I'm Still Here

akaJB

Cadet
AN: This deals with suicide, so if you are feeling suicidal, or have had feelings of suicide please approach someone for help, a friend, teacher, relative or co-worker. There’s no shame in needing help.

Okay, I posted this over at sd-1.net last summer, and have been working on the sequel, but have lost most of my inspiration. I'm hoping that posting it here, and getting some new feedback will get me writing again.

This is 7 parts long... and it's all written... but please read/review so I know if I should continue posting here.

Thanks

Joey :smiley:

I’m Still Here

And I want a moment to be real
What to touch things I don’t feel
Want to hold on and feel I belong

And how can the world want me to change
They’re the ones that stay the same
They can’t see me but I’m still here
(Goo Goo Dolls I’m Still Here)

The sun still rises and sets. The world keeps on turning. Day turns to night. Night turns to day. Flowers bloom only to wilt days, weeks or a month later. Time flows by unwanted and unwelcome. I’m still here.

I thought things would get better. That things couldn’t possibly get any worse. How could they? My nightmares had morphed into my life in a blink of an eye. If my life was a nightmare, how could sleep be anything but a relief? A break from the horror. A chance to dream.

Apparently the human mind is more amazing then I ever imagined. Even after the day had ended, and exhaustion (or alcohol) caused me to pass out across my bed, my mind would burst into life creating the most vivid and terrifying nightmares that made my days seem like a piece of cake.

I’d be tortured all the while watching Vaughn and Lauren living their normal life on high speed. The dating, marriage, kids speeding by before my eyes. The two looking like the happiest people on earth, nothing ever shattering their world. Or I’d spend the night being placed in situations that required me to kill Vaughn, but unlike my encounter with Simon and Vaughn, the medics never reached him in time. I’d watch over and over the look in his eyes, the betrayal, hurt, pain, disgust, anger, hate that they’d showed as he met my eyes. I couldn’t look away, no matter how hard I’d try.

The good nights were the ones when I woke up in a cold sweat, my body shivering and shaking, unable to take the terror of sleep any longer. Nights that would meld into twenty to thirty minutes showers in an attempt to get warm, to stop the shakes. The horror of the dreams not fading in the morning light as I sat in my kitchen with a pitcher of coffee. I’d rather be on a caffeine high then move back to my bed and attempt to sleep.

The bad nights I woke up screaming, sobbing, coughing, unable to breathe. I’d lie in bed gasping for air, eyes darting around the room frantically searching for intruders, for the source of my fear. When I’d finally managed to calm myself down enough that I could breathe, I’d gather my gun and move into the corner of my bedroom, comforter wrapped around me as I huddled with my back to the wall. My eyes would be wide, frantically searching the room, left corner, right, ceiling, window, door, start over. I wouldn’t need caffeine this time to stay awake, the fear that was coursing through me enough to keep my eyes from closing.

My performance at work was slipping. I’d noticed it, and I was sure everyone else had as well. I couldn’t focus on anything anymore. My mind always running on super speed, either from the current caffeine high I was on, or the fear that just refused to leave, constantly gnawing away on the inside.

People won’t look at me anymore, refusing to meet my eyes when I enter a room, the floor, ceiling or paperwork more interesting. Only Dixon, my dad and Weiss ever talk to me, and all three of them spend the few minutes in which they could corner me trying to convince me into taking a vacation. “You just need to get away for a while.” “Everything will seem better if you take a short break.” “I’ve heard Cuba is nice this time of year.”

A Vacation. Every time I think of the words a bitter laugh escapes me before I can regain my stony exterior. Being by yourself in a foreign country, or at a hotel by the beach is not a Vacation. Vacations are something you do if you’re normal, if you have family or friends or a life. No one goes on Vacations by themselves. Besides, the last thing I need is being able to spend all my time reliving my dreams.

Vaughn tried to talk to me. Once. Doesn’t he realize that he’s the source of my problems? That telling me that everything will be alright, that I “have his number” isn’t going to make everything better? That when you tell someone you love them, only to turn around a moment later to go and hug, kiss and make love to your wife can be classified as cruel and unusual punishment? That each word he speaks just drives the knife deeper, twisting the blade so that it’s become so embedded I’m not even sure it’s possible for it to ever be removed.

I blew up at him the time he approached me. I can’t even recall the entire conversation to this day, but I do know it was the day, the incident that started the don’t-make-eye-contact trend at work. I remember yelling about Lauren, about duties and morals. I questioned Vaughn’s morals, something I’ve never thought I’d do. I told him to stay the f*** away from me if he’s going to continue to go home and f*** his wife. I told him that I hate him. I told him that if I never saw him again in my life it’d be too soon. I told him that the only thing he’s ever done for me is cause me pain. I told him that meeting him ruined my life.

I lied.

And now, now I’m lying in the bath debating taking an extended vacation. I’ve already thought everything through. The three pill bottles are lined up on the rim of the bathtub. Advil, Tylenol 1, and Asprin. Beside them resides a glass of red wine, a nod towards my earlier days when the highlight of my day would be retreating to the bathroom for a comforting bath. A tradition that Vaughn had managed to improve just by his presence, sitting on the side, sharing the glass of wine.

I was going to write notes. It would, after all, be my last chance to say good-bye. To tell the ones I love that I love them, and everyone else to f*** it to hell. But my list of good-byes were short, and when I had sat down earlier to write the letters, I found I had nothing to say. No words of wisdom or parting clichés. For an English major, my lack of words at the time had been astonishing. But my conclusion being that everyone who knew me well enough wouldn’t need to receive a cheesy good-bye card that I’d left behind. They wouldn’t need the note that I’d delivered from the “other side.” They’d know everything I need or want to tell them.

I glance towards my cell phone, as it sits lonely on the bathroom counter. I turned it off. Nothing was going to get in the way of my plans tonight. No last minute calls to come into work. No pleads to talk with a psychiatrist, or to go out for a movie because it’d make me feel better. No communication from the outside world. This was my time.

I use to tell myself that I believed in fate. That everything happened for a reason, and everything had a purpose in life. Well Fate, either I’m suppose to die tonight, or somehow, somewhere someone’s going to know what’s happening tonight and will manage to prevent it. But me, I’m placing my bet that Fate doesn’t exist. If it did, why would it have ever let my life reach the point it has?

I reach out slowly for the first bottle, fighting with the childproof cap until I can let the pills spill from the bottle into my hand.

To be continued... if you want :smiley:

wowwowowowowowowowwowowow! wow! i'd really like you to continue, that was really well written. if u do continue, i want to be on the pm list, a little heavy for light reading, but very good just the same. very dramatic. i loved it, hope u keep going with it!

Well, I'll deffinitly add you to my pm list.. you get spot number 1! :smiley:

I'd like to get a few more replies before I post the next chapter.. please people?

joey :smiley:

Well, I was looking for fluff, and this is definitely not fluff, but I am so captivated by the first chapter.

Wow!

The writing is SO good.

I Loved It
Great Chapter
Cant wait for more

:D

PM Me!

I'll be updating as soon as I can get my laptop to connect to the internet again... arg (on desktop, but don't have story or program to open story on desktop.....)

p.s. count on one by this evening...(if not sooner)

Part 2:

No I would not sleep in this bed of lies
So toss me out, and turn in
And there’ll be no rest for these tired eyes
I’m marking it down to learning
(Matchbox 20 Bed of Lies)

Walk four steps. Stop. Turn around. Walk four steps. Stop. Turn around. Walk four steps. Back and forth. Back and forth. Until finally, an arm reaches out and catches me mid stride, bringing an abrupt stop to my motions. I look down to the hand that grasps my arm. The wedding ring cool against my wrist, and the gold contrasting deeply with his pale skin.

“What?!” I didn’t even realize I had snapped until the hand jerked away from my arm, the body following suit, back to it’s former seat on the couch.

“What’s so important that you have to pace all night about it anyway?”

Why am I pacing? I glance towards the TV, the Kings game had long been muted, before letting my gaze travel back to meet up with the green eyes that were staring at me intently; determined to find the reason that had me pacing back and forth. The reason that he couldn’t watch his beloved Kings game in peace.

“I don’t know.” Simple, to the point, and in all truth, honest. I don’t know what reason, or purpose propelled me from my seat twenty minutes earlier. Why I had put down my beer, which I’m sure had long since grown warm, in order pace the confined space in front of the couch.

“Well if you don’t know, would you mind stopping, or doing so in another room?” his curiosity satisfied, he turned his attention away from me and back to the TV, picking up the remote to turn the sound back on.

The announcers voice had hardly had a chance to start before I interrupted the game once more. “Something’s wrong. Something’s not right.”

Exasperated, the mute was re-engaged, and his attention was focused back to me. “Yes, I know. Something’s always wrong. We don’t live in a perfect world. Would you please just shut-up?”

“No. You don’t get it. There’s something wrong.”

“Fine, tell me. What’s wrong this time? Your beer’s warm? Well that’s your fault. Besides, there’s more in the fridge. Can’t get a girl? What’s new about that?! Can I please just watch the game in peace?”

“You know you could be watching at your house,” I mumble angrily as I resume my seat on the couch, picking up my beer only to determine that it is warm. Wincing I set it back on the table, grabbing a few pretzels in an attempt to erase the lingering taste it left behind.

“Do I have to remind you that you’re the one who invited me here to watch?”

“Like you’d rather be watching with your wife.”

“Don’t go there. Not tonight.” Mike’s voice has changed from it’s teasing tone to his favorite tone, dead serious, but with a pinch of self-hate thrown in. His wife, Lauren, has always been a touchy subject for us. One that’s been the cause of almost every fight we’ve had over the last two years.

We sink into silence. Our eyes are staring at the TV, but I know that neither of us are following the game. Not tonight. There’s something going on tonight. I know it. I just don’t know what.

I break myself from my thoughts to look at Mike. His eyes have moved from the TV to the window, staring across the small patch of grass to the side of Sydney’s house. Deciding not to interrupt his memories, I move my gaze back to the TV only to realize that so far, I’ve managed to miss every single goal, my attention just refusing to focus on hockey for the night.

I reach for my beer, only to remember that it’s warm. I look at the bottle in disgust, before heaving myself from the couch, to grab a replacement. I’d barely entered the “kitchen area” when I heard the knock on my door. “Mike, can you grab that for me? It’s probably the pizza.” I shout back to the living room.

“Got it.”

I open the fridge, grabbing another bottle from the door, before slamming it shut and picking up the pizza money that I had sitting on the counter. I ambled out into the hallway to give Mike the money, when I realized I hadn’t heard anything from him since he’d opened the door. As I clear the doorway and am finally able to see the door, the silence that had started to suffocate the house makes sense. Sydney’s standing in the doorway, wrapped in white terry-cloth robe and slippers, her hair still wet on her shoulders. The two have locked gazes, neither able to pull away, and neither able to say a thing.

“Syd.” My voice seems to break the spell that had wrapped itself around the two, their eyes immediately drifting to look at me.

“Hey Weiss.” Sydney says softly. “Umm. I just… I came by to.. uh.” She looks away, down at her feet before returning her gaze to me. “Never mind.” She turns away and heads down the few steps that lead to my door.

“Syd?” At the sound of her name, she spins back to face me. “You okay?”

“Yeah,” a weak smile appears on her face. “I’m fine.”

Once again she turns to walk away, moving slowly down the remaining step. I hold my breath, not sure what I’m waiting for, until I realize as Sydney disappears from sight that I’d been waiting for Mike to speak. Throughout the entire encounter they’d managed to get away without saying a word to each other.

I didn’t even realize I’d been standing there, staring at the open doorway until the sound of a car pulling into the driveway reached my ears. I shifted my gaze away from the outdoors to glance over at Weiss. “Pizza time.”

We walk out onto the porch, to wait the arrival of the delivery. Quickly exchanging the money for the food, we head back to the living room, only to discover that once again another goal had been scored during our absence from the game. As Weiss sets the pizza box onto the table, immediately pulling out a slice for himself, I just stare blindly at the TV. Shaking myself from my daze, I reach for the remote, clicking the TV off.

“Hey, what did you do that for?” Weiss turns to me, pizza dangling awkwardly in his hand.

“What’s the point of watching? It’s not like we’re paying any attention to the game.”

“I was.”

“Oh yeah? Then tell me who’s scored the goals tonight?”

“Umm… hey, if you haven’t been paying attention how would you know if I was right or wrong?”

“Point proven.” I reach for a slice of pizza, before turning my gaze back to the window, and in turn Sydney’s house. I should’ve known when I came over tonight that being this close to her, that knowing she was less than 100 feet away would make me lose any semblance of control or focus that I had.

After seeing her in her bathrobe, the feelings I’d been trying to suppress came bubbling back to the surface. From the looks of it she had just finished a relaxing bath. Probably, knowing her, with a glass of red wine to help her relax. My mind started to travel back in time, back to the days when I’d be right by her side as she’d sink into the hot water, letting it wash over her, the tears sliding down her cheeks, only to be stopped as I’d reach my hand out to brush them away. The feeling of her skin underneath my hand...

“MIKE!” Weiss voice rocketed me back from my daydreams to reality. He was staring at me, concern written clearly across his face. His face softened, as he turned until he was completely facing me. “Mike, seriously man, what’s going on?”

I didn’t answer him. He loves playing Mr. Advice, and I hate the advice he gives. It’s not that it’s necessarily bad (although it’s often not great), but sometimes he’s just to honest for my liking. Telling me what I already know, pushing me down the path I’m trying to back out of like a coward.

“Mike.” I let my gaze wander back to his face, eyes meeting eyes in a battle of wits.

“Did she seem… different to you tonight?” I finally speak up, after tearing my gaze from his and back to the side of Sydney’s house.

“Different how?”

“I don’t know exactly. Just … different I guess. Something didn’t seem quite right.”

“Well besides the fact that the two of you just stared at each other, but never uttered a word, she seemed okay to me.”

“Are you sure?” I turn back to him, finally letting my worry creep into my voice, the wrinkles on my forehead appearing. “I can’t put my finger on it, but something seemed… wrong.”

“Well it could just be because she didn’t expect to see you here.” Weiss shrugged his shoulders.

“No, it wasn’t that.” I pulled the gold coin from my pocket, letting it twirl about between my fingers as my mind replayed the entire incident over and over again, looking for the clue. Nothing jumped out at me. “I guess you’re right.”

“I told you Mike, I’m always right.”

“Shut-up.”

The two of us sank into silence for a few minutes. Eating the pizza silently, with the occasional sip of beer. My mind wouldn’t let it go though, as it continued to analyze the problem. Two years ago I’d know with just a single look. It killed me that know I couldn’t even narrow the possibilities down to just a couple solutions.

“Why don’t you go talk to her?”

“What?”

“Talk, you know, that thing we’re doing right now. You guys definitely need to sit down and just lay everything on the table. Make some decisions. Either you both need to learn how to deal with each other or, I hate to say it, but one of you has got to go. This… thing, between the two of you, doesn’t just affect you two. It affects all of us working with you. It affects you and Lauren.”

“I know.” I realize I’ve said that rather harshly, when Weiss raises his hands in mock surrender. I try again, forcing my voice to remain calm. “I know. I just don’t know … how. What do I say to her? How do you even bring up a topic like this. Every time we try to talk, it just turns into a fight. Last time,” I pause, taking a deep breath, and trying to not let the memories of her earlier words haunt me as I speak. “Last time we talked, she told me that she hates me. I think she’s made her opinion on the entire topic all to clear. But Eric, I can’t just leave. I don’t know how to stay away, to not be involved when it comes to her. I could never sleep when she’s on missions before, and I can’t sleep even now. At least before, after she got home she could phone me, or someone would phone me to tell me that she was safe. If I wasn’t there, if I’m not allowed to know what’s going on, how would I ever get to sleep? I can’t bear the thought of not knowing if she’s alive, or if she’s hurt, or ok. I need her. I can’t leave, and I can’t let her leave. It’s a lose-lose situation and I don’t know what to do about it.”

“I’d love to be able to give you answers to all your questions, but I can’t do that. The only way you can decide what to do is by talking with Syd. She needs you just as much as you need her. The two of you need to decide if you can live without each other, and if not how you can go about living together without pissing off everyone you’re working with, or married to. Maybe all you’re meant to be is friends, but you won’t be able to even be that much if you never talk. Just go over and see her. I doubt she’s in bed yet, probably on the couch watching some cheesy girly movie with a box of Kleenex. Make her listen to you, don’t take no for an answer and get some things finally decided between the two of you. Decide what it is you both want, or at least are able to live with.”

I stand up, courage flowing through me, like adrenaline during a mission. “Okay, I’m going to do this.” I move towards the door, “I can do this.”

“Good-luck,” Weiss calls out, as I hear him flip the TV back on in time to catch the end of the game. “I won’t wait up.”

A small grin escapes onto my face as I pull the door open and step outside. I’m going to do it. I won’t take no as an answer. She has to listen to me. This is it, the moment of truth.

I head down the driveway and turn to cut across the lawn and cut through the hedge. I can see her front door now, the light still shining down on the porch, almost as if she’s expecting me. My eye’s focused on the prize, the door, I don’t notice the object in my path until I trip over it, clumsily falling to my knees. I push myself back to feet, before turning back to see what I tripped over.

I stop breathing as I recognize the shape of a body laying on the ground before me, and am back on my knees before I have a chance to think, hands immediately coming into contact with the bathrobe I’d stared at only 10 or 15 minutes earlier. Panic starts to rise in my throat, as I choke out a scream. “WEISS!”

TBC

Please review.. the more reviews, the quicker i update. :P

PM List
sydneyluvsvaughn4eva
krzykty57789
luckylass
aliasdancer007

ahhhhhh, hey now! u can't end it like that! arg, poor people! poor...poor...me! thnx for the pm and u had better update soon because i'm fixin to have a breakdown! hehe,thnx, L

I head down the driveway and turn to cut across the lawn and cut through the hedge. I can see her front door now, the light still shining down on the porch, almost as if she’s expecting me. My eye’s focused on the prize, the door, I don’t notice the object in my path until I trip over it, clumsily falling to my knees. I push myself back to feet, before turning back to see what I tripped over.

I stop breathing as I recognize the shape of a body laying on the ground before me, and am back on my knees before I have a chance to think, hands immediately coming into contact with the bathrobe I’d stared at only 10 or 15 minutes earlier. Panic starts to rise in my throat, as I choke out a scream. “WEISS!”

DAMNIT! Noooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :nonono: This. Is. Bad.

Great Chap
I Loved It
Cant wait for more

:D

Hey,

Sorry for the delay, accessing internet at my parents = nightmare.

Part 3

You will fly and you will crawl
God knows even angels fall
No such thing as you lost it all
God knows even angels fall

(10 Things I Hate About You Soundtrack, Even Angels Fall)

“WEISS!” I forced air back into my lungs before shouting again, my eyes never straying from Sydney’s face. “WEISS!” Why isn’t he responding? I continue to call his name, until a half-sob half-choke rising up in my throat, cut me off.

I feel like I’ve been kneeling on the cold ground beside her for eternity now, desperately trying to find a pulse, to see her chest rise and fall, to see some form of life. But she continues to remain motionless, eyes closed, and unresponsive to my touch. When I joined the agency all those years ago, they put me through extensive emergency medical training, and even in the years since, at least once every two years, if not more frequently, we undergo a re-training, re-certification process to keep our skills up to date. Although with the number of missions I’ve been going on lately, and have over the years, I bet I could be a f***ing EMT. I’ve actually probably had more experience then half of them. But right now, at this critical moment when all my skills should be flowing through me, directing my hands, my thoughts, my instincts, my mind has gone completely blank. I can hardly remember how to find a pulse, much less provide any emergency medical treatment.

“What?!” I finally hear Weiss emerge out on to his porch, yelling across the yard, exasperation at being called outside filling his voice.

“ERIC GET YOUR ASS OVER HERE RIGHT NOW!” is my only reply, as I lower my cheek to Sydney’s mouth to see if I can feel her breath. My hands continue to frantically grasp at her wrist, looking for a pulse. Thump. Thump. Thump. Finally finding one, I stop their movement, eyes darting down to my watch as I count the beats. Too slow. Too slow. The words echo through my head in time with the thumps.

In the back of my mind, I barely process the sounds of Weiss rushing across his driveway and shoving his way awkwardly through the hedge. “What’s going on? What’s wrong?” As he manages to push the final branches that were holding him hostage aside, he stops dead less then a foot away from me as he eyes land on Sydney. “What happened? What’d you do?”

I let his comment slide, there’s not enough time to argue. “I don’t know,” I can feel my voice catch, as this time a combined hic-up and sob try to break free. I let my gaze shift away from Sydney to meet Weiss’ eyes. “I was just walking over to see her. I would’ve missed her completely but I tripped. I wasn’t looking where I was going and…” I trail off, what else is there to say. “I found a pulse, but it’s weak Eric.”

“I’ll call an ambulance,” Weiss tells me, turning to run back to his house. “Mike, just stay with her. I’ll be right back. See if you can see what’s knocked her out. Did someone come by? How’d we miss this?” Eric’s words fade off as he reaches his house, running inside to the phone.

I shift my gaze back down to Sydney, my fingers still gripping her wrist, the feel of her pulse keeping me sane. I let my other hand slip to her face, tucking a wayward strand of hair behind her ear, before resting on her cheek. I can remember a time when just the touch of my hand, and she’d instinctively turn towards me, but this time I don’t get even as much as a slight movement (towards or away), or a blink of an eye. “Come on Syd, you need to wake up now,” I didn’t even realize I had started speaking, the words seeming to escape me of their own will.

Not soon enough, Weiss comes rushing back over to tell me the ambulance is on the way. Unlike the normal citizen, A CIA agent doesn’t get to just phone 911 for an emergency. We have our own protocol on what to do, who to phone, and who can come pick us up if we our unable to get there ourselves. They would send out what looks to be an ordinary ambulance, but the EMT’s on board would be CIA doctors and medical workers, taking us to the CIA hospital, or perhaps even the Joint Task Force medical wing, depending on their diagnosis of Sydney’s condition.

“Did you find out what’s going on?” Weiss asks, as he falls to his knees on the other side, a blanket in his hand which he lays over her prone figure.

“I can’t see anything wrong. There’s no blood, no bullet holes, no bruises, or bumps. Except for the fact that she’s lying on the ground, and isn’t responding, I’d just say that she was sleeping. Do you think someone could have poisoned her?” I ask, as I run through a check-list of possible injuries and/or causes that would put her into this state.

“Possibly,” Weiss nods. “But I don’t think it’s likely, I’m betting that she ended up here on her way back from stopping by, which gives us a 15-20 minute time window. I can’t off the top of my head think of any poisons that are that fast acting, and that supply these responses. If she was poisoned, I think she’d have enough time from the injection, or ingestion to either phone for help, or come ask me for it.”

I nod, Weiss’s reasoning makes sense, but my check-list is coming up empty on a reason to why we’ve ended up in this state. As I start to look her over once again to double check that I didn’t miss anything, I can hear the faint sounds of the siren as it approaches. Thank God.

I watch as Mike runs his eyes up and down the length of Sydney’s body. It’s a action I’ve seen him do a thousand times, but this time it’s not to take in the curve of her body, or to absorb what ever ridiculous outfit the mission requires her to wear. This time, I can see the wheels turning in his head as he desperately tries to determine the reason behind Sydney’s unresponsiveness. The hand that use to be gripping her wrist, in order to feel her pulse, slides down to weave his fingers through hers, giving her hand a slight squeeze.

As I hear the ambulance siren grow closer, I move from my position crouched on the ground in order to direct them. Waving them over from the bottom of the driveway, the screech to a halt, the medics jumping out, rushing to the back doors to grab a stretcher and other needed supplies. I can vaguely hear doors to the surrounding houses opening, as people respond to their curiosity, trying to determine which house the ambulance has been called to.

“Excuse me, sir,” I look up to see an EMT standing before me. It took me a moment, but I quickly recognized him as Jason, one of the medics down at the joint task force. I open my mouth to greet him, but he gives a short shake of his head, reminding me that I shouldn’t know who he is.

“Yep?” I reply, my gaze watching as the other workers try to get Vaughn to leave Sydney’s side so they can diagnose her.

“Do you have any clue as to what happened here tonight, sir?” Jason questions, a clipboard clenched in one hand, the other trying to fill in details on the patient.

“Agen… I mean my friend Mike was just coming over to talk to Sydney and he found her unconscious on the ground. He said he found a pulse, but besides that, we haven’t be able to get her to respond to anything. I don’t know what happened, there weren’t any obvious signs of what’s caused the reaction. I couldn’t find any blood.” I let my voice sink to a whisper. “Where are you taking her?”

“Anything else?” Jason asks, before he too, lowered his voice in answer. “CIA hospital.”

“Jason?” A voice calls out from the few surrounding Sydney.

“Yeah Jim?” Jason turns his attention away from me, towards the group.

“Can you give us a hand here?” They had moved Sydney from her position on the ground to lying on the stretcher, strapped down. Mike still gripping her hand, refusing to let go. They just needed another pair of hands to lift the stretcher into the back of the ambulance.

I stepped forward with Jason, helping him out by convincing Mike to let go of Sydney’s hand long enough for them to load her into the ambulance. “Mike, I’ll meet you at the hospital. I just have to go grab my cell and wallet, and I’ll take my car.”

Mike’s gaze has been following Sydney’s movements, but something I said catches his attention. He reaches into his pocket, withdrawing his car keys which he hands to me. “I’m parked right behind you, you better take mine.” Before I have to a chance to say another word, he hurries over and climbs in beside Sydney, Jason closing the doors behind him. I stand there silently watching as the ambulance pulls away, lights flashing, before turning and heading back to my house.

Paperwork. I hate paperwork. It’s a useless exercise that the higher-ups, the ones that aren’t out in the field, came-up with. Something they can use to validate their existence. Proof that the $500 dinner with so-and-so was a business meeting. The amount of paperwork that this department produces easily out-weights the amount that any sane human could read in a life time, so it often makes me wonder what the point is. It’s not like the IRS is really going to come audit the CIA.

But once again, here I am late on a Saturday night, working on this useless task. My eye’s going blurry from staring at the piles of white paper with miniscule black writing, reading over and commenting on the mission reports that cross my desk. Sometimes I think that some of the Agents doubt my intelligence. As if I don’t notice that they just re-worded their last report, modeling it to reflect their newest mission. When you read a thousand reports, and only minor details feel as if they’ve been changed, it becomes quite clear.

Shoving aside the current stack of paperwork, I reach for my keys, and cell phone. I flick off the light in my office as I leave, flashing my CIA badge to the security guards as I exit into the underground parking lot, and retrieve my car. For a moment I pause, staring at the CIA issue black sedan. I can’t remember the last time I had a car that wasn’t black, and that wasn’t CIA issue. I’ve drove a few others in order to keep up appearances on missions, but I’ve never been able to call a bright candy apple red convertible mine. A slight chuckle almost escapes me, as I think of everyone’s reaction if they saw me, Jack Bristow, in such a car. But the cool exterior I adopted all those years ago in order to cover for emotions I don’t want to deal with, quickly slides in to place. I think I’ve had this mask for too long, and it has now become permanently attached, cemented in place.

I was just clicking my seat-belt into place when my cell phone shrieked from it’s resting place on the passenger seat. Picking it up, I glance briefly at the caller id. Agent Weiss. What would he be calling me about on an Saturday night. Last I recall he, along with many of the junior agents, had been given the weekend off.

“Bristow,” I give my customary greeting as I answer the phone, but only silence greets me. “Agent Weiss, I do suppose you have a valid reason for phoning me on a Saturday night.”

“What?” A startled voice responds. “Oh, sorry Jack, I didn’t hear you pick up.”

I pull the phone away from my ear, and give it a questioning look, waiting for it to answer all my questions. I don’t think I’ve ever heard Agent Weiss sound so… flustered.

“In regards to what are you calling?” I decide to give him a push in the right direction.

“It’s about Sydney, Jack,” I hear him sigh. “She, uh, she’s…”

“Spit it out. I have no time for your useless babbling.”

“Mike, I mean Agent Vaughn, was over visiting me tonight and …”

“What did he do now?” Why can’t that man stay away from my daughter? Doesn’t he realize he’s just bad news?

“Nothing Jack. It wasn’t his fault. Sydney came by to see me, but left when she discovered he was here.”

“Is that what you’re phoning me about? The fact that my daughter is upset that Agent Vaughn is over visiting you? I don’t have time to deal with your high school squabbles.”

“NO!” Weiss voice surprises me, when it cuts through the phone with anger. “Jack, Mike went over to see Sydney, to talk to her. She was lying unconscious on her lawn. We couldn’t get her to wake up, so I called the JTF and they sent out an ambulance. I’m on route to the hospital as we speak.” I sat there stunned, unable to respond. “Jack, I really think you should get down here.” And with that he disconnected, and I was left sitting in my car, in the underground parkade listening to the dial tone.

I hold Sydney’s hand tight within my own, as I try to stay out of the way of the EMT’s. Immediately after placing her with in the ambulance, they had taken her hand and inserted an IV. Now, I let my thumb caress the bruise that was already forming in response to the IV. They had hooked up her up to multiple machines that continued to beep and blink away throughout our drive, each one recording some vital human process.

“BP is 75/60, but steady.” Jim barks out to Jason, who writes it down on his clipboard. “Agent Bristow continues to be unresponsive to all efforts.” Jim lowers his voice, leaning over in to whisper to Jason, but I hear him nonetheless. “This seems like a classic example of,” Jim stops talking, turning to glare at me. I hold his gaze for a moment before looking back to Sydney. I raise my left hand (my right is holding hers) to cup her face, careful of the oxygen mask. I gently stroke her face, whispering quietly to her, as Jim and Jason talk in the background. My curiosity overwhelms me, but as much as I try to listen, I can’t hear what they’re saying. At the same time, a small voice in the back of my head is telling me that I care to much. That I should be thinking about my wife,

But seeing Sydney lying on the ground pushed any logical thoughts out of my head. It was like we’d traveled back in time to when we were dating, or even just to when I was her handler, responsible for keeping her safe. It’s like an instinct or something, protecting Sydney.

“Excuse me Mike,” I let go of Sydney’s hand briefly to let Jason squeeze by. As soon has he’s passed though, I immediately take her hand back into mine.

Protecting Sydney. Obviously I haven’t been doing a very good job of that. If I had, we definitely wouldn’t be here right now. If, no when, Sydney wakes up we really need to have a talk.

“Mike, we’re pulling up to the hospital. You’re going to have to let Agent Bristow go so we can get her some help, okay?” Jason pulls my attention back to the present. I nod my consent.

What feels like seconds later the ambulance pulls to a stop and the back doors are pulled open. I let Sydney’s hand slip from mine as they remove her stretcher from the ambulance and rush her inside. I follow right behind them, listening as the shout her stats to the nurses and doctor that grab the stretcher at the entrance. Too soon they pull her through a set of doors at which I’m stopped. Only doctors and nurses allowed past this point. I let a nurse direct me to the waiting room, where I collapse into a chair, head immediately falling into my heads.

TBC

please review

all i can say is wow..you have an amazing writing style...very poetic. I love this story because its different from the usual fluff, it has a great deal of depth and raw emotion. Can i get a pm? Thanks

I cam't stand cliffhangers
I'm gonna go read this at SD-1
I wish i wasn't so impatient, but it is so good that you can't leave me hanging

Back