Hopefully HJ will be published in a box.

F

frostydf2

I always love seeing games I follow published in a box. That may seem retarded, but actually most MMORGP's are not published, and made available in stores. I think this in the end would bring in more revenue, and add a nice touch.

What are your opinons? Do you want it published in a box, or via a download? or both!?

yeah and plus if you have to download the game on release its usually very hard to dowload and takes forever to download it with all the other people downloading it at the same time. like when catacombs came out for DAoC it was their first major downloadable expansion and it took FOREVER for people to download it. some it took 30+ hours which is rediculous. I personally would like it in a box. just having the CD handy if i ever need it to reinstall without downloading it again and i like to be able to take the manual to work with me after release so i can read up on it during my free time at work. passes the time and i can get most of what i need to know about it for when i get home :D

Box, duh. Online download available to people who have already purchased the game. Why you might ask? I am a big sucker for collecting my games in their original boxes, I still have ever mmorpg in its original box with all the manuals and such... Well with the exception of the original Daoc box (that thing was huge) which fell apart due to misstreatment.

Originally posted by Ocius@Mar 3 2006, 02:50 PM
Well with the exception of the original Daoc box (that thing was huge) which fell apart due to misstreatment.
lol i remember that thing. felt like you were bringing a suitcase home from the store :lol:

Personally I prefer not having a box. Driving to buy it and then having to
remember were you put it everytime you want to reinstall can be a real pain. <_<

Originally posted by Aries@Mar 3 2006, 05:04 PM
Personally I prefer not having a box. Driving to buy it and then having to
remember were you put it everytime you want to reinstall can be a real pain. <_<
I can understand that, but from what I've seen. Games that come in boxes get more publicity. Thus with more publicity, get more money, more money equals better support, and more content.

Thats how it should work, sometimes it gets skewed by eveil companies....

BLIZZARD....

Definately both... I don't even know why this is being discussed. Could yield more potential players and it's a nice courtesy to extend to your customers. Some like convienence, especially if you didn't preorder and your local EB games is out of copies. Others want something tangible they can collect, a user manual, and mabye after a reformat it's infanetly more easy to reinstall from a disc then having to go DL it again.

Personally, I don't care about the box, and the user manual is ALWAYS a sad replacement to information found on the net. However, anything to save me from that rediculous download is certainly nice. I've used both avenues and they certainly have their advantages.

You could do it GW style and release a small sized client to the public, and get the bulk from the update servers as you reach new content as you progress. Personally, I was very pleased with this when it was in beta stages.

yea and you can only get the basics from a user's manual and there is no telling when something in that manual is changed so you'll be reading about something that was changed or doesnt exist in the game anymore. for an MMO, the longer its been out, the less accurate the manual is except the basics.

Originally posted by larkonits@Mar 4 2006, 04:21 AM
yea and you can only get the basics from a user's manual and there is no telling when something in that manual is changed so you'll be reading about something that was changed or doesnt exist in the game anymore. for an MMO, the longer its been out, the less accurate the manual is except the basics.
Yea, but a user's manual usually provides some good reading when you're on the john though! I don't know about you, but for some reason I have a huge stack of game manuals next to the toilet haha!

Im another non-box person.

My flat isnt the biggest place in the world and I have no room for loads of game boxes.
I have all copies of my CD's on one of my storage hard drives and if they are downloadable then they are always available on the net :smiley:

I hardly have time to go down to town to buy the game. I dont wanna have to stand in a big queue for ages, and I certainly dont wanna have to drive around the car parks looking for a space to park in, then having to pay an extra £1 to park.

Most companies will have a download now, play later view. Like Halflife 2. I pre-downloaded the game and then as soon as we were allowed I activated it and played.
With WoW I had the beta which was converted with the retail patch. and I ordered my key from an online store and they opened the box and emailed me the key.

Instant home shopping :smiley:

Originally posted by frostydf2@Mar 4 2006, 06:29 AM
Yea, but a user's manual usually provides some good reading when you're on the john though! I don't know about you, but for some reason I have a huge stack of game manuals next to the toilet haha!
HA! i know what you mean i still have manuals to games i dont even have anymore lol :lol:

Originally posted by Valo@Mar 4 2006, 10:57 AM
Most companies will have a download now, play later view. Like Halflife 2. I pre-downloaded the game and then as soon as we were allowed I activated it and played.
Personally I think that would be the best case senario with HJ. It would let those
with a slower connection be ready to play when the game goes live.

I agree with boxed...
Not only does it expand the community but it grabs everyone...

The moms looking to buy their kids a good game... :blink:

And game section whores in stores.
That wander around the game section in search of an awesome game to play...

Not everyone looks at mmorpg.com or ign.com or anything of the sort. <_<

Originally posted by killarai@Mar 12 2006, 12:03 AM
I agree with boxed...
Not only does it expand the community but it grabs everyone...

The moms looking to buy their kids a good game... :blink:

And game section whores in stores.
That wander around the game section in search of an awesome game to play...

Not everyone looks at mmorpg.com or ign.com or anything of the sort. <_<
In fact I agree with your arguement so much, that I would dare to say that MMORPG.com and IGN.com are the minorities.

Again as it was stated before I think Guild Wars had the best idea when it came to selling their product. They had an available torrent-like download on their webpage in which you could start to download the product. Or the basics. Then as you went through certain areas, you would download what you needed... textures, sounds, etc. Then when you would go into a new area those downloaded items would then be applied to the new area.

Also, this would finnally add up to the entire game, just over time. Something cool though, is that when you bought it on the internet you still got a box shipped to you with multiple characters on the front.

Internet downloading is awsome, but also include a boxed shipping if needed! Always box your game is what I think.

yeah, alot of times if I'm looking for a new game I head on out and see what is in the local gamer store. I dont reserch alot of games and every once in a while I find something just by chedking out the boxes. You start looking around and see a game that has like 50 awards stamped on it (like I hope HJ gets, it deserves it) you start to wonder" damn, how did I miss this?!".
The game should be made availiable via download and retail stores.

Box...definately box. I HATE downloading all that stuff when I get a new computer or if I do an upgrade. And I really like having a manual to peek through...... :confused: :D

Back