I want to make a SCI FI movie, any advice?

7HEUSEDB3RTH

Part Member, Part Machine
I am making a movie, if you havn't read it yet (and I bet you havn't ;)), I want to know any advice on shooting. Any other home made Sci Fi's out there?

All depends on your budget and ambitions.

You could shoot on low-end digital with the intentions of making a proof of concept type clip or step up into the prosumer range with the Red line of digital cameras.

If just shooting for personal enjoyment, todays technology in consumer digital cameras coupled with free software tools available on Windows & Mac allows for some really wild clips.

A ball with spikes like a Christmas tree ornament. The spikes so it could easily dock with transport, re-supply, shuttles for atmosphere & space, and other ships.
The ball so propulsion could be applied in any direction, as well as retro-rockets, and maneuvering thrusters for gravity and direction.
Other than a Borg type cube, probably the best all around design I can think of.
As far as looks, it would be cheap and look like a Christmas ornament.
I you're going for the dazzle, add wings, (or four), a tail plane (or four), outcropping engines and weapons.
Almost any disc, or cylinder, or two or three off set, reversed, or 90 degree askew model jet planes will do. Cut them in half and glue them back together like a "push me-Pull you.
The sky (space) is the limit.

A ball with spikes like a Christmas tree ornament. The spikes so it could easily dock with transport, re-supply, shuttles for atmosphere & space, and other ships.
The ball so propulsion could be applied in any direction, as well as retro-rockets, and maneuvering thrusters for gravity and direction.
Other than a Borg type cube, probably the best all around design I can think of.
As far as looks, it would be cheap and look like a Christmas ornament.
I you're going for the dazzle, add wings, (or four), a tail plane (or four), outcropping engines and weapons.
Almost any disc, or cylinder, or two or three off set, reversed, or 90 degree askew model jet planes will do. Cut them in half and glue them back together like a "push me-Pull you.
The sky (space) is the limit.
Some good tips.

One of my favorite stories of special effects is how some of the shuttles for ST:TNG used Gillette Mach3 razor handles for the shuttle nacelles. Just goes to show that with a little imagination basic items around the house can be used to create that "movie magic" on a budget.

Back