Home to Stay

Michael must be a pig if he wears his underware more than one day and leaves them to hang on the door knob (probably to air out). My two sons wouldn't think of doing that. In fact, they change their boxers every time they take a shower, sometimes a couple of times a the day.
:smiley: glad to hear it!

ewww... boxers on the door knob. thats like underwear...yuck i agree. poor syd slob michael all over her clean apartment. update update update i wanna know what happened sophmore year.

Chapter 24

-August, 1999-

Squinting her eyes up into the beating sun, Sydney tried to pay attention, but she was struggling more and more with each sweat bead that dripped from her hairline and burned a trail down her face. When she volunteered to return to school two days early in the first semester of her sophomore year so that she could help the transfer students ease their way into the new atmosphere. She thought it would be a nice way to help out. She didn’t, however, anticipate it being ten thousand degrees outside with one hundred percent humidity. To make matters worse, she was supposed to be helping people move in… a.k.a. carrying their heavy felgercarb up stairs in the heat.

“…Alright, as long as there are no questions, go and welcome your new classmates!” the dean of students finished her speech. Questions? What was she saying? I hope it wasn’t anything important, Sydney thought with a sigh.

Shrugging it off as a rah-rah school speech she didn’t exactly want to hear anyway, she walked off towards Musser Dormitory, her designated post of the day. She loved her school, she really did, but there were only so many ‘we’re so wonderful’ speeches she could hear before she began to fight the urge to gag. She was excited about starting her sophomore year, though; she was determined it would be better than her last. Not that her first year was bad, it was just that she spent the majority of the first half of the year well… moping and missing him. ‘Him’ being her high school boyfriend slash first love, Michael Vaughn.

Ironically, their first ‘I love you’ admissions had come at the end of the summer, just as they were parting ways to begin their respective college careers at different schools nearly halfway across the country from one another. Since that time, Sydney had only spoken with Michael twice, both times through e-mail. The first was only a week after she’d seen him and it was the basic ‘I’m here, I’m alive, my roommate sucks’ message. The next had been a month later and wasn’t any more detailed except to say that in addition to hating his roommate, he hated his classes as well. She hadn’t even seen him over winter or summer break. It seemed timing simply wasn’t on their side.

Over winter break Sydney’s parents dragged her and her sister on a ski vacation thus giving her only one short week at her house, during which time she was busy spending quality time with her mother, who had missed her terribly. Over summer vacation, she was busy working and she knew that Michael’s parents (and most likely him as well) were away in Seattle with Mrs. Vaughn’s parents, who had fallen ill, for most of July and August. Neither one of them, or perhaps both of them were to blame though. As much as Michael didn’t attempt to contact Sydney, she did not attempt to contact him either.

Sydney arrived at the Musser building, fanning herself with the folder of information packets in her hand. She saw two other girls, who were also volunteering, standing there waiting for students to arrive. She would have approached them, except she had no idea who they were and thus, talking to them would have been pointless, so she simply stood nearby the building, kicking tiny stones around at her feet. She had only been standing there a few minutes when someone snuck up behind her and covered her eyes with their hands.

Sydney jumped slightly at suddenly being blinded but then she heard, “Guess who,” whispered in her ear in a smooth, familiar tone. She let out a scream as she spun around and threw her arms around Michael’s neck, hugging him tightly. “What are you doing here?” she asked, pulling back with a grin spread across her face.

“What do you mean, what am I doing here?” he retorted with his ever-present smile. “I go here!” he said as if it was entirely obvious.

“What? NO!”

“Yes, I transferred.”

“NO!”

“YES,” he laughed. Sydney squealed and hugged him once more.

“Oh my god… what? I mean… how…,” she stammered, searching for an explanation.

“Well, basically my other school sucked,” he told her. “I knew I wanted to transfer like right away, but it was too complicated to switch at the semester break, apparently, so I had to spend a whole terrible year there.”

“But… why here?” she asked, hoping selfishly that the reason would be her.

“Well, the drama department’s pretty good… it’s much closer to home and… well, this school might have had another brown-eyed advantage,” he said, stroking her cheek slightly.

She smiled back at him for a moment before smacking his arm. “That’s for not telling me you were coming.”

“But where’s the fun in that?” he laughed, rubbing his stinging skin. “But look at you!” he took a step back, her hands clasped in his as he admired her. “I almost didn’t recognize you. You are aware that this top is pink, right? Since when do you wear pink?”

“It’s coral,” she corrected. He rolled his eyes. “And… well, last year my roommate collaborated with Nadia to give me a makeover. I was forced,” she said with a slight shrug.

“Oh,” he laughed. “I missed you.”

“I missed you too, a lot.”

“I missed you more than a lot.”

“I missed you-”

“Oh please, spare us,” Michael’s father interrupted Sydney. She looked over at him, laughing slightly, and saw that he was weighted down with duffle bags. “Where do we put this felgercarb?

“Come with me,” she waved the Vaughn family towards the Musser building. “What room are you in?”

“243 West,” Michael told her.

She looked over her shoulder with a smile. “I’m in 343 West.”

“Serious?!” Michael laughed.

“Oh boy, this spells trouble,” Mr. Vaughn said to his wife.

Michael gave him an unamused look before grabbing Sydney’s hand and squeezing it. “We’re like neighbors.”

“Like always,” she said with a smile.

For the rest of the morning, Sydney helped Michael move in his things in between helping out the other transfer students who were moving in. As it turned out, there weren’t that many transfer students moving into Musser, so Sydney was free to hang out in Michael’s room. His new roommate had yet to arrive, but Sydney knew who it was and assured Michael it wouldn’t be too painful and they’d get along just fine, most likely anyway.

After grabbing lunch at the cafeteria, Michael’s mother did one final check of his dorm room, making sure he had everything, before saying goodbye to both Sydney and Michael. Only seconds after they were gone, Michael had Sydney in a passionate lip-lock, one aspect of their relationship they had both missed greatly over their year apart.

When Sydney pulled back, it took her a moment to regain her senses before she asked cautiously, “So… uh, what’s going on here? I mean are we…”

“If you wanna,” he smiled.

She smiled back. “Yeah, I wanna.”

“I wanna, too.”

damn i was reading and then i went to skip the next 2 pages to read more and theres not
he transfered for her
hes awesome

Aww he suprised her by transfering!!!!!
-That's too cute!!! :love:
I bet she was glad she volunteered then!!! :D
-Great update!! Loved it!!

Back