In Reverse

Chapter 5: True Motives

A.N. This chapter is a little slow. I know. But the next few should be really good. I haven’t typed them yet, but I’ve got some great ideas (I think). If you’ve got any suggestions, please let me know.
P.S. Kudos to Descena for the title…

Last time:

“Syd, everything is fine. The baby is fine. The wound wasn’t too deep. Don’t worry. Um, Julian should be here any minute, so I should be going.”

“No, Vaughn, wait. Thank you, for everything.” She smiled.

“Your welcome.” He said and smiled back, as he walked out of the room.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Vaughn left the room and Syd watched the door close behind him. As she watched his black jacket disappear from her view in the small window in her hospital door, she sunk down into the hospital bed and pulled the blanket over her shoulders. She leaned her chin on her knuckles and thought: I know in my heart that I still love him and that he still loves me. But I also love Julian. Right? Of course I do. We’re married. I wouldn’t have married him if I didn’t love him….

Syd’s thoughts were interrupted by Julian barging through the door. “Syd, are you okay?” he asked as he sat down in the chair next to Syd’s bed.

“Ya. I’m fine. And so is the baby.” She said, with a forced smile.

“You and the baby. You’re both fine. For sure?” he asked, genuinely worried.

“We are both fine.” She said. “Everything’s okay. The doctor said I can leave tomorrow. He’s only keeping me here overnight for observation. Everything is fine.” She said, with a smile.

Julian put his hands on his cheek and took a deep breath. “What happened? How’d you get shot?” he asked.

“Um, Vaughn and I were sent to Venice, as you know, to intercept a deal between the Covenant and a Third party. The Covenant never showed and we followed Lauren Reed into a back room. We were interrogating a Covenant agent when Lauren burst in and shot me.”

“So Lauren shot you?” Julian asked, getting a little mad.

“Ya. Who did you think shot me?” she asked a little confused.

“Um, I don’t know what I thought. Never mind.” He said.

“Okay.” She said as the doctor walked into the room.

“Agent Bristow, you are very lucky. The bullet didn’t go too deep. You lost very little blood and no major harm was inflicted on you, or your child. All you have to do is regularly bandage your wound and apply a disinfectant cream to it.” the doctor said.

“Thank you doctor.” Syd said quietly.

The doctor walked toward the door and turned around. “Oh, and get some sleep.” He said.

Julian turned to Syd. “Well, on that note, I think I should let you get some rest. Jack is sending me to get some information about the Covenant from one of my old contacts. I might be away for a few days. Will you be okay? Should I push it off for a few days?” he asked.

“No, no. You go. I’ll be fine.” Julian looked at her unsure. “Really. I’ll be fine. Go.” She said.

“Okay. I’ll see you in a few days then?” he asked.

“Ya. For sure.” She said.

Julian bent over and kissed her on the forehead. “I love you.”

“You too.” Syd said, with another forced smile.

Julian walked out of the room and left the hospital. In the parking lot, he pulled out his cell phone and dialed a series of numbers. He put the phone to his ear. “Julian. Nice of you to call.” Said Lauren Reed, who was on the other end of the line.

“You said she wasn’t going to be hurt.” He said with a twinge of anger in his voice. “She wasn’t.” Lauren said, very calm.

“You shot her! I call that harming someone!” he shouted. “You can’t kill her. We need her!”

“I know. And I wasn’t trying to kill her. A gunshot wound to the arm is not fatal. I just needed a distraction. She’s fine isn’t she?” Lauren asked.

“Yes, she is. But if she wasn’t-”

“But she is, Julian. Don’t think of the worst. Now, I have to go-”

“Wait. Jack is sending me to one of my former contacts. He wants information on the Covenant.” Julian said.

“Well, take care of it then.” She said, and hung up the phone.

Shnib, the wholestory is really good and i really like it!!!! its way different then wat we thought of, but now it is really good! hurry and type some more!!!! AR

he is a sneaky little....(i'm not going to continue that thought.) great updates. sorry about not reviewing. rl's been crazy.
Aliaschick347

Chapter 6: Explosive Events

Syd sat in the front seat of Vaughn’s Silver Honda CRV, staring out the window. As the scenery outside blurred past, Syd thought of what had happened in the past few days. Vaughn’s coming back, the mission in Venice and her getting shot in the arm. Now, Vaughn was driving her home, where she would probably be held captive until her father felt it was safe for her to come back to work.

“Syd?” Vaughn asked. Syd, a little startled, slightly jumped. “Oh, sorry.” Vaughn said when he realized he had startled her.

“It’s okay Vaughn. I was kinda out of it.” Syd said with a small smile.

“Are you okay? Y-you’re not yourself.” Vaughn said quietly.

“Would you be fine and dandy just after being shot in the arm?” Syd shot back, causing Vaughn to sink into his seat, slightly scared. “I’m sorry. I don’t know where that came from.” Syd said, embarrassed.

“It’s okay. You’re probably a little jumpy after what happened.” He said.

“I know, but I didn’t get like this back when I was part of SD-6. I was fine after getting shot. I dealt with it.” she said, frustrated.

“Syd, it’s okay. Don’t worry about it.” Vaughn said, trying to reassure her.

“No Vaughn! It’s not okay.” She said loudly. “I can’t keep working if every time I get hurt or something happens I freak out. What happened to me?!”

“You got pregnant.” He said quietly. Syd, not expecting this, turned to him, surprised. “You’re responsible for another person now, not just yourself. You are allowed to be more cautious. Syd, this is very normal.”

Syd took a deep breath and sunk into her seat. “When did you learn to be so good at that?” She smiled.

“I don’t know.” He said, with a small laugh as they pulled up to her house. Vaughn stopped the car and waited for Syd to leave.

Syd was about to open the door, when she quickly turned around. “Do you want to come inside for a cup of coffee?” she asked, a little uncertain if what she just did was okay.

“Sure.” Vaughn said with a smile.

-----------------------------------------------------

Syd brought the two mugs of coffee she was holding her hands to the coffee table in the living, near the couch Vaughn was sitting in and sat down next to him.

“Vaughn, do you have any idea of what happened to you the past two years?” Syd asked.

“No. I don’t.” Vaughn answered.

“No memories? No nothing?” Syd asked.

“Nothing. I-I don’t know how I’m going to figure out what happened to me.”

“Vaughn, I’m sorry for bringing it up. I don’t want to make you frustrated.” Syd said.

“No, don’t apologize. I-I’ve…been asking…myself….that…lately.” Vaughn said, as their eyes met and he forgot what he was saying. “I-I….” Vaughn started but stopped when he pulled Syd into a passionate kiss.

Against her will, Syd pulled away. “You should go.” She whispered. She stood up and showed Vaughn to the door. “I’m sorry. This was a mistake.” She said and she closed the door. She leaned against the door and sighed.
--------------------------------------------------

Syd went to work two days later, against her father’s wishes. Expecting Julian to return from his mission that day, Syd figured a briefing would be called and came to the office. At around noon, Julian came into the office, carrying a disk. Syd walked up to him.

“How was your trip?” she asked.

“It was fine. How are you? I’m great.” She lied. She really felt like felgercarb. Ever since she and Vaughn kissed, she’d felt all jumbled up inside, like she couldn’t think straight.

Jack walked up to them. “There is going to be a briefing in 5 minutes.” He said plainly and walked away.

Syd and Julian both headed for the briefing room and took their seats. A few minutes later, the rest of the team walked in and Dixon stood up.

“Julian’s mission was a success.” Dixon started. But Julian didn’t hear what came next….

**Flashback**

Julian walked into the back alley and met Lauren. She handed him a disk. “This should keep the CIA busy for a while.” She said.

“What does that mean?” he asked.

“This will surely help you and Sydney with your issues.” She said.

“What issues?” Julian asked.

“These.” She said with a grin on her face as she kissed him passionately. “I’ll see you soon, Julian.”

**End of Flashback**

“Alright. Once we find what’s on the disk, we’ll meet again and plan our next move.” Dixon finished and everyone got up to leave.

Each agent went to their respective desks. Vaughn sat at his desk and spaced out for a minute. Thinking about his kiss with Syd. He suddenly heard a loud BOOM! He turned around and saw Syd’s computer was in pieces. He looked around the room and saw Syd lying on the floor at the other side of the room, unconscious. He ran over to her and sat down next to her badly burnt and bloody body.

**I hope you liked it. Please review if you have anything to say. I’ll try to update soon, but I’m starting school this week and have a lot of work to do. Thanks for reading!

Back