Politics Hurricane Katrina

wow lots of comments. there was something in there about india not helping it's own people and leaving hundreds to die. first, india is 4 times larger than the US. second, the US lets thousands die every year too by neglecting mentally ill people, not enforcing no drinking and driving laws strictly, etc.

did someone already bring up the fact that within the next couple months, another big hurricane might hit LA? or did someone already bring up the fact that Katrina is aiding those who are saying that Global Warming is a threat? i cant remember where i read these things, just too much info and once so i get confused where my sources are. so if these have already been addressed, ignore me.

Sex-Dwarf said:
The area that has been affected by this tragedy is the size of united Kingdom! That is gonna stretch any developed nation in coping. But this was predicted, why wern't people evacuated? why were the poor and the underclass mainly African americans left behind? To me this has face of racist America showing it's true colours. Treat people like animals and they start acting like it, as what happened in the astro dome with reports of rapes, stabbings. There was one story that i read on the BBC news website of a woman that was found in the toilets who had been stabbed 7 times!!!!
[post="1479902"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
yea i know its sick. but this is what happens in times of disaster ;)

the_alliance said:
wow lots of comments. there was something in there about india not helping it's own people and leaving hundreds to die. first, india is 4 times larger than the US. second, the US lets thousands die every year too by neglecting mentally ill people, not enforcing no drinking and driving laws strictly, etc.

did someone already bring up the fact that within the next couple months, another big hurricane might hit LA? or did someone already bring up the fact that Katrina is aiding those who are saying that Global Warming is a threat? i cant remember where i read these things, just too much info and once so i get confused where my sources are. so if these have already been addressed, ignore me.
[post="1479980"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

If it wasn't the time or place for me to bring up the lack of federal response to the hurricane, then I would imagine that it's definitely not the time nor the place to bring up faults in our healthcare and police systems when dealing with mental illness and drunken driving...that's what new topics are for.

Right now, of course our focus is and should be on the effort in the gulf. We all know the a deadly hurricane can pop up at anytime. There are 3 storms in the Atlantic right now. Two of them going in the same exact path Katrina took, both of which are looking like they're going to hit New Orleans again. Sadly we haven't even gotten started on hurricane season. It lasts until November, and our worst month is September...and we're already on letter M (Maria). Obviously the increase in strong storms over the years isn't just some coincidence...it's global warming at work.

ETA:

Another Storm Possible in Hard-Hit Region
By MATT CRENSON, AP National Writer
Sun Sep 4, 9:40 AM ET

Katrina may seem like the last word in hurricanes, but there is a very real possibility that another major hurricane may hit New Orleans or some other portion of the 200-mile coastline devastated by Katrina in the weeks to come.

"We're not out of the woods yet," said Susan Cutter, director of the University of South Carolina Hazards Research Laboratory. "We're not even in the height of hurricane season."

A forecast released Friday by meteorologists at Colorado State University calls for six more hurricanes by the time the hurricane season ends on Nov. 30, three of them Category 3 or above. On average, about one major hurricane in three makes landfall in the United States.

"We expect that by the time the 2005 hurricane season is over, we will witness tropical cyclone activity at near record levels," the Colorado State meteorologists wrote.

So far there have been four hurricanes this year — Katrina, Irene, Emily and Dennis, a Category 3 storm that caused more than $1 billion in damage to the Florida panhandle in July. There have been nine tropical storms.

That puts this season's tropical cyclone activity to date above the average for an entire year, the Colorado State forecast noted. In a more normal year, Mother Nature has produced about a third of her annual allotment of hurricanes and tropical storms by this point in the season.

No major storms currently threaten the U.S. coastline. The latest report from the National Weather Service mentions only Tropical Storm Maria.

"Maria could be near hurricane strength by Sunday," said Jack Beven, a meteorologist at the National Hurricane Center in Miami.

The storm is not currently expected to reach the U.S. mainland.

The number and intensity of hurricanes is largely determined by water temperatures at the sea surface. This year the waters of the tropical Atlantic, Caribbean and Gulf of Mexico are about as warm as they ever get.

If a major hurricane were to make landfall somewhere on the U.S. coast in the next two months, with the situation in Louisiana and Mississippi still demanding such a large portion of the nation's emergency management resources, mounting another relief effort would certainly be more difficult than usual. But as Florida demonstrated when four hurricanes passed through the state in seven weeks last year, repeated storms are not necessarily unmanageable.

"It would be a challenge, but I don't think it would be catastrophic," Cutter said.

And in many respects another hurricane in the area already devastated by Katrina would only add insult to injury.

"It sounds horrible, but it may not be that bad," Cutter said. "The sad thing is that most of the damage has already been done."

But in New Orleans itself, any violent weather threatens to expand the gaping holes that Katrina opened in the city's flood control infrastructure.

"Even a tropical storm I think would wreak havoc," said Joannes Westerink, a civil engineer at the University of Notre Dame who produces computer simulations of storm surges for the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, the Federal Emergency Management Agency and other clients.

Even the daily tidal flows of Lake Pontchartrain threaten to aggravate the conditions left by Hurricane Katrina, he said.

Westerink said he and his colleagues have started working on simulations depicting the effects of a hurricane on the New Orleans levee system in its current state. They expect to have a complete picture in a few days of what another hurricane could do to the city.

New Orleans also remains vulnerable to a Mississippi River flood brought on by heavy rains upstream. But the usual flooding season for the river is spring and early summer.

New Orleans paper rips federal response
Times-Picayune: Everybody at FEMA should be fired

NEW ORLEANS, Louisiana (CNN) -- Louisiana's largest newspaper printed a blistering editorial in Sunday's edition under the headline "An Open Letter to the President," criticizing the federal government's response to Hurricane Katrina.

The Times-Picayune -- which abandoned its New Orleans headquarters and temporarily ceased its print publication last week -- called on every Federal Emergency Management Agency official to be fired, "Director Michael Brown especially."

"Our people deserved to be rescued," the editorial said. "No expense should have been spared. No excuses should have been voiced. Especially not one as preposterous as the claim that New Orleans couldn't be reached." (Read the editorial.)

The editorial joined other voices criticizing the governmental response to the disaster. Criticism has come from people affected on the ground as well as from politicians of both parties, including New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin. (Full story)

Aaron Broussard, the president of Jefferson Parish in New Orleans, broke down in tears Sunday as he recounted how a colleague's mother drowned awaiting rescue from a nursing home.

"Everyday, she called and she said, 'Are you coming, son? Is somebody coming?' " Broussard told NBC's "Meet the Press."

"And he said, 'Yeah, mama, somebody's going to get you.

"'Somebody's coming to get you on Tuesday.

"'Somebody's coming to get you on Wednesday.

"'Somebody's coming to get you on Thursday.

"'Somebody's coming to get you on Friday,' and she drowned Friday night."

"Nobody's coming to get her. The secretary's promised, everybody's promised; they've had press conferences. I'm sick of the press conferences.

"For God's sake, shut up and send us somebody."

The secretary to whom Broussard referred, Michael Chertoff of the Department of Homeland Security, on Sunday rejected criticism of his agency's work.

"This was not just a hurricane; it was a hurricane that was followed by a flood," Chertoff told CNN's "Late Edition."

"It was unprecedented and, I think, that created a challenge that, frankly, overwhelmed a lot of people -- state and local folks. We had people on the ground who were pre-positioned," he said, citing 50 Coast Guard helicopters as an example.

Chertoff said federal authorities "moved as rapidly as we could," and added that he, too, was frustrated that the pace of the response was not quicker.

"The fact of the matter is: It's never enough when there are still people suffering," he said.

"But there's also a tremendous amount of credit to be given: to the folks in the Coast Guard and the FEMA people and the state and local rescue people and, ultimately, the National Guard and the military, in rising to the challenge of this really unprecedented catastrophe."

Democrat to submit FEMA bill
Also Sunday, the top Democrat on the House Department of Homeland Security Committee blasted the federal government for its response.

"It was too little, too late," said Rep. Bennie Thompson, a Mississippi Democrat. "We missed the mark."

Thompson said the blame can be traced to the merger of the Federal Emergency Management Agency with the Homeland Security Department, when domestic preparedness "took a back seat" to preparing for terrorist attacks.

More recovery assets should have been stationed in a region where they could have been moved in to the affected area as soon as the storm had passed, he said.

"At the end of the day, somebody has to be held accountable," Thompson said.

Rep. John D. Dingell said he will introduce legislation Tuesday that would remove FEMA from the Department of Homeland Security and make it, instead, an independent agency headed by a Cabinet-level executive reporting directly to the president.

"While listening to the wounded, broken souls who have emerged from the devastation of Hurricane Katrina, I can clearly see that FEMA has lost its way," the Democrat from Michigan said in a written statement.

The mayor of Hattiesburg, Mississippi, said major problems still existed there.

Though 50 trucks carrying water and ice are stationed in Mississippi's Camp Shelby, FEMA has refused to release them, Mayor Johnny DuPree said.

"They're sitting down there right now because one person from FEMA won't make the call to say, 'Release those trucks,' " he said.

Two-thirds of residents of the southern Mississippi city have no power, and that figure was 100 percent for three-and-a-half days, he added.

He said FEMA representatives did not arrive in Hattiesburg -- 95 miles from New Orleans -- until Saturday.

"People from all over America have come in to help us," he said. "But the people who get paid to do this haven't done what I think they should have done."

"It could have been done a lot better," said Rep. William Jefferson, a Louisiana Democrat.

He said firefighters who had traveled to New Orleans to help relieve over-stretched counterparts had not been put to use. Authorities still "can't find ways to integrate firefighters offering help from other states," he said.

Rep. Bobby Jindal, a Louisiana Republican, added, "I think there's plenty of blame to go around at the state and federal levels."

But, he told CNN, "It's not the time to blame; it's time to make sure somebody's in charge."

Commander: 'This hurts to the heart'
The military commander in charge of the relief efforts, Lt. Gen. Russel Honore, defended the response time of authorities, saying they moved as quickly as possible, although he wished they could have moved faster.

"This hurts to the heart. And I can tell you that myself from walking the streets of New Orleans and seeing the people," he told CNN. "If we could have done it faster ... it would have been done. This is America. This is why we have one of the best militaries in the world, but it took time to get there."

Chertoff came to the defense of Brown, the FEMA director.

"On Saturday, he was on TV telling people in New Orleans they have to take it seriously, they've got to start to move to protect themselves," said Chertoff, who is Brown's boss.

Chertoff noted that Brown led FEMA's response to four hurricanes in Florida last year.

"I think anybody who lived through 2004 went through a crucible of training that is really remarkable," he said.

The secretary said disaster planners have long had a problem getting people to evacuate. He did not address the fact that lack of money, lack of transportation and physical problems prevented many from following the order to flee.

"I am concerned people, perhaps, didn't take it seriously enough up front."

But the time for self-criticism is not now, when life-saving work remains to be done, he said.

"We're going to go back and look at all of this after-action, when we have time, but I've got to emphasize something: We are still in the middle of an emergency," Chertoff said.

Asked about President Bush's comment Thursday to ABC News that, "I don't think anybody anticipated the breach of the levees," Chertoff defended his boss.

"I think that did catch people by surprise," the secretary said. "I don't think anybody has seen that kind of massive breach -- in fact, multiple, massive breaches."

Scientists, federal officials and others had predicted for decades the potential for a Katrina-like disaster, with levees breaking and water swamping New Orleans, most of which sits below sea level.

Chertoff said FEMA is not equipped to send large numbers of people to help during a disaster.

Instead, he said, "FEMA basically plugs in to the existing state and local infrastructure. What happened here was, essentially, the demolishment of that state and local infrastructure and, I think, that really caused a cascading series of breakdowns."

The lessons from Katrina may result in a change in the way FEMA responds to such emergencies, moving from playing a supportive role to playing a more central role, he said.

Asked whether the government could have done a better job, he responded, "I think, when we go back and look at this, we're going to see a lot of things we put in place worked well; there are some things which did not work well."

I totally disagree when the President compared this disaster to 9/11. In 9/11 there was small controlled rescue mission no one left to save. They were getting people out the rumble, but this was CITIES of people. So comparing the response between the two is just dumb.
If the federal government had responded as it should have then THOUSANDS of people might have escaped the flood waters. Instead they are going around doing press confreneces, saying that people chose to stay. Sure some did, but the majority had NO way to get out. And now they are saying that no one could forsee this disaster??? :wtf:
Everyone knew this was coming! They have been talking about this hurricane for the past ten years, saying that the levies wouldn't hold up. Oh, and if I ever hear someone say the Global warming isn't a factor I will... I dont know. This is the one of the saddest things I have ever witnessed

And here is my last thought on the matter of federal response: It took Pres.Bush 7 minutes to respond to 9/11, it took him three days to respond the Katrina... we will all be dead by the time he responds to a nuclear attack on America.
Castro responded faster than Bush, when he offered aid to the Gulf Coast!!!

Julia08 said:
I totally disagree when the President compared this disaster to 9/11. In 9/11 there was small controlled rescue mission no one left to save. They were getting people out the rumble, but it was CITIES of people. So comparing the response between the two is just dumb.
If the federal government had responded as it should have then THOUSANDS of people might have escaped the flood waters. Instead they are going around doing press confreneces, saying that people chose to stay. Sure some did, but the majority had NO way to get out. And now they are saying that no one could forsee this disaster???  :wtf:
Everyone knew this was coming! They have been talking about this hurricane for the past ten years, saying that the levies wouldn't hold up. Oh, and if I ever hear someone say the Global warming isn't a factor I will... I dont know. This is the one of the saddest things I have ever experienced!!

And here is my last thought on the matter of federal response: It took Pres.Bush 7 minutes to respond to 9/11, it took him three days to respond the Katrina... we will all be dead by the time he responds to a nuclear attack on America.
[post="1480964"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

I completely agree hun!

This is absolutely shocking, that a nation such as ours cannot rescue it's own people. There are still people stuck in New Orleans without food and water a WEEK after the hurricane hit. They feel as though they've been left there to die. It disgusts me to no end.

It makes me soo mad to see these guys doing press conference after press conference trying to cover their own butts. "We couldn't see this coming." "We didn't know the levees were going to break." That's all a bunch of bs. They've known that a hurrincane of this magnitude was going to hit. It was number 3 on the worst disasters that could ever come to the US (behind a nuclear attack and a terrorist attack). The levees have been a concern for decades! Every president since Nixon has continued funding to let people keep working on the levees to make them stronger. Bush was the ONLY president who did not. He cut funding and last summer for the first time in 37 years work on the levees was stopped. I hate seeing these guys blame the victims...it's not their fault! I hate seeing them say that they never thought it was going to be this bad. Actually the hurricane wasn't as strong as they anticipated...it weakened! Friday afternoon at 5:00 they said that it was going to hit New Orleans as either a category 4 or 5...yet nothing was done. I hate seeing them pat each other on the back for a "job well done". The job isn't done and it certainly hasn't been done well.

I've honestly never been so angry in my entire life at the government. It's absolutely ridiculous that the federal government can't help it's own people in their time of need.

Thank goodness for the citizens of the US who have donated and opend up their doors to the people who have had their lives devastated by this tragedy...they're the real heroes in all of this.

Jamison said:
There was no one to drive the buses.  He was outraged that people weren't sending bus drivers and buses.
The evacuation plan for N.O. clearly states that all city and school buses are to be used for the complete evacuation of the city. Yet, today, those buses lie in a flooded parking lot.

AliasHombre said:
The evacuation plan for N.O. clearly states that all city and school buses are to be used for the complete evacuation of the city.  Yet, today, those buses lie in a flooded parking lot.
[post="1481451"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

I never said that they shouldn't have been used, they should've been used(although in the evacuation plan it says nothing about city and school buses, just that transportation will be given to those who rely on public transportation). But like I said before, it wasn't a matter of not having buses, it was a matter of not having drivers. They pleaded with people to send drivers down there. Not everyone can drive a bus. And for many legal issues (which yes seem silly now) not everyone legally can.

It also says that while the mayor is in charge, they need to be kept up to speed by those above him (and those above him were clueless). And allow for at least 72 hours from start to finish (which really means that they need adequate time to get everyone out of there...starting when the first person leaves and ending when the last person gets to their destination).

Even when it was predicted to hit on the Friday before, they wouldn't have had enough time to get everyone out of there. It also says that they will set up shelters for those who can't leave and do not wish to leave...they did that, but sadly it wasn't an ideal situation.

There are so many what ifs in this thing. If Bush hadn't been the first President in 37 years to cause work on the levees to halt, New Orleans might not have flooded. If it weren't for global warming then this hurricane might have never popped up. If it weren't for total ineptitude, then help might've arrived faster saving thousands of lives. And if it weren't for people waiting until the last minute to order an evacuation thousands of lives could've potentially been saved.

Even though there are still people trapped in their houses...help is finally on the way. And many people have been relocated to shelters around the country. It amazes me how absolutely wonderful American citizens have been. I know so many people who have given so much. I have a friend at school who lives in a one bedroom apartment. He's put his apartment up as a place for a displaced family to come live. He said he doesn't have much but wants to do something, and this is what he can do. I think it's amazing. My family is taking suit and is opening our home to evacuees who need a place to stay...we may never get them because the response is so great.

If it weren't for the American people and the American spirit I don't know what these people would've done. (And I haven't forgotten about all the countries around the world who have offered so much money and aid [like Kuwait who offered 500 million dollars], it's just that the US hasn't accepted any of it...and sadly, isn't likely to do so for political reasons).

Oh, and you can read the New Orleans evacuation plan here: http://www.cityofno.com/SystemModules/Prin...tal=46&tabid=26

It is quite lengthy though.

ETA:

This is kinda spooky, but next time someone says they never saw this coming, you'll know that they're lying.

It was a broiling August afternoon in New Orleans, Louisiana, the Big Easy, the City That Care Forgot. Those who ventured outside moved as if they were swimming in tupelo honey. Those inside paid silent homage to the man who invented air-conditioning as they watched TV "storm teams" warn of a hurricane in the Gulf of Mexico. Nothing surprising there: Hurricanes in August are as much a part of life in this town as hangovers on Ash Wednesday.

But the next day the storm gathered steam and drew a bead on the city. As the whirling maelstrom approached the coast, more than a million people evacuated to higher ground. Some 200,000 remained, however the car-less, the homeless, the aged and infirm, and those die-hard New Orleanians who look for any excuse to throw a party.

The storm hit Breton Sound with the fury of a nuclear warhead, pushing a deadly storm surge into Lake Pontchartrain. The water crept to the top of the massive berm that holds back the lake and then spilled over. Nearly 80 percent of New Orleans lies below sea level more than eight feet below in places so the water poured in. A liquid brown wall washed over the brick ranch homes of Gentilly, over the clapboard houses of the Ninth Ward, over the white-columned porches of the Garden District, until it raced through the bars and strip joints on Bourbon Street like the pale rider of the Apocalypse. As it reached 25 feet (eight meters) over parts of the city, people climbed onto roofs to escape it.

Thousands drowned in the murky brew that was soon contaminated by sewage and industrial waste. Thousands more who survived the flood later perished from dehydration and disease as they waited to be rescued. It took two months to pump the city dry, and by then the Big Easy was buried under a blanket of putrid sediment, a million people were homeless, and 50,000 were dead. It was the worst natural disaster in the history of the United States.

When did this calamity happen? It hasn't yet. But the doomsday scenario is not far-fetched. The Federal Emergency Management Agency lists a hurricane strike on New Orleans as one of the most dire threats to the nation, up there with a large earthquake in California or a terrorist attack on New York City. Even the Red Cross no longer opens hurricane shelters in the city, claiming the risk to its workers is too great.
Taken from the October 2004 issue of National Geographic.

I haven't got time to respond to everything because I am at work but clearly

Bush hadn't been the first President in 37 years to cause work on the levees to halt, New Orleans might not have flooded

leaves a lot to be desired. Bush may be the only president to stop work on the levees but he is also the only president, in living memory, to have a major terrorist outrage during his term of office and to be overseeing a massive change in world affairs.

You wouldn't care about the leeves if he there had been another terrorist attack. Blaming him for that is unfair.

^
I disagree. You cant stop working on something can be as benificial and important in this potential situation (which is not something to be overlooked, considering the areas history with hurricanes) as the leeves, and then turn around and say "yes, i did stop working on something that could have saved many lives, but i did have a lot of other things on my mind."

The wellbeing of the American people shouldnt be put out of mind by their own president because hes more interested in other things.

And yes, no one would be caring about the leeves if they had never been brought to anyones attention, but the fact is they HAVE been, and so has Bush's lack of action when it comes to them.

Kelly V said:
^
I disagree. You cant stop working on something can be as benificial and important in this potential situation (which is not something to be overlooked, considering the areas history with hurricanes) as the leeves, and then turn around and say "yes, i did stop working on something that could have saved many lives, but i did have a lot of other things on my mind."

The wellbeing of the American people shouldnt be put out of mind by their own president because hes more interested in other things.

And yes, no one would be caring about the leeves if they had never been brought to anyones attention, but the fact is they HAVE been, and so has Bush's lack of action when it comes to them.
[post="1481779"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Exactly.

And let's not forget that the people in New Orleans have ALWAYS cared about the levees. This hurricane was number 3 on the worst case scenerio disasters to hit the US. Why wouldn't you do everything in your power to try to prevent something of this magnitude (we've done things to prevent the top 2...why overlook this one?); something that you know is going to happen at some time or another?

If other people had skipped out on funding, then I certainly wouldn't be blaming him. But since Nixon every president has continued to fund the levees...he's the only one who hasn't, and last year was the first time work on the levees was halted...due to lack of funds. Sure he has an obligation to the war, and to protect us from terrorism. But he also had an obligation to keep those people in New Orleans safe...and he failed, miserably.

D. Regional Transit Authority

* Supply transportation as needed in accordance with the current Standard Operating Procedures.

* Place special vehicles on alert to be utilized if needed.

* Position supervisors and dispatch evacuation buses.

Sounds like its there to me.

AliasHombre said:
D. Regional Transit Authority

* Supply transportation as needed in accordance with the current Standard Operating Procedures.

* Place special vehicles on alert to be utilized if needed.

* Position supervisors and dispatch evacuation buses.

Sounds like its there to me.
[post="1482016"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

That's still not the point (it still doesn't specifically say school buses). I have acknowledged that the buses should've been used, and the Louisiana government has done the same. There weren't bus drivers. Buses do little good with no one to drive them.

Exactly.

And let's not forget that the people in New Orleans have ALWAYS cared about the levees. This hurricane was number 3 on the worst case scenerio disasters to hit the US. Why wouldn't you do everything in your power to try to prevent something of this magnitude (we've done things to prevent the top 2...why overlook this one?); something that you know is going to happen at some time or another?

If other people had skipped out on funding, then I certainly wouldn't be blaming him. But since Nixon every president has continued to fund the levees...he's the only one who hasn't, and last year was the first time work on the levees was halted...due to lack of funds. Sure he has an obligation to the war, and to protect us from terrorism. But he also had an obligation to keep those people in New Orleans safe...and he failed, miserably.

Why overlook this one, because unless you would like to spend 90% of your money in taxes, budgets are finante. Maybe there was not enough money to go around.

You would know nothing about it if this hadn't happened and thats the bottom line, you only started caring last week, its just an excuse to bash Bush.

Also Cuba is not a dictatorship, its a socialist country, it has an elected assembly with a highly powerful executive, not unlike many other countries.

noggi16 said:
Why overlook this one, because unless you would like to spend 90% of your money in taxes, budgets are finante. Maybe there was not enough money to go around.

You would know nothing about it if this hadn't happened and thats the bottom line, you only started caring last week, its just an excuse to bash Bush.

Also Cuba is not a dictatorship, its a socialist country, it has an elected assembly with a highly powerful executive, not unlike many other countries.
[post="1482098"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

With the money spent in 6 weeks in Iraq, we could've continued to fund the levees for years...but the funding was cut by 44%. Last year the US Army Corps of Engineers wanted to study how New Orleans could be protected from a hurricane of Katrina's magnitude, the Bush administration ordered the research to not be undertaken. I don't understand why you wouldn't do everything in your power to try to preven something that could and probably has killed thousands.

And actually I have known a lot about the levee system and how it needed to support...so don't say that I would know nothing if this hadn't happened and I'm just using it as an excuse to bash Bush (trust me there are plenty of other things that people could use against Bush)...that is absolutely not true, and it disgusts me that people would think that. I have (well make that had) family in New Orleans, and visited the city quite a few times over the years, and I have always cared about the levees, just like those people in New Orleans, because I knew those levees were keeping my family safe and dry, and if something were to happen to them they could die. Not to mention I did an enormous report while in high school on the city and marshland surrounding it, and how very important those levees are (as well as the marshland). Even without doing my research, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that when you have a city below sea level with water surrounding it, levees are pretty imporatant.

And the Cuba thing was a slip of the hand. I know it's a socialist country (blame the dictatorship thing on the US government). All I was pointing out was that we will never accept Fidel Castro's donation. And we'll never accept the donations from most if not all of the countries who have offered such donations. These people want to help us, yet we don't want to look like we need the help, when the truth is that we do.

Jamison said:
That's still not the point (it still doesn't specifically say school buses).  I have acknowledged that the buses should've been used, and the Louisiana government has done the same.  There weren't bus drivers.  Buses do little good with no one to drive them.
[post="1482027"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
It is the mayors job and responsability to order the buses be used. That means he can order the bus drivers to drive the buses.

Julia08 said:
I totally disagree when the President compared this disaster to 9/11. In 9/11 there was small controlled rescue mission no one left to save. They were getting people out the rumble, but this was CITIES of people. So comparing the response between the two is just dumb.
If the federal government had responded as it should have then THOUSANDS of people might have escaped the flood waters. Instead they are going around doing press confreneces, saying that people chose to stay. Sure some did, but the majority had NO way to get out. And now they are saying that no one could forsee this disaster???  :wtf:
Everyone knew this was coming! They have been talking about this hurricane for the past ten years, saying that the levies wouldn't hold up. Oh, and if I ever hear someone say the Global warming isn't a factor I will... I dont know. This is the one of the saddest things I have ever witnessed

[post="1480964"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
yea i agree, Bush just doesn't do a good job ;)

First off, I am going to say what some have not, my heart and thoughts are with those who have suffered because of this disaster. It's sad that I've gone through these pages and only a select few have actually said this. If this didn't happen in my country I still would have cared and offered my support not be callous and tell the people of that countrty that they don't need support whether it be financial or otherwise. Innocent lives were lost and the most tragic thing about this is, it could have been prevented.

Unlike 9/11 as Bush claimed, we knew that Katrina was coming yet the aftermath is devastating and our leader stayed on vacation. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the states that were greatly effected were the ones that voted for him or the "red" states. I guess they thought that our leader would protect and care for his own people through anything, whether it be a terrorist attack or a natural disaster. Now, it's obvious that Bush meant the former and not the latter.

Concerning Kanye's comments, no American can deny that the mainstream media is racially biased. I do not doubt that people of all races are acting irrationally during this chaotic time, yet it is the minorities that are "caught" on film doing so. His closing statement claiming that Bush doesn't care about black people....I believe Bush only cared for those who would could help during the election but now..he doesn't because he's in office. If he did, then the number of lives that have been lost would not be so high. Is he the only one to blame? No but he is one of the major reasons why this situation was mishandled and the results were so devastating. This happened on his land and on his watch.

I'm sorry I haven't posted sooner.

I'm so sorry for those of you who have lost their homes, you're in my prayers. My class even donated some money towards the hurrican relief fund, not much but we're trying to help. :blush: I just hope that everyone in your families are safe and that you yourselves are safe. I'm so sorry that this happened and you'll be in my thoughts and prayers. :smiley:

Back