Sci-Fi I, Robot (2004)

Good movie. It didn't make many movie mistakes and there weren't any gaping plot holes. I did like some of the twists in the movie. Also, I was fascinated with the CGI robots. Very well done.

I went to see the movie I Robot yesterday. It was much better than I expected. (y)

The robots are made a giant monopoly called US Robotics run by Bruce Greenwood - how did USR manage such free advertising??!! :blink: Will Smith likes wearing "old fashioned" Converse hightops. His hovercar has an Audi 4 ring logo. These were subtle product placements compared to US Robotics!

I see that it was filmed in Vancouver.

I was wondering what the final scene meant (that was like the drawing that Sonny made)? Sonny said the lone figure was Will Smith's character in the dream.

Converse hightops. His hovercar has an Audi 4 ring logo. These were subtle product placements compared to US Robotics!

hohoho good call....

I went to see this movie the other day, right after I saw Eternal Sunshine (4 straight hours in sitting in the cinema, hoho lazy!) and I really enjoyed it...I mean I was expecting some mediorce action film but was supirsed by it...definatly worth seeing....

the movie was okay, not as good as Spider-Man 2, but it was okay, if your undecided between Cinderella Story and I,Robot, go with I,Robot. :lol:

I searched the movies section for "I, robot" but didn't find anything, if there's a thread post it here PLZ. I just want to know what everyone thought of the movie. I think it had great storyline and very good special effects. Also Sonny was so cool :D

I saw this movie in like, August, I think. It was a good movie though and it comes out on dvd in December here. But I loved Will Smith in this movie (surprisingly) because I usually don't like him in any movies. I guess this movie was an exception.

I thought that it was OK. There was so much hype for it and it didn't really fufill my expectations. Maybe it was just me, or did it feel like there was barely ANY action, except for the ending?

Overall, the CGI was AMAZING, the story and action were OK, the acting was alright as well.

Film: I, Robot (2004)

It's more than four decades since I read Asimov's robot stories and I have forgotten everything about them (except for the three laws of robotics, of course). So I approached this film with an open mind and no expectations; probably just as well, since I noted the comment afterwards that I, Robot was "inspired by" Asimov's stories, rather than directly based on them.

The film is set in Chicago in 2035, with large numbers of humanoid robots being used throughout society. They are all produced by U.S. Robotics (USR) which also maintains a supercomputer (VIKI: Virtual Interactive Kinetic Intelligence) which is able to communicate with, and change the programming of, the latest and most sophisticated generation of robots, designated NS-5. There is no public concern over the robots as their behaviour is governed by the three laws of robotics: that robots must not harm a human being; that robots must obey humans unless this conflicts with the first law; and that robots must preserve themselves unless this conflicts with the first two laws.

Del Spooner (Will Smith) is a detective with a deep mistrust of robots due to an accident which almost cost him his life. He is called to the apparent suicide of Alfred Lanning, the chief scientist of USR and the man who had restored Spooner using prosthetics. Lanning had left behind a trail of clues concerning his death in the form of appearances via a holographic projector. Spooner investigates his death with the reluctant assistance of Dr Susan Calvin, a "robopsychologist" working for USR (Bridget Moynahan), and he soon suspects one of the new NS-5 robots found at the scene. This robot, which calls itself Sonny, exhibits unexpectedly human characteristics, including emotions, and Calvin discovers that it has an additional brain making it possible for the robot to override the three laws.

Meanwhile, Spooner finds himself under threat from various types of USR robots, being attacked several times. His suspicions focus on the CEO of USR, who tries to thwart his investigations for fear that they would interfere with the planned major roll-out of NS-5 robots. The pace ramps up as Spooner and Calvin try to stop impending disaster.

This is principally an action movie but it also raises what will become genuine issues concerning the relationships between humanity and artificial intelligences as computers increase in sophistication. As such, it is more realistic than most SF films as the basic premise that such sophisticated AIs might exist by 2035 seems not impossible, given current progress. It isn't one of the great SF films (the plot is too routine for that) but is better than most, despite a rather puzzling and apparently inconsistent ending. Overall, a good thriller with Smith and Moynahan putting in effective performances.

(This entry is cross-posted from my science-fiction & fantasy blog.)

Tony,

What was your take on the ending of the film, of Sonny freeing the other NS-5 robots? Though VIKI was eliminated I took the final scene as a bit of foreshadowing that the robot rebellion, that Lanning gave up his life willingly in order to avoid, is likely to happen anyway in some form.

SigS1282.jpg

I didn't like the movie, it just didn't keep my interest.

When I first heard that Mr Asimov's novel was being made into a movie, I was hoping for an anthology film with short stories taken from the book.​

Tony,

What was your take on the ending of the film, of Sonny freeing the other NS-5 robots? Though VIKI was eliminated I took the final scene as a bit of foreshadowing that the robot rebellion, that Lanning gave up his life willingly in order to avoid, is likely to happen anyway in some form.

That's the bit that I found puzzling and inconsistent. As far as I could tell from the film, only Sonny had the extra brain which allowed him to bypass the Three Laws. With VIKI gone, the other NS-5s should therefore have reverted to obeying the Laws, which meant they should have obeyed their instructions and gone back into storage instead of stopping to watch Sonny.

When I first heard that Mr Asimov's novel was being made into a movie, I was hoping for an anthology film with short stories taken from the book.

Apparently, the first drafts of the film script weren't based on Asimov's stories at all. It was only later that they decided to incorporate some aspects of Asimov's work (presumably including the title). The introduction to the film says only that it was inspired by Asimov's work, or words to that effect. No-one was pretending that it was supposed to be a movie adaptation of Asimov's stories.