Horse racing

And I think Rocky's primarily getting hype from Philly Park, not necessarily the rest of the east, so I'd say Declan's Moon is fairly comprable

He's not just getting hype from Philly Park. I've been reading articles from all over the sporting world lately. Besides, even if he was from Philly Park but wasn't trained by John and ridden by Stew, he wouldn't be getting the hype he has. But because of the Team Smarty/Philly connection and how successful he's been thus far, he's getting more hype than not.

And I'm not discrediting Declan's hype, but I'm not on the West Coast so I have no idea what kind of hype he's getting, I'm sure it's a lot.

Well I'm sure he's being hyped but I highly doubt it's anything comparable to the hype Rocky's getting, considering where Rocky is from, and who his trainer and jockey are.

I was just saying, you can't dismiss Declan's Moon just because he's not from this coast. I've heard plenty of hype on him, but with these 2 year olds, it's all a flavor of the week thing. First Roman Ruler was the darling, but he's kinda faded now. Personally I find Sweet Catomine to be the most impressive 2 year old of either gender. Others are interesting, but I think she's the best.

Oh, I love Birdstone. He's so little and courageous. I like the little racers. :lol: I was horribly disappointed that Smarty didn't win (I got totally swept up by Smarty fever! Him, and his connections, are such likeable characters), but I'm glad it was Birdstone and Zito and Marylou Whitney. I have the utmost respect for Whitney. She's a great racing personality.

And you're very right about Rocky getting more hype because of his connections. But I guess the west coast Declan fans are just really loud. :lol:

Teehee, thanks for the welcome. ^_^ We used to talk about horse racing in the equestrian thread, which is buried somewhere. I'm so glad someone made a thread.

Well, some of them have made a few starts, but nothing more than maidens or allowances. Beware, this list may be long. But hey, you asked. ;)

Anita Madden (filly by Arch, out of Purrfectly, which makes her a half sister to Santa Catarina, who I think just got sold at KEENENOV for an extremely high price)

Big Top Cat (colt by Storm Cat, out of Golden Attraction... he's a maiden winner, and his momma was one of my favorites when she raced)

Biloxi Palace (colt by Seattle Slew, out of Mining My Business... he's made 3 starts, with a win and a second. He's gorgeous, and Slew is one of my favorite sires)

Fiery Pegasus (filly by Fusaichi Pegasus, out of Baltic Sea... she has yet to race)

Gemilli (filly by Lemon Drop Kid, out of Dancing Mirage... 3 starts, a win and two seconds, including a stakes)

Gold Joy (colt who has already won $100,000... he won the Tremont in the summer, but hasn't started in a while... I'm hoping he's being aimed for the TC)

Harlington (colt by Unbridled, out of Serena's Song, who just won his maiden)

High Octane (colt by AP Indy, out of Bright Candles, who was entered in Harlington's maiden race, but was scratched. He has yet to race)

Indy Jazz (filly by AP Indy, who is a half sister to Society Selection)

Landslide (colt by Seattle Slew, out of Flanders, which makes him a full brother to Surfside. What more could you ask for? He has yet to start, but he's been working out some)

Lemon Bar (colt by Lemon Drop Kid, out of Moon Tide... he's made 2 starts, a win and a second, and just recently returned to his trainer, according to someone who works for that trainer. He made both starts at Arlington, which is near where I live)

Quest to Peak (filly by Distant View, out of Viviana... a full sister to Sightseek!)

Salute (filly by Unbridled, out of Personal Ensign... she's made 4 starts, a win, 2 seconds, and a third)

Seeking the Ante (filly by Seeking the Gold, out of Antespend... she's a half sister to Friends Lake, this year's Florida Derby winner. She's made 3 starts, a first, second and third)

Sequioa Grove (colt by Storm Cat, out of Lilly Capote... he's won a maiden. I think he'll probably be a sprinter, judging from those bloodlines...)

So Long Birdie (colt by Pioneering, out of Dear Birdie... which makes him a half brother to... BIRDSTONE! :lol: One start, but he finished off the board)

Storm Creek Rising (colt by Storm Creek, out of Goulash, which makes him a half to the darling Ashado... he's made 5 starts, a first, 3 seconds, and a third)

Streaking Fire (colt by Behrens, out of Love You By Heart... he has yet to race but I cannot wait for him to do so)

Sundrop (colt by Lemon Drop Kid, out of Sunlit Silence... which makes him a half brother to the 3 yr old turfer Greek Sun...)

Tizamazing (filly who is a full sister to Tiznow and Budroyale)

War Front (colt by Danzig, out of Starry Dreamer, which makes him a half brother to my favorite 3 yr old, Ecclesiastic)

Whew! That's it. :lol:

And you're very right about Rocky getting more hype because of his connections. But I guess the west coast Declan fans are just really loud

:lol: I'm sure they are! Hey you never know, maybe it'll be a Rocky-Declan rivalry next year, East Coast-West Coast, it'd be like the hip hop world..LOL.

Teehee, thanks for the welcome.  We used to talk about horse racing in the equestrian thread, which is buried somewhere. I'm so glad someone made a thread.

Sure thing, there couldn't not be a horse racing thread in the sports section (y)

Wow, you are REALLY hard core! That list is incredible. I love the bloodlines of a lot of those 2 year olds. I'm looking forward to it :smiley:

So how'd you get into racing? You seem to be a longtime fan, and I take it you're on the West Coast, what circuits are you big into out there?

I've never been a fan of FuPeg. I always found him to be a bit overrated. However I did love his father, Mr Prospector, sl** that he may be. I think he's responsible in some way for most horses racing today :lol:

Ron Ellis trains DM. Good trainer.

I'm very big into horses with the good bloodlines. I'm a snob like that. :lol:

I'm actually from the midwest... I live near Arlington Park. But I used to live near NYC, so I try to really follow Belmont, Saratoga, and Aqueduct racing. But hey, racing's racing, and I'll take anything I can get.

I've been following racing since the days of Prairie Bayou (who broke my heart when he broke down in the Belmont)... so the early 90s. And I got into racing because I adore horses and racing is the horsesport that I can see the most.

babyfu said:
I've never been a fan of FuPeg. I always found him to be a bit overrated. However I did love his father, Mr Prospector, sl** that he may be. I think he's responsible in some way for most horses racing today :lol:

Ron Ellis trains DM. Good trainer.
[post="1094330"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

I wasn't a big fan of Fusaichi Pegasus while he was racing, but I REALLY like him as a sire. He gets quite a few quality mares, which is good, 'cause I'm sick of everyone going to Storm Cat.

Mr Prospector was amazing... but he never struck me as the sire of the soundest racers.

I like Storm Cat, so I can't say anything there. I think it's mostly because I love Overbrook Farm and loved WT Young. However, I do have issue with his favorite trainer. I wouldn't spit on Wayne Lukas if he were on fire. However I'd kinda like to spit on him now.

babyfu said:
I like Storm Cat, so I can't say anything there. I think it's mostly because I love Overbrook Farm and loved WT Young. However, I do have issue with his favorite trainer. I wouldn't spit on Wayne Lukas if he were on fire. However I'd kinda like to spit on him now.
[post="1094348"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

:lol:

I'm not fond of DWayne either. I like Bobby Frankel and Shug and Pletcher and Elliot Walden (who trained Victory Gallop, who I absolutely adore... I loved watching him race). And Kristin Mulhall! I think Mulhall is incredible.

Existentialist said:
I'm very big into horses with the good bloodlines. I'm a snob like that.  :lol:

I'm actually from the midwest... I live near Arlington Park. But I used to live near NYC, so I try to really follow Belmont, Saratoga, and Aqueduct racing. But hey, racing's racing, and I'll take anything I can get.

I've been following racing since the days of Prairie Bayou (who broke my heart when he broke down in the Belmont)... so the early 90s. And I got into racing because I adore horses and racing is the horsesport that I can see the most.
[post="1094341"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Very cool!!! You know, I remember you posting in the Smarty thread during the Triple Crown on SD-1, I just was like 'I know I"ve talked to this girl before" :lol:

I live in DC, have lived here for 5 years and didn't get to the Preakness until this year. I've actually only been into racing for 3-4 years, the first Triple Crown I watched was in 2001 actually. Being from the East coast (Philly/South Jersey originally) I tend to follow more of the NY, Florida, Philadelpha Delaware vally racing, but like you said "racing is racing"

Arlington Park? Did you go to the BC last year? Ever make it to any Triple Crown races?

And Kristin Mulhall! I think Mulhall is incredible.

Yeah, she's awesome! And she's only 21, it's incredible. My faves are Bob Baffert, Nick Zito, I like Patrick Biancone (I got to love Lion Heart this year), and last but certainly not least, my Philly homeboy, John Servis :love:

:lol: Yes, I did post in the Smarty thread at sd-1.

I didn't go to the BC when it was at Arlington, sadly. I really wanted to, but I had to be on campus that day. -_- I did go to Million Day this year, though. Ohhhh it was amazing! I saw Kitten's Joy win... and I was thisclose to him in the walking ring. I have pictures, if you're interested, on webshots.

Oh wow, that's awesome! I'd love to see pics, I love Kitten's Joy!

I just got my digital camera fixed so once I find my download stuff I can post my Triple Crown pics, along with pics from one of the Philly Park Smarty events I went to the week between the Derby and the Preakness.

I was at the BC at Arlington. :smiley: I've also been to the BC at Santa Anita and Churchill. Churchill was by far the most impressive.

I love Kitten's Joy. I can't believe they didn't take down Better Talk Now for interfering with Magistretti and Kitten's Joy in the BC.

ooh, great pics!!! I love Big Will. I have a cat named Will, and I always bet Big Will just because of my kitty. Senor Swinger is a favorite of mine too.

Back