How many party members

Originally posted by frostydf2@Apr 17 2006, 05:22 AM
Everyone also needs to remember that their are 8 classes you can choose from. Then with that each class has a combination of 7 other sub-classes with it, so their is going to be a huge variety of classes.
1 Warrior
2 Ranger
3 Rogue
4 Wizard
5 Necromancer
6 Gearknight
7 Healer
8 Cleric
9 Bard

Eight classes? :confused: Or did I miss an article saying one's been taken out? Hope not! :blink:

For the record, I'd vote 5 or 6. Small enough that you really have to nut out what classes you take OR what way to DO the quest with the classes you HAVE.
Also, can you imagine getting 8 strangers in a pick up group? Omg, kill me now. Especially in a tactical questing environment. One Leeerooy and it's all over.

Nah, I prefer the 'intamicy' of smaller groups, 5 is good, 6 is also fine. Anything over that and I would start to find it feels less of a Hero's journey through the wilds and more of overkill and mass mob zerg. One tank, a Healer and 6 DPS anyone?

Plus the more group slots there are, the more able for botters to mass kill farm for loot.

I am all for smaller, but not overly small, groups.

Hell, why not be radically different Simu! Have quests where you make a raid of four 6 person groups, all four groups start at a different place in the quest zone and effectively quest as your own group. As you progress through the quest you will bump into another group and you combine forces (and the mobs get a lot harder), continue this progression until all four groups are together and you're slaughtering masses of monsters!

Why keep it as simple as X people in one group, Simu is all about thinking outside the box.

5-8 seems good for a group, but I REALLY hope there is no such thing as raiding in HJ. It's just so lame at this point, there has got to be something else you can do in a Fantasy MMO......... :thinking:

I don't mind allowing 30-40 man "raid groups" if a large clan wants to go do that kind of thing. Just please, please, please don't gear the entire endgame around groups of that size. :P

Yes I agree with about 8-10 people in parties for varying classes and better RP, I totally agree with frosty, and it would be cool to have a little group constantly go around together and have it called the <Elanthian Patrol> or something.

But bigger groups are better, becuase the people that want smaller, can have smaller.

Originally posted by JonDDA@May 24 2006, 09:00 PM
Yes I agree with about 8-10 people in parties for varying classes and better RP, I totally agree with frosty, and it would be cool to have a little group constantly go around together and have it called the <Elanthian Patrol> or something.

But bigger groups are better, becuase the people that want smaller, can have smaller.
Well at least someone agrees with me... YES! A point was made to a single soul :smiley:

I think what most people are missing here is you're talking about a MAX group size. If that is set at say 4 then you're limited to at most 4 people in the group. If a fifth friend logs on they can't play your reindeer games.

Personally, I'd like to see the max size set to 8 to 10. This is mainly because I've spent most of my time in MMO's in fairly small guilds and it wasn't unusual for us to have only 7 or 8 people on at a time. With a limit of 6 that meant 1 or 2 got stuck trying to solo or looking for a pickup group.

You also have to remember that you're going to have to unlearn some of your habits from current MMO's. Most games balance their content for an average group size based on their max size (EQ2 is tuned for a balanced group of 4 for example). But remember that whole instance scaling thing? It doesn't matter that the max group size is set to 27.5 you can still adventure, especially when doing quests, with 2 or 4 or whatever you want.

Common areas might be a little more challenging if the content is balanced for a group of say 6 and you only have 2 but I think smart players will be able to deal with that challenge.

Yeah, scaling quests make it alot easier to balance group sizes. In CoH, I could solo a quest then group up with like 7 more of my team and do the same one over and it would still challenging. Personally I like to have 8 as a good number. It gives you versitity in what kind of gorup you want to have, and as mentioned above, gives a lesser change of leaving friends out in the cold. Unlike some people I hate raiding and hope it wont be a focus of HJ. I've raided for so freakin long, and it's boring, mindless and is only good for powergamers. I don't want to see that population catered to at all.

Even if I play like one, hehe

Back