How do you pronounce "Vartan"?

Nasu

Cadet
As the title says, how do you pronounce Michael Vartan's last name in America? I live in Finland so I don't really know... Do you say it like "Hilton" or "Milton" like when you kinda swallow the last letters? Or do you say it like Var-tan? (Like: "You've got a nice tan.") You know, the emphasis on the last syllable. Yeah, I know it's a stupid question... Just wondering... :D

-Nasu-

It's pronounced Var-tan, like you said. However, it was forever until i found out it was pronounced that way, and so i still pronounce it Var-tin

:lol: no Joyie, not var-TIN... var-TAN (like in you have a nice tan as Nasu said)

however, it's just an american pronunciation, cos in France Vartan is pronounced:

var-TAN :D
OK, so now you say: where's the difference?!! :P well the difference is, this "TAN" is not like sun tan, it's... wow! how could I say, you don't even have that phonetic sound in english :confused:
well it would be quite like the "en" in rendezvous

Well in France you say Var-Tan, you accentuate the an. Each time u say that name it's VAR-TAN, you can believe me, it's the french pronounciation.

:smiley: So, basically: ;)

in America it's Var-TAN (nice tan)

and in France it's Var-TAN (rendezvous).

Did I get it right? :D Muchas gracías to everyone who responded. Nasu thanks. :smiley:

I pronounced it wrong like the first 6 months the show was on. Then, I heard someone say it on TV, I felt like an idiot, and it took me forever to get used to saying it right.

Eryn

VaughnFan13 said:
It's pronounced Var-tan, like you said. However, it was forever until i found out it was pronounced that way, and so i still pronounce it Var-tin
:lol: i used to say Var-tin too :lol: and then i saw him on tv and they said Var-tan and i was like :eek: - sometimes i use Var-tin and others Var-tan, depends on my mood :P

I can understand his not liking people mispronouncing his name, I know I wouldn't want people doing that with my last name. I mean its' your last name, its something you're given by your father....it's what separates him from the other Michaels in the world.

Seriously if your last name was Smythe would you want it pronounced Smith? (Sorry nothing against the Smiths in the room) ;)

In America it's pronounced Michael Var-tin and in France it's pronounced Michael Var-tan (like in r[/I]dez vous). In France he's well known cuz he's French and also cuz he's the cousin of some famous French singer.

i dont think its supposed to be pronounce vartin, but thats how many people do. its supposed to be var-tan everywhere...thats how they say it on all talk shows and stuff...

I first found out about ti on the Jimmy Kimmel show earlier this year. He pronounced his name weird adn I was like. Man he is dumb! But then I heard Michael himself say it and I was like...."Oh...I'm dumb!" and now I pronounce it thw right way

Back