Season 3 I WANT TO KILL HER!

ok, I tried to like her, but somewhere between her mini-syd-bashing to vaughn, her eyebrows, her accent, her interuptions, her marriage to vaughn, her kissing vaughn right in front of syd, and her having zero chemistry with vaughn, I gave up! :angry: I HATE HER!!!!

On behalf of the Australians here - what's wrong with an Australian accent? There is a world outside of America you know!
Alias screens in a lot of countries.

Nothings wrong with Australian accents, it's just that the character Lauren Reed brings out the worst in us because she took Vaughn when he belongs with Syd. It has nothing to do with Australia. I thought it was wierd that her parents live in Virginia and she has an accent. Did they move and then her dad became a senator and then she joined the NSC?

it's not the australian accent itself, it's just the way it pops in and out and just seems really inconsistent and out of place. like you said, if her father is a senator from virginia, then why does she have an australian accent? yes, her mother could be from australia, but then it just starts getting complicated. i don't care about her character that much to think about it in more depth. ;)

basically, i just think the accent is extremely distracting.

Boston Scientist said:
I used to think Sydney was so cool because she was focused, determined, and persistent. It's hard to watch her fall apart slowly. She's losing it, and I've gone from feeling sorry for her to thinking her situation is just pathetic. C'mon JJ, cut Syd some slack already.
But she's also human and they need to show that, too. She's under enormous stress. C'mon, we've seen her "lose it" with her father before--behaving totally immaturely and unprofessionally. It's not like this isn't totally in character. It's a little hard to see, but it's real--and it's brief. She pulled out of it a lot better than Lauren did, didn't she?
;)

crazy spinster said:
it's not the australian accent itself, it's just the way it pops in and out and just seems really inconsistent and out of place. like you said, if her father is a senator from virginia, then why does she have an australian accent? yes, her mother could be from australia, but then it just starts getting complicated. i don't care about her character that much to think about it in more depth. ;)

basically, i just think the accent is extremely distracting.
Maybe we will be given a reason for the accent later on. I know people who have lived in more than one country, and sometimes they sound American, sometimes Australian.
It's not because MG is a bad actress, as was suggested. She was told to use the accent she is using, and that's down to JJ. I don't think we know enough about her character to judge.

Natalia said:
Maybe we will be given a reason for the accent later on. I know people who have lived in more than one country, and sometimes they sound American, sometimes Australian.
They need to give a logical reason for the accent and the sooner the better--because it just doesn't make sense for the daughter of a US senator to have that accent under ordinary circumstances. I understand that Lauren was supposedly educated in England, but that's just something I read somewhere, not something that was revealed on Alias.
;)

It is a good point they should have covered Lauren’s background enough to explain the accent instead of leaving all confused.

According to Alias Magazine Lauren was raised in the UK. MG can talk without an accent so the accent is JJ’s idea.

Normal to hate her if you loved Sydney and Vaughn. Even as a MG fan it took me a few viewing and so objective studying of MG’s expressions before I really enjoyed her performance. I must have had more bias against the character than I thought at first. It is fascinating how the subconscious can change your view of someone without you realizing it. I think that if you keep a open mind Lauren will grow on you. Of course this episode Lauren does not know Sydney well so of course both are insecure about the situation.

KateJones47 said:
ok, I tried to like her, but somewhere between her mini-syd-bashing to vaughn, her eyebrows, her accent, her interuptions, her marriage to vaughn, her kissing vaughn right in front of syd, and her having zero chemistry with vaughn, I gave up! :angry: I HATE HER!!!!
Thats exactly how i feel! i have nothin against MG but i really dont like Lauren, n the way she kept givin Vaughn looks she can so see that he still luvs her!

Maybe the good Senator served as ambassador to Britain or something. (Wow, I'm featured . . . ^_^ )
;)

I've tried to be very objective about MG's character being introduced to the show, but Lauren Reed is making it veerrryyy difficult. She's really trying my patience, truly. When she told vaughn, "I hate her!" after that first meeting, I thought to myself calmly, "Yes. Thank You for saying that, Lauren. Now nothing stands between me and utterly violent flaming hatred for your character." It was very liberating.
And now the scenes with Vaughn and Syd just feel so weird. I wouldn't call it "tension" either, not like the first season, because it's not that kind of tension. As Marshall so wisely put it, it's just "awkward." It bothers me to hear him tell Lauren how much he loves her, then give Syd one of those meaningful, silent glances. It bothers me that after Syd's death he became insane with grief, like, literally INSANE, and yet, a few months later he was defending Lauren's cleavage at some dopey ball. (And oh btw, yeah, GREAT third date, Vaughn. Whatever. Vaughn and Sydney used to play hockey and go to hockey games and eat ice cream, but like I said, WHATEVER.)
I just wish Lauren would go far, far away and pluck her brows for the rest of her life.

I dunno, I'm still willing to giver her a second chance. I mean, sure I was POed when she said that, but if you were in her position, wouldn't you do the same? I mean Sydney even admitted that she was being rude to Lauren, so Lauren was trying to defend herself. I know that I don't like her as much as I should, but I don't like to be prejudgemental. Also, the Vaughn moments are a bit awkward (that's going to be overused), because of how in love he was with her before. I mean, he would literally do anything for Syd before, and now he's still the same. I think he's just telling himself that he's moved on and that he's happy, because in his heart he knows that he's not happy and he longs to touch her and hold her like he used to. That's what I think at least.

*theoneandonly*
iLoVeAgEnTvAuGhN

verdantheart said:
Boston Scientist said:
I used to think Sydney was so cool because she was focused, determined, and persistent.  It's hard to watch her fall apart slowly.  She's losing it, and I've gone from feeling sorry for her to thinking her situation is just pathetic.  C'mon JJ, cut Syd some slack already.
But she's also human and they need to show that, too. She's under enormous stress. C'mon, we've seen her "lose it" with her father before--behaving totally immaturely and unprofessionally. It's not like this isn't totally in character. It's a little hard to see, but it's real--and it's brief. She pulled out of it a lot better than Lauren did, didn't she?
;)
Verdantheart, I agreee with you completely. Besides, Sydney was passionate about the subject at hand because she actually had to go through it. Luaren didn't. Syd is human and I am sure all of us have reacted this way in some points of our lives. Sydney was telling them what she thought and Lauren was interrupting her and acting condescending. I would have reacted the same way as Syd. Also, Boston Scientist, if Syd was always "focused, determined, and persistant" she would seem more like a one dimensional character and we would all know what to expect from her at all times. That would not be any fun to watch.

Back