If you could meet any author...

PsYcO

If you could meet and discuss sci-fi/fantasy with any author, who would it be and why?

Mine would be Neil Gaiman. The subjects he writes about and how he comes up with this stuff just fascinates me.

David Feintuch, for his personal difficulties in the road to publishing. his website is several years out of date now but i've tried to contact him for as little as a few Q&A's to publish here if he collects his emails at the published address. it's a personal thing i guess, time has progressed on earth and now we will find peoples individual choice will be so varied for numerous reasons, no longer the handful of commercially viable authors as we now have greater proliferation in the scene.

PsYcO said:
If you could meet and discuss sci-fi/fantasy with any author, who would it be and why?

Mine would be Neil Gaiman. The subjects he writes about and how he comes up with this stuff just fascinates me.

Probably Anne Rice. David

I would want to sit down and talk to R. A. Salvatore. I like the pace of his novesl, and his combat scenes are the best I have read. Besides, too many writers have their protagonists save the world, where Mr. Salvatore focusses on smaller matters. The plot is very personal to the protagonists in that it revolves around them and a small part of the world. I don't know; it just seems more realistic to me.

Trooper
author of Soul Searcher, The Reckoning

I agree with you on that Trooper. I get tired of the whole world saving thing myself. I am looking forword to reading your book. You'll be seeing my check in the mail soon.

Patricia Kennealy Morrison, authoress of the Keltiad series. Stunning fantasies based on Arthurian legend with many novels in the series. Simply stated, "what if" the Ancient Celts took to the stars when fleeing the persecutions in Ireland? She weaves a fascinating tale and draws on her extensive background in history, Wicca, and language and delivers a compelling read.

I look forward to reading Mrs. Morrison's series; it sounds pretty good. So, is this a fantasy/scifi series?

Psycho: I will have that in the mail as soon as I have your address.

I would take it old school and would love to sit down & talk with Jules Verne. With his works coming out of the age of the Industrial Revolution I think it'd be fascinating to hear his thought processes and what led to some of his ideas that are actually being realized in today's modern world.

I actually got my wish. I got to meet Lois Mcmaster Bujold, author of the Vorkosigan and Chalion series. She's gracious and clever and an all-around nice person. (Plus, she writes some truly fantastic books.)

Thanks to conventions, I've had the opportunity opportunity to meet many writers whose work I've admired. Josepha Sherman, Terry McGarry, Patricia Bray, Louise Marley...every single writer I've met has been kind and helpful. It's wonderful.

I even got to say hello-very briefly!-to Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman at last year's Worldcon. They really are that brilliant, and very polite too.

wow

That's great Melissa. I actually hope to meet Neil Gaiman myself at the national book fair in washington on Sept. 24. He will also be at a Borders store near Arlington Virginia the day after for a book signing. I'm so excited to meet him. He's been my favourite author for some years now.

All I got to do was wave and yell "Congratulations on the Hugo Award!" but he waved back and said "Thanks!" I went to a panel or 2 that he was on, and they were great fun.

Probably Christopher Priest, I just think his stories are amazing. From the descriptions, to the flow, character build, and the way his stories criss cross. Some are even hierarchical. I'm not going to explain :P but those of you who've read his novels will know what I mean.

Rich. :smiley:

(first post, woohoo!)

Back