Humans Breathing UnderWater?

Tom

An Old Friend
I doubt this is true but....

An Israeli Inventor has developed a breathing apparatus that will allow breathing underwater without the assistance of compressed air tanks. This new invention will use the relatively small amounts of air that already exist in water to supply oxygen to both scuba divers and submarines. The invention has already captured the interest of most major diving manufacturers as well as the Israeli Navy.

The idea of breathing underwater without cumbersome compressed air tanks has been the dream of science fiction writers for many years. In George Lucas’ movie "The Phantom Menace", Obi-Wan whips out a little Jedi underwater breathing apparatus and dives in. As things tend to happen in our world, yesterday’s science fiction has turned into today's science fact due to one Israeli inventor with a dream.

http://www.isracast.com/tech_news/310505_tech.htm

not much human interest on that site at all. the people running it seem to think israeli's have and are still inventing everything around. it started to sound like russian history books for a while there (you know, russians invented the television, the lightbulb, the radio!!!!)

a site that sewn up does bring serious doubts as to it's validity.

and back to the underwater kit, it seems a good idea, maybe 30 years ago, but i feel the seas are so polluted that a closed breathing system is preferable nowadays. you wouldn't want any chemicals/waste getting into your breathing equipment! i doubt effective filters could be part of the equipment.

Am I crazy or is that a picture of Ron Howard? :confused:

310505_alon-bodner.jpg

i don't think i've ever seen a celebrity and a non-celebrity match up that close before!!!!

question is, does Ron Howard want to be mistaken for eminently intelligent or the scientist just want a few free nights out with a gorgeous babe on each arm :smiley:

Back