Sci-Fi I am Mother (2019, Netflix)

Kevin

Code Monkey
Staff member
Title: I Am Mother

Genre: Science Fiction, Thriller

Director: Grant Sputore

Cast: Clara Rugaard, Hilary Swank, Rose Byrne, Luke Hawker, Tahlia Sturzaker, Maddie Lenton, Hazel Sandery, Summer Lenton, Jacob Nolan, Tracy Britton

Release: 2019-06-07

Runtime: 114

Plot: A teenage girl is raised underground by a robot "Mother", designed to repopulate the earth following an extinction event. But their unique bond is threatened when an inexplicable stranger arrives with alarming news.
I am Mother (2019, Netflix)

I am Mother is another film Netflix picked up at Sundance and will be premiering this year on June 7. In a post apocalyptic world AI machines care for the only surviving embryos of mankind. As they raise a girl to adulthood, in preparation of bringing back humans to a devastated world, a woman shows up who that contradicts everything the the girl has been taught by the AI "Mother" robot.

The 'Who's lying, the stranger or the robots?' part doesn't get my attention because, at its heart, that's a story that's been told countless times (just substitute "robots" for some other character). But... I can't recall seeing any movies that actually depict the scenario of what happens now that the humans really are gone. Sure, there's been disaster movies leading up to the apocalypse that wipes them out and apocalypse movies where surviving humans try to rebuild but I can't recall a movie where an ELE (Extinction Level Event) has already taken place and the last grasp for rebuilding humanity is kicking in. Titan A.E. maybe? hhhhmmm......

A sci-fi thriller about a teenage girl (Clara Rugaard), who is the first of a new generation of humans to be raised by Mother (Rose Byrne), a robot designed to repopulate the earth after the extinction of humankind. But the pair’s unique relationship is threatened when an injured stranger (Hilary Swank) arrives with news that calls into question everything Daughter has been told about the outside world and her Mother’s intentions.