If You Could Do Any One Thing & Succeed?

Tom

An Old Friend
If you could do any one thing and succeed what would it be?

I would harness Planck Energy.
or
I would Control Gravity.
or
I would create an Instantaneos Matter Transportation System with Unlimited Range.

Figure out a way to make a Star Wars light saber for real. I can visualize the workings of it, just need some science to catch up now.

What would world peace accomplish?
I'm wondering if world understanding would be a bit better than world peace.
Just because the fighting ends there will still be issues with bigotry, religion and societies.
World understanding would allow everyone to accept other's philosophies which would in turn create a world of peace.

should have said
Don't get my reply wrong, I wasn't judging your opinion I was expanding upon it.
To me everyone's comments are just as valid as my own. I appreciate your participation in a thread I created to create discussion.

And thank you for creating this thread! I was only slightly jilted when you asked "What would world peace accomplish?" ...
If I'd have gone for a sci-fi theme like "To create nanobots that monitor our body systems and the health of or mitochondria. They would also inject bee venom directly into cancer cells if needed..." the responses would have been different.
Maybe in an alternate universe it happened that way! We can pretend we're living in that alternate universe right now. :smiley:

If I'd have gone for a sci-fi theme like ...
Maybe, but we talk about more than just sci-fi stuff around here so I don't think that is what prompted Tom's response.

Going back to the world peace/co-existence idea, what level of peace/co-existence would you be going for? Even if all warfare in the world immediately stopped I still think there'd be plenty of conflict and power grabbing going on, just not violent.

Haha, I shouldn't have suggested anything about "world peace" or "coexistence"... It really wasn't the best subject to bring up in this light hearted conversation.

I suppose I would go with this level of peace and co-existence: people would help each other when they needed help and leave each other alone when they needed privacy.

Maybe I'm wrong but I think peace is achieved by freedom, and it must start locally and with a sound currency.

No taxes, only freedom... responsible freedom though, well learned freedom, educated and reasonable freedom. Not exploitation freedom.
Maybe I'm wrong, but it is a responsibility to build roads. When roads need to be built, it's a matter of communicating the importance of such roads to the community that would use it most. Relying on a large national system to lay roads leads to large amounts of waste at the cost of the rest of us. Exploitation.
Maybe I'm wrong but it is a responsibility to keep our water, land and air clean. Relying on a large national system to cherry pick through whatever they find is the most dangerous leads to large amounts of cost waste.
It can easily be the community/city/state. The same could be said about education and healthcare. Both responsibilities that we have to provide... if it was provided locally, it would reduce cost waste. We could still have a form of currency (bitcoins!) but it would be a sound source, not one that could be printed out of thin air...

Anyway... I get most of my ideas of peace from Gary Johnson and Ron Paul.

We could still have a form of currency (bitcoins!) but it would be a sound source, not one that could be printed out of thin air.

My thoughts on money, currency and bartering are that it is an outdated method of controlling power and influence. We (humans) are at a threshold of industry and invention that makes our current value system unuseable. The projects and exploration we are about to embark upon would cost billions if not trillions of dollars. So instead of moving forward into a Type 1 civilization we mess around debating the cost effectiveness and do nothing because of the cost prohibitiveness.
Why must there be a need to assign a value to something if it is to serve all mankind? Greed has a lot to do with it. But if you think about it. If everything were free, I mean really free, what advances would we make in science, arts, humanities, health? Yes, some people would try to be lazy. Not do their part but I believe most everyone would keep busy doing the things they enjoy. It might be more realistic than we would like to admit. I'm not refering to Communism where the powers that be control everything. I am thinking more of an individualism, where each person contributes and shares in the advances all over the world.

Humans used to hunt and gather/forage for food. Money came along and people right beside one another can now starve to death. Money is stagnating our ability to grow as a species. It's outdated and restrictive.

I also know we could not go from our present system to a totally free economy. It would need to be done in segments. Like the stuff needed for life should come first. Then, perhaps utilities. All the while having the cost of other items go down at a steady rate.

I guess I should start a topic to delve deeper into this. Might be worthy of a discussion.
Let me think on it or one of you can take the reigns on a topic. I will participate...

I may be wrong but I believe that people can govern themselves.
I don't believe that a small number of people can govern three hundred million people.
or
I may be wrong but I believe that it's a myth that common people aren't smart enough to rule themselves but they are smart enough to choose someone to rule them.

I would like to develop a cheap long-term large-scale energy source. Civilisation today MUST have huge amounts of relatively cheap energy to function.
a variant; develop a bacterium that can safely convert radioactive waste/material into something stable and harmless.
(Godzilla theory; he was genetically engineered by a hi-tech antedeluvian society to consume and neutralize nuclear material)

Back