How to Write Fanfiction

Kewii

April 27th
How to Write Fanfiction

Writing fanfiction can be a bit overwhelming. Not only are you diving into a universe that isn't even your own, but eventually if you make your work public you're opening yourself up for criticism.

But there is a plus side. The good reviews always make you feel like you've accomplished something. There's also the satisfaction of creating your own believable storyline inside another story.

So the hardest part is always starting. That's why this topic of the month is going to offer tips on how to get started. If you've already started, check this out anyway because you never know what kind of helpful tips you might pick up.

Tip #1
Knowing your universe.
Obviously you can't write a story in a universe unless you know the main characters' names. Also, knowing your universe doesn't mean you have to know every single detail. People, and websites, are around to help you with that. Just ask them :smiley: Just be comfortable with the material and have a good idea of how the characters should be acting.

Tip #2
Finding an idea.
The hardest part of writing, besides writing those first few words, is finding a usuable idea. My suggestions for this is to check out the Plot Bunny Thread read other stories, or people watch. The worst thing you can do is just sit there and think "I need an Idea, I need an idea." It doesn't let your mind wander, which stops the idea from hitting.
You never know when or why an idea will strike, which is why I suggest, that when it does strike you write it down right away. There's nothing worse than forgetting a good idea. If you're very serious about your writing than try carrying a notepad around with you, to mark down the ideas.

Tip #3
Writing the story/Using a plot
Once you have an idea it's a good idea to at least have a general idea of what you want to do with it. You should also write out how you're going to get there. How much detail you want to use though, is up to you. Some writers work best if they write out every single thing they want to happen, others just like to have a few key notes for what they want to do. The only way to know what works for you is to try a few methods.

Tip #4
Characterization
One of the hardest parts of writing fanfiction is using characters you haven't created. Usually a good way to work this is to imagine the character in a scene you really thought stood out, and really showed who they were. For example, A scene that really says Jack to me is from the pilot, where he has that phone conversation with Danny.
It's also important not to just tell us how a character is. Don't tell us they're really nice and generous, show us this. Have them help an old lady across the street, or whatever you need to do. But if you have to tell us, then the characterization will seem off.
Part of the characterization will come through in your dialogue, which is what our next tip is about.

Tip #5
Dialogue
Part of characterization is knowing what the character would say. Again I suggest you imagine in your head the character saying what you have written. Can you actually picture it? If you can't, than it's a good sign you need to revise.
The one place where you shouldn't be too concerned with grammer is in your diologue. Think about the way you and your friends talk, also make sure you're thinking about how the characters talk. Usually it isn't perfect grammer. Just try to make sure it sounds like the characters. Another tip to make sure it sounds natural is reading it out loud - and if your brave you can ask a friend to read it with you.

Tip #6
Editing your work
Editing is really important, it would be great if we could just post right after we've written, but that will probably turn readers off. Go over your work with a fine tooth comb. Thing you should look for are grammatical mistakes, consistency, and just for how the sentencing sounds. Is there a better word for this?
After you've done this it's a good idea to have a second pair of eyes look over the work. I suggest checking out our Beta Thread for someone to do this for you.
The more editing you do, the tighter your story will get, it will also help the flow. These two things will usually attract, and retain, readers.

Tip # 7
Posting the Story
Once you've read what your beta has suggested and made changes, you need to decide where to post your fic. Remember that you're trying to attract readers. Thing that tend to turn readers off are stories in the wrong places, poor summaries, and bad titles.
In your summary don't just write things like, "OMG this is the best thing ever! review or else I wont write any more!" Threatening not to write more if you don't get any more reviews will make many readers click the back button. Also, the summary should be used to summarize the story. Give a few hints and teasers. If people aren't checking your story, you might want to try a different approach.
For the title try not to make it too complex, the same idea should be used in your summary. It's fine to be intriguing, but I should be able to get a sense of what your story is about from the title/summary.
And for both, Don't forget to spell check.

Those are our tips for getting started on writing fanfiction. If you're still interested in knowing more, I suggest you check out this site: How to write readable fanfiction for more help and suggestions.

If you have any tips, comments, or anything else you'd like to say. Please post them here :smiley:

Back