His Dark Materials

It's the name of a trilogy of books by Philip Pullman and although they're in probably the same age group as Harry Potter is focused towards, they are quite good. It seems they're also going to be made into movies. Seems fantasy is making a large come back!

WarnerBros.com | Home of WB Movies, TV, Games, and more!

Also, my daemon was a Chimpanzee according to the test.
Modest, solitary, humble, competitive, and spontaneous.

I got a Crow Daemon. It says "Solitary, humble, assertive, spontaneous, and a leader." Wow, those results are mostly the opposite of what I'd say was true. Hmm.

Funnily enough, I was chatting with a guy over the LotRO audio channel about precisely this series just a few days ago. He is wrapt with it. Can't speak highly enough about it. Check it out.

I got a fox daemon. It says that i'm Modest, Assertive, Humble, Spontaneous, and Responsible. I guess that does represent my personality.

I'd like a talking cat (tiger works I guess) or perhaps a horse (ala Mercedes Lackey's Companions). Of course, the Companions didn't speak out loud, but I guess the same concept is there. They weren't the Heralds' actual souls but were definitely akin to soulmates (though not "lifebonded" unless in some specific cases).

My daemon is Zyrxy, a tiger.

I'm halfway thru The Subtle Knife now, and tbh it's not my favorite series ever.
I do however, love Lyra's world and the whole daemon thing. I may just pick up Lyra's Oxford, the side-story novel.

Modest, spontaneous, solitary, shy and dependable. Your Deamon Athenestia is one of 8151 fox Deamons within the total Daemon population of 150244.

I would say that hits it right on the nose.. Though I must say, that trailer was fairly boring.

In the end, most of my friends changed it from a linx to a ermine to a hare. Still says I have the same traits, though. Ah well. Remis is a good little bunny bun...

I have a feeling that, if he were real, he'd bite me for that.

Just picked this one up. On... chapter 4? I think it is.. Anyway. Seems pretty good.

I'm planning to put it up on the shelf until I finish A Feast for Crows, then pick it back up later. The soul reason I picked up this book is because the main character reminds me of Arya, lol. The mood of the story and the writing style are also pleasant. I'll give a better review once I've actually read through the books.

Though you might not have thought it would be, SomethingAwful's book forum is actually pretty interesting and has intelligent discussions about a wide variety of books.

The thread there about His Dark Materials brings up some of the issues I had with the second and third books, myself.
Some good discussion points in general, as well.

Just finished the third book. In hindsight, most likely the best, and the saddest story I have ever read/watched/known. I've enjoyed reading other books, but because of my screwed up schedules, I don't have a much time for them during my daily routine... But this series was breaking me, literally. I took these books with me to work, to eat, to the computer, and to bed. Not reading them was like having a knife poking me in the eyes. While the first book wasn't doing much for me, by half way through the second, I was hooked something crazy.

The story itself was way different from a routine "tall-tale." I'm always one for a far out story line like The Matrix or Back to the Future, but this one threw me for a loop, and kicked me in the balls... with every chapter. Sure, there were flaws, and sometimes character development didn't get passed around like it should, but every book has that. What I really didn't expect from a children-aimed-book-series, was the incredible emotion put into love and sadness in the final book. In fact, having typed this up, I will easily say I hold this series above any other I've read.... But all good things come to an end... It's a shame that the way the story ended made me a very sad panda... and the fact I've got to look for another series to read... Here's to hoping that regardless of what I read next, it will be at least half as good.

The last book did leave me with a feeling of sadness.. And I was surprised how it seemed to realize "Hey, children are a bit more mature than some of us think.." It did not lessen how much any child might know already, but worked from it to show the joys of childhood more, and what comes with growing up.

Back