I might be moving... I need some advice.

Kuzzle

Cadet
Ok, so... My dad got a job offer in his old hometown, right? The job pays $7 an hour more than what he currently makes, and would require substantially less work. Add this to the fact that he doesn't like the town we live in now... *sigh*

He said we wouldn't leave unless I approved it, but that I should think it over. So, well... I started thinking, and... I don't have a whole lot holding me back. I mean, my best friend got hooked on drugs, and when his parents tried to take him to rehab, he ran away. Nobody's heard anything in over a week... I don't really have any other friends. I mean, I didn't get a single call all summer, nor have I gotten one the previous summers. In fact, nobody's called for me in years, since my best friend lived right across the street from me. I might start making friends this year, though...

So, I guess I'll make a chart of the +'s,-'s, and /'s(neutral points) of each place...

My Hometown

+ More people.

+ I know a few people here.

+ It's where I grew up...

+I don't have to take a plane to leave town.

- I don't have any good friends.

- I know several people here that I dispise.

The Competition

+ My dad would get a raise.

+ My dad might actually be able to pay me the $1,400 he owes me.

/ School would be easier, but I'd learn even less.

/ There are only a handful of other teenagers. If I hit it off, fine. If I don't, there's nobody else there.

- The "Support Person" my school hired would lose his job.

- There are only like 200 people.

- Things are more expensive, and you have to have almost everything shipped in.

...I don't know how to decide... I mean, the closest thing I have to a friend I've made since I started High School is a girl that's only said one word to me since last year. It was "Hey!" You know, like the greeting... Man, that's sad... Well, I mean, she was kind of like an "in-class friend" last year, since we talked every day, but only when we were in class. Otherwise, I wouldn't even mention her.

I mean, there are other people that I occasionally talk to in-class, but the only one I actually know, I've known since I was like 4. His mom used to babysit me, you see...

So you see my dilemma. *sigh* I'm not really asking if I should move or not... I'm really more asking both "How should I decide?" and "What would you do if you were in my place?" ...Thank you...

(Note: I posted this same post over at mmorpg.com, but I wanted you guys' responses as well. Oh, and I know I'm pathetic, so please... I don't know, don't be too harsh, ok?...)

Honestly, you need to look at it from your dads point of view as well. He could have more relaxed time, time to be with you, more money for nicer things, and definatly that $1400. However, on the contrary, in effect, you will be out of your comfort zone, you will be in a new area, new town, new people. It will take time getting used to, and it definatly isn't your home town.

The best advice I could give you is to look at it from a very mature point of view. Although you'll be out of your comfort zone, it would better the family. From what it seems, you really aren't enjoying where you live, possibly where you move you'll hit it off with new people, friends, girlfriends, etc.

Could be a new life eh?

However, no broadband internet.

Yeah, I checked it out, and apparently they have DSL out there. I seriously wasn't expecting that... I mean, high speed(Uh... kinda...) internet was one of the things that I wouldn't be without, since I wouldn't be able to play XBox Live without it, and I'm really looking forward to Phantasy Star Universe.

You might think that not having it wouldn't be a big deal, but, I mean... No kind of entertainment out there. They don't even have a move theater! Last time I was out there, there was only one gas station, and it was way out on the edge of town. Which doesn't really make any sense, since you can't actually leave the town in a car...

About the whole "spend more time with your father" thing... We've never really seen eye-to-eye on things, and time won't fix that. I mean, he'll ask me the same question every day for a week... He's even called twice to ask how to spell "guess"! I mean, he's dyslexic(sp?), but still, stuff like that annoys me, so, well... I don't know...

You might be right, though. I mean, since there are so few people, people would likely be less stand off-ish, and arguements wouldn't matter as much. I mean, where ya gonna go?

Ugh... I think I'll need to talk to a couple people. If they say I should go, I'll write up a list of pre-requisites for my father. I mean, there are some things that would need to get done before we could move, and I think my father wouldn't think about them unless I talked to him about it.

He said we probably won't move. I said he should think it over more, since I'm ok with it, that I should be what holds him, and that I've really no big ties here. The worst part, I think, is that my brother wouldn't be moving with us.

My dad would be making roughly $49 more per day, and the housing bill would run $600 a month for an actual house, as there aren't apartments out there, and it would be deductible.(sp?) That's, like, a $7200 deduction,(sp?) which, I'm assuming, is a pretty big one.

One of the issues he has with it is the fact that he'd be a manager, so he'd have a lot more paperwork. As I've said before, he's dyslexic,(sp?) so that's not really a plus for him. That, and the people out there, while nice people, aren't as skilled as the people who worked there back when my dad worked there. When my dad used to work out there, everyone could do their job, weld, and were decent machanics. Out in the bush, that's a pretty big deal... Anyway, the people out there now can do their jobs, but if something breaks, they have to wait for a new one, since they can't fix anything.

Really, all you need to do is just picture it as a window to whole new oppertunities. Something to spice up your life. Put some style back into the daily routine. ect ect ect.

I say go for it!

WatchMaker said:
Really, all you need to do is just picture it as a window to whole new oppertunities. Something to spice up your life. Put some style back into the daily routine. ect ect ect.

I say go for it!

Agreed!!

Back