HJ is coming out, right...?

I <3 EQ2, it's just a game I played obsessivly once upon a time. I ADORED the crafting system, and had way more fun with housing than should be allowed. As well as incrediable RP on Antonia Bayle that has yet to be topped in the year and half or so I've been away from the game :smiley:

I played WoW for 2 years. I had fun. =p

I am also going by what my boss has told me. She played EQ for MANY years. EQ2 and WoW came out at about the same time I believe. She tried EQ2 first and then WoW. Dropped EQ2 in a heartbeat. It might have changed a bit since launch, but I am just not seeing it as being enough.

Both WoW and EQ2 have changed by leaps and bounds since launch. And on the scale of things to do and RP, EQ2 wins out by a long shot. While WoW wins out on classes. I tossed WoW right out the window the day I downloaded the EQ2 trial. To each their own :smiley:

Originally, when I got my copy of WoW, I was going to Walmart to put my lay-awayed WoW copy back onto the store shelves because night elf eyebrows scared me...true story.

From a WoW vet's perspective, I can't get into the roleplay on EQ2. WoW's is more out-in-the-open. Maybe I've just had horrible luck, but I just don't see anyone in the act of roleplay, even in spite of the vast majority with roleplay flags on their character names.

My account's still good through Saturday, at least, but I'm not finding the roleplay that everyone's talking about.

WoW roleplay? Well the only WoW roleplay i seen and i played on 3 different servers is folks roleplaying Jerks! They are/were good at it too!

No i am not sarcastic.....

Well considering i did try 3 server, 1 PVP, 1 RP-PVP and 1 normal server i think it's a good sampling, no?

This of course was over the course of a few months, which i think should be enough for any veteran MMO player to have a good idea of the server and it's population.

Well, I found gold on the first server I played on, Earthen Ring. That was a while ago, though, and I know roleplay is now hit-or-miss in some places on WoW. I'm doing fine on Moon Guard now, though, and on both sides.

But I couldn't find EQ2 roleplay areas for the life of me. I guess people just do it differently there.

I'm with Tyrson on EQ2. Except..I could find it, but it was not stuff I was welcome in. It was always rather hard to get someone to pay attention to me and start up rp or become a part of anything. It might be the lack of guild, but once it needs a guild to come, I think RP is on it's last leg.

I think that RP is so hard to find too on a lot of games because of that "established" mentality.

People are either floating around from game to game, bored, and looking for SOME game out there that's fun and new...

Or they are "established" in one game and have been for awhile. They know their crew, their clique, and they rarely go "outside" of it. If you're lucky to run into them, you can get accepted in, but they are hard to find.

... and out of curiousity Nefermore are you on the AoC-RP boards?

Well, Vahsyl, one of the biggest reasons I liked playing DragonRealms back in the day, was that it was a sort of mixture of the two extremes.

Yes, there was an established community, but there were constantly new people coming in and being welcomed with open arms. The Mentor system did wonders for countless newbies, myself included, and pretty much every person I ever met in the game was eager to roleplay with me and to help me if I needed it.

In WoW, however, if you logged onto the Roleplaying Server "Argent Dawn" and had no clue how to roleplay, a lot of the "established" roleplayers looked down on you for being a newb. They rarely stopped to help fledging RPers.

The root of such snobbery, however, I think was not just elitism, but the fact that RPers in WoW had no resources to work with, and were very, very frustrated. They had to put up with spammers, griefers, and all the dregs of the internet, because there was absolutely no enforcement.

People had names like, and I quote from my own experience, "Rpsucks" and "Jollywang". If you roleplayed with a large group of people in the middle a large city, you would get spat on, laughed at, and constantly harassed. If you reported people, you'd generally never see a GM because they took hours to respond, and then when they did show up they'd deliver a slap on the wrist and disappear. Then the next fifty jackasses in line would start getting their rocks off by annoying you without pause.

WoW does nothing to support Roleplay. DragonRealms, however, does everything to support Roleplay.

~Dune Walker~

Well, Vahsyl, one of the biggest reasons I liked playing DragonRealms back in the day, was that it was a sort of mixture of the two extremes.

Yes, there was an established community, but there were constantly new people coming in and being welcomed with open arms. The Mentor system did wonders for countless newbies, myself included, and pretty much every person I ever met in the game was eager to roleplay with me and to help me if I needed it.

In WoW, however, if you logged onto the Roleplaying Server "Argent Dawn" and had no clue how to roleplay, a lot of the "established" roleplayers looked down on you for being a newb. They rarely stopped to help fledging RPers.

The root of such snobbery, however, I think was not just elitism, but the fact that RPers in WoW had no resources to work with, and were very, very frustrated. They had to put up with spammers, griefers, and all the dregs of the internet, because there was absolutely no enforcement.

People had names like, and I quote from my own experience, "Rpsucks" and "Jollywang". If you roleplayed with a large group of people in the middle a large city, you would get spat on, laughed at, and constantly harassed. If you reported people, you'd generally never see a GM because they took hours to respond, and then when they did show up they'd deliver a slap on the wrist and disappear. Then the next fifty jackasses in line would start getting their rocks off by annoying you without pause.

WoW does nothing to support Roleplay. DragonRealms, however, does everything to support Roleplay.

~Dune Walker~

Yeah, I agree... WoW did the most to drive RPers and non-RPers into a battle...

That's why I want to play a game with FFA PvP where you can talk to everyone. No factions without the ability to communicate.

When people can police themselves... when there are consequences for bad behavior, even if it's just in chat... people learn to be more polite, open, and welcoming. Otherwise they risk getting attacked.

Also I did notice that in DR. Everyone was so welcoming... helping people role-play if they didn't know what it was, and helping role-players out by just giving them stuff. It was great... too bad a text based game just doesn't keep my attention long enough anymore.

Oh, I'd completely still play if the numbers behind everything weren't so friggen insane. Wall ranks, endless skill grinding, messed up economy, they're only just getting around to fixing brawling...

Plus, I don't want to get sucked into DR again right now, because I have no clue when HJ will come out and I really want to just jump straight into that without having to tear myself away from DR once I get back into the swing of things.

~Dune Walker~

Oh, I'd completely still play if the numbers behind everything weren't so friggen insane. Wall ranks, endless skill grinding, messed up economy, they're only just getting around to fixing brawling...

Plus, I don't want to get sucked into DR again right now, because I have no clue when HJ will come out and I really want to just jump straight into that without having to tear myself away from DR once I get back into the swing of things.

~Dune Walker~

Well I would wager you have at least a year before you play HJ. I could be wrong but that is what I think the minimum time is. Sad as that is to me. Which is why I am looking forward to WAR and AoC just to hopefully have something fun to play until I find the game that keeps me. I really want to be in a world and not feel like I am playing a game but will play a game I have fun in until I find that world.

I just really like MMOs and actually really like DR but ended up quitting again just because I don't have fun with their combat and pretty much unless you are a trader or an Empath you need to fight to make cash.

Heh, I rolled an empath just to fund my combat character's buying of pretty stuff so I didn't have to take them out grinding.

And my uneducated guess is about a year as well, even if bug testing might be done by the GM staff there's still stress tests and hardware that need to be run. So my suggestion is, have fun while you wait. If HJ is as good as it's suppose to be for all of us, it should drag us happily from whatever game we're playing at the time :smiley:

I've lost a lot of interest in playing any MMO right now. Mostly because I don't have the time to continue playing. So my only online experience is within Heroblade.... It's just not the same though.

Back