I need an opinion about Hero's Hall!

How are we doing here at Hero's Hall?

• Excellent, couldn't ask for more!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Great job, could use more content.

• You're an average fansite, needs more improvement

• Below average, re-design of site, and forums.

• Horrible, why am I here?

• Total voters
F

frostydf2

The topic says it all, but I'll go a little bit more in depth. This fansite is for you, the gamers to have a resource that is easily accessed with the least amount of problems as possible.

So let us know over at Heros Hall, how are we doing?! What would you like to see in future updates? What could we do better at? Give me some ideas on how to get more traffic to our website, and more members on the forums.

This fansite is entirely in your hands, I can only make it accessable to you to use.

So tell me, what could we do better?

Honestly when Aries told me about the site I didn't expect it to be nearly this nice. Personally I like the color layout a lot, its very easy on the eyes. So many sites out there have a harsh contrast between there site colors.

Obviously more info on classes and other aspects of the game would be good but since there isn't that much out there I think this the best a Hero's Journey fan site could be.

To get more people on the site/forums I think some kind of exclusive would pull people in. Some tidbit of info no one else has. Doesn’t even have to ground breaking information, just some small thing about the game no other site has.

My opinion might be a little bias, but I think things are off to a great start. I know
once more info is released the site will have it up in no time. I could see myself
comming to this site for up-to-date info about skills, guides, latest patches and the
like. The forums are already pretty busy considering we only have about 30 people.
I personally would rather have 30 active members then 500 inactive ones.

obviously the site is going great. pretty active even thou there isnt a whole lot of members yet. but i bet as soon as more of the content of the game starts comming out then more will come of course.

and i bet we get alot more since you guys have this site up and going, (and doing a great job too!) plus you know MMORPG.com has a link to get to here easily so traffic should pick up.

Originally posted by larkonits@Mar 3 2006, 01:58 PM
obviously the site is going great. pretty active even thou there isnt a whole lot of members yet. but i bet as soon as more of the content of the game starts comming out then more will come of course.

and i bet we get alot more since you guys have this site up and going, (and doing a great job too!) plus you know MMORPG.com has a link to get to here easily so traffic should pick up.
Haha in fact, I've noticed a lot of our traffic actually comes through mmorpg.com. I had them link us, as long in return I linked them back. However, thanks everyone for the comments, and suggestions. I'll be sure to use them in what I do from now on, and if anyone else has anything to say... POST IT! I'll make sure we adjust to things that could be done better!

I'm pretty amazed. When Shadow mentioned your site I thought it was going to look very "kiddy pool," as I expect most fansites to look like.

You've put together an attractive and functional website and I'm very surprised the forums are getting the traffic that they are.

Originally posted by Atlas@Mar 2 2006, 10:39 PM
Honestly when Aries told me about the site I didn't expect it to be nearly this nice. Personally I like the color layout a lot, its very easy on the eyes. So many sites out there have a harsh contrast between there site colors.

I agree wholeheartedly. This is a very pleasing site. color scheme is excellent. The link from MMORPG was a great idea (thats how I found you).

I like the site, obviously there isnt as much HJ info known so the site doesnt have alot of content at the moment but that will only grow with time once they release more info :D

the forums are the thing that attracts me to the site most. official ones are hard and timewasting to navigate and this is just right.

The format of the front page is great, nothing missing and its not too cluttered.

keep up the good work :smiley:

Originally posted by Valo@Mar 5 2006, 10:35 AM
I like the site, obviously there isnt as much HJ info known so the site doesnt have alot of content at the moment but that will only grow with time once they release more info :D

the forums are the thing that attracts me to the site most. official ones are hard and timewasting to navigate and this is just right.

The format of the front page is great, nothing missing and its not too cluttered.

keep up the good work :smiley:
Thanks for the compliments Valo. I really am trying to make this the un-official official HJ fansite. So thats why we are trying to offer everything with as much ease as possible. Easy on the eye stuff, great content, a fun community, and lots of people!

I think it might help HJ a bit if you posted some links that the official site doesn't have yet.. (I don't know what they're doing, but I know they're really busy with things)

Here, I'll get examples:

RPG Vault -The HJ official site has up to 14, but maybe you could put a link up for 15, 16, and 17.. that way it's easy access for everyone who doesn't want to look it all up..

MMORPG -The HJ site has up to Q&A #13, so maybe a link to 14 & 15, and the Dev Journals could go up?

(or even all of the links if you really wanted, but I doubt it's necessary)

It would be nice anyway, it would help those who are new to HJ find more information easier.

Just a thought.

Originally posted by HJ-Diviana@Mar 5 2006, 10:08 PM
I think it might help HJ a bit if you posted some links that the official site doesn't have yet.. (I don't know what they're doing, but I know they're really busy with things)

Here, I'll get examples:

RPG Vault -The HJ official site has up to 14, but maybe you could put a link up for 15, 16, and 17.. that way it's easy access for everyone who doesn't want to look it all up..

MMORPG -The HJ site has up to Q&A #13, so maybe a link to 14 & 15, and the Dev Journals could go up?

(or even all of the links if you really wanted, but I doubt it's necessary)

It would be nice anyway, it would help those who are new to HJ find more information easier.

Just a thought.
Great idea Diviana. I'll work on that tommorow on making the pages that has the interviews. I'll just do them all, it shouldn't be too tough.

Thanks again!

I think you're doing an excellent job. You guys constanly update within 6 hours of new content released and you try to keep me on track in the forums when I just start babbling about nothing, although your feeble attempts are all in vain.....sadly.. :(

Keep up the EXCELLENT work.

I like the site a lot! :lol:

The main reason I'm here on your forums is because the official HJ forums are underpopulated and a pain in the butt! :lol: The fact that some of the GMs post here makes it even better (the more you post the better!).

Just keep all the info you find about the game posted on the main page and I'll be perfectly content.

About getting more visitors.. Well, from what I've noticed not many people seem to know about HJ yet. Everyone is stuck on Vanguard, WoW, and the other super hyped games. I think as the game gets closer to release and more people get interested you'll start to see people funnel in here.

This isn't so much a suggestion for improvement, just something I've been curious about. You guys have been really prompt about getting all up to date screenshots/videos/interviews. However...it occurs to me that other sites probably want to drive traffic to their sites, and thus they would prefer you not take exclusive screenshots/interviews and, err, make them not-so-exclusive. That is, they would prefer that you would link to the content on their site as well as giving them credit.

Personally, if you have a news item that links to another site, I'm just as happy to come here as if you actually put that information locally. Yes, I might go to the other site to read it, but I'll always come back here becuase I know you'll tell me where to find it. :smiley:

In any case, maybe you've already talked about this with the other sites and they don't care one way or another. But I wanted to bring it up because it surprised me to see it here. I've seen fan sites have cat fights over such things in the past.

I have to say your site is amazing not only cosmeticly but also in the content.

It makes it easy for people still learning the game to find out the info
quickly since hj isn't getting quite the hype it deserves the info that comes
out it quite less than in some other titles slated for the same launch day.

But anyway very nice work, all your hard work is quite apparent

Originally posted by Foxeye@May 19 2006, 10:57 PM
This isn't so much a suggestion for improvement, just something I've been curious about. You guys have been really prompt about getting all up to date screenshots/videos/interviews. However...it occurs to me that other sites probably want to drive traffic to their sites, and thus they would prefer you not take exclusive screenshots/interviews and, err, make them not-so-exclusive. That is, they would prefer that you would link to the content on their site as well as giving them credit.

Personally, if you have a news item that links to another site, I'm just as happy to come here as if you actually put that information locally. Yes, I might go to the other site to read it, but I'll always come back here becuase I know you'll tell me where to find it. :smiley:

In any case, maybe you've already talked about this with the other sites and they don't care one way or another. But I wanted to bring it up because it surprised me to see it here. I've seen fan sites have cat fights over such things in the past.
I've been poking Frosty about this personally ;)

In most articles I repost, I have a link back to the original site and article with the date & credits to the writer(s). You are correct, people like to have traffic both ways, and be given proper credit.

~ Jaraeth

Originally posted by Foxeye@May 20 2006, 05:57 AM

I understand what you are coming from, but nothing is really 'exclusive' in the world of internet. You can't really have an exclusive screenshot unless you make it a private screenshot that only a few people could view. However, when posted online it's basically fair game in my eyes to post it on yours.

We are however, changing the way we work. We will be giving credit to those sites, but we will still host their content on Hero's Hall. IGN.com, and MMORPG.com have both given us permission to host every single one of their articles as long as we note that it is from MMORPG.com, or IGN.com. So don't worry too much about it :smiley:

Great site I also found you from MMORPG.com. I come here for all the News, Screenshots, and anything else hero's journey. I may not post much but, i'm here almost everyday!

Keep up the good work! :D

Originally posted by frostydf2@May 20 2006, 03:51 PM
I understand what you are coming from, but nothing is really 'exclusive' in the world of internet. You can't really have an exclusive screenshot unless you make it a private screenshot that only a few people could view. However, when posted online it's basically fair game in my eyes to post it on yours.

Umm.... Frosty.... I love you really, I dig your website, but you could not be more wrong.

Here is a link of a basic overview of Intellectual Property principles as they apply to website content: Don't steal website content if you don't wanna be e-spanked

That is a british website, but I assure you that those are generic princiles, and if you don't feel like taking my word for it, pm me and I will hook you up with links to relevant (if not as concise) US materials. Intellectual property rights are recognised and protected in all of the civilised world.

But thass all just legal mumbo-jumbo.

Another thing you have to appreciate is that what we are trying to do here is build a community for the game we all plan to love. To foster such a community one must encourage websites to create additional places for people to hang and shoot the breeze about the game. Linking to websites rather than stealing their content will encourage people to go there and maybe they will like what they see, and hang around there.

I appreciate that you are trying to build the bestest most complete and shiny website for Hero's Journey *ever*, and who knows mebbe you might tempt me away from Stratics one of these days. But a man alone is just a man, and a single website does not a stable community make.

Community-building is the *reason* why Simultronics issue exclusive screenshots and such.

So moral of the story in nice, simple bullet points:

I - I agree with foxeye completely.
II - *Always* link rather than take when it says "exclusive".
III - *Ask* if you want to copy something they have and you don't (yet).

Hell, if you are polite to the dudes who run the other websites, you might get to know people you can enjoy playing with in-game.

Oh yeah, as far as your actual question (I am putting this in a separate post to have two clear messages): I voted that heroshall is A+ because I am quite frankly amazed to see this strong a community building up with about a year (or more) to go to game release.

You have all the information, you have some very dedicated forum members, and you are one poll away from having Daax as a designated forum mascot.

Not much more one could really ask for.