Horse racing

Yay! Servis definately deserves that award. He handled the press so well... better than Barclay Tagg did with Funny Cide last year, I think

I honestly don't remember how Barclay handled the press last year. I like him though, and the whole Funny Cide team. I was going to lunch and I saw a big yellow school bus parked outside, for a minute I thought they were here :lol: But John definitly handles the press very well, I love watching him on TV, he's so nice and has such a great personality (and not so bad to look at either :love:).

And now I want to go to Philly just to play that Sega game!

Well I played it at the D&B here in DC and I just typed in Smarty as the horse I wanted to play, since he's not in the system down here :lol:

You NEVER got to go to Belmont Park? Wow. I LOVE Belmont Park, it is so nice. Granted, the first major track I was ever at was Churchill Downs so I'm a bit spoiled. But I love Belmont's set up, how convienent is, (the LIRR goes right into the park). It was not a far walk from actual bathroom trailers (not the port a potties I became ever so familiar with at CD and the Preakness). It's a very pretty park. I hope to go back for next year's Breeders Cup, if it's not too painful *sob*.

I think I most want to visit Saratoga, it just looks sooo pretty up there! I heard the tote board at Arlington Park caught fire this summer..yikes. Back home, the closest park to me used to be Garden State (where my uncle, a huge gambler spent most of his days) but they tore it down a few years ago. There's racing in Atlantic City, but now the closest park to my parents is Philadelphia Park..woo!

Oh you have to get to Kentucky if you're into racing, especially Lexington. Go to Keeneland, it's a MUST, it's the best place! And go early for their breakfast in the track kitchen, $4 for eggs, sausage, biscuits and gravy, the best breakfast you'll ever eat! I absolutely love it. They filmed Seabiscuit there too, used it as Pimlico. My friend was an extra and when I was visiting her over Derby Weekend she showed me the parts they filmed where, it was so cool. I saw D. Wayne Lukas' barn too (not that I"m a fan, but that's pretty cool). I've seen Turfway, Keeneland, CD, in Kentucky. We also went to the Kentucky Horse Park which is also very cool. I met Cigar and fed him mints. I tried getting John Henry to turn around and talk to me but he's old and stubborn. We saw Da Hoss too.

I didn't get to visit any other farms while I was there. But the next time I'm in Kentucky (on a non Derby weekend), I'm making a bee line for Three Chimneys to see my Smarty. I always tell people "He may be in Kentucky but he's still a Philly horse, you can take the horse out of Philly, but not the Philly out of the horse" You know, he watches the Eagles on Sundays, walks around humming the Rocky theme, walks around wearing a wife beater, a cheeseteak in one hand, with a sign around his neck that says "Kiss me, I'm from Philly" or "I'm from Philly, don't mess with me" :lol:

Did you ever read Smarty's blog during the Triple Crown run, I wish I had saved them, they were hysterical. Especially when Little Matth Man and Water Cannon (I think it was him) both from Philly Park, were racing in the Preakness and Belmont. Smarty wrote "Little Matth Man is here with me, but I think they just brought him down so I could have some company" and after he lost he wrote a thank you to his fans saying "It was just one stupid race, I saw the tears, why were you crying?"

No, I didn't read Smarty's blog! :eek: I wish I had.

And he was probably thinking "why is everyone crying? I tried my hardest."

Tagg isn't a bad person... he's just much more standoffish than Servis. Tagg really didn't look like he enjoyed the spotlight. He just wanted to train his horses and do well... not talk to press. Servis probably has better things to do than satisfy the press, but he looks like he doesn't mind it as much.

Oh you have to get to Kentucky if you're into racing, especially Lexington. Go to Keeneland, it's a MUST, it's the best place! And go early for their breakfast in the track kitchen, $4 for eggs, sausage, biscuits and gravy, the best breakfast you'll ever eat! I absolutely love it.

I want to go to Keeneland for one of the auctions and take pictures. One of my favorite mares, Halo America, got sold at Keeneland Nov. and I wanted to go see her soo bad. Instead, people took pictures for me. ^_^ Teehee, and the breakfast sounds good, but as I'm a vegetarian, no sausage for me.

I would love to go to Belmont for next year's BC... but it's at such a bad time for me (the second half of the semester). And I don't really like huge crowds of people, and Belmont itself is huge, so it would probably intimidate me.

One of the articles the day after Smarty's retirement party said "Don't cry for Smarty Jones, Philadelphia" but we couldn't help it, we miss him.

Tagg isn't a bad person... he's just much more standoffish than Servis. Tagg really didn't look like he enjoyed the spotlight. He just wanted to train his horses and do well... not talk to press. Servis probably has better things to do than satisfy the press, but he looks like he doesn't mind it as much.

Almost like a Tom Smith huh? I got that impression too and that's perfectly fine. There are a lot of trainers who don't shun the spotlight, like Nick Zito, Bob Baffert (he's a total media *h**e, but I love him), Bobby Frankel, etc, I guess they realize it's part of the job, you know?

Although I have a feeling come next year if the hype around Rocky explodes and there's so much pressure to have "another Smarty" I think John's going to get a bit irritated. I'm just afraid that might happen, especially with the Philadelphia press (and Philadelphia in general, we go CRAZY over everything as the whole world saw with the Triple Crown this year) So I think that'll be a test on how he deals with the press.

I want to go to Keeneland for one of the auctions and take pictures. One of my favorite mares, Halo America, got sold at Keeneland Nov. and I wanted to go see her soo bad. Instead, people took pictures for me.  Teehee, and the breakfast sounds good, but as I'm a vegetarian, no sausage for me

That is soo cool!!! I only saw where they do the auctions but I'd love to go. I read that during the September sales, John took the chance being in Kentucky to go visit Smarty too and he was thrilled.

Well definitly go for the biscuits and gravy..oh wait, maybe not the gravy.

I would love to go to Belmont for next year's BC... but it's at such a bad time for me (the second half of the semester). And I don't really like huge crowds of people, and Belmont itself is huge, so it would probably intimidate me.

I totally hear ya, it's tough from where you are. And I hear ya on the big crowds, though honestly, I think the BC attendance is only like 50,000 or so, that is SMALL to me! I went from a crowd of 150,00 at the Derby to 113,000 at the Preakness (67,000 in the infield) to 121,000 at the Belmont, I've had my share of huge crowds :lol:

It was funny..okay, not funny, but the week after Reagan died, they had the procession through DC here and everybody went to go see it, stand in the HEAT with tons of people for hours to see his casket. People asked if I was going and I said "Hell no, I've had ENOUGH of big crowds for a while, I can't take it" it was the week after the Belmont, I was tired of being around people. :lol:

I read that during the September sales, John took the chance being in Kentucky to go visit Smarty too and he was thrilled.

Aww! I bet Smarty was equally thrilled. He probably told Servis that it was more fun out on the track.

Oh, for Smarty's stud book, only stakes winning or producing mares are being allowed, since his book is limited (thankfully).

From an article at bloodhorse.com:

Even at this early stage, Smarty Jones has been booked to grade I winners Heritage of Gold, Mandy's Gold, and Serra Lake, plus the dams of grade I winners Peace Rules, Volponi, Exogenous, Tactical Cat, Bevo, I Believe in You, and Numerous Times. Not unexpectedly, Smarty Jones (Elusive Quality--I'll Get Along, by Smile) is being limited to graded stakes winners and/or graded stakes producers.

Those are some quality mares that are going to Smarty.

Aww! I bet Smarty was equally thrilled. He probably told Servis that it was more fun out on the track.

Yeah really! He probably said "Johnny, I can't get a good cheeseteak ANYWHERE around here" :lol:

There was a small exhibit that opened on Saturday at the Bucks County Visitors Center in Bensalem, right by Phila Park. I really hope I get to see it next time I'm home.

Wow! Those are some high quality mares! I love Peace Rules. We'll have to keep an eye out in 2007 :D Maybe some of his babies will end up in Smarty's hometown, that would be awesome. When they set his stud fee, oh man, everybody back home was like "Whoaa...you go boy!" It was the talk of Philly.

So where do you go to school?

:lol: Sorry, I never saw your message about where I go to school. Marquette University.

I can't wait to see Birdstone's babies. If they have his heart...

Teehee. Imagine if one of Smarty's babies, and one of Birdstone's babies, and one of Lion Heart's babies were in the same race...

Ohhh nice! What are you studying?

I am sure Birdstone's babies will be great, they have great blood lines.

And here I thought I was the only one who imagined a match up with one of Smarty's kids and one of Birdstone's kids :lol:

This is really interesting, thought I'd pass it along.

Few bloodlines Derby-worthy
By LAUREN STICH
LAS VEGAS - The major nine-furlong stakes leading up to the Kentucky Derby have always been the best barometer of victory in the Kentucky Derby. As any observer of the sport knows, 2-year-old form, especially over the past 20 years, has little to do with negotiating 1 1/4 miles on the first Saturday in May. Nevertheless, it is always entertaining to look at the current juvenile crop and assess their chances for the classics.
American breeders' emphasis on speed at the expense of stamina over the last 30 years has finally taken its toll on racing in this country. The last three winners of the Kentucky Derby (War Emblem, Funny Cide, and Smarty Jones) were by sprinter/milers who were not expected to sire winners at 1 1/4 miles. Our Emblem, Distorted Humor, and Elusive Quality will never be mistaken as stamina influences, yet they each sired offspring who were able to get 10 furlongs as young 3-year-olds on Derby Day.

We are now breeding Thoroughbreds who are asked to sizzle two furlongs in workouts leading up to 2-year-olds-in-training sales in March and April when their skeletal system is not fully developed, and wonder why these fragile animals are raced so sparingly and are retired all too quickly. These horses may be sprinting 1 1/4 miles, but we are hardly improving the breed. The game is changing, and not for the better.

The following is an early pedigree analysis for this year's leading 2-year-olds with designs on next year's Kentucky Derby:

Declan's Moon (Malibu Moon-Vee Vee Star, by Norquestor) - A victory in the Hollywood Futurity on Dec. 18 should clinch juvenile honors for this undefeated gelding. While his young sire has been a pleasant surprise, there is simply no explanation for the speed and quality Declan's Moon has shown thus far. Aside from his dam's third-place finish in the Black-Eyed Susan Stakes behind champion Silverbulletday, this female family has been generally dormant over the past four generations. By A.P. Indy and out of French Group 1 winner Macoumba, Malibu Moon should get offspring who do well at middle distances, but there is little substance in this female family. There is no questioning the talent of Declan's Moon, but his weak female line may come into play next year - or not.

Wilko (Awesome Again-Native Roots, by Indian Ridge) - Bred for turf throughout his pedigree top and bottom, Wilko is by a Breeders' Cup Classic winner who sired a Breeders' Cup Classic winner (Ghostzapper). His dam won once from 11 starts, his second dam was placed in a minor stakes, and his third dam is a half-sister to Blue Wind, a 3-year-old champion filly in England and Ireland. Wilko's Breeders' Cup Juvenile upset ($58.60) was the result of a colt who was still running at the end of 8 1/2 furlongs while the others were floundering. A win in the Hollywood Futurity would prove his BC victory was no fluke, and he would deserve the Eclipse.

Proud Accolade (Yes It's True-Proud Ciel, by Septieme Ciel) - Yes It's True was a Grade 1 sprinter who earned more than $1 million, and his runners were expected to be precocious at 2. A victory in the Hollywood Futurity could give him the juvenile championship. Proud Accolade's first two dams were not winners, but his second dam is a half-sister to Big E E and Hesabull. It is unlikely that Proud Accolade will be as effective at 1 1/4 miles.

Sun King (Charismatic-Clever But Costly, by Clever Trick) - Charismatic was never given much of a chance to make it as a stallion here and was sent to Japan. A late-blooming 3-year-old by Preakness winner Summer Squall, Charismatic won the 1999 Kentucky Derby and Preakness, and Sun King should handle 1 1/4 miles despite the speed influence of damsire Clever Trick. Sun King is a half-brother to Traitor (a winner of Belmont's Futurity Stakes), Ocean Drive (a multiple stakes-winning turf filly this year), Clever Bertie (the dam of Hurricane Bertie and Allamerican Bertie), and Artful Pleasure (the dam of Peeping Tom).

Roman Ruler (Fusaichi Pegasus-Silvery Swan, by Silver Deputy) - By the 2000 Kentucky Derby winner, Fusaichi Pegasus, whose first crop of 2-year-olds have impressed. Brilliant early at 2, but fizzled in Breeders' Cup Juvenile. Way too early to give up on; as the half-brother to Cigar Mile winner El Corredor, Roman Ruler has obvious ability. But his pedigree is questionable at 1 1/4 miles.

Rockport Harbor (Unbridled's Song-Regal Miss Copelan, by Copelan) - Like Smarty Jones, this Philly flash is undefeated and trained by John Servis. Winner of the Remsen and Nashua stakes, his pedigree is also similar to Smarty Jones's in that both his sire and damsire are brilliant (speed) influences. Not bred to be at his best at 10 furlongs, but will lightning strike twice?

Consolidator (Storm Cat-Good Example, by Crystal Glitters) - Winner of the Lane's End Breeders' Futurity at 1 1/16 miles, Consol-idator is a full brother to stakes winner Mycatcandance. With Crystal Glitters, Nodouble, and Tim Tam the sires of his first three dams, Consolidator should not have distance limitations and still has room for improvement.

Afleet Alex (Northern Afleet-Maggy Hawk, by Hawkster) - One of the most accomplished juveniles this year, he gets speed from his sire and a much-needed boost of stamina from both his sire (Hawkster) and second damsire (Hawaii). He should be best up to 1 1/16 miles, and while he might stay nine furlongs, it would be a surprise if he were as effective at 1 1/4 miles.

Galloping Grocer (A. P Jet-Little Evie, by Northrop) - By far the best runner by A. P Jet, a solid New York-based sire who was a sprinter/miler in Japan. Galloping Grocer's damsire is closely related to Dixieland Band, but it would be a stretch to see this colt as effective at 1 1/4 miles.

I think she makes a really good point, talking about the 'stamina' of these Derby winners. Maybe that's a reason these horses have fallen short of the Triple Crown, I don't know.

Oh yeah, and if I have to hear "Will lightening strike twice?" in regards to Team Rocky, I'm going to puke.

Tee hee..

smarty_jones_headshot_bdl-s.jpg

"Yo baby, got some Philly in ya? You want some?' :lol:

I love that picture of Smarty. He's all "I'm so handsome, just check me out."

I kinda feel bad for Rocky... 'cause all winter and spring, people are going to compare him to Smarty and say things like "Smarty did this... can Rocky do it?" It's like having an overachieving older sibling. Rocky is not Smarty, Part 2. He is Rocky, Part 1.

As for that article, I think it's pretty right on. The US is breeding mostly for speed, and it's really no surprise that the Europeans can come in here and beat us silly in turf races. That's why I loved Slew... he provided a bit of stamina. That's why I like turf sires... Kingmambo especially. Victory Gallop, Lemon Drop Kid, Behrens... those are the babies I'm interested in. I'm not a big fan of the precocious two yr olds, with the exception of a few.

Afleet Alex, bless his cute little heart, is gonna tire down the stretch in the Kentucky Derby, if he makes it that far. He reminds me of AP Valentine.

I don't know if Rocky can get the distance... I hope so. He has Unbridled in his pedigree and that will help. But Unbridled's Song couldn't get a distance, and Copelan has milers, at best (I think?).

Wilko will get a distance. So will Consolidator (though I don't really like Storm Cat... he's everywhere and everyone breeds to him. It's annoying).

This is why I have my heart set on so many youngsters who get started late... I'd rather them race at 4 and 5, than burn out early in their 3 yr old year.

Speaking of one burnout... Limehouse will be racing next year! He's been training steadily, so hopefully we see him make a comeback soon.

Oh, and I'm majoring in psychology, minor in women's studies. Will be going to grad school in 2 years to get a masters in social welfare.

Yeah, he's like "I know I'm cute"

I agree. I saw this Rocky napkin holder (okay, yeah weird) on ebay and it had this thing that said "Can John Servis catch lightening in a bottle twice?" I mean come on, it's crazy. I feel worse for John, Rocky's a horse, he doesn't know what's going on, but John hears it all the time. He should wear a sign around his neck that says "Enough with the lightening comments!"

The sad truth is, if it wasn't for his trainer or jockey, Rocky would be getting next to no attention. Look at Alex, he's from Philly Park too and he's not gotten ten times the hype Rocky has.

Speaking of which, I got the autographed picture of John I won on Ebay today, it looks nice. I put it next to a picture of Smarty I have from him winning the Derby, that I bought the day AFTER he won, it came with its own frame too, it was like $30 but I saw it when I was still in Lexington and I said "Wow, they're already selling these? Sold"

I think Rocky can get the distance, at least I hope he can. He's got huge strides and he seemed really strong in the Remsen (I did get to watch the race online..amazing). If he can get past Arkansas and into the Derby I think he'll be fine.

Speaking of one burnout... Limehouse will be racing next year! He's been training steadily, so hopefully we see him make a comeback soon.

I was JUST wondering what had happened to him, last night when I was looking at the Derby field from this year. That is great! I also heard Imperialism is still racing, he just ran in Cali recently, I was really happy to hear he's still racing. It sucks that so many 3 year olds were retired this year :(

Oh, and I'm majoring in psychology, minor in women's studies. Will be going to grad school in 2 years to get a masters in social welfare.

Good luck with that! I've had a week from hell mostly becuase I got turned down from the grad school I had applied to, so I've been bummed. And I got the letter on the first night of Hannukah on Tuesday night too, it's just sucked.

Yeah, I could graduate this spring, but when I transferred schools, I lost some credits, so I decided not to push it.

Rocky napkin holders? :lol:

Yeah, Rocky definately has that nice long stride working in his favor. It would be nice if he could get a distance. Too many racehorses now are only good up to 1 1/16 or 1 1/8.

That's okay, I had to go an extra semester in college because I'd transferred in, but it was no big deal.

Marquette's usually in the NCAA Tourny for basketball, are you a college b-ball fan?

So since Derby weekend is the same weekend as Mothers Day, I asked my mom if she wanted to go, since I was thinking about going again. She laughed and said no, I think this year's Belmont was enough for her :lol:

Alas, I'll probably end up going home for that weekend to be with my family on Mother's Day. Maybe I can at least convince them to go to Philly Park and watch with me, because if Rocky goes, I'm going to at least be there, with everyone else from home.

I'm planning a weekend trip down to Arkansas next year and I'm thinking if I dont' get to Kentucky, I'll at least try to go during the Arkansas Derby weekend.

Oooooo. I wish I could travel. My dad likes racing (his uncle used to own a horse), but Arlington's enough for him. :lol:

And yup, I'm a college b-ball fan. I go to all the home games (and some of the tournament games)... and I get in free, because I'm in the pep band. ^_^ Last year was horrible... we lost in like the third round NIT (we didn't even make it to the NCAAs). Tonight, the team plays Wisconsin.

Oh wow, that's really cool! I wish my alma mater had a better basketball team. We've gone to the Conference championship three years in a row and have lost all three years. :(

Have you voted in the Eclipse Award fan polls? I've already voted a few times :lol:

Eclipse fan polls

Back