How many party members

Xblood

Cadet
well this is a question and a idea i was wonder how many party members willl you be able to have like in FFXI you could have what 16 18? in an alliance.. or like in EQOA when you had 4 party members max... what do you think will be the max amout of party members you could have or what would be a good amout... or was this already answered?

Dont know if it was already adressed but I imagine they will have a Raid or alliance system were you can link groups together. cant imagine a standard group though needing more then 5 or 6 people in it after that it kinda gets a bit unbalanced and takes the challenge out of it all.

I think 8 would be ideal, with benefits for grouping all the way up to 8.

Maybe with 2, you get a +5% EXP per kill.

At 4 you get 7.5%, at 6 you get 10% extra + a %3 overall stat boost and at 8 you get 15%, with 5% stat boost.

I think the amount in the group is goin to depend alot on the dificulty of the quests and npcs they give us. im hoping for harder more challenging kills and quests with better rewards suited for groups and lesser ones for the solo artist in us all.would be nice to have alot of areas that require large groups of 6 to 8 to even have a chance to servive in.

the bigger the party the less exp i wonder if the exp system will be like FFXI sumtin your same lvl give you 50 and you can chain for more exp or it will be like a specific lvl mob gives you a specific amount

I'm a little biased, and I feel the ideal number of people in a group should be four. Its not so small that its inefficient or looks wierd, and its just about the right amount for good roleplaying (or atleast great socializing). This is mostly just personal experiances coming from the most excellent game of D&D - the real deal, not that horrid DDO. When you get bigger groups in a game its harder to get to know one another unless you make an effort. With only three other people its pretty simple. In groups that small everyone contributes something big to the group too. In my past experiances, the more people you have the less it feels like questing and the more it feels like ganging up on the poor stupid enemies. I know the groups will probably be much larger than this in game, but I'd prefer a party of four for a good challenge and ideal social opportunities. :P

yeah i feel you on what you said but then just 4 would make the game seem simple because FFXI you had what 6 people and you had 2 healers a sub healer and a main healer 2 casters a DD or a sub tank and then a main tank.. i doubt it will be like this im thinking it may be a group of 4 thouh

What a crazy coincidence. I just got back into FFXI again after not playing it for months. I see what you mean but in no way would four people make it simpler. If anything, it makes it tougher I think. In FFXI playing as a main tank is fine because you always have a sub tank incase you screw up or you can't handle the opponent. Healers always had a sub healer with them incase they can't manage their mana well enough or they simply run out. When you have only four people its a little more challenging. If you screw up in some fashion, you don't have a "sub" person to fall back on. Players will need to play with vigilance and the best of their skills or face the fault of ruining the team. As much as I adore FFXI its sorta a simplistic combat system. To up the difficulty I actually created a Taru War as my main character this time around - I'm having a grand old time with him too.

So yeah, I'm still hoping for groups of four. I think it'll be a nicer challenge, plus I have a bigger chance for uniqueness in a smaller group with a smaller chance of someone having the same jobs as myself. If they can make it work with a bigger party though, I guess I won't really mind that much. I'm used to online games with groups of about 5-6 people. I'm still hoping for parties of four though.

I personaly do like having the choice to go in 6 deep, but i usualy only have a group of 2 or 3 for general playing. Ive always found those extra spots in the group benificial for training and working with the lesser experienced newbies I come acrossed. So id say 6 is an ideal number for a group in a game.

Originally posted by sial@Apr 15 2006, 07:13 PM
I personaly do like having the choice to go in 6 deep, but i usualy only have a group of 2 or 3 for general playing. Ive always found those extra spots in the group benificial for training and working with the lesser experienced newbies I come acrossed. So id say 6 is an ideal number for a group in a game.
Lineage 2 had grouping of 8, and I really enjoyed it. It made it so no class wasn't allowed in, and you always had room for people of varying classes.

If you make it a 4-group then you're going to have set positions... You'll have a tank, healer.. there is 2, a damage dealer, thats 3... and something else..

Thus, making it impossible for some classes to get groups, same goes for 6, but with 8 you might be able to actually utilize a support class. Anyone else get where I'm going?

in EQOA a group of 4 was tank healer DD and a caster and it was pretty easy.. only hard part about a group of 4 in eqoa was raiding and stuff because you couldnt form an alliance so it took a lot of setting up and organizing.. but i personaly loved the FFXI grouping system..

I have to agree with Frosty on having enough members for
each class at least, that way you could have different types of
fighters as well as a healer.

Everyone also needs to remember that their are 8 classes you can choose from. Then with that each class has a combination of 7 other sub-classes with it, so their is going to be a huge variety of classes. Thus, if you make grouping a 4-man group, then their will be the 'elite 4 class/class' combinations, with no substitutions.

In the end, taking away from everything Hero's Journey is trying to work off of. Diversity.

I would say that I'd like to see 4-6 for groups. I like smaller groups, for me they tend to be more fun, you can roleplay more etc. I'm not really into raiding at all as a sidenote...

Well, I think I'd rather see the option to have more in your party than less. For example, it we could have up to 8 people in a group we could still just choose to have 2-4 if we'd like...whereas if we are limited to 4 there is no option to have more. Besides, being able to have 8 people or more in a group won't hurt those that want a simple 4.

I say at the very least 6, but I'd like the option of 8 if I so desired. Also, not a bad idea to base the size of your party from the difficulty of the quest. Maybe certain quests require a certain ammount of party members. I wouldn't mind a few quests that require you to be in a party to even accept. Some require 2 people, some require 8 or 10. Partner quests would be kindda cool.

Diversity is good, but even in a game with lots of classes like DAoC, there were groups of 8... I vote 6-8 ppl per group, with raid groups 30-40 (5 groups to a raid group).

~ Jaraeth

This is really tough to form an opinion on.

I can see times when I would want to play with just 2 people, with groups of 4-5, groups of 15-20 and groups of 35-40.

Not sure about the 6-8 range. To me, that would be the hardest group to form from a logistical perspective.

I would like to see at least 6 - 8 as well. Eight really isn't that bad to manage and you can always opt to keep your group smaller if you prefer. I do like the idea of being able to link groups together for larger battles.

Originally posted by Presto@May 23 2006, 09:12 PM
This is really tough to form an opinion on.

I can see times when I would want to play with just 2 people, with groups of 4-5, groups of 15-20 and groups of 35-40.

Not sure about the 6-8 range. To me, that would be the hardest group to form from a logistical perspective.
In DAoC there is a limit of 8 per group... and yes, you can have less in your group, 8 max though. Taking on bosses was easy: each group needed 2 healers w/ buffs, 1 backup healer/buffer/nuker, 2 tanks, 1 shield tank, and 2 of whatever... usually a nuker and AOE class, or petspammer... This is for non-RvR though... I'm not sure what was common in DAoC for RvR fights since I'm not a PvP person :thinking:

~ Jaraeth

Back