I blame J.J. Abrams and maybe Lena Olin.

Asterax

Cadet
I am a zealous fan of Alias, and I can tell you why--J.J. Abram's ability to create a false reality where anything can happen. When a show can achieve that effect, it is addicting. The only downfall can come from the lack of cast or crew, but that is bound to happen.

The Alias cliffhanger is weak. I think I have about had it with the show. I put up with the huge piles of exposition in Season 3, but this cliffhanger is ridiculous. I really think the direction Alias heads is directly proportional to J.J. Abram's participation in the show. J.J. Abrams spreads himself over way too many projects. Clearly J.J. Abrams is an ambitious guy, but I guess he doesn't realizes when to stop placing himself into others projects when another is suffering. J.J. Abrams is like that teenager in high school who has joined too many clubs and sports and in result his academic work is suffering. Alias suffered in Season 3 in my opinion because Abrams was too busy on Lost and not taking enough of an active role in steering the direction of Alias. I also feel that Lena Olin was a issue with Alias. The entire Season 3 cliffhanger was blown by explaining her disappearance from the show, what a waste. And now they were able to bribe her back for last part of Season 4. I think The Season 4 cliffhanger is just another example of J.J. Abrams not being active enough in the Alias creative process. J.J. Abrams' world of Alias no longer feels nearly as believable as before and it seems like it is no longer his. I hate to say it, but I hope this is the last season because I cannot stand seeing this show sink any lower in quality.

Well you obviously don't know that the show has been renewed for a 5th season.

And I partly disagree with some of the things you said. I slightly agree with what you say about J.J. - he's spent more time with Lost, but who can blame him for something like that?

Do you think the other writers and producers of this show haven't been a large part of it before?

J.J. Abrams has written 12 out of 88 episodes. He wasn't as involved in previous seasons as you might think. Putting the blame of your disappointment on him is just not fair.

And I think the cliffhanger was pretty good. Everyone is freaking out about Vaughn and one of the main relationships of the show is now crumbling in the fans' minds. We don't know exactly what Vaughn did but we think Michael Vaughn apparently isn't his name, as he said, and he might not be such a good guy after all.

I thought the first half of Season 4 was kind of weak, aside from the premiere, but then the second half got things going again.

But hey man if you hope this is the last season, no one's gonna force you to watch next year. Alias is still much better than 90% of the shows out there. It's a quality TV show that just keeps surprising you everytime. Might not be the best right now (Lost), but it's still a good way to spend 42 minutes.

- Yeah, I'm aware that Alias was renewed for what has been rumored to be the last season and another time slot change.

- J.J. Abrams - IMDb

The Good Sailor (2006) (pre-production) (executive producer)
"What About Brian" (2005) TV Series (executive producer)
"The Catch" (2005) TV Series (executive producer)
"Lost" (2004) TV Series (executive producer)
and the Superman script

I'm not just talking about Lost here. If Abrams was just doing Lost and Alias, I wouldn't have cared.

- It makes sense he has only completely written a few episodes. My point refers to the fact that with five other projects, Abrams could not have as much influence in the creative writing process as in season 1 and season 2.

- As for the cliffhanger, I'm pretty indifferent to the fact that Vaughn could be a government official sent to gain Syd's trust (although I think that's pretty unbelievable). What really annoys me is that Syd and Vaughn not being in a relationship will probably be dragged out for another season. I just find it so boring after season 3 and Lauren.

- Unfortunately, most of season 4 was created to make up for season 3.

ivand67 said:
Well you obviously don't know that the show has been renewed for a 5th season.

And I partly disagree with some of the things you said. I slightly agree with what you say about J.J. - he's spent more time with Lost, but who can blame him for something like that?

Do you think the other writers and producers of this show haven't been a large part of it before?

J.J. Abrams has written 12 out of 88 episodes. He wasn't as involved in previous seasons as you might think. Putting the blame of your disappointment on him is just not fair.

And I think the cliffhanger was pretty good. Everyone is freaking out about Vaughn and one of the main relationships of the show is now crumbling in the fans' minds. We don't know exactly what Vaughn did but we think Michael Vaughn apparently isn't his name, as he said, and he might not be such a good guy after all.

I thought the first half of Season 4 was kind of weak, aside from the premiere, but then the second half got things going again.

But hey man if you hope this is the last season, no one's gonna force you to watch next year. Alias is still much better than 90% of the shows out there. It's a quality TV show that just keeps surprising you everytime. Might not be the best right now (Lost), but it's still a good way to spend 42 minutes.
[post="1359179"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

i totally agree with you on everything! well said! (y)

From verdantheart's column:

verdantheart said:
The Vaughn revelation constitutes the latest effort to turn the world upside down. Should we care if it makes sense or maintains continuity? Probably not. (Shrug) In other words, have we learned nothing from the past two seasons? Did they think this out? I wonder.

Oh man, I really wonder what has gotten worse on Alias, the writing or the fans becoming more gullible and docile toward the plot.

I have to totally agree with ivand67 on this agruement. Well Done, i totally agree. Alias is always rocking! Even though their may have been some lows, they weren't bad they actually built over time. Look i will always be a fan of alias and if it does end, i have the dvd's and i'm not fussed about that. But to see no other season past s5 it's really sad.

I have to agree that J.J. does seem to not care about Alias as he once did. I think needs to spend more time with it, and remember that Alias is a good show loved by many.
But it wasn't his fault that Lena Olin wouldn't come back in S3. They negotiated and she just didn't want to come back. But i don't see why everyone seems to hate the 3rd season. I liked whether she was there or not.
And as for the S4 finale i don't think it was that bad. Why does everyone hate that? There are so many things that could happen. Let's see what happens in S5 before we decide that the show has completely lost it.

Alias is awesome!!! That is pretty much all I can say. The finale was awesome, leaving you wondering what will happen next! It's exciting and I personally loved season 4. It started to bring back a little more of S1 and S2. A little more S/V, cliffhangers, missions, and all that stuff. Alias is the best show out there irght now and all of us alias fans have to keep it that way by watching :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D ................WELL OBVIOUSLY :lol: !

~Andrea :angelic:

Back