Politics Hurricane Katrina

Galicdreamer

These Words, From My Heart...
Anyone in and or around New Orleans...I know you aren't going to be able to read this, but my prayers and thoughts are with you. I know what you are going through. :hug: Be safe!!

This storm is insane. I've been watching the coverage all day, and I just can't get over it.

I hope everyone is staying safe...you'll be in my thoughts.

My God... everyone in the area that it's hit, stay safe! :( It's really scary.. even for me, and I live all the way in Australia...

I'm so scared for the people in the area, the storm is horrible! :eek: I'm safe here in Finland but that scares me so much..

It's terrible! Now the roof of the Superdome where thousands of people have taken refuge is leaking and part of the roof has peeled away. Everyone down there is definitely in my thoughts.

Thank God it was as bad as some had predicted, although it was still pretty catastrophic. I hope the rescue workers get in as quickly as possible so no more lives are lost.

It's absolutely horrible. My roommate is from New Orleans, as is her whole family...they were lucky though and got out. Her grandparents live in Mississippi, and they haven't heard from them yet...please keep them in your thoughts.

President Bush should've ended his vacation earlier and done something. Instead yesterday he was playing his guitar and eating cake in Californina while he gave speeches about Iraq and WWII, while Americans were suffering...it's appalling.

I was whatching a news channel this morning before class, and the news said that

"The winds are stricking so hard that the pressure of the wind is breaking the concrete in peices that New Orleans is standing on. (b/c New Orleans is over 12 feet below sea level)This may conclude to New Orleans sinking like Atlantis into the under sea or get up and float away."

:blink: :( (n) (n) (n) (n) (n) :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

*sobs soooo hard she can't think of it no longer*

My family and I live in BR. The damage here is nothing compared to New Orleans. The most we got were some heavy rain, and mildly strong winds. It's so surreal to see places that I've gone on my eigth grade field trip just gone...I mean, part me me knows its gone and part me wants to go down there to say, I see it. It's still there. My best friend's family lost most of their homes though--they are from Slidell and NO. Please keep the prayers going. :thinking: That's about all we can do for now. Thanks everyone.

I've been watching the news all day, and things look horrific! I was in complete awe! :(

For everyone who is still in New Orleans, lives there or somewhere else that has been effected, my thoughts are with you.

I live here in South Carolina, and our gas prices are going very high because of Katrina. But at least we have homes and our things and such.
It's hard for me to watch New Orleans in such a catastrophic state...I've visited there. The historic buildings are gone, everything is underwater, and the people are in complete misery.
Where is their help? US and any other countries willing?

Our french club is going to make beignets (a regional treat from New Orleans/France) and sell them during our school lunch to send to Red Cross. We're also doing other things. I want to do another fundraiser at our church, such as making a New Orleans dinner and people pay for it.

It's such a horrible situation...

Phoenix 47 said:
I live here in South Carolina, and our gas prices are going very high because of Katrina. But at least we have homes and our things and such.
It's hard for me to watch New Orleans in such a catastrophic state...I've visited there. The historic buildings are gone, everything is underwater, and the people are in complete misery.
Where is their help? US and any other countries willing?

Our french club is going to make beignets (a regional treat from New Orleans/France) and sell them during our school lunch to send to Red Cross. We're also doing other things. I want to do another fundraiser at our church, such as making a New Orleans dinner and people pay for it.

It's such a horrible situation...
[post="1476480"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

It's terrible.

Gas prices are up everywhere...and in South and North Carolina especially we are running dangerously short of gas...kinda reminds me of the FX tv movie "Oil Storm"...it's scary how many similarities there are.

I had to evacuate from Biloxi, MS for this storm. I'm up in Birmingham,AL at my aunts house.
This storm has ripped my home town apart. There is just nothing left. I see the pictures and can't recognize hardly anything. This storm just shattered any records that hurricane Camille had back in '69.

It's an odd feeling...knowing that what you've been around your whole life is no longer there.

Jamison said:
It's terrible.

Gas prices are up everywhere...and in South and North Carolina especially we are running dangerously short of gas...kinda reminds me of the FX tv movie "Oil Storm"...it's scary how many similarities there are.
[post="1476483"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
in NC, the government has suspended all non-essential state government traffic, meaning the transportation at my university is being restricted. 2 of the oil pipelines in the state are out of gas, and the price jumped 50 cents/ gallon in one day. they're saying it could jump another dollar by the end of the week.

of course, i don't mean to imply that gas is more important than lives. my thoughts are with everyine who has been affected by the storm, especially you Vaugh_Lovah.

and SiriCerasi, the people aren't still alive. they're still trying to account for people, but they're saying hundreds could be dead - 50 alone in Biloxi

I've just seen a report on the BBC that Fats Dominio is missing.

I don't understand why people did not leave. Why would you want to stay?

noggi16 said:
I've just seen a report on the BBC that Fats Dominio is missing.

I don't understand why people did not leave. Why would you want to stay?
[post="1477150"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

I don't know if this is really the time to question people's motives for staying...but knowing people in that area, these are some of the reasons:

They weren't able to leave. There are many people who were homeless or without transportation who did not have the means to leave.

There were people who had no place to go. Sure they might've been able to get out, but where do they go? They had nothing.

There were people who couldn't bear the thought of leaving everything they own. A lot of people stayed because of pets...you couldn't bring pets in the shelters, and they didn't want to leave them behind.

Some people were too sick to get out their houses or too elderly to do so, and they were forced to stay.

And there were people who felt invincible. They had lived through hurricanes before and felt that they could live through this one.

Also places in Northern Louisiana, Alabama, and Mississippi were not told that they needed to evacuate, so they didn't. It went in further east than anticipated.

It shouldn't matter someone's reasons for staying. They still deserve our attention and support no matter what.

More important questions that could be asked is why weren't troops and ships mobalized DAYS ago when it was apparent that this was going to be a strong storm and cause massive devestation?

Why weren't meals and water organized days ago to be sent to New Orleans? Instead of having people in shelters who are dehydrated and literally starving to death.

Why didn't President Bush end his vacation even earlier, instead of playing his guitar and eating cake with John McCain in California on Monday (and yes, he did do this, you can even find the pictures on whitehouse.gov)? Why on earth did he not try to do more?

Why is Condoleeza Rice STILL on vacation? Instead of helping with this effort.

These are the questions that need to be answered, not why someone stayed in their town. These people deserve to know why their leader wasn't helping them when they needed it most. Now there are likely thousands dead. The response from the Federal government is appalling. They aren't doing enough.

It's Thursday, we knew it was going to hit by Friday, and it had been pretty much done by Monday night. Why on earth are we just mobalizing troops to go down there? Why are we just sending medical ships down there that won't be there until September 8th? Why on earth do these people not have anything to eat or drink? And why on earth are there hundreds of injured people who can't get any medical help?

I apologize for my rant, but this situation has made me angrier at the Bush administration then probably anything they've ever done (including the war). These are US citizens, and they haven't been given the time of day. We responded quicker to the Tsunami disaster. And we should've responded to that, no doubt. But you'd think that you'd help your citizens quickly...they aren't getting that help.

I hope everyone is keeping these people in their thoughts, I know I am. And I urge all of you to donate to the Red Cross. Even a small amount of money can do a world of good.

Jamison said:
I don't know if this is really the time to question people's motives for staying...

More important questions that could be asked is why

These are the questions that need to be answered, not why someone stayed in their town. 

I apologize for my rant, but this situation has made me angrier at the Bush administration then probably anything they've ever done (including the war).  These are US citizens, and they haven't been given the time of day.  We responded quicker to the Tsunami disaster.  And we should've responded to that, no doubt.  But you'd think that you'd help your citizens quickly...they aren't getting that help.

I hope everyone is keeping these people in their thoughts, I know I am.  And I urge all of you to donate to the Red Cross.
[post="1477186"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

questions that need to be answered? angrier at Bush? not helping tsunami victims? keeping these people in our thoughts? wtf!

we should be helping them not keeping them in our thoughts and definitely not blaming Bush. blaming Bush is way too easy and pointless.

Back