Hugo and Nebula awards

I have been attempting to read all the books that have ever been nominated for either the Hugo or Nebula awards. There are some 476 books nominated and I have finished 179 (thanks Excel). I figure it will take me about seven or eight more years to finish it up, barring 'Gravity's Rainbow' grinding me to a halt. I've been looking for someplace to ask people about some of the more obscure books on the list and I've just about given up on Goodreads.

Recently I started a website where I could write a review for each book on the list
www.allthenominees.blogspot.com

if there are some people here who are pretty well read in their older sci-fi I'd appreciate it if they could take a look and tell me what they think. I've only got about six review down now, so only 471 more to go, most of the reviews I've written so far have been for sci-fi from the 50s and 60s. I'm working my way up to the present.

Take a look and tell me what you think, thanks

Not bad at all James. I have noticed that most book bloggers start out conversational, the way you have. Then when they have a few reviews under their belts they either adopt that scheister/salesman type of voice that bloggers seem to love, or they get didactic/preachy. I went the second way myself, back when I was blogging and reviewing SF books. I wonder which way you will go? But I think you have a good start.

Here's my blog: Omphalos' SF Book Reviews

There are some reviews there that still make me cringe, but some I am genuinely proud of. It feels nice to get through a big pile of books you want to review, so you have that to look forward to.

Thanks for the look. I went to your blog and read your review for Farmer's 'To Your Scattered Bodies Go,' it was the first book I saw there that I would also be reviewing. Good stuff, but I don't know if I'll be able to talk about the book without mentioning how bad the sequels end up getting.

I know my style will change over time, and I'll try to keep an eye on it. I think the fad of people reading blogs has really started to die off now and people are moving on to twitter and other media, I'll try to keep that in mind so I don't start writing like an ass.

thanks

Back