Season 5 Important News regarding Michael Vartan/Vaughn

nataliethealiasfreak said:
you know what guys, i really don't think we should start crying yet, everything is a mess, thats for sure.... it's a wait and see game now.
[post="1465810"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
Exactly. I'm sorry, but a post on a fan forum isn't any sort of confirmation in my eyes. There's still been no announcement.

Yeah, and the crying is kinda fun when it comes from the TV! It would just make me sad. Reading about it makes me angry and sad. Well, I'm over it, the feelings will probably come back after I see him die.

I also usually just lurk... but this compelled me to post about how this bothers me, personally.

While I am a HUGE MV fan... yup, saw Monster-In-Law the day it came out- the simple fact he is suppesedly killed off doesn't upset me. I do not know the man personally, so I have a hard time taking offense on his behalf, wrong as actions potentially are.

And as for the beauracratic business reasons potentially behind it, those are unfortunate but always there too. They have affected in an adverse way every TV show (and there aren't many) I have ever liked. However, not my business either.

It isn't even the new characters because I also enjoy Balthazar Getty, although I understand that on Alias the richness of the story is created by history between the characters... its why some loved Will and Irina and hated Lauren...

What angers me is the story. I was SO EXCITED to see how that car crash played out; it seemed the most exciting, potential ridden plot line to emerge in a while, and without over the top Rambaldi to boot!!! MV could have finally had something to sink his teeth into and it disappoints me that with his death the story goes on without him. I think the story will suffer because of like him or hate him, Vaughn's presence was the only thing that would give the story immediacy rather than make it a post-mordem investigation of sorts. There are plenty of crime procedurals for that.

The story is where TPTB are 100% accountable to fans of Alias. And, although I know I will see it through to the end, the story is the biggest failure here.

i'm not in denial about this (anymore) i know he left and it's really obvious now but i don't get why alias fans are assuming that the show will do horrible without him, we have to have faith, i highly doubt they would let him go without a good reason/storyline.

livia said:
I live in france and have been following whats been happening on the boards.
News about MV has now reached here and I read this morning in "Gala" (french magasine-not very often wrong about information) that Michael Vartan came very close to getting himself fired from Alias because of voicing his dislike to the fact that Ben Afflek was continually on the set and that JG shouldn't be working in her "condition". Their commentary to this was that"He should mind his own buisness".
[post="1464334"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

OK I don't know if you will see my post but I also live in France and one thing I'm sure is that Gala is a tabloid and what they write is often wrong. As for what they said everyone before me already answered so I'm not gonna repeat it.
Af for her pregnancy he just said that he hoped she would slow down because she's a workaolic person and he could see her wanting to do everything right to the very end...I think everyone can agree that Jen is someone who wants to her best and is really a perfectionist on her job...which is what makes her a great actress...:smiley:

Page 6 of the NY Post. According to all sources the most read gossip column in the country. Apparently the network's lack of comment is getting noticed as is the campaign to save MV. Still think this thing isn't happening?

The poop most certainly did hit the fan. :blink:

All I can say is look out ABC. :eek:

spydancer said:
Page 6 of the NY Post.  According to all sources the most read gossip column in the country.  Apparently the network's lack of comment is getting noticed as is the campaign to save MV.  Still think this thing isn't happening? 
[post="1466785"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
The point is, everything so far has been only gossip. It probably is happening, but I wouldn't take anything we have heard so far as concrete evidence.

This is twice that this thing has gobbled my post. So I'll get it out here as fast as I can.

I don't see what all the fuss is about Vartan leaving the show. How his last day on the set was last friday and now he's done with the show. How his character has died. Suddenly people are up in arms about the show ready to boycott it and "let their voices be heard". Please. The show has thus far been about the Bristows. Not just Syd, but Jack and Irina as well. It was their family that the entire show revolved. around.

For 4 years we have been fed in slow steady doses bits and pieces of their past. We've seen Syd grow from drone of SD-6 to an quite capable CIA Agent. They have worked through the questions and myth of the Rambaldi prophecy which centered around the bristow/derevko family. The story line as we've known it has to come to an end. At some point they have move on to something else.

From a story stand point I think that killing Vaughn off is excellent. It's exactly what this show needs. In fact I might go as far as to say that they really need to fade out Syd as well. (ducks from the tomatoes and calls of blasphemer) The show always worked best when there was real tension in Syds life. With Rambaldi done with, with an engagement to Vaughn and her family situation mostly settled.... where was her tension going to come from? Bam. Danny is dead and her world is rocked and it forces her to see things in a new light. Bam. Irina is alive, this forces her to re-think her family dynamic Bam. She loses 2 years and her boyfriend is married. She has to deal with working with them daily. Bam. She has a Sister and her mothers dead. Season 5, Bam....Vaughn is believed to be a double agent and is killed before she can marry him AND have his child. talk about messing a person up mentally. Dealing with the loss of trust, grief of death, and the birth of a baby Holy felgercarb!

Personally I would like to see Syd take over as head of APO. She might not have the strategic mind of Sloane or Jack, but she's got the drive and the impulsiveness to push the group to the edge. Keep Jack and Sloane on as advisors. Flipping the scales would certainly bring about a whole new dynamic to the group. They are bringing in new characters. New agents and hopefully new villans. Who better to train them and guide them as the new head of APO then the best agent the CIA has ever seen and not acknowledged in Syd?

This gives room for the story line to progress beyond Rambaldi, beyond the Bristows. I'm excited about this season. More then ever there is a wide open canvas to write the stories and create a tale that isn't hampered by what went before it. Tie up your lose ends and move on. Clean house and build a new one. Nothing is worse then a show that gets stale. I'm sorry but Syd and vaughn married with a kid screams stale and dying. So from a purely story standpoint, I'm glad that he's supposedly gone.

Now don't get me wrong. I thought that Michael Vartan was a great actor for what he did. He did tend to have a single face that he wore a lot. I much prefered Jack and Sloane who you hated one minute and loved the next...those were some characters. I never really felt the chemestry between Syd and Vaughn. I always believed that there was more fireworks between Will and Syd.

Bottom line? Characters come and go. Some really stand out with their performances such as Sark. Others fall flat like Vivica Fox. Lets get some new blood in here and see Alias surge back with decent ratings and seasons 6, 7 and 8 on the way!

I don't think that people are that upset about Vartan leaving but it is that dread that at the end of May, there is no more Alias (probably). I don't know about everyone else but I LOVE alias. So everyone is getting fusterated because they will miss the show.

Sure I'll miss Vartan, he was a cool charecter in the begining, but in recent times he has been a tad dull. I think it is time for Jen to move on with her career, she is a great actress! I will miss Victor Garber and Lena Olin, because they happen to be my favorites! But I agree with Rx2web, the actors/actresses need to move on!

I really hope ABC does the SpyFamNextGeneration! Sark could be the new Sloane... but hotter!

In any case I am preparing myself for Post-Alias shock (I had that with Buffy and Angel too)!

I really don't see why everyone is taking this to be absolutely true. We've been fed so many false spoilers in the past, this won't be the first (or fifth) or last one, if it turns out to be not true. I really don't think ABC or Alias would shoot themselves in the leg like this, it just doesn't make sense, and it certainly seems ludicrous that they'd allow it released on a fansite before an official statement. This entire thing just sounds very, very fishy to me.

I love the Vaughan/Syd storyline. If Vaughan OR Sydney left the show I would be devestated and would not watch it anymore.

Having said this, I think that even if Vaughan is not leaving, the show has been very very smart in letting us believe this. Just imagine how the ratings will skyrocket as everyone watches nervously to see IF or HOW one of out favourite characters will die and leave us. If I whr the the show I would use this to tempt us and drag it out towards the end of the season. Just imagine the promos/ads teasing us each week with the question as to whether vaughan will be killed! Smart, smart move.

Rx2web said:
From a story stand point I think that killing Vaughn off is excellent. It's exactly what this show needs. In fact I might go as far as to say that they really need to fade out Syd as well. (ducks from the tomatoes and calls of blasphemer) The show always worked best when there was real tension in Syds life. With Rambaldi done with, with an engagement to Vaughn and her family situation mostly settled.... where was her tension going to come from? Bam. Danny is dead and her world is rocked and it forces her to see things in a new light. Bam. Irina is alive, this forces her to re-think her family dynamic Bam. She loses 2 years and her boyfriend is married. She has to deal with working with them daily. Bam. She has a Sister and her mothers dead. Season 5, Bam....Vaughn is believed to be a double agent and is killed before she can marry him AND have his child. talk about messing a person up mentally. Dealing with the loss of trust, grief of death, and the birth of a baby Holy felgercarb!
[post="1467142"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

I'll stand there and duck from the tomatoes with you when I say, "I agree!"
Well, if Vaughn didn't die, the tension would come from what ever Vaughn tells Sydney. And I think that after sometime (or maybe the next time Sydney falls off a train and Vaughn comes to the rescue :rolleyes: ), Sydney will forgive him. That's not as much story as having Vaughn die could create. I know a lot of people are mad because the writers keep "toying" with our minds, but that's the reason I love watching this show. Which is also why I'm a bit upset from clicking in to this thread and spoiling myself. Maybe we can create a little pop up that askes, "are you sure?" :lol:

And I don't think rambaldi is neccesarily done with. I hope that's not the end! It doesn't seem big enough. Oh and a little reading from the Alias magazine tells something different.

Ribbit2937 said:
I also usually just lurk... but this compelled me to post about how this bothers me, personally.

While I am a HUGE MV fan... yup, saw Monster-In-Law the day it came out- the simple fact he is suppesedly killed off doesn't upset me.  I do not know the man personally, so I have a hard time taking offense on his behalf, wrong as actions potentially are.

And as for the beauracratic business reasons potentially behind it, those are unfortunate but always there too.  They have affected in an adverse way every TV show (and there aren't many) I have ever liked.  However, not my business either.

It isn't even the new characters because I also enjoy Balthazar Getty, although I understand that on Alias the richness of the story is created by history between the characters... its why some loved Will and Irina and hated Lauren...

What angers me is the story.  I was SO EXCITED to see how that car crash played out; it seemed the most exciting, potential ridden plot line to emerge in a while, and without over the top Rambaldi to boot!!!  MV could have finally had something to sink his teeth into and it disappoints me that with his death the story goes on without him.  I think the story will suffer because of like him or hate him, Vaughn's presence was the only thing that would give the story immediacy rather than make it a post-mordem investigation of sorts.  There are plenty of crime procedurals for that.

The story is where TPTB are 100% accountable to fans of Alias.  And, although I know I will see it through to the end, the story is the biggest failure here.
[post="1466348"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

You have made some really good points. I do agree S5 could have finally given MV a really good story. From what we've heard, that story will still be there just without him. Which to me, makes totally no sense!!

^
No kidding. Whos the brains behind THAT genius idea!

"durrr...we could.... make Vaughn not vaughn and give him this really interesting stroyline and then!!!..........Duuuuurrrr. Cant think of anything. Lets just kill him off??"

*claps sarcastically*

I'm glad to see the story from the NY Post was picked up by some newspapers. Entertainment Tonight even did a story on it and from what I've read, the story was picked up by newspapers and sites overseason. I read on another site that the story was in an Australian paper!

Wonder if TPTB at ABC and Alias are aware of what's going on?

I really think that everyone is just very nervous about how this is going to play out because bottomline these are some major changes to the format of alias new characters, episodes w/out Jen, a baby, etc. it could definitely have a major pay off or it could be disastrous. I'm optimistic though...

As for the Vaughn situation, me being the optimist, I have a feeling that ABC is not confirming anything because they are going to pull the ever popular "nobody ever really dies the first time" move with him. So they don't want to say whether he is going or staying because then they would be ruining a major plot device. Like maybe he does "die" but he is actually only in hiding because now his real identity has been revealed but then boom he is back 15 episodes later or maybe he just reappears in the last episode. I mean if you think about it the S4 season finale was essentially the death of Michael Vaughn because he revealed the truth that that wasn't even his real name.

and you never know maybe that funeral was weiss's isn't he leaving in a dramatic fashion?

IMO though if this is the last season of alias I do want vartan at least in the last episode, because as pathetic as this sounds syd and vaughn should be together at least for me to be satisfied

I find it a little odd that both Vaughn and Weiss are set to die in the first few episodes... It is a little wham bam thank you mam for my taste... But at this point I have to speculate that maybe one of them doesn't die. I just think it would be strange if they both died sort of at the same time. But maybe that is just me. My guess would be that Vaughn is not going to be dead, just 'away'... somewhere or how. This conflicts with what we have heard, but... oh well. Pure speculation.

lovetolaugh1362 said:
I really don't see why everyone is taking this to be absolutely true. We've been fed so many false spoilers in the past, this won't be the first (or fifth) or last one, if it turns out to be not true. I really don't think ABC or Alias would shoot themselves in the leg like this, it just doesn't make sense, and it certainly seems ludicrous that they'd allow it released on a fansite before an official statement. This entire thing just sounds very, very fishy to me.
[post="1467257"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Agreed. (y)

Back