How does Gear and Magic Interact?

Chrisidon

Cadet
Do they suppress each other? Explode? Do they actually work together but their practitioners just hate each other's guts? I can't recall reading anything that states this right out, so a hint - even a link - would be appreciated!

This help?

Yeah, that's all I've seen about them working together. From it, though, it's obvious that there are no real reactions between the two. They're just, like, two ways people believe they should go about things.

From what I've read, Gear is actually a type of magic- as is Nature and Arcane. It isn't just through the application of gears and power-sources that you have things like Monkeytoks flying around. There is more to it than that. In many fantasies there are more mechanical kinds of magic and more fantastical kinds.

I could be completely wrong, but I think the different kinds of magic in the Death Gate Cycle (book series by Weis and Hickman) is the best comparison. On the world of Arianas there are humans who use natural magic to tame dragons and ride them. Meanwhile the elves use their own brand of more mechanical magic to create flying ships for the same purpose. Throughout the books there are numerous examples of several brands of magic ranging from mechanical to natural to powerfully arcane (rune).

It seems however, that the practitioners of the different -kinds- of magic in HJ all disagree strongly on what will save the world and what will cause its further ruin. Everyone thinks that their kind is healthy and the others are dangerous or destructive at worst, simply not helpful at best. However, at the same time, they do work together enough to form a dysfunctional government, so it doesn't seem that most of them really hate each other's guts.

Okay, so they do work. So it's possible for enchanted gear to exist - if you could keep a gearsmith and enchanter in the same room for 5 minutes without it coming to blows.

*starts thinking of the possibility of robots armed with fireball wands complete with wand-breaking self-destruct system*

*falls over from the crossbow bolt and lightning bolt striking in the back at the same time*

I actually think the gears are magic as well from all that I've read. I don't think they're steamed powered. Tho' I could be wrong.

I always thought of Gear to be the ones that wish to enter the world into an age of technology and building. They ditest the use of magic and whatnot because the Gear believe it does not build upon or improve but only alters and destroys.

The Arcanum wish for power and magic. They see the Gear is simple minded and weak.

And the Nature side(whatever its called) is the more conservative of the Triumverate. They want to leave everything in it's natural state as nature intended.

Back