Movies Horror Movie Remakes

Tom

An Old Friend
UHM | TAG | REMAKES Lists the movies being remade and their status. There are lots of remakes I had no idea were being done. Some I desperately want to see and some are WTF? moments. I've been waiting for the Creature From The Black Lagoon remake for years. Glad to see there is progress on it.

A Nightmare on Elm Street

In Talks

No official plot yet, but it's rumored that the studio wants to go "back to the drawing board, working...

Alice, Sweet Alice

In Development

Focuses on Alice, a 12-year-old girl consumed with jealousy of her “perfect” younger sister Karen. When Karen is...

American Psycho

In Development

No official plot yet, but it's described as a "down and dirty new version that imagines how yuppie...

An American Werewolf in London

Pre-Production

No official plot yet, but the original told the story of a couple American tourists, who are attacked by a local...

Angel Heart

In Development

Follows the exploits of Harry Angel, a New York detective hired by a mysterious client to track down a once-...

Audition

Pre-Production

A lonely widower gets more than he bargains for when he puts out a fake casting call to find a new girlfriend.

Black Butterfly

Pre-Production

Antonio Banderas will play a down-on-his-luck screenwriter who picks up a drifter (Meyers) and offers him a place...

Blood Feast

Post-Production

Fuad Ramses and his family have moved from the United States to France, where they run an American diner. Since...

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

In Development

No official plot yet, but the original film and television series followed a teenage girl, who learns that she is...

C.U.J.O.

Pre-Production

No official plot yet.

Child's Play

Limbo

No official plot yet, but the original told the story of a killer who transferred his soul into a doll, which...

Cubed

On Hold

No official plot yet, but (like the original) the remake will use the setup of seven strangers trapped in a giant...

Day of the Dead

In Production

The post-apocalyptic tale follows a former medical student tormented by a dark figure from her past, who happens...

Deadly Friend

In Talks

No official plot yet, but the original focused on a group of young friends that implant a robot's AI into the...

Death Note

In Production

Follows a high school student who comes across a supernatural notebook, realizing it holds within it a great power...

Don't Look Now

In Development

No official plot yet, but the original starred Donald Sutherland and Julie Christie as a couple grieving the death...

Firestarter

In Development

No official plot yet, but the original revolved around a young girl with the ability to control fire simply with...

Flatliners

Post-Production

Follows a group of medical students who experiment with “near death” experiences that involve past tragedies until...

Frankenstein

In Talks

No official plot yet, but the original told the story of a mad scientist named Dr. Frankenstein, whose obsession...

Friday the 13th

Pre-Production

No official plot yet.

Ghost Graduation

In Development

No official plot yet, but the original centered on a teacher with paranormal abilities, who helps a group of...

Gremlins

In Development

No official plot yet.

Hellraiser

In Development

No official plot yet, but the original told the story of a mysterious puzzle box that's the key to unleashing...

Hidden in the Woods

Awaiting Release

No official plot yet, but the original revolved around two sisters whom have been raised in isolation, under the...

Housebound

In Development

The original revolved around a rebellious young woman who is forced to return to her country home thanks to a...

I Am Legend 2

In Development

No official plot yet.

I Know What You Did Last Summer

In Development

No official plot yet, but the original followed a group of friends that are stalked by a killer a year after a...

Inside

Awaiting Release

Young mother-to-be Sarah is trying to rebuild her broken life: recently widowed in a shattering car crash that...

Interview With the Vampire

In Development

No official plot yet.

It

Post-Production

Follows a group of kids called the "Losers Club" that encounter a creature called It, which preys on...

Jacob's Ladder

Pre-Production

No official plot yet, but it's being described as a "modern-day paranoid action thriller about two...

Lifeforce

Pre-Production

Lifeforce, a reimagining of the 1985 classic film (based on Colin Wilson’s novel “The Space Vampires”), follows a...

Livid

In Development

The film revolves around a young home nursing aide who works in a remote country estate and discovers that her...

Maniac Cop

Pre-Production

Follows one determined female cop who's set out to reveal the truth after the LAPD attempts a cover up when...

Nightmare City

Pre-Production

After the outbreak of an unknown virus in the Caribbean the Miami Port Authority receives an SOS from an...

Nosferatu

In Development

No official plot yet, but it's being described as "a visceral adaptation of F.W. Murnau’s 1922 silent...

Nosferatu

In Production

No official plot yet, but this is said to be a "remix" of the original film with a mixture of live-...

Pet Sematary

In Development

No official plot yet, but the original told the story of a family that moves to a small Maine town with a pet...

Pumpkinhead

In Development

No official plot yet, but the original followed a demonic creature called Pumpkinhead that's summoned to...

Puppet Master: The Littlest Reich

In Development

Follows a recently divorced young man who discovers a mint condition Blade doll in his deceased brother’s closet...

Rabid

Pre-Production

No official plot yet, but the original film revolved around a woman "who attempts to move from her successful...

Scanners

In Development

The original film was about a guy with extraordinary psychic abilities, who hunts down a group of "scanners...

See No Evil

In Development

No official plot yet, but the original starred Mia Farrow as a young blind woman returns to her uncle’s English...

Shivers

Pre-Production

In Shivers, a genetically-engineered strain of parasites that turn people into violent, compulsive sex-addicts is...

Sleepaway Camp

In Development

No official plot yet, but the story is said to begin with Angela (Felissa Rose) who has been locked up in Smith...

Spawn

In Development

No official plot yet.

Starship Troopers

In Development

No official plot yet, but the film is based on the sci-fi war novel by Robert A. Heinlein that told the military...

Strangeland: Disciple

In Development

No official plot yet, but it's said that we'll see the return of "Captain Howdy" as the film...

Suspiria

In Production

The film follows Susie Bannion, a young American woman who travels to the prestigious Markos Tanz Company in...

The Birds

In Development

No official plot yet, but the original told of a town riddled with birds which attack anyone in sight.

The Blob

Pre-Production

When a band of miners uncover something hidden deep beneath the earth they unwittingly unleash a hideous creature...

The Brood

In Development

Follows a woman who telepathically communicates with her group of mutant children, instructing them to act out...

The Changeling

In Development

No official plot yet, but the original was about a man, who tries to solve the mystery behind the mysterious...

The City of the Dead

In Development

No official plot yet, but the original followed a student who travels to a small New England town to research...

The Creature From the Black Lagoon

In Development

Centers on a group of scientists who embark upon a fossil-hunting expedition up the Amazon river. Things get messy...

The Crow

Pre-Production

Said to be a "gritty reboot of the gothic iconic character Eric Draven, who returns from the grave as The...

The Entity

In Development

No official plot yet, but the original followed a woman whose life crumbles when she believes she is being...

The Exorcist

In Talks

No official plot yet.

The Gate

Development Unknown

When best friends Miles and Terry discover a mysterious crystalline rock in Miles's back yard, they quickly...

The Grudge

In Development

No official plot yet, but the original told of a curse that locks a person in a powerful rage before claiming...

The House at the End of Time

In Development

Follows a mother who returns to the site of a crime that took place 30 years earlier and left her family shattered...

The Orphanage

In Development

A remake of the Spanish film, which told the story of a woman who returns to the orphanage she grew up in, and...

The Plantation

In Development

Betsy, a young haunted school teacher, is running from her past. She accepts the generous offer from Mr. Theroux,...

The Sentinel

In Development

No official plot yet, but the original revolved around a fashion model that moves into an unbelievably nice...

The Substitute

In Development

Revolves around a terrified sixth-grade class as the students race to reveal to their parents that their new...

The Swarm

In Development

In trying to prevent a killer bee attack, a scientist looks for a better solution to the problem than the one the...

The Toxic Avenger

In Development

No official plot yet, but this is said to be a "re-imagining of Troma’s cult classic, which tells the story...

The Witches

In Development

The original followed a young boy who discovers a gathering of witches in a seaside resort.

The Wolf Man

In Development

No official plot yet.

They Live

In Talks

In the original film we followed a homeless construction worker, who stumbles upon a pair of glasses that enables...

Two Eyes Staring

Pre-Production

No official plot yet, but the original tells the story of a nine-year-old girl, who discovers that her sinister...

Under the Shadow

In Development

No official plot yet, but it's said to be set during the Blitz of London.

Van Helsing

In Development

No official plot yet.

Versus

In Talks

No official plot yet, but the original story told of a group of reincarnated fighters who meet at a mystical...

What Have You Done to Solange?

In Development

No official plot yet, but the original was set at an all-girls school where a killer is on the loose and a Gym...

Witchfinder General

In Development

No official plot yet, but the original starred Vincent Price and was set in Norfolk, England, in 1645 and was a...

Zero Dark Thirty

In Development

The film revolves around a U.S. Army solider named Andy Woodward, who returns home from Afghanistan -- weeks after...

Some of these titles I didn't even know were already movies?

I'm not usually a fan of remakes regardless of how they adjust the timeline, parallel universe, etc. I did watch BSG and the new ST movies and I understand why they adjusted the way they have but I don't enjoy either as much or find them as interesting, particularly ST. The special effects are great but the storylines always revert back to blowing up the ship or killing off a main character.

The last remake I really enjoyed was about 1975; Young Frankenstein... and that was total buffoonery. About the only time I watch a remake is when there is absolutely nothing else on TV. Pay to see it? Uh... no.

I'm not usually a fan of remakes regardless of how they adjust the timeline, parallel universe, etc. I did watch BSG and the new ST movies and I understand why they adjusted the way they have but I don't enjoy either as much or find them as interesting, particularly ST. The special effects are great but the storylines always revert back to blowing up the ship or killing off a main character.

The last remake I really enjoyed was about 1975; Young Frankenstein... and that was total buffoonery. About the only time I watch a remake is when there is absolutely nothing else on TV. Pay to see it? Uh... no.

What do you think about Denis Villeneuve directing the DUNE remake?

There's a lot of material to cover and I'd prefer a series over a 2 or 3 hour movie, but I think we might be in for something special.

What do you think about Denis Villeneuve directing the DUNE remake?

There's a lot of material to cover and I'd prefer a series over a 2 or 3 hour movie, but I think we might be in for something special.
I may be thinking of a different project but wasn't there talk of the movie remake being the basis for a TV series (movie first then series)?

I may be thinking of a different project but wasn't there talk of the movie remake being the basis for a TV series (movie first then series)?

I think the Villeneuve film is set to be a single project that if successful would definitely spawn sequels but I don't think its even known if the movie is planned as a one off, an attempt to cover all ground, or an experiment to see if a mass audience gives a felgercarb enough to warrant more coverage of the story.

I think a Netflix or HBO series is a better way to approach the source material.. maybe a TV series is on the way.. but I just love all the this "high" profile material Denis is getting. He's clearly a strong storyteller, wouldn't you agree?

I think the Villeneuve film is set to be a single project that if successful would definitely spawn sequels but I don't think its even known if the movie is planned as a one off, an attempt to cover all ground, or an experiment to see if a mass audience gives a felgercarb enough to warrant more coverage of the story.

I think a Netflix or HBO series is a better way to approach the source material.. maybe a TV series is on the way.. but I just love all the this "high" profile material Denis is getting. He's clearly a strong storyteller, wouldn't you agree?
With his work on Arrival and the upcoming Blade Runner: 2049 sequel it'll be interesting to see what he does with Dune. I have to admit though, outside of Sicario, which is another recent work, I'm not familiar with his older projects. Any particular titles I should queue on up Netflix? I watch almost any genre and I did enjoy Sicario.

For a series, I think Netflix these days is able to give HBO a good run for their money in terms of quality shows. Netflix has the cash and is willing to spend it to bring in talent. Amazon got some good exposure with Man in the High Castle but that's about it.

With his work on Arrival and the upcoming Blade Runner: 2049 sequel it'll be interesting to see what he does with Dune. I have to admit though, outside of Sicario, which is another recent work, I'm not familiar with his older projects. Any particular titles I should queue on up Netflix? I watch almost any genre and I did enjoy Sicario.

For a series, I think Netflix these days is able to give HBO a good run for their money in terms of quality shows. Netflix has the cash and is willing to spend it to bring in talent. Amazon got some good exposure with Man in the High Castle but that's about it.

You're right about NF. (y)

Arrival is a damn fine piece of work. It's a film that will gather fans as time passes. No doubt.

I'm excited for Runner 2049.

Have you seen Incendies? Look into it. Prisoners is a solid drama.

I agree, Dune would need to be a mini series. There's just no way to compress it into a normal movie format especially when most people these days are used to 90 minute format.

I agree, Dune would need to be a mini series. There's just no way to compress it into a normal movie format especially when most people these days are used to 90 minute format.
I don't see Dune as mini-series material. I see Dune as multi-movie series material. Three to six movies per book. Sorta like Peter Jackson did with Tolkien for The Hobbit and LOTR.

Novels
A flim series that accounts for all the books using the Dune Universe Chronology to tell the whole story as one sweeping project.

Lists the movies being remade and their status. There are lots of remakes I had no idea were being done.
One more... Halloween is getting rebooted also, announced by John Carpenter yesterday.

John Carpenter said:
So you say you want a Revolution?

You want to shake things up and bring back Halloween and make it rock again?

Well so do I.

So here’s the announcement you’ve all been waiting for:
David Gordon Green and Danny McBride are joining the project to complete the creative team. David and Danny will write the script together and David will direct. I will continue in my executive producer role to consult and offer my advice and feedback as needed.

David and Danny both came to my office recently with Jason Blum and shared their vision for the new movie and…WOW. They get it. I think you’re gonna dig it. They blew me away.

I might even do the music. Maybe. It could be kind of cool.

And you’ll get to see it in theaters on October 19th, 2018.

Glad to know about this. But for me the most horror movie was "The Mummy" I have seen this movie many years ago. Even I can remember that day clearly.

I just got Wrong Turn 2021. IMdb rating 5.4 with 7,775 voters.
Its supposed to be a different storyline than the original Wrong Turn films.
Might watch that tonight.

there is a blatty book after exorcist called "legion". i like how carpenter did all his own music, and basically his success was largely dependent on his prowess as a musician. he was smart enough to know how good he was, and smart enough to do something with it. wow. one of my real heroes. his films in the beginning were lo budgie, one was just 60 grand, and when you can make many millions for less than 100grand well thats the ticket aint it?

One more... Halloween is getting rebooted also, announced by John Carpenter yesterday.

Actually enjoyed the movie surprisingly.

Two more in the series being made, Halloween Kills scheduled for release later this year, or maybe next year, or maybe we'll rename it, but its coming.

Halloween reboot was good.
I also liked the new Wrong Turn (2021) and the new Grudge (2020).
The Wrong Turn was completely different than the original and the Grudge was a continuation of the story line of the original (Like the Halloween reboot). All three movies were good watching flicks, esp compared with the current industry standard for horror movies.

IIRC Universal was going to redo all the classics but the Tom Cruise Mummy movie didn't do well so they canceled.
apparently they talked to Benicio Del Toro about redoing the Black Lagoon. it never happened but he used the plotline etc and ended up with 'The Weight of Water'.

big new Dune movie due this Spring. looks good.

I'm glad the zombie craze seems over. I think covid took the fun out of them.

Back