Movies Horror Movie Remakes

Personally, having seen most of the titles listed here when they were originally released, I usually have no interest in a remake. To be honest, I see remakes as an attempt by a lazy person with little originality to cash in on the work of the original work's success. There have been a couple I've watched, BSG & ST and enjoyed but as another person said, not near as much as the original.

And I agree about the zombies, I was done with that genre in the mid 60's.

Cabin Fever (2002) comes to mind when I think of a horror remake which gave nothing to the film.
Cabin Fever (2016) is the exact same film with different actors.
I hated it. Its like watching the same movie.

Most remakes are a ploy to make more money off the same film.
A new generation of viewers allows them to tap that cash cow twice.
Hardly any movie is made and released for art.

Total Recall (1990) was a good movie, making a lot of money.
Total Recall (2016) was also a good movie but with a different story. Just different enough to make it something new. If the new one is watched many people will stand jaded because it is not the original film. When you watch it, the experience is just different enough to keep you interested but personal assumptions get in the way. Had the original never been seen, peopl;e would like the film based on its own merits.

I binge watch my movie sets. When there's a reboot in the series, it can get pretty tedious.
But, if you watch the reboot first, the originals leave something to be desired.
The Fly is like that. The original film is good if that is what you see first but if you watch the reboot first, it's a better film. The original feels 'wanting'.

I have a listing of all my film sets. I select what I will watch from that. Many times I will watch the remakes first. Some of the sets, I will not watch the originals anymore because they 'take away' from the experience. Yet, many of those originals are still good, just old.

The Eye Set
*The Eye (2008)
~ bluray j alba p posey
*The Eye 1 (2002) ~ subs a lee s rujinanon l chou
*The Eye 2 (2004) ~ subs q shu e yuan j pholdee
*The Eye 3 (2005) ~ subs bl chen yk ching nw shuen

I watch the US remake but not the originals. I can easily identify with the remake. I have to read the original.

Here are some sets in which I find the remake is better than the original.

Jumanji Set
*Jumanji 1: Alan Parrish (1995)
r williams k dunst b hunt
*Jumanji 2: Welcome to the Jungle (2017)d johnson k gillan k hart j black
*Jumanji 3: The Next Level (2019) ~ bluray d johnson k gillan k hart j black d devito d glover

Amityville Set
*Amityville Horror 1: The House (1979)
j brolin m kidder r steiger
*Amityville Horror 2: The Possession (1982) j olsen b young
*Amityville Horror 3: The Demon (1983) t roberts t harper
*Amityville Horror 4: The Evil Escapes (1989) p duke j wyatt
*Amityville Horror 5: Its About Time (1992) s macht s weatherly
*Amityville Horror 6: New Generation (1993) r partridge
*Amityville Horror 7: Reboot (2005) ~ bluray r reynolds m george
*Amityville Horror 8: The Amityville Murders (2018) j robinson c ricketts
*Amityville Island (2020) d donahue
*Amityville: No Escape (2016) j gomez
*Amityville Playhouse (2015) m lestrat
*Amityville: The Awakening (2017) jj leigh b thorne
*Amityville: The Exorcism (2017) m delorenzo
*Amityville: Vanishing Point (2016)
*The Amityville Asylum (2013) l bane
*The Amityville Curse (1990) k coats
*The Amityville Death House (2015) c hayes
*The Amityville Dollhouse (1996) r thomas
*The Amityville Haunting (2011) ~ bluray ffootage j williams
*The Amityville Horror The True Story (2008) ~ docu r defeo
*The Amityville Legacy (2016) m popejoy
*The Amityville Terror (2016) n tompkins k lyman

Boogeyman Set
*Boogeyman 1: The Mirror (1980)
j carradine s love
*Boogeyman 2: The Shard (1983) s love s hall
*Boogeyman 3: The Closet (2005) ~ bluray reboot b watson l lawless
*Boogeyman 4: The Fear (2007) ~ bluray d savre m cohen
*Boogeyman 5: The College (2008) ~ bluray e cahill c hittinger
*Child Eater (2016) c bliss
*Cucuy: The Boogeyman (2018) b krause
*The Boogeyman (2012) a bailey e mcclintock

Children of the Corn Set
*Children of the Corn 1: Gatlin (1984)
~ bluray l hamilton
*Children of the Corn 2: The Final Sacriface (1992) t knox
*Children of the Corn 3: Urban Harvest (1995) d cerny
*Children of the Corn 4: The Gathering (1996) n watts k black
*Children of the Corn 5: Fields of Terror (1998) s galina
*Children of the Corn 6: Issac's Return (1999) n ramsey
*Children of the Corn 7: Revelation (2001) c mink m ironside
*Children of the Corn 8: [Reboot 1] Row Walker (2009) r gerdisch
*Children of the Corn 9: [Reboot 2] Genesis (2011) ~ bluray jj banicki
*Children of the Corn 10: [Reboot 3] Runaway (2018) m miller s moore

Evil Dead Set
*Evil Dead 1: Cabin of Darkness (1981)
~ bluray b campbell e sandweiss
*Evil Dead 2: Darkness of Insanity (1987) ~ bluray b campbell s berry d hicks
*Evil Dead 3: Army of Darkness (1992) ~ bluray b campbell e davidtz m gilbert
*Evil Dead 4: Withdraw Demons (2013) ~ bluray reboot j levy j lucas

Fright Night Set
*Fright Night 1 (1985)
~ bluray c sarandon w ragsdale e mcdowall d fielding
*Fright Night 2 (1988) j carmen w ragsdale r mcdowall t lind
*Fright Night [Reboot] 1 (2011) ~ bluray c farrell a yelchin t collette d tennant i poots c sarandon
*Fright Night [Reboot] 2 (2013) j murray w payne s power s parkinson c waller

Haunted Hill Set
*House on Haunted Hill (1959)
v price c ohmart r long
*House on Haunted Hill (1999) ~ bluray g rush f janssen j combs
*Return to the House on Haunted Hill (2007) al potts j combs a righetti

Night of the Demons Set
*Night of the Demon aka Curse of the Demon (1957) d andrews p cummings
*Night of the Demon (1983) e dow
*Night of the Demons 1 (1988) ~ bluray c podewell a alexis h havins
*Night of the Demons 2 (1994) c harris d heames
*Night of the Demons 3 (1997) l day a kinkade
*Night of the Demons Reboot (2009) ~ bluray e furlong s elizabeth d baird

Poltergeist Set
*Poltergeist 1: They're Here (1982)
~ bluray j williams h orourke ct nelson
*Poltergeist 2: The Other Side (1986) ~ bluray j williams h orourke ct nelson
*Poltergeist 3: Apartment Complex (1988) ~ bluray h orourke t skerritt n allen
*Poltergeist: Remake (2015) ~ extend bluray s rockwell r dewitt k clements j harris

There's a remake of Candyman coming soon.
Ghostbusters Afterlife, Halloween Kills this year then Halloween Ends is scheduled for next year.
Resident Evil Racoon City this year
Scream in 2022

There's a remake of Candyman coming soon.
Ghostbusters Afterlife, Halloween Kills this year then Halloween Ends is scheduled for next year.
Resident Evil Racoon City this year
Scream in 2022
I remembered watching one of the Candyman movies, where an interracial affair instigated all of the chaos.

Night of the Demons Set
*Night of the Demon aka Curse of the Demon (1957) d andrews p cummings
*Night of the Demon (1983) e dow
*Night of the Demons 1 (1988) ~ bluray c podewell a alexis h havins
*Night of the Demons 2 (1994) c harris d heames
*Night of the Demons 3 (1997) l day a kinkade
*Night of the Demons Reboot (2009) ~ bluray e furlong s elizabeth d baird
Pretty sure the 1957 'Night of the Demon' had nothing to do with the other ones.
really good movie by the way. black/white, atmospheric, great characters.
memorable quote: "You can learn a lot from children. They believe in things in the dark until we tell them it's not so. Maybe we've been fooling them."

Pretty sure the 1957 'Night of the Demon' had nothing to do with the other ones.
memorable quote: "You can learn a lot from children. They believe in things in the dark until we tell them it's not so. Maybe we've been fooling them."
Now that sounds intriguing.

I remembered watching one of the Candyman movies, where an interracial affair instigated all of the chaos.

There were original 3 movies in the series, that naturally get worse :smiley:

From an original story by Clive Barker.

Am not expecting much from the remake to be honest.

Scary news folks .... rumours that "The Exorcist" is getting a remake, seriously someone needs to nuke Boredwood.

That was an excerpt from my own movie set in which I grouped it with the others because of the similar title.
The 1983 movie is also a stand alone.
The sets are foldered.
The Folder NAME is Night of the Demons Set
The titles are the movies which appear in that folder.

someone needs to nuke Boredwood
Can I second that?

I don't mind a remake here and there but why remake a movie that stands on its own?
The Exorcist is iconic horror.

What's next, a remake of Star Wars?

Hey, lets remake 2001 and call it 2101!

There were original 3 movies in the series, that naturally get worse :smiley:

From an original story by Clive Barker.

Am not expecting much from the remake to be honest.

Scary news folks .... rumours that "The Exorcist" is getting a remake, seriously someone needs to nuke Boredwood.
The one with the interracial affair had instigated all of that violent mess.

You can find some of the planned remakes at upcoming horror movies.
Blade is being remade, supposedly as part of the MCU?

They're making a Pet Semetary prequel, like there's a need for it?

Slumber Party Massacre
Night of the Living Dead 2
Hellraiser
Blacula
The Toxic Avenger
Christine
Firestarter
The Blob
Paranormal Activity
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Jeepers Creepers: Reborn
Sputnik
Silent Night, Deadly Night
Train to Busan
Cube
Cloverfield
Van Helsing
Spawn
The People Under The Stairs
Children of the Corn
Urban Legend
The Thing
The Wolfman
Dracula
Salem's Lot
Nosferatu
Anaconda
The Dunwich Horror
The Howling
Alice, Sweet Alice
Witchboard
Night of the Comet

American Psycho

56% of readers want to see this
No official plot yet, but it's described as a "down and dirty new version that imagines how yuppie serial killer Patrick Bateman would fare in New York today."

An American Werewolf in London

55% of readers want to see this
No official plot yet, but the original told the story of a couple American tourists, who are attacked by a local werewolf in a small English town, where one of them survives only to become a werewolf who runs amok in the London streets.

Angel Heart

Follows the exploits of Harry Angel, a New York detective hired by a mysterious client to track down a once-popular performer indebted to him. While pursuing this seemingly routine investigation, Harry encounters dark and supernatural forces.

Arachnophobia

No official plot yet, but the original revolved around a Venezuelan spider that finds itself in a small American town, where it produces a new species of deadly spiders that begins killing the town’s residents.

Audition

A lonely widower gets more than he bargains for when he puts out a fake casting call to find a new girlfriend.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

No official plot yet, but the original film and television series followed a teenage girl, who learns that she is her generation's destined slayer of vampires.

C.U.J.O.

No official plot yet.

Cold Prey

54% of readers want to see this
No official plot yet, but the original followed a group of friends who decide to ski out of bounds and are forced to take shelter when a storm hits, finding themselves imprisoned in an abandoned ski lodge along with a maniacal killer.

Deadly Friend

No official plot yet, but the original focused on a group of young friends that implant a robot's AI into the brain of their female friend and face the violent consequences of their actions, as the girl goes on a bloody rampage.

Don't Look Now

No official plot yet, but the original starred Donald Sutherland and Julie Christie as a couple grieving the death of their daughter.

Faces of Death

33% of readers want to see this
The new film revolves around a female moderator of a YouTube-like website whose job is to weed out offensive and violent content and who herself is recovering from a serious trauma, who stumbles across a group that is re-creating the murders from

Ghost Graduation

53% of readers want to see this
No official plot yet, but the original centered on a teacher with paranormal abilities, who helps a group of ghosts confined to the high school where they died years earlier in a fire.

Housebound

The original revolved around a rebellious young woman who is forced to return to her country home thanks to a forced home detention program.

I Know What You Did Last Summer

No official plot yet, but the original followed a group of friends that are stalked by a killer a year after a fatal car accident that they've since kept a secret.

Interview With the Vampire

No official plot yet.

Invasion of the Body Snatchers

No official plot yet, but this is yet another remake of the 1954 Jack Finney novel, The Body Snatchers.

Lifeforce

Lifeforce, a reimagining of the 1985 classic film (based on Colin Wilson’s novel “The Space Vampires”), follows a group of astronauts who encounter a derelict alien spacecraft hiding an ancient secret.

Little Shop of Horrors

A remake of the Roger Corman-directed 1960 low-budget movie about a clumsy young man who raises a plant, discovers it is carnivorous, and kills to keep it fed.

Nightmare City

After the outbreak of an unknown virus in the Caribbean the Miami Port Authority receives an SOS from an international aid ship returning from Haiti.

Pumpkinhead

51% of readers want to see this
No official plot yet, but the original followed a demonic creature called Pumpkinhead that's summoned to wreak vengeance on a group of unsuspecting teens.

Scanners

52% of readers want to see this
The original film was about a guy with extraordinary psychic abilities, who hunts down a group of "scanners" with similar abilities that want to take over the world.

See No Evil

No official plot yet, but the original starred Mia Farrow as a young blind woman returns to her uncle’s English country home where she’s visiting to discover her family murdered and the killer still in the house.

Sleepaway Camp

No official plot yet, but the story is said to begin with Angela (Felissa Rose) who has been locked up in Smith's Grove Sanitarium for years.

Starship Troopers

50% of readers want to see this
No official plot yet, but the film is based on the sci-fi war novel by Robert A. Heinlein that told the military life of a soldier named Johnny Rico, who moves up the ranks as mankind fights a war against alien bugs.

Swamp Thing

No official plot yet, but it's said to be a closer interpretation of the character from the original comics.

The Birds

No official plot yet, but the original told of a town riddled with birds which attack anyone in sight.

The Bride

The original film centers on a turn-of-the-century bride who returns from the dead to terrify a modern-day bride and her family.

The Brood

Follows a woman who telepathically communicates with her group of mutant children, instructing them to act out violently.

The Changeling

The film follows "a musician who, after the death of his young daughter, returns to his childhood home.

The City of the Dead

No official plot yet, but the original followed a student who travels to a small New England town to research witchcraft, where she finds herself the target for a sacrifice by a coven of witches.

The Dark Half

46% of readers want to see this
The original revolved around "best-selling author Thad Beaumont, who also sells grisly crime novels under the name George Stark.

The Fly

The original centered on an eccentric scientist who, after an experiment with teleportation goes awry, is transformed into a fly.

The Gate

When best friends Miles and Terry discover a mysterious crystalline rock in Miles's back yard, they quickly dig up the lawn in search of more. Instead, they unearth the Gate—the opening to an underground chamber containing terrifying evil.

The Others

44% of readers want to see this
No official plot yet, but the original revolved around "a woman who lives in her darkened old family house with her two photosensitive children becomes convinced that the home is haunted."

The Sentinel

No official plot yet, but the original revolved around a fashion model that moves into an unbelievably nice Brooklyn Heights apartment, where scary occurrences turn into a much more frightening turn of events.

The Tommyknockers

The original story "follows a town in Maine that falls under the influence of a dangerous gas from an unearthed space craft.

They Live

49% of readers want to see this
In the original film we followed a homeless construction worker, who stumbles upon a pair of glasses that enables him to see aliens among us and discovers their plot to take over humanity.

Troll Hunter

No official plot yet, but the original followed young documentary filmmakers as they investigate a series of recent bear killings and stumble upon a conspiracy involving a man who hunts trolls for the government.

Witchfinder General

49% of readers want to see this
No official plot yet, but the original starred Vincent Price and was set in Norfolk, England, in 1645 and was a fictionalized study of real-life witch hunter Matthew Hopkins and the heinous crimes he committed during the English Civil War.

Zero Dark Thirty

The film revolves around a U.S. Army solider named Andy Woodward, who returns home from Afghanistan -- weeks after his own funeral.

Good news on The Exorcist, Studio has confirmed not a remake but a three movie sequel series. Given the hit rate of the franchise to date, 1 of those movies might be worth watching.

For anyone Downunder, if wanting to dial in there's a Region 1 release of all five movies in the one box set that is worth a look, due to extras etc.

Sleepaway Camp is the only one on that list I have any interest in

anyone remember 'The Devils Hand' from 1960? Robert Alda starred. featured Neil Hamilton (Batman's Commissioner Gordon) as a cultist invoking 'The great monkey god Gamba'.
that I'd like to see!!!

Untitled Hunchback of Notre Dame Project

Idris Elba

The Howling

Horror
Andy Muschietti
A reboot of the 1981 horror film 'The Howling'
linterest.jpeg

Back