Horse racing

Woohoo! One of the two yr olds on my list that I posted ran in a stakes today at Aqueduct and finished second... only a neck behind the winner. I think she would have won if she didn't have to change paths in the stretch when a horse in front of her drifted out a little.

Oh, the horse is Seeking the Ante (Seeking the Gold x Antespend), a half sister to Friends Lake, the 2004 Florida Derby winner. She runs like him too. I think she's also has the same trainer. Hopefully for the trainer, she's not as neurotic as Friends Lake was.

Oh nice!!! That's really cool. So who was the horse who won?

Aqueduct's had some great races lately!

Apparently Declan worked a mile in 46 seconds yesterday, he'll probably win the Hollywood Futurity on the 18th, and 2 YO of the Year, but wow, what a horse. I'm worried about him, very worried!

Since Tood Pletcher is most likely going to win Trainer of the Year, if Rocky won 2 YO of the Year and assuming Smarty wins 3 Year Old, that would be pretty embarrasing for John anyway.

The horse who won was Successfully Sweet (Successful Appeal x Princess Meadowlak), who led from gate to wire. The race was 1 1/16, and the fact that Seeking the Ante was coming on in the end leads me to believe she can get a distance, so I'm excited for next spring for her.

Yeah, Todd Pletcher SHOULD get the Eclipse for trainer.

I really don't want Rocky to get 2 yr old honors. I really like him, but Afleet Alex did more than him this year. Plus, I also don't want Rocky to have to buck that 2 yr old champ curse.

The horse who won was Successfully Sweet (Successful Appeal x Princess Meadowlak), who led from gate to wire. The race was 1 1/16, and the fact that Seeking the Ante was coming on in the end leads me to believe she can get a distance, so I'm excited for next spring for her.

That's really cool!

Yeah, Todd Pletcher SHOULD get the Eclipse for trainer

Well, I won't go that far. I like Todd Pletcher and all, but I'm impartial to my boy, but he'll get it one day, just give him a few years.

I really don't want Rocky to get 2 yr old honors. I really like him, but Afleet Alex did more than him this year. Plus, I also don't want Rocky to have to buck that 2 yr old champ curse.

I like Afleet Alex (he's a Philly horse, why wouldn't I? LOL) but I don't think he did as much as Rocky, just because he was in the BC? I mean, that's about it right?

A picture of my mom and I at Philly Park to see Smarty a week after I went to the Derby :smiley:
IMG_0031.jpg

And Smarty (the backside of him anyway) and John (in the Flyers jersey that says "Servis 04") from that "Open to the public workout" same day, May 7th, in between Derby and the Preakness
IMG_0030.jpg

More to come, including my Derby, Preakness and Belmont pics.

From the post above (I tried editing it but it won't let me..weird).

Rocky's undefeated, Afleet isn't. I'm still holding out hope for Rocky. How fair is it that one race out in California can determine the Eclipse? It makes the rest of the year pointless.

I'm not aware of the 2YO "curse" but Rocky's from Philly, he's already got the Philly curse to deal with and we all saw this year that Philly horses are not immune to the curse, even if they don't know they're from Philly. It affects every aspect of our sports.

Awww, cool pictures! You got to see Smarty... lucky duck!

The 2 yr old curse is that no 2 yr old Eclipse winner has gone on to win the Kentucky Derby... in something like 20 years. Fusaichi Pegasus finally broke the other curse, that no favorite had ever won the Derby.

Rockport Harbor: 4-4-0-0-0 $210,300 (wins in a GIII and a GII)

Afleet Alex: 6-4-2-0-0 $680,800 (wins in a G1 and a GII, seconds both in GIs... the Champagne and the BC Juvies)

Alex has done a little more than Rocky at this point. With the exception of Galloping Grocer, Alex has defeated better 2 yr olds. And in his two seconds, he wasn't far behind (maybe within a length and a half in each race? I'll have to rewatch them later).

Whoops, I've gotta get to class!

ETA: Okay, I just watched the two races in which Alex came in second. In the Champagne, he was stuck in and among horses for quite a while, and was able to swing out in the stretch (lucky for him the Belmont stretch is so long). He finished with a rush in the final strides and was a diminishing length behind Proud Accolade. In the BC Juvie, he had the lead down the stretch, but was passed by Wilco and lost by a length and a half. I watched the entire race again and I REALLY don't like the ride that Jeremy Rose gave Alex. He was last early (and the pace wasn't exceptionally fast), then made a random move up the backstretch, then moved into the lead at the final turn... I think this compromised him a bit. Alex looked leg weary down the stretch.

So while Rocky's wins were very impressive (especially his brave duel with Galloping Grocer), Afleet Alex has been a hard knocking horse all year, and finished first or second in all his races. Neither have a GI under their belt (yet... I'm quite confident that both will be GI winners next year at least), so they're on level fields there.

They are also pretty big contrasts with each other. Rocky is a big grey with a HUGE stride, Alex is a rather diminuative bay. I also worry about Alex getting 10 furlongs. His sire (Northern Afleet) was effective only up to 9 furlongs and his full brother, Unforgettable Max, was about the same. I do hope that Alex will mature a bit over the winter, since he's a relatively late foal (born in early May). Breeding-wise, Rocky might have a slight advantage, with Unbridled as a second sire. But horses do outrun their pedigree (as is the case with Funny Cide, who has a brilliant sprinter for a sire).

Awww, cool pictures! You got to see Smarty... lucky duck!

I saw him 4 times in 5 weeks, not bad :D It helps when you're from Philly ;) He came by me during the Derby victory lap but I was on the phone with my parents back home in Philly and I didn't grab my camera, but when I saw him come by I started squealing like a 12 year old into the phone "THERE HE IS!! SMARTY!! STEW!!!!" Never in my life did I think I'd get like that over a horse.

Those are some impressive numbers, you really are a walking horse racing statistic keeper, I'm really impressed. I was wrong, I apologize. Do you know all of that suff off the top of your head?

I just can't believe that not only do we have another incredibly impressive 2 year old, two years in a row, but TWO, with Afleet Alex and Rocky. Lightening has struck Philadelphia Park twice. I know it's hard for a trainer to win back to back Derbies but I have such faith and belief in John (and Stew) that I think they can do it.

Rocky actually works better since you can't really make any Philly related nicknames with Afleet Alex :lol:

ETA: Two things I got off ebay the past few days. One's a Fred Stone print of Smarty from the Derby win, it's gorgeous, with Stew on it. The other's an autographed pic of John I got for like $10, I'm psyched.

One's a Fred Stone print of Smarty from the Derby win, it's gorgeous, with Stew on it.

I'm jealous (again :lol: )! Smarty, Stew, and Servis (the 3 Ss, hehe) have to be THE racing personalities of 2004. Everyone knows them. I remember Servis a few years earlier when he trained Jostle, a filly that I really liked. I'm so glad he has another good one in Rocky.

:lol: I would have started squealing if I saw Smarty too. I bet he's more handsome in real life than in pictures, too. Horses that are that good have this aura around them... when I saw Kitten's Joy in the Arlington paddock before the Secretariat, you could just tell how special he is. (I am definately going to Million day again next year)

Those are some impressive numbers, you really are a walking horse racing statistic keeper, I'm really impressed. I was wrong, I apologize. Do you know all of that suff off the top of your head?

Noooo... I don't have them memorized. Well, the race records and graded wins and placings I did. But not the earnings. I looked those up, and since I went to pedigreequery.com, they might not be completely accurate, but they look about right. Alex, Rocky, and another colt named Lemon Bar (a Lemon Drop Kid baby... I looove the Kid) are my favorite 2 yr olds though, so I follow them closely.

I'm jealous (again  )! Smarty, Stew, and Servis (the 3 Ss, hehe) have to be THE racing personalities of 2004. Everyone knows them. I remember Servis a few years earlier when he trained Jostle, a filly that I really liked. I'm so glad he has another good one in Rocky.

That's awesome. I'm embarrassed because I didn't really know who he was until the Arkansas Derby this year. Obviously, horse racing hasn't been too big in Philadelphia. I knew Philly Park, but not familiar with who was there. The first time I heard Smarty's name was two months before the Derby when my father called and said "I have a prediction for who's going to win" TWO MONTHS! When he told me I said "Who the hell is Smarty Jones?" :lol: And then he won the Arkansas Derby and it was all over the Philly papers.

The 3 S's..I like that :lol:

I know John runs a good number of fillies, he's actually had a few wins this year with some, one was Filly Fanatic (hee, the Philly Phanatic), that was cute. One of them he ran went off at 40-1 odds and won, that was during the PA Derby, I think. I was SOOO looking forward to going home to see Smarty run in the PA Derby, it was going to be awesome for the home fans, and then they scratched and retired him, it was heartbreaking. The day he was retired, my dad called and put the phone up to the radio so I could listen to the KYW Philadelphia Sports Report and they had audio clips from the Derby and Preakness and I just burst into tears. It was all so magical in my life this year, 5 weeks of pure joy and it broke my heart that it ended the way it did. My mom kept telling me "Think about the joy he brought to your life" it helped a little. I can't wait to go visit him at Three Chimneys, I've been emailing with some people there to get more info. His retirement party in August was sad too, though I missed that, I was out of town for the weekend.

I also follow Stew's rides too. I was so sure My Snookie's Boy was going to turn into a decent BC contender after he came in second by a length at the Haskell (I had put $2 on Lion Heart, love that horse, and $2 on Stew and My Snookie's Boy. If I had bet an exacta in that order, I would have made some decent dough)

I bet he's more handsome in real life than in pictures, too. Horses that are that good have this aura around them... when I saw Kitten's Joy in the Arlington paddock before the Secretariat, you could just tell how special he is

He is, I mean, I haven't seen him UP CLOSE but from what I saw, and the pictures of course. I know what you mean, I got that sense about Kitten's Joy and I've never seen him in person, I really love that horse too.

Noooo... I don't have them memorized. Well, the race records and graded wins and placings I did. But not the earnings. I looked those up, and since I went to pedigreequery.com, they might not be completely accurate, but they look about right. Alex, Rocky, and another colt named Lemon Bar (a Lemon Drop Kid baby... I looove the Kid) are my favorite 2 yr olds though, so I follow them closely.

I hear ya, I'm like that with Rocky since I heard about him a few months ago. There's been a fair amount of coverage back home too of Rocky, but nothing crazy..yet. And Philly's FOX29 went to go visit Smarty a few weeks ago to see how he was doing and reported back. So he's definitly not been forgotten. A small Smarty exhibit just opened on Saturday at the Bucks County Visitors Center (in Bensalem where Philly Park is), it's the brainchild of Sherry Servis, John's wife and about 100 people showed up. I would have been there if I'd been home, but I think my mom and I might try to go next time I'm home, which will be over New Years weekend. Though I don't know what I'd do if I got to meet John, I'd probably be like "uhhhh" LOL. I've met lots of famous people I've loved and admired but still, I'd probably act like a dork :lol:

I first heard about Smarty at the end of last year - that he was from Philly and very very impressive. But there were SO many 3 yr olds that were on my radar early this year, that Smarty was just the "Arkansas one with the cute name."

So many of the 3 yr olds I was following did well... with the exception of Gradepoint, who got injured early, and Breakaway. Birdstone was my little guy though. I defended him to no end when people would accuse him of riding on his weak Champagne win to get into the Derby (based off of earnings) after his weak-ish performances in early spring. Smarty was another one I followed, of course. And then there was Friends Lake... and when he won the Florida Derby, I was jumping up and down (I followed his mom, Antespend, when she was running). Then there was Ecclesiastic, who was never on the Derby trail because he was rather late developing (and he's still developing...), but he was doing quite well in allowances.

But about a week before the Derby, I just had the overwhelming sensation that Smarty was going to win, despite my love for Birdstone. It was the weirdest premonition.

I only hope that the upcoming spring goes as well for me. Between Rocky and Alex and Lemon Bar and Birdstone's half brother, So Long Birdie, I should be busy. :lol:

Birdstone was my little guy though. I defended him to no end when people would accuse him of riding on his weak Champagne win to get into the Derby

That's great that you were so supportive of him. I never really gave two thoughts about him after the Derby, though I did know he was a Zito horse. Before the Derby I was following Cliff's Edge and Bob Baffert's horses who never made it. After the Derby I fell in love with Lion Heart as well (I'd actually thought he had won it, from my standpoint in the infield looking at one of the screens, I couldn't tell).

When Birdstone sat out the Preakness and then ran in the Belmont, I never really thought too much about him. But an image from that race that I just can't get out of my head was standing on that picnic table at Belmont Park on the grass, at the top of the backstretch. Even from the start of that race, looking through my binoculars, I knew something was off. But when I looked over at the last turn and saw this horse come out of nowhere gaining I got scared, I'd never been so nervous in my life. When Smarty ran by us, he was winning and the crowd noise in that place was like nothing I have ever heard or will ever hear again in my life, thinking "Oh my god, this is history and I'm here, and Smarty's going to break the Philly curse" and then the moment Birdstone passed Smarty I felt like it was in slow motion and the the race was over and you could just see the shock on everyone's faces, trying to mouth the word "Bird-stone?" And then of course everybody started apologizing, it was kind of ridiculous. The first thing Edgar did was turn around and say something to Stew (who he's friends with by the way). And then John came up to Nick Zito while he was being interviewed and congratulated him and all Nick could muster was "I'm sorry John" When I was home for Thanksgiving, I found a blank tape sitting on top of my old TV in my room and I put the tape in and it was the Belmont I had asked my dad and brother to tape so I could have it if Smarty won. I've kept the tape, it's history and I was there to witness it, taking part in the biggest Belmont Stakes in 30 years :smiley:

My mom was heartbroken becuase that was the one race she got to go to and she didn't even get to see him win, I at least saw him win twice.

Lemon Bar? That's a funny name! :lol:

I'm following Rocky, Alex and Declan at the moment. I'll get behind whichever Philly horse goes to the Derby (or if both go) but I can't get behind Alex like I have with Rocky because of the connections.

Lemon bars are yummy desserts. :lol: Lemon Bar is extremely cute though. He was Lemon Drop Kid's first winner, too.

When Smarty hit the lead and pulled away, I think I may have started crying/laughing. But then I saw him start to slow down and get leg weary... and then I saw Birdstone's little strides coming very determined and I knew it was it. I started crying because Birdstone won and Smarty lost, and I was gypped AGAIN of seeing a TC winner. The other horses who had near misses recently I didn't care too much for (in fact, usually I liked the horse who spoiled him. Victory Gallop, Lemon Drop Kid...)... Smarty was the first one whose train I really hopped aboard. So I was crushed and happy all at the same time.

I think Prado turned around and said "sorry" or something to Stew. But I was so happy for Prado... other jockeys would make fun of him because he rode teeny little Birdstone. Trainers would say "stop riding that pony and come ride a REAL horse." No other jockeys would ride him. But Prado stuck with him and the loyalty paid off.

Well I was born the year after Affirmed one so there's never even been one in my life time (Sunday Silence won the Derby that year I believe). I mean in 27 years I guess it was foolish to think the first horse that would do it would be from Philly, I mean, really :lol:

I like to call this year's Belmont the "I'm Sorry Belmont" :lol:

I'm not a fan of Lemon Bars, I like fudgsicles.

I love Edgar, he's really cool. Over the summer, in July I was home for the weekend and my family and I went to dinner at this italian place. As we were leaving the bar had TVG on, I was like "whoa!!" I needed to check it out. There was a guy there watching and he said Edgar had won two great races that day (One of the VA millions or something, I can't remember exactly what) but the old guy said "Love that Edgar and Birdstone" now keep in mind this is in South Jersey, I said "Um, you might not want to say that too loud around here" LOL!

Some people back home started calling Birdstone "Birds***", I didn't find it very funny, but people were just bitter.

So, do you have a name? I've been chatting with you so much and I don't know your name.

:lol: My name is Leah.

People had been calling Birdstone "Turdstone." I keep telling them that they are quite the classy individuals. :rolleyes:

I like to call this year's Belmont the "I'm Sorry Belmont" 

Teehee. So true. I bet Birdstone's not sorry though. :lol:

Sunday Silence won the Derby in... 1989, I think.

I was born the year AFTER Genuine Risk won, and then came in second in the other two. Best finish in the TC by a filly.

Hi Leah, nice to meet you. I love that name, I'm one day going to name my daughter Leah. :D

Spectacular Bid I meant..I had the S right :lol: I knew that didn't sound right.

My boy's getting more recognition!
Big Sport of Turfdom Awarded to John Servis
by Blood-Horse Staff
Date Posted: 12/9/2004 1:49:40 AM
Last Updated: 12/9/2004 1:49:40 AM

John Servis, the Philadelphia Park-based trainer who nearly guided Smarty Jones to the Triple Crown while at the same time accommodating a throng of media following them, has been named the winner of the 2004 Big Sport of Turdom Award presented by the Turf Publicists of America.

The award is presented annually to a person or group of people who enhances coverage of Thoroughbred racing through cooperation with the media and Thoroughbred racing publicists.
Servis will receive the award Jan. 24 in Beverly Hills at the Big Sport of Turfdom luncheon sponsored by the Keeneland Association, United Tote and VISA Triple Crown.

Servis, who grew up near Charles Town racetrack in Charles Town, W. Va., started training in 1984 and has campaigned horses mostly on the mid-Atlantic circuit.

Smarty Jones, owned by Roy and Patricia Chapman and ridden throughout the Triple Crown by Stewart Elliott, won eight of nine career starts and more than $7.6 million in purses and bonuses. Still undefeated after winning the Kentucky Derby and Preakness Stakes, he finished one length behind Birdstone in the Belmont Stakes (all gr. I).

A record crowd of 120,139 witnessed the Belmont Stakes and NBC Sports' telecast of the race was the top-rated show on network television that week. NBC Sports estimated that 33 million viewers tuned in, giving the event its highest national rating (11.3 nationally) since 1981.

The TPA is an organization consisting of approximately 200 publicity and marketing personnel from racetracks and racing organizations around the country and the Big Sport of Turfdom Award has been presented every year since 1966.

Yay John!! :happydance:

At the Dave and Busters in Philly they have one of those Sega horse racing virtual game things set up, it's fun. But it was funny, my brother (who still lives at home with my parents, he's in college) calls and goes "Brooke, I'm at Dave and Busters in Philly. They have a horse racing game! And you can race Smarty Jones, he's automatically in the game" I said "Wow Kevin, Smarty's programmed into a horse racing game at a Dave and Buster's in Philly? What a concept" :lol: He said he watched while people played and Smarty lost 4 times, my friend said "Maybe the race was a mile and a half" heh heh.

I was at a Phillies game two weeks after the Belmont and on the screen during the mini race they have, some kids behind us were pretending it was a horse race and started cheering "Go Smarty!!" it was adorable. You still saw folks walking around in Smarty shirts and stuff then too. They had the flags half staff for Reagan (who died the day of the Belmont) and I said "Why are the flags still half staff" my dad joked "Philly's still mourning Smarty losing" :(

They've delayed the re opening of Laurel Park. I've been there once, it's the closest race track to me in DC. It's pretty ghetto but they've been working on re doing the track so hopefully it'll look nicer. I went there once on Haskell day to place some bets. I won on Lion Heart but it was like 3 bucks..lol.

Yay! Servis definately deserves that award. He handled the press so well... better than Barclay Tagg did with Funny Cide last year, I think.

And now I want to go to Philly just to play that Sega game! :lol:

Arlington Park reopened about the year after I moved to IL, I think. It's so exciting to have a track near you... even if you don't go often (like me). Before, I lived in CT, near NYC, so Belmont was close... but not that close. I never got to go, which is sad because I LOVE Belmont racing.

I haven't even been to Kentucky yet. I plan on going sometime in the future, and making a grand tour of all the big farms, the horse park, and some tracks. :lol:

Back