Politics Hurricane Wilma

Jamison

Cadet
It seems like we've had topic and topic about hurricanes, and I don't think this one should be left out. In less than 24 hours it jumped from a Category 2 to a Category 5, and it has set records...for the most hurricanes in a season (12) and the most named storms in a season (21). It has also has the lowest pressure of any hurricane in the Atlantic. It is at 882 millibars, the record was held by Hurricane Gilbert with 888 millibars.

This storm, as of now, is a monster and is expected to hit south western Florida by the weekend. I hope eveyone down there stays safe and keeps their eye on this thing.

Hurricane Wilma creates record barometric pressure
Forecasters: Pressure a sign of intensity

(CNN) -- Hurricane Wilma jumped from a Category 2 to a dangerous Category 5 storm Wednesday, with the lowest-recorded barometric pressure of any Atlantic basin hurricane, the National Hurricane Center said.

Lower pressure is one indicator of a more intense hurricane.

The storm -- located in the western Caribbean -- was forecast to make landfall somewhere in southwestern Florida as soon as the weekend.

At 8 a.m. ET, the NHC reported an Air Force reconnaissance plane measured the storm's pressure at 882 millibars -- below the record of 888 millibars in 1988's Hurricane Gilbert.

(Watch forecast for Hurricane Wilma to turn toward Florida -- 1:16)

Forecasters warned that Wilma is a "catastrophic" Category 5 storm -- the highest category on the Saffir-Simpson scale of hurricane intensity.

It strengthened within a matter of a few hours -- at 1 a.m. ET, the hurricane center reported the storm had 150 mph winds, taking it from a Category 2 to a Category 4. Just 90 minutes later, the center reported Wilma had maximum sustained winds of 175 mph and higher gusts.

The long-range forecast has Wilma weakening to a Category 3 by Saturday, before hitting the United States. Due to the erratic nature of hurricane movement, such long-term forecasts often change.

Year's third Category 5
Wilma is the third Category 5 storm this year, preceded by Hurricane Katrina, which killed thousands when it slammed into the Gulf Coast on August 29, and Hurricane Rita, which followed weeks later.

The center said it did not know if that was a record because it does not track the number of Category 5 hurricanes in a season.

Wilma, however, did tie two other records Tuesday -- that of the most hurricanes in a season: 12; and the most named storms in a season: 21.

At 5 a.m. ET, the center of the storm was located 170 miles south-southwest of Grand Cayman Island and about 365 miles southeast of Cozumel, Mexico. It was moving west-northwest at nearly 8 mph and is expected to turn to the northwest over the next 24 hours, the hurricane center said.

A Category 5 hurricane can cause a storm surge of 18 feet above normal and catastrophic damage.

Projections for Wilma's path suggest the storm may skirt the western tip of Cuba on Friday, possibly as a Category 4 storm with winds of greater than 130 mph, before curving eastward and barreling toward the southwestern Florida coast.

"All interests in the Florida Keys and the Florida peninsula should closely monitor the progress of Wilma," the NHC said. (Full story)

Hurricane-force winds extend outward about 15 miles from the eye, and tropical-storm-force winds stretch up to 155 miles from the center.

Cuban hurricane watch
Cuba has issued a hurricane watch for the provinces of Matanzas westward through Pinar del Rio and for the Isle of Youth, according to the hurricane center. Late Tuesday, Mexico extended a hurricane watch for the Yucatan Peninsula. The watch area now stretches from Punta Gruesa to Cabo Catoche. A hurricane watch means hurricane conditions, including winds of at least 74 mph, are possible within 36 hours.

A 150-mile stretch of the Honduran coast is under a tropical storm warning, and the Cayman Islands are under tropical storm warning and a hurricane watch.

The hurricane center said Cuba could get anywhere from 10 to 15 inches of rain in Wilma's wake, with some areas getting socked with as much as 25 inches. Additional rainfall accumulations of of up to 10 inches, with up to 15 inches possible in some areas, was possible across the Cayman Islands and Jamaica through Thursday. Across the Yucatan Peninsula, rainfall of up to 6 inches was possible, with up to 12 inches in some areas.

Wilma is the 21st named storm of the 2005 hurricane season and the 12th to reach hurricane status. Of those, five have developed into major hurricanes.

The only other time 12 hurricanes have been recorded in the Atlantic was in 1969, according to the hurricane center. The most major hurricanes in a year was eight, in 1950.

Wilma is also the final name on the 2005 list. The hurricane center does not use some letters of the alphabet, including X, Y and Z.

If any tropical storms and subsequent hurricanes form before the season ends on November 30, they will be classified using the Greek alphabet, beginning with Alpha.

If that happens, it would be the first time since the naming of storms began in 1953, according to the hurricane center.

I have family and friends down there but they live in central florida..except one..my dear Mikey! I hope that it dies die so that it won't be as devastating as Katrina. We're already spread so thin.

Don't y'all just hate it when mother nature PMSes?

it's going up and the US is "up" from where Wilma is now with nothing inbetween except more warm water. i think it WILL hit the US at this strength. Wilma is PMS-ing even more than Katrina, so people down there, watch out.

Don't y'all just hate it when mother nature PMSes?
:smiley:

Hurricane after hurricane.. -_- I hope it won't hit the US with the current strength and everyone stays safe. Just wondering, do they give male names to hurricanes? There's been Katrina, Rita and now Wilma..

It wont be this strong for long, and certainly wont strike american soil at this stregnth.

Doesn't make it any less significant or historic. Even if it caused no damage it is still the strongest storm on record in the Atlantic.

it's going up and the US is "up" from where Wilma is now with nothing inbetween except more warm water. i think it WILL hit the US at this strength. Wilma is PMS-ing even more than Katrina, so people down there, watch out.

Right now they believe that it will hit Florida and then drift out to sea. They think that it'll probably hit Florida as a Category 2 or 3 (which is still pretty powerful). But you never really know until it happens, I don't think many people were expecting it to gain so much strength so quickly.

:smiley:

Hurricane after hurricane.. -_- I hope it won't hit the US with the current strength and everyone stays safe. Just wondering, do they give male names to hurricanes? There's been Katrina, Rita and now Wilma..

There was Charlie and in the 80's there was Gilbert.

Yes, there are male names to hurricanes. The list alternates between male and female. IE Alex Betty Chris Dolly...those are the real names I just made them up but whatever. :lol:

And I'm quite mad at Wilma right now because it cant make up her mind :rolleyes: I'm in "the cone of uncertainity" right now...actually close to "the line." Of course now they're saying it might miss Florida completely...gosh, MAKE UP YOUR MIND, Wilma. -_-

after the Women's Liberation Movement in the 60s, they changed it so that it alternates male and female names in a given season like riley pointed out. and not only are female named ones destructive, look at Andrew in 92.

after the Women's Liberation Movement in the 60s, they changed it so that it alternates male and female names in a given season like riley pointed out. and not only are female named ones destructive, look at Andrew in 92.

Or Ivan just last year (sorry, that one sticks out in my mind because it caused pretty much the whole western part of my state to flood [like my hometown and college town]...and that was just a tropical storm when it hit us!).

Doesn't make it any less significant or historic. Even if it caused no damage it is still the strongest storm on record in the Atlantic.
Right now they believe that it will hit Florida and then drift out to sea. They think that it'll probably hit Florida as a Category 2 or 3 (which is still pretty powerful). But you never really know until it happens, I don't think many people were expecting it to gain so much strength so quickly.
It does make it less historic. What hurricane is more known, Gilbert or Andrew?

Forecasters were expecting the explosion in the intensity of the storm and again have correctly forcasted the gradual weakening which has already begun before it hits florida.

It does make it less historic. What hurricane is more known, Gilbert or Andrew?

Forecasters were expecting the explosion in the intensity of the storm and again have correctly forcasted the gradual weakening which has already begun before it hits florida.

Historic doesn't have to mean more well known, and in parts of the world I guarentee that Gilbert is more well known. While Andrew caused billions of dollars of damage in the US it only accounted for, thankfully, 23 deaths in the US and 3 in the Bahamas. Gilbert, however, caused 318 deaths, many of which were in Mexico. So if you were to ask someone in Mexico which hurricane is more well known and more historic, then I bet they'd say Gilbert.

And something doesn't have to cause billions of dollars worth of damage to be historic. This made history, can't deny that.

Wilma has already caused death and destruction, and while a Category 4 right now, forecasters are saying that it is likely that it will regain strength and once again be a Category 5 tomorrow (and by tomorrow I mean today...Thursday).

Regardless, its still in the middle of the ocean. The strongest winds are wrapped around a 15 mile wide area near the eye. It may have been the strongest recorded hurricane ever in the atlantic basin but thats just a novelty unless the storm actually makes landfall at that stregnth, which it wont.

Wilma may hit Florida by Sunday night
Storm off Mexico's Yucatan could intensify

MIAMI, Florida (CNN) -- Hurricane Wilma was bearing down on Mexico as forecasters Thursday put the Category 4 storm on track to hit Florida on Sunday.

"Believe me, this is still a very, very powerful hurricane," said Max Mayfield, director of the National Hurricane Center in Miami. "Don't minimize this just because it's no longer a Category 5."

On Wednesday, the hurricane was a powerful Category 5 storm on the Saffir-Simpson intensity scale with sustained winds peaking at 175 mph. (Watch latest update on Wilma -- 1:45)

Wilma's projected track could take it anywhere between Tampa, Florida, and the Florida Keys, Mayfield said.

The best guess is that Wilma will hit somewhere in southwest Florida on Sunday afternoon or evening, he said.

Wilma is churning slowly toward Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula with top winds strengthening slightly Thursday afternoon to near 150 mph (240 kph). The storm was expected to graze the peninsula before veering off toward Florida.

In the southwestern Cuban fishing village of Batabano, a low-lying area particularly vulnerable to flooding, residents did what they could to stave off Wilma's wrath.

One man used a piece of rope to secure the roof of his home against oncoming winds.

Cuban authorities are evacuating 500,000 residents from its westernmost provinces.

By Thursday afternoon more than 222,000 residents had been removed from their homes, many of which are falling apart after Hurricanes Dennis and Rita hit Cuba this year.

Cuba has issued a hurricane watch for the provinces of Matanzas westward through Pinar del Rio and for the Isle of Youth, according to the National Hurricane Center. (Caribbean braces)

The hurricane center said Cuba could get anywhere from 10 to 20 inches (25 to 51 centimeters) of rain from Wilma, with some areas getting socked with as much as 40 inches. (Watch Cuban hurricane preps -- 2:09)

Floridians watch

To the north, along Florida's southwest coast, authorities in Lee County were tracking the storm closely.

"We're going to meet this afternoon with our county emergency management director," said Chuck Rinehart, police chief in Punta Gorda, a coastal community hit hard by Hurricane Charley in 2004.

"We're mainly in a monitoring phase now to determine the direction that the storm is going to take and [a decision on whether to order an evacuation] will be made later this afternoon or maybe tomorrow," he said Thursday morning.

'We are staying'

Despite still-damaged property from Charley and lingering fears, some members of the community plan to ride out Wilma.

"We are staying," said resident Sarah Borden. "It's so hard to know because if you rush off now and it may not come, you've wasted all that time, and then even if you go, you worry about people who are left behind and your house. So we will stay."

The slowing storm prompted authorities in the Florida Keys to postpone from Thursday to Friday a mandatory evacuation order for residents, according to the Monroe County Office of Emergency Management.

The Navy evacuated aircraft from Naval Air Station Key West, including 26 F/A-18 Hornet fighter jets and a cargo plane. The aircraft were headed to bases in the northern part of the state, Navy officials said. Base personnel will be evacuated on Friday, the officials said.

President Bush mentioned Washington's role in preparing for Wilma during a White House news conference Thursday.

"We got a job to make sure this hurricane headed toward Florida -- the federal response -- is prepared for it," he said.

As of 8 p.m. ET, Wilma's center was about 120 miles (195 kilometers) southeast of Cozumel, Mexico, and was moving northwest at near 5 mph (8 kph), the hurricane center said.

Hurricane-force winds of at least 74 mph (118 kph) extended outward from the center up to 85 miles (140 kilometers), and tropical storm-force winds of at least 39 mph (62 kph) up to 200 miles (325 kilometers).

A hurricane warning was in effect from San Felipe to Chetumal on the Yucatan, including Cozumel and the nearby islands. A hurricane warning was also in effect for Swan Island.

Early Wednesday, the storm registered the lowest-recorded barometric pressure of any Atlantic basin hurricane in history -- an indication of its intensity, according to the hurricane center.

'Time for us to go'

In the Yucatan tourist playground of Cancun, lines of buses evacuated thousands of visitors from hotels while employees boarded up windows, The Associated Press reported. Tourists packed the city's airport trying to escape the storm's target zone.

"You hear it was the biggest storm on record, and yeah, that was the clincher right there," said Mark Carara of Colorado, who told the AP he cut his family's vacation two days short. "It was time for us to go."

South of Cancun in Playa de Carmen, Mike Goepfrich, of Minneapolis, Minnesota, told the AP he was staying put. "As long as they give me beer in the shelter, and my kids are safe, we'll be fine," Goepfrich said. "We're going to ride it out here."

But a fisherman nearby, Rolando Ramirez, 51, had a starker view of the storm, the AP reported. "People here aren't concerned about anything," Ramirez told the AP. "They don't know that when the hurricane comes, this will all be under water."

What is up with this season?!? meh

I remember hurricane Georges was a pretty decent storm. I think that happend around 97 or 98. All I really remember though is being w/o power for a 5 days. Which was nothing compaired to what Katrina did.

I really doubt that Wilma will gain more strength when/if she hits the US. She still has a lot more land to go through to get to Florida. That should calm her down a bit. At least she isn't a 5 anymore. Thank goodness for it too.

What is up with this season?!? meh

I remember hurricane Georges was a pretty decent storm. I think that happend around 97 or 98. All I really remember though is being w/o power for a 5 days. Which was nothing compaired to what Katrina did.

I really doubt that Wilma will gain more strength when/if she hits the US. She still has a lot more land to go through to get to Florida. That should calm her down a bit. At least she isn't a 5 anymore. Thank goodness for it too.

I'm glad she's no longer a 5 either. She's a Category 2 now, and they think she may get up to a Category 3 before hitting Florida (because of all the warm water in the gulf).

On a side note we had another tropical storm other there, "Alpha"...but it was downgraded to a tropical depression.

I heard about Alpha at lunch today. I'm glad to hear that Wilma is no longer a Category 5. It's horrible that this happened so recently after Katrina.

Back