HP -- For Kids?

Our new Pope....he is really against Harry Potter....

What I hate is when people diss it and don't know anything about it. Notice that the people who say it is satanic and stupid have never seen the movies or read the books.

P.S. I don't know any kid's books that say sl*t in them. Haha

Is he kidding me? subtly seduces children? for crying out loud!!!!!
I hate ppl who criticse things without ever giving them a chance! It pisses me off. And yes, it's true. ppl who don't like Harry Potter have never read the books.

I don't think HP is for kids only because I think its to dark for them to understand. Killings...Curses...O.W.L.S....it even hard for me to understand.

:smiley:

I think HP is definitely kid appropriate. My 8 and 10 year old sisters love it. They cried at the end of Book 6 just like I did, but they didn't have nightmares or anything. When you think about it a lot of kids stories are creepy. i.e. Little Red Riding Hood, Willy Wonka, etc.

It's sort of silly how people say that Harry isn't for kids, though they let them watch Snow White. Remember - her step mother tries to kill her because she's more beautiful. How about Aladdin? An old, creepy sorcerer trying to marry a young princess, and plans to kill her afterwards.

But I still think this whole thing is blown up, and there aren't as many people against it as is let on.

P.S. Read This

A transcript from the Vatican Radio on how Pope Benidect (the then Cardinal) might not have written that letter.

I don't think JK every intended the books to be for a certain age group. Didn't she say somewhere that when she began writing she knew where she was going with the plotline and hadn't set out to write a children's book. It's just what the media makes it. I mean, SS and CoS were more children's books. Then PoA you threw in a little bit darker stuff like dementors and stuff like depression and betrayal. GoF had hormones and violence death and OotP just got darker. Not to get into spoiler territory but HB-P was just was dark if not darker. Character's picked off right and left and the word "sl**" was thrown in there, lol, :P . But JK is writing growing teenagers and all the dark things that surround one's life. It has to change from three-headed dogs that go to sleep with music to murderous muggle hunting men in masks because the teenager's fears change. I don't know... I still think that most mature children can handle them. They truely are wonderful books. As for the people who are "Harry Potter is the spawn of Satan" I just say whatever. Ditto to the people who say I'm too old to be reading Harry Potter. I'm almost sixteen and the arguement "Harry Potter is such a kiddy kiddy book" is such a flimsy one I just think whoever uses it is pathetic. ^_^

I read somewhere that JKR intends for the books to "grow up with the reader". This works out fine for the kids that have been reading them from the start, but young kids that are just getting into them now may find them more advanced/dark than they're used too. Harry Potter is characterized as a children's book, but as it's grown in popularity it's become more of an "everyone" book. I really think it's a matter of personal preference; some 9 year olds can read the 6th HP book without problems, while others are more affected by its disturbing scenes.

Kids should definitely be allowed to read HP. People say the books are getting darker but in an interview she said something like, when was the book light and cheery? it opens with double murder.

P.S. What book did JK Rowling use the word sl*t in?

this is a question with no right or wrong answer...however, i think it never was a story for little children, just as someone here already said, it starts with double murder. a critic just wrote about GOF in the newpaper here, and his words were something like "i started reading the book expecting a children's book. what i found was a thriller, and a bloody good one that i could not stop reading until i'd finished it." and i definitely agree with him, except that when GOF first came i didn't expect a children's book as i'd read PS 48 times, COS 25 times, POA 15 times by then and was sort of familiar with the books already, you might say. ;)

the harry potter books may have started as a story that kids can read, but after the 1st and 2nd book the story gets way darker (ok it's actually dark all along, but it becomes both scarier, more obvious and so on in the later books), and i'd say it's no longer a children's book. the 4th book is definitely not. we're already dealing with pretty heavy and pretty dark stuff, but ALSO other stuff that kids can't understand yet, stuff that you need to be older to understand and take in and see what it really means.

what bugs me is how harry potter everywhere is classified as a children's book, even though it's actually not! i mean, just because the story is about a child/teenage boy, it doesn't mean that it's necessarily MEANT for children. but for the world that seems to be kinda hard to handle. same thing with the movies, they've had to make them way too bright and child-friendly, way brighter and child-frendlier than the story actually is, just because everyone thinks "oh hey yeah i've heard about those HP books/movies, they're for children and children like them, i'll take my little jake to see that one!". at least the 1st and 2nd movie were way too "childish". the 3rd one was better, and i have big hopes for this 4th one. (CAN'T WAIT!!!)

i'm not saying a child can't read harry potter. i was 11 myself when the 1st book came, and i read it and no harm done. but i think i've been in a good age in reading them, as i've sort of "grown with the books" as they got darker and scarier. i mean i was 12 when the 2nd book came, then 13 when the 3rd book came, 14 when the 4th book came, 15 when the 5th book came and then 16 when the 6th book came, so that's been good. now, children can read them allright, but they won't understand all the things and all the emotions and everything that happens that belongs to the young adult / adult -world.

i know POA, GOF, OOTP and HBP aren't books i'd place in the hands of a, say 8 year-old kid of mine.

Kids should definitely be allowed to read HP. People say the books are getting darker but in an interview she said something like, when was the book light and cheery? it opens with double murder.

P.S. What book did JK Rowling use the word sl*t in?
Erm... Half blood prince... Tom Riddle Snr talking about his daugther, from memory.

Back