Sci-Fi I Origins (2014)

Alien Soup

Head Chef
Fox Searchlight has debuted the trailer to Mike Cahill‘s provocative sci-fi romance feature, I Origins. Just as his first film, Another Earth, did three years ago, I Origins took home the Alfred P. Sloan Feature Film Prize at this year’s Sundance Film Festival, an award that is bestowed to a film that focuses on science or technology as a theme or depicts a scientist, mathematician or engineer as a major character.

Fitting the latter part of that description in I Origins is molecular biologist Dr. Ian Gray (Boardwalk Empire‘s Michael Pitt), who is pursuing his Ph.D. in eye evolution with med student Karen (Brit Marling) as his lab assistant. While Karen is set on giving non-seeing organisms (i.e. worms) a pair of eyes, Dr. Gray only has eyes for Sofi (Astrid Berges-Frisbey), a mysterious beauty who captivates his life. Years later, after her departure, Karen and Dr. Gray make a discovery that jolts their world, sending them to India to validate their theory. Archie Panjabi (The Good Wife) and Steven Yeun (The Walking Dead) also star. Searchlight, which also distributed Another Earth, acquired worldwide rights on I Origins at Sundance for about $3 million.

I Origins is scheduled to be released July 18, 2014.