Dismiss Notice
Alien Soup is a free community for fans of science-fiction, horror, & fantasy! Everybody is welcome here.

History

Discussion in 'The Site' started by Azhria Lilu, Jan 25, 2003.

1. Azhria Lilu

Azhria Lilu Rocket Ranger

AllAlias.com was founded around Feb 17th 2001. We've grown from 10 page views a day to 50 to 100 to 500 to 1,000 to 5,000 to now over 20,000 page views a day.

Version 1: Beta version on Geocities, in early Feb.. Work began on this in late 2001 but then stopped and resumed in Feb.

Verson 2: Basic frames site using (sadly) Frontpage. Began things like Random Alias Fact and The Alias Newsletter, still traditions today.

Version 3: In late March 2002, George designed a much better looking site. It was red. Sadly, at first the plain red background was at first a bitmap file, meaning that it took forever to download a solid background. This was soon fixed. The version used more advanced technologies.

Version 4: This version was also designed by George. It was dark-red/purple and gray. The flaw in this, however, was it was hard to read text. Introduced things like The Alias Dictionary

Version 5: There were so many version fives before the final one went live. One was a very nice light blue, but when the site went down I didn't want to wait to copy files manually, so to bring the site to everyone sooner this version was introduced. The archive uses this version. It, like versions 1 and 2, was designed in Frontpage.

Version 6: You are currently viewing version six, which is basically a souped-up forums.

Version 6.02: (March 2003) - Transtition into 6.05 which will basically just add banner ads (sigh).

Version 6.05: (June 2003) - Banner ads at bottom of pages

AllAlias.com is the work of countless hours by many people, and would not be the same without any of you. Thanks for making AllAlias.com what it is today.

2. The Kate Vartan

The Kate Vartan Rocket Ranger

Wow that's amazing, really neat!

3. Alias_Gay

Alias_Gay Rocket Ranger

Thanks for keeping it on a roll ... I would be lost without this site ... (y)

4. Intel

Intel Rocket Ranger

That's really cool! Amazing from what something starts out with them to what it is now :)

5. Scarlet Crystal

Scarlet Crystal Bibbity Rabbity

fascinating. i love allalias. :)

6. ALIAS_RULES

ALIAS_RULES Rocket Ranger

Charlie, thank you so much for this site!!!!

7. vaughnandsydney

vaughnandsydney Rocket Ranger

You have done such an awesome job Charlie! You rock!

8. the_alliance

the_alliance Rocket Ranger

i think i came in on version 5 (sept. or oct. 2002) anyways, where are the archives for the old forums?

9. ISpy10

ISpy10 Rocket Ranger

All Alias.com is the best website! Charlie and the others keep it looking so awesome!