I wrote a Sci-Fi Book as a hobby, but it just got 100 reviews and was in Amazon's top 5

I won't post a link because I'm new here, and think it's probably a no-no. When I wrote Black Book, it was just for me but there's no greater feeling than having Sci-Fi fans reading and actually enjoying something I wrote and feeling strongly enough about it to leave a review. Their kindness and enthusiasm took the book to No. 4 overall on Amazon as well as No. 1 in the Sci-Fi and Western charts. It also received some great editorial reviews including Best Independently Published Book award by The New Podler Review. I guess I'll be writing about Sheriff Jack and his quest for the Black Book again soon. :smiley:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    299.1 KB · Views: 67
I pinned it for ya RDJ. I did a search on just Black Book and many meadia hits came up but not your book.
As a hobby when I write, mine are ususally just short quips. I think its great that you decided to stick with it and publish.
Do you think you could turn your hobby into something more?
I think most of the great writers start out writing as a hobby then, with success, turn it into a profession.
Do you have more of the same in you?
Before publishing and feeling that you had a marketable story. Were you plagued with any type of Writer's Block?
See, as a hobby, I can't see how someone can get serious writer's block. I have the impression that writer's block comes from the pressure of writing for a deadline or someone's request. I really would like to know.
I'm sure when Kevin sees your topic he will chime in and tell you your self-promotion is welcomed. I think I read something like that in a earlier topic. It's not my place to say yes/no.
CoolSciFi has lots of things to interest writers and genre fans. I recommend reading and participating with the community. If nothing else you can find some great ideas here.
You might also want to consider doing an introduction post so we can all welcome you into the community officially. For now, Hi, I'm Tom, Nice to meet ya RDJ! LOL

I pinned it for ya RDJ. I did a search on just Black Book and many meadia hits came up but not your book.
As a hobby when I write, mine are ususally just short quips. I think its great that you decided to stick with it and publish.
Do you think you could turn your hobby into something more?
I think most of the great writers start out writing as a hobby then, with success, turn it into a profession.
Do you have more of the same in you?
Before publishing and feeling that you had a marketable story. Were you plagued with any type of Writer's Block?
See, as a hobby, I can't see how someone can get serious writer's block. I have the impression that writer's block comes from the pressure of writing for a deadline or someone's request. I really would like to know.
I'm sure when Kevin sees your topic he will chime in and tell you your self-promotion is welcomed. I think I read something like that in a earlier topic. It's not my place to say yes/no.
CoolSciFi has lots of things to interest writers and genre fans. I recommend reading and participating with the community. If nothing else you can find some great ideas here.
You might also want to consider doing an introduction post so we can all welcome you into the community officially. For now, Hi, I'm Tom, Nice to meet ya RDJ! LOL

Well this is new - a friendly forum that makes the writer feel welcome. Thanks Tom! Good to meet you. If a link is allowed I hope it gives your readers enough time to sample the book for the Kindle Countdown price. It's on at $0.99 (down from $3.40) until the 21/09/14.

I'll definitely stick around and take my time to read through the posts here and contribute wherever I can. As for your question, I would love to write full time, but I'm just happy that my book is being read and appreciated until that happens ;) And writer's block happens (for me anyway) only when I try to force it. Without that pressure you're right, there's nothing stopping it! :smiley:

Catch you soon, over and out!

@RealDylanJones, welcome to the forums! If you browse through the Books forum here you'll come across other authors as well, some first time authors, some with several titles under the belt, some self published, some through traditional publishers... we like hearing from everybody.

I won't post a link because I'm new here, and think it's probably a no-no
Feel free to the post the link. :smiley: The general rule-of-thumb is that if an author joins our community and is genuinely interested in interacting with others then there is no reason why they shouldn't be able to post a link to their works.

21/09/14.
I spot a non-US visitor. :P What part of the world do you hail from?

I'm sure when Kevin sees your topic he will chime in and tell you your self-promotion is welcomed.
Tom recognizes my pattern... I might be quiet at times, especially when I'm tied up at work or home, but I'm usually watching to make sure everything is running as expected. :D

Feel free to the post the link. :smiley: The general rule-of-thumb is that if an author joins our community and is genuinely interested in interacting with others then there is no reason why they shouldn't be able to post a link to their works.
A rule I've always loved, myself, since a sci-fi forum is where you're going to find a lot of sci-fi fans that would be interested in the books we write.

And on the flip side, you notice really quick when people do drive-by linking without actually interacting...and can respond accordingly when that happens.

Welcome to the forums, RealDylanJones!

Thanks, I just picked up a copy for the Kindle. I actually prefer physical books but I have an android tablet that I have been trying to get into the habit of using more for Kindle-only books like this.
I still haven't broken down and gotten a Kindle or a Kindle app loaded...which is weird, since I just went in and changed two titles over to KDP Select (Kindle-only). But I'm a stubborn cuss, and I have my Nook Simple Touch, and until the thing dies completely, I just don't want to change.

As a hobby writer turned full time writer, I deal with writers block by skipping ahead in the story. Later I can go back to it and usually it's obvious how to connect the story. I have been doing it this way since I started writing. :smiley:
When I wrote Black Book, it was just for me but there's no greater feeling than having Sci-Fi fans reading and actually enjoying something I wrote and feeling strongly enough about it to leave a review.
Welcome! Good to hear about your success! Hope to hear more from you.

As a hobby writer turned full time writer, I deal with writers block by skipping ahead in the story. Later I can go back to it and usually it's obvious how to connect the story.
It never really occurred to me to write the segments and fill in the gaps. Most of my small amateur excursions into composing stories are very short segments of an idea that loses its continuity. When I lose my mental image I stop the story and call it done. You can see what I mean in the ones I have shared like The Qwine, Lasilicks and so on. I stop because I have no inspiration to continue the story to its completion. I get lost at what to write 'in-between' and give up on it.
Another thing I have problems with is the Hidden Meaning/Hidden Agenda that seems to be a requirement of Science Fiction. I can't seem to write in an analogy of current events or memes. Like Star Trek was about current issues and racial tensions and Star Wars was analogous to the Nazis.
I've written Tech Manuals for the company I worked for. Written training lectures and a ton of 'How-To' bulletins.
I think that's why my stories read like a description more than a story. I have the story in my heart but not sure how to make it linear. Perhaps I will revisit a few of my 'stories' and throw some segments in. Thanx for the inspiration!

Another thing I have problems with is the Hidden Meaning/Hidden Agenda that seems to be a requirement of Science Fiction.
Not everything needs to have a hidden meaning. Just like with movies & TV shows, there are books, particularly action oriented books, that make for an enjoyable read that don't have some deeper story to be told.

The Web-World is so huge now that I feel linking is a way of exploring what's out there. I have always been one to share links. But then, I share a lot in the real-world too. Linking is a good thing to me, but like any good thing - too much can also be a bad thing.
Another thing that people tend to get miffed about is Copy & Paste. I personally have no problem with it. To me its a form of sharing. The Webs are so jam packed full of great material that has already been written or expressed it would be a waste of time to attempt to describe something that has already been done perfectly. One thing I usually try to do is provide a link back to the source tho.
In my earlier days I was a bit put-off by the rudeness of other people. At this time in my life I just dont care what others think of me so I have started becoming more opinionated. Still respectful of others, I've learned to express myself a bit more in my posts.
You're probably asking yourself "What has this got to do with RDJ's book?"

Well, I will link to something that I enjoy so that others may find it and enjoy it also.
I will copy & paste something to show the amazingness to others so they might be interested in finding out more about it.
Me linking & copying RDJ's book info to other sites helps promote its existence to those that read my comments. A bit of free advertising and Word-Of-Mouth can't hurt anyone's prospects.
Have I actually Read the Book? No. Then why do this?
Because I find RDJ interesting as a person and his accomplishment inspiring. He is a fellow CoolSciFi friend and if for no other reason, THAT deserves my support. He is not the first and will not be the last one to garner my support.

Back