How could you have hero crafting?

F

frostydf2

It seems everything in Hero's Journey is built around one thing. Being a hero, and being ---- good at it. Now tell me this, if Simutronics decided to implement crafting, how would they go about doing it? How could they make it not be repetative, and how could they add the hero, into crafting?

Honestly, I have no idea. Let me hear yours!

Make crafting as badass as the real game. For example, if I wanted to create a sword, instead of making the sword with materials, clicking away monotonously like in other games, it enters my character into an instance where he's wearing a blacksmith apron and he's got a bellows in his hand, a hammer in his inventory, and some smelting ore. Within the instance are tons of air pockets and impurities that he must pour ore into and beat down, some fire he must bellows away, etc... but all of these items work like weapons.

All of the items associated with that crafting skill will be treated like skills and will go up as you craft, and the harder the thing you craft is the longer the instance will be made and the harder the trials ahead you face will be. I'm sure they could have pretty unique and interesting instances (they are Simu after all).

Though it wouldn't be this way with every small item, like each iron ingot, instead you would get it all together and go into the crafting instance and by defeating the instance you've gone through the entire process of smelting and shaping and purifying, so the whole instance must have activities and monsters that illustrate this.

Edit: Maybe some of them that are more intellect based such as enchanting can have some kind of a riddle or puzzle to solve so that the instance reflects the skill. Others that are more agility based may have some kind of race or dodge something, use your imagination to fill in the blanks for which crafting skills would have what kind of instances.

Personally I think in fantasy games weapons become truly great when some of the wielder's essence becomes fused with it. When the legend of the sword and wielder intertwine, until the weapon (being less mortal) carries the wonders of both it's construction and the echoes of the hero's skill.

Here is one system I envisage to make this happen:

Once every X levels a character can make a heroic item.

He selects the type of heroic item that he wishes to craft, and this starts off a *randomly* generated quest, which picks say 3-10 ingredients to make this item. So for example to make a heroic blade the character might need to smelt the arms of 6 golems to create the blade, skin a feral wildcat to wrap the handle with, carve the pommel guard out of a tusk of a war mammoth, and cool the blade with the water from a lake at the base of the waterfall hidden in the distant mountains.

Maybe characters can make normal items (which, with enough skill may be better than store-bought) whenever they feel like it, but the heroic items would be fewer, better, and more memorable.

Being able to make a limited number of heroic items would also stop newer characters being equipped with the most high-end stuff, since the creators will be less likely to give these away after all the effort they put into it.

What you describe Tasoli, is much like EQ2's crafting system. It is more relistic, and doesn't allow for scripting or clicking a button and walking away for ten minutes. You have to click buttons due to an impurity, a miscalculation, etc.

<wishes he could work on his Wood-Elf Monk in EQ2 while at work>

~ Jaraeth

From what I understand of EQ2 however it's a mini-game, ala Oblivion's lockpicking system. Correct? Those minigames get annoying <_<

Instances, however, I love.

You zone into a crafting instance, with an NPC for buying various products to craft with which are not obtainable normally. You walk to your woodbench or cooking stove, or whatever... select the item you want, and it tells you the needed supplies for the recipe. If you have them in your inventory, all is good... click start, and the woodbench/stove comes alive... a popup or ding sounds happens and an image of something gone awry, say ... a miscalculation, and shows a tape measure icon... you have, roughly, 2-3 seconds to click your tape measure icon labeled "Measure" to keep it on track. You then may encounter a "kickback" and have to click another button. Or else it does some damage to the finished product and it may not come out 100%.

I don't know if I'd call it a game, but it's similar to auto-attack and having to hit styles to perform various combos. Some buttons in crafting will speed it up, but take away the overall crafting quality. and there's not more than three buttons needed per recipe/creation.

~ Jaraeth

EQ2's crafting system is fun, but I'm sure Simutronics could come up with something better.

Tasoli's idea seems a little too complicated - if Simu implemented that, it would push the release of HJ back at least 6 months, I'd guess. That's not something a lot of the fans would go for.

Ah Morne :D don't forget that some players like to craft. Would you deny them their simple pleasures? At least Tasoli is thinking. If a game came up with a system to allow crafting for those who enjoy it, but not make the hero's have to rely on those items for their gameplay, or farm for items to sell for gold, or create gold farmers, then I have no problem with there being crafting in the game. Perhaps the crafting could be just for the more ornate or flashy items some people like to wear or tote.

I don't like the tedium of crafting, but in SWG I did enjoy buying items for decorating player houses and guild halls, and could have made quite a business out of it. The game was in the throes of change, so it ended for me.

Originally posted by Eve@Jun 20 2006, 10:06 PM
Ah Morne :D don't forget that some players like to craft. Would you deny them their simple pleasures?
Bah! And asking to play a lizardman or a snakeman is( or a shark-man, Oooooooo) too much to ask? But I am denied it time and time again!

BAH!

Ok, I really dont mind crafting, as long as
1. I'm not forced to do it
2. I'm not getting raped by crafters becuase I am forced to depend on them.

No idea on how to make it "heroic though.

Too bad the Construct race won't be in the final release... but, it'll give me something to wait for after beta and the game is released B)

After Constructs, then lizardmen :P

~ Jaraeth

Originally posted by Jaraeth@Jun 21 2006, 06:38 AM
Too bad the Construct race won't be in the final release... but, it'll give me something to wait for after beta and the game is released B)

After Constructs, then lizardmen :P

~ Jaraeth
I could live with that.
See, I CAN be acommodating at times, hehe :D

Back