Feedback How come the attachment limit is so low?

Tom

An Old Friend
I started to post a list of my bookmarks in the collections section.
I created a webpage(Not Published) and Copied it to word .doc(1.3mb)
Knowing this would be too large I zipped it(231Kb). This was too large.
I opened word and saved the page as htm file(765Kb) zipped that(94.2Kb) Still too big, Created a firefox page(361Kb) zipped that(82.3Kb). Seems max file size is 30 something Kb.
I didn't even include all of my bookmarks. I am wondering if someone wants to share their collection in photos.

May I suggest adding the max file upload size to the limitations notations where you identify the file types permitted. This way when you go to browse to select the file you can check the size before you attempt the upload.

I will publish the page I created to my geocities account and plug in a link to share it, no problem. They're links anyway.

skwirlinator said:
I started to post a list of my bookmarks in the collections section.
I created a webpage(Not Published) and Copied it to word .doc(1.3mb)
Knowing this would be too large I zipped it(231Kb). This was too large.
I opened word and saved the page as htm file(765Kb) zipped that(94.2Kb) Still too big, Created a firefox page(361Kb) zipped that(82.3Kb). Seems max file size is 30 something Kb.
I didn't even include all of my bookmarks. I am wondering if someone wants to share their collection in photos.

May I suggest adding the max file upload size to the limitations notations where you identify the file types permitted. This way when you go to browse to select the file you can check the size before you attempt the upload.

I will publish the page I created to my geocities account and plug in a link to share it, no problem. They're links anyway.
Usually attachments are just small images or small zip files and the like. Give me five minutes and I'll up the max.

same with images. whilst trying to attach a screenshot of an issue i was having with FF, i came across that same limit for .gif's (i tried jpeg, way too large! then was using photo editing software to change image to .gif, still too large, then had to chop a section out of the image and save as .gif again and finally got it within the limit!

at the moment the limit is more an avatars limit!!!

if people are attaching images, we don't want to see them attaching bitmaps, but jpegs can routinely run to 250kbs however i don't know what sort of hosting package you have so cannot comment on what the accepted attachment file sizes should be

right, i managed to attach some scans i had made from a publication. each jpeg image was approx 400-480kbs and i had some strange results

the original jpegs would crash the upload system
zipping all the files in one zip file crashed the upload system
uploading each jpeg, zipped up individually, worked!

obviously some quirks in the site code still

Back