How To Review Fanfiction

Galicdreamer

These Words, From My Heart...
How To Review Fanfiction

So, now that you have gotten some ideas on how to write a fanfiction, lets talk about how to review fanfiction. Good Reviewing is just as important as good writing.

A person that writes a Fanfiction is allowing the readers to view something that is very personal and important to the writer. The reader needs to remember to keep that in mind as they are reviewing the stories they read.

This topic of the month is all about Reviewing, and giving you tips to make sure that the negative and positive reviews both can be done in ways that are kind and thoughtful.

Tip #1

Use Quotes in you Review

Using quotes in your reviews allows the writer to know specifically what part(s) of the story affected you the most. If there was a part of the story that just made you laugh out loud, quote that part and say that.

Tip #2

Remember to Read the Story

Jumping in and skimming the story is not a good way to review a story. It makes the writer think that you really don’t care. Saying “Thanks for the PM, great update”, Doesn’t show that you read the story. Saying, “I loved how Sidney and Vaughn were . . . ” is just and easy and shows that you know what is going on.

Tip #3

Write a Review the Way You want to be Reviewed

Write a review the way you would want to be reviewed. Fellow readers and writers will see the way you are reviewing the fics and will follow your example when reviewing your own work. People follow from examples.

Tip #4

Even Negative Reviews can be Positive

If you read a part of a fic that just didn't work for you, for example: "Jack looked over at Vaughn with the affection of a father for his son." Instead of saying..that sucked. You can say, I can see what you were trying to do there but, I just didn't feel that was something Jack would do. That way you are still expressing your point and being polite about it.

Tip #5

Pay It Forward

If another writer reviews your story take the time and review their’s. You will appreciate the review and the other person will appreciate you taking the time out to return the review.

Tip #6

Share Personal Insight

If read apart in the story that happened to you, share it. Sharing your personal experience (or the personal experiences of others you know) will show the writer that you read the story but will also show that you enjoyed what was written.

Those are our tips for being a good reviewer. If you still want to know some more, then I suggest checking out this site for some good ideas from some writers themselves. Lurkers versus Reviewers

If you have any questions or any other suggestions please feel free to post them here! :D

i adore it when people use quotes in their reviews. it is my favorite thing of all time. especially if they pick either a part i as the writer loved, or if they pick a part i wasn't sure about. cuz i know they liked them then.

also, if something comes across your mind while reviewing or reading the fic, put it in your review. something like "i seriously was crying" or "i had tears in my eyes" makes the writer feel like they have really touched you. i've even put things like "you're my hero" in my reviews when people write so well that i wish i could write like them. it makes it seem like it really comes from the heart.

m-c

Back