If you could have anything in a game...

F

frostydf2

Lets start off with something that may actually help out the developers. If you could have any one feature in a game, what would it be?

For me, I would want a territorial PvP conquest where you can actually raze cities, farmlands, and kingdoms!

What about you?

I'd like an immersive world where actions have effects. Thats a tall order, with as many players with differing views play MMOs

And, not to hijack your thread, but I had some questions about your desire.

Would razed towns come back automatically?

If a faction had their kingdom razed would the faction be eliminated?

I wonder how this would work. When I talk to my friends about HJ, all of them are the most interested in the gear faction, as it's something not commonly seen. WoW tried with engineering and gnomes, but didn't do a good job of it.

So, drawing rash conclusions from this small test group:

Let us say on opening player populations will be split up thus: 50% gear, 30% arcanum, 20% nature. Wouldn't it therefore be very easy for the gear faction to crush the opposition early on and raze all their cities?

By continuing to harrow them and prevent the rebuilding of anything, wouldn't it also make the citieless factions nearly helpless in any attempt to build up a power base to challenge the dominate faction?

Even if the population distribution turns out fairly equal amongst the factions, I'm assuming the means of rapid transport to a town (if any) is destroyed in the razeing, once a faction gains an upperhand, it seems the power will continue to shift their way exponentially.

It shifts the game to where you basically need to spend your time defending the borders constantly. And a smart player will arrange it so everyone in their guild takes a sick day on, say, wednesday. They go to bed early on Tuesday, all wake up at 2:30 AM when the game population is low, and proceed to burn a faction to the ground during the off peak hours.

I'm not saying a system couldn't work, just curious as to your ideas on how it would work

If I could have any one feature it would have to be a complicated death system
that involved more then just clicking the re-spawn button.

A better death system would be quite good at first, but i think it would get repetative after a while :smiley:

It would be cool if you could play the game in some form as dead. Like special ghost quests. In WoW you could only start a quest by talking to a ghost. It would be nice to see something a little more advanced than that ingame.

Well I'm looking for a totaly new aproach to the death system, and I'm looking for
it to be fun and exciting. Is that asking too much? I don't thinks so.

No, unfortunately I haven't played any of Simutronics' other games, but if you say
the death systems are handled uniquely then I'm glad they are the ones making HJ.

A pvp environment where you control the scenerio (mabye some kind of arena for implementation's sake). Whether it's 1v1, 3v3, or 20v20 - whatever your preference. You can select from different maps and even control the end-goal of your particular fight (CTF, FFA, w/e). This isn't, by any means, a new idea, but nobody has incorporated it into MMOG's (they've come close, but never really went the distance), yet it is one of the main reasons people still love FPS and RTF's. It keeps it interesting and ensures the odds are never in someone else's favor.

Open pvp and sieging has its place, but it's been done before so many times and quite frankly... it doesn't work. The best example I can come up with is DAoC. It mixes open pvp with castle and tower sieging with faction vs faction (RvR in the case of DAoC, Realm vs Realm), and while it's enjoyable at first, it quickly turns sour if you are unable to fufill the obligations of the "in-croud" in order to be apart of it. By that I mean 8v8 - let me explain.

8v8 was never really intended to be the core premise of rvr but ultimately in such an environment, the players choose how things are run. Technically, you can pvp in DAoC's RvR (faction vs faction) however the hell you want. You can solo, duo, trio, join a fullgroup for some casual roaming, siege, or just zerg the hell out of everything in your wake. When people became more adjusted to RvR, it naturally became more competative and eventually led to the rise of 8v8. 8 people comprises a fullgroup in DAoC, so basically it's just group vs. group, but in a place like RvR there's no set rules so they sort of made up their own as they went along. It's kind of like an honor system, you roam around with your group looking for a fight (primarily against other 8man groups) and if you stumble upon one you engage and fun ensues (or not). You try to avoid engaging in a fights where there's already 2 groups going at it, and at the same to you generally dodge any zergs / sieging.

Sounds like fun doesn't it? WRONG. DAoC has become so competitive, it has literally killed all facets of RvR to the point you cannot compete unless you are in an 8man group yourself, or on the rare occassion, you could hump a zerg and mabye siege a little. So while you CAN solo, duo, trio, casual group, siege... etc. at the same time you cannot. You take 2 steps outside of your realm's primary keep and you get endlessly trampled by stealther groups, 8man group, and just generally... greater numbers and/or superior classes/players. So lets say you're running along and you actually happen to find a solo fight with an enemy player and NOT get steamrolled by every group within clipping range, you still may not win the fight. With all the diverse items, specs, and class imbalances it's just as likely you lose the fight or get ganked by adds before the end of it. It's one big frackin headache.

So why not join an 8man? Well, first off, some people don't prefer that kind of play. Second, it's so competative, you firstly have to be the right class, and once you've got that down, you have to find a group that needs your particular class. You have to not only know all the classes in your realm, but know everything about the other realms as well. You have to have the right gear and be a good player. You need master level abilities, artifacts, and the know-how and it certainly doesn't hurt to have a high pvp ranking (you gain realm points in RvR by killing folk and you can spend them on activate and passive abilities that further enhance your character). Once you've got all that down, you have a CHANCE of getting into a good 8man guild/group. What if you get bored of the class and want to reroll? or the guild/group breaks up... there's plenty of thing that can go wrong and spoil all your hard work. If you don't run with a set guild, you have to form pickup groups or PuG's, which is another nightmare all together.

These are just some of the issues with DAoC. Other games have similar issues in that the developers intend for one thing, but it turns out completely different. Mythic (developers of DAoC) wanted the player to be able to control how they participate in RvR, but yet they are forced into what's generally accepted among the players. There's no real choice involved... it's a good idea but severly flawed. I'm just tired of developers thinking innovation is key when it comes to pvp... just use what works. FPS and RTF are very old genres, with very old titles, some of which people still play just b/c they simply work (there's no back-breaking bullshit involved). People still play Starcraft and Counter Strike - these games are old as hell and yet they just keep going. I've seen the same felgercarb crop up time after time. I've played a million MMOG's on the market and I always end up quitting or moving to a new game, sometimes before I've ever experienced the game in full, just because it sucks to immensely. In conclusion, we want something new... not necessarily different. New classe to play, new items to gain, new areas to explore (changes on the outer or even aesthetic level, not at the core)... it's what makes MMOG's fun - don't try to uproot the genre and label it innovation, it will just flop like the gazillion other MMO's flooding the market. They frackin suck and nobody plays them.

Well... that's my gripe. I know some people won't agree, but it doesn't matter because they're wrong. =O

Originally posted by Nocturnal@Feb 28 2006, 07:32 PM
Well... that's my gripe. I know some people won't agree, but it doesn't matter because they're wrong. =O
=o

But I agree, newer doesn't always have to be better.

I agree with your grip Nocturnal, except I would want to expand on that gripe into a game we both played together. A PvP system that gets implemented shouldn't have a huge penalty. Of course, there needs to be a counter-act as well so you don't have high levels running in low-level land ganking people.

Somehow there just needs to be a balanced, pvp, yet very entertaining and unique system. I belive Simutronics can deliver.

About the Death Penalty. A death penalty is tough to develope. When you start thinking of ideas you tend to start thinking of whats already been done, and then just vote on which system has worked more then the others. I honestly can't think of anything outside of the box, but I'm sure as I said before, Simutronics is all about thinking outside of the box.

Thats my 2 cents, I may go up to 6 cents soon with another reply!

Aye, I have some faith in Simu. Hopefully they'll succeed where others have failed. The game looks very promising... leeps and bounds above other MMOG's I've seen.

Something I always wanted in a mmorpg was a more organized and a more restricted market place. Where merchants would trade with nearby villages through actual markets held once a week in the town square. Then once a month or so a fair would be held in a certain city that would attract foreign merchant from distant lands. These fairs would also draw in all kinds of performers and bards.

Originally posted by Atlas@Mar 1 2006, 12:17 AM
Something I always wanted in a mmorpg was a more organized and a more restricted market place. Where merchants would trade with nearby villages through actual markets held once a week in the town square. Then once a month or so a fair would be held in a certain city that would attract foreign merchant from distant lands. These fairs would also draw in all kinds of performers and bards.
Great idea, I've played too many games were people just run around yelling
"SELLING SUPER DUPER SWORD OF INSTANT DEATH PM MMEEEEEEE!!"
A organized system for selling and buying would really hit the spot.

"A organized system for selling and buying would really hit the spot."

I'd be happy with somethin like wow or FFO (auction system). DAoC didn't do to bad either, you just bought a "consignment merchant" to go along with your personal house and people could view your items with a search system at a "market explorer" from the entrance to the housing zones. It added some real utility to housing, whereas in EQ2 it didn't really mean anything aside from decorating it for fun.

I do like the active market idea though. WoW kinda hit on the fair thing which was quite interesting.

On a side note the fair idea always reminds me of the holliday extras developers throw in for shits and giggles. It's fun to wake up Christmas or Halloween and find your favorite city decorated from top to bottom. I hope we'll see stuff like that. Might have to skip on Christmas though, w/ all the politically correct nazis assaulting everyone. B)

I would have to agree on the trading items post. Getting rid of good items that you get the you either dont need or cant use is usually a big part of MMORPGs. WoW hit it good with the auction house but you still get the spam of people selling their items. DAoC hit it with them consignment merchants but the market explorer used to search for items didnt have enough choices to narrow searches down throughout the merchants making your list of +Heat resist pretty big.

also i love a game that has different looks for armor sets/pieces. thats what makes characters look different armor wise. When i buy and RPG and get started on it and the armor is much the same, no matter how high level you are or how far through it i am, then i will put that game away and never play it again no matter the gameplay. i think what makes a game is not only the gameplay but also the eye appeal of it. played guild wars but quit after a while cause there wasnt alot of choices for armor which after a while it gets boring and i think that is real important especially on an MMORPG.

Overpopulated factions could pose a huge problem, so why not add NPC guards for the underpopulated factions so they wont totally be at a loss. or when alot of stuff is razed from a certain faction then even more guards show up at whats left of their kingdom. and an easy way to explain this would be the guards/survivors from the razed towns fled their town as it was razed and regrouped in nearby cities to help defend them from an impending attack! that would be great. so that way even thou this faction razed these towns easily then the next towns would be more difficult to take.

Hrmm, you are aware the HJ won't really have armor pieces to collect and change the way you look? The intent, from what they've said so far, is you design your outfit to look the way you want, and they act as armor and grow in strength as you evolve them (not sure at this point how that works, maybe you spend hero points on them).

So that if two people made a warrior/gearknight, and one was dressed as a medival knight with full plate armor, and the other was dressed as a swashbuckler, they could have the same armor benefits (or theoretically the swashbuckler could have more armor).

I like this approach. In WoW everyone tried to get the same armor at end game, thus everyone started to look alike.

Yeah just atleast in this game you have alot of options to change your armor look. will you be able to change the way it looks later, i mean if you get tired of the way your character looks will you have that option to change the appearance? thats what im looking for. If not my main thing is everyone looking alike and from what i seen on the vid someone will actually have to put alot of effort into it to look exactly like another person.

Back