In the Blink of an Eye

Aww she's pregnant!! :love:
-I'm glad Vaughn remained calm and figured out a plan...he's too perfect!!
And although they are made I'm glad his parents are supportive!!!
-I can't wait to find out how Jack reacts!!! Thanks for the pm!!

awww shes pregnant
so glad vaughns parents took the news well
hope jack doesnt flip out too much
loved it
thanx for the pm
cant wait for more

ooooooo that was great!!
i cant believe things are moving so fast between them! i hope that they are able to stay together and still love each other no matter what! i also hope that Jack doesnt react TO badly to there news!! :D
thanks for the PM
update soon :smiley:

Wow. Five? yes? excellent updates. i really missed this story. a lot happened since the time i last read. syd and vaughn got married and then sydney is now pregnant...jack is not going to take it well, but maybe he'll be like amiele and bill. *gets hopes up* Thanks for the PM's.

-erin :smiley:

Welcome new reader! :smiley:

Wow, I totally love all of your reactions. Thanks!!! Anyways, here is the next chapter as promised.

Recap:
Two days later we bid goodbye to Bill and Amelia, who sent us off with a gift certificate to Babies R Us and a scrapbook to record the pregnancy. We promised to keep in touch and boarded the train to LA. Six hours later, we were prepared to meet our doom.

Chapter 7

On the train ride, we had decided to just be upfront and tell my dad that night, so we played the honesty card and faced our mistakes head on. Plus, we figured if he kicked us out, we’d just go back to Vegas and start our preparations.

When we disembarked the train, I saw my dad waiting for us and we walked over.
“Daddy!” I squealed and ran up to hug him.
“Hello, Sweetheart,” he said, hugging me. “And you must be Michael,” he said, shaking his hand. “I’ve heard some nice things about you.” Michael smiled and whispered to me that he wouldn’t want to be so nice later. I quickly poked him and we headed to the car.

After we showed Michael the house and chatted nicely for a while, I decided to just get it over with.
“Daddy, I need to tell you something really important so can you please sit down?” I blurted out quickly, taking both men by surprise.
“All right. What is it, Sweetheart?”

“Okay. Just…just let me talk and don’t say a word until I’m done, okay?” He nodded and I launched into the story Michael told his parents, just a little more abridged and with a much rapid pace. I watched my dad’s face the entire time. He showed no expression, not even during the marriage part. Taking a deep breath after that portion of the story, I launched into the pregnancy part, followed by our plan and ended with me saying I would postpone school a few years until I could pay for it myself if he disowned me. I also told him how we told the Vaughn’s and how they took the news. I signaled that I was done by sitting down, and definitely not touching Michael in any way.

My dad’s reaction was interesting and surprising, to say the least. First, he got up and paced a few times. Second, he rubbed his head. Third, he sat down again. Finally, he spoke.

“I’m not going to yell at either of you. And Sydney, I’m not going to disown you, as you thought I would. We just started a better relationship. Do you think I want to lose you again? You already walked out on me once. That being said, firstly, I mirror the Vaughn’s disappointment at your immature lack of judgment with the marriage and the pregnancy. However, I know both of you are responsible enough to use protection and that sometimes it isn’t so helpful. This obviously being one of those times. Second, I also agree with the Vaughn’s that you both have come up with a reasonable plan, which I applaud the maturity of. Especially you, Michael, in knowing the importance of transferring schools. Next, Sydney, I obviously want you to have an education and I also will keep paying for school since you have already worked out a plan to not fall behind by taking summer classes. Finally, if the baby is a boy, I expect it to be named after me, somehow.” With that, he smiled. I sat with my jaw wide open. Since I didn’t move, Michael jumped up immediately and stuck out his hand.

“Thank you, Sir. I appreciate your consideration for our circumstances and willingness to help Sydney pay for school. I promise I’ll treat her and the baby with the best of care and we will name the baby after you, boy or girl.”

“Michael, you don’t have to be so formal. I’m not going to bite, despite what Sydney may have said about me. I promised her I’d change and I’d take this as a very big change, huh, Syd?”
I was still sitting there in shock. Slowly I pinched myself to make sure I wasn’t dreaming. Nope, it was real. I slowly got to my feet and walked over to my dad. As soon as I reached him, I broke down in tears and threw my arms around him.

“Daddy, I’m so sorry I disappointed you,” I wailed, clinging to him. Both he and Michael looked shocked, since Jack didn’t even tell Sydney she was a disappointment.
“Um, Sydney…you’re not, Sweetheart. Yes, you’ve made some interesting choices, but your maturity isn’t disappointing me.” He kissed my cheek. “Have you seen a doctor yet?”

“No…we just figured it out a few days ago at the Vaughn’s.”
“Okay, well I know you’ll find a doctor in Las Vegas, but I’d feel more comfortable if you went to one here over the next few days.” I nodded and left the room to make a phone call.

Michael and my dad made some small talk while I was gone. “Hmm…I don’t believe I saved any of Sydney’s baby things once Laura died, but I can check around our storage. I might have a few mementos lying around.
“Thank you,” Michael was saying as I walked back in the room.

“Okay, they were able to fit me in tomorrow morning,” I said. My dad nodded. “Okay, can we go eat now? All this stress has left me quite hungry.” We all laughed and headed out. I thanked god for giving me that small miracle I needed as we drove to the restaurant.

>o<

The next morning, Michael and I headed to the doctor’s office. She confirmed I was about one month along and the baby would arrive in late October. After loading me up with various pamphlets, pre-natal vitamins, and some names of doctors in Las Vegas, we headed back to my dad’s, only to find that he went to work for a few hours.

We decided to relax by the pool. Lying there in the black bikini that Michael fell in love with me in, I had a thought. “Ugh, I’m not going to be able to wear this soon,” I said sadly. “I’m going to be a big, fat blob.”
Michael laughed and I gave him a dirty look. “No you won’t, Baby. You’re gonna be beautiful.” I looked skeptical. “Sweetie, you’re going to have our baby growing in you. That’s really cool, and it’s going to make you more beautiful. Not fat.” He got up off his chair and kneeled down next to me, placing a few kisses on my stomach. “Hi little baby…you’re not going to make Mommy fat now, are you?”

“Michael, cut it out,” I giggled.
“Did you make an appointment to meet a doctor in Las Vegas?”
“Yeah. It’s next Tuesday.”
“I wish I could be there.” I looked at him.
“Me too, but you will be starting in the middle of May. And those will be more important because we should be able to find out if it is a boy or a girl.” I paused. “Please tell me you don’t want it to be a surprise…” I trailed off.

“Well, on one hand it would be fun to be surprised but if you want to know, it’s okay. We can do that too.”
“I do. I couldn’t stand not knowing. We can keep it a surprise from everyone else though, if you want.”
“Okay, whatever you want.” He grinned and took my hand. “We’re gonna be okay, Syd. I know it.”
“I hope so.” He gave me an odd look. “Michael, think about it. We’ve only known each other since August and haven’t really LIVED together. We got married on an impulse and pregnant by mistake. Don’t we seem like a disaster waiting to happen?”

“Well, aren’t you Little Miss Optimistic,” he teased. “Sydney, I love you. I love you so much that I think we are worth the fight for whatever comes our way. Don’t you?”
I stared at him for a minute before breaking into a soft smile. “Yes. I love how you are so strong about everything.”

He shrugged. “I fight for what I believe in. And I believe in us. And I told you that I’ll always be here for you.” He leaned over and kissed me, hard.
“I really do love you, Michael.”
“I know you do.” I rolled my eyes and we decided to get some exercise in the pool before meeting my father for dinner.

The next few days passed and before we knew it, my dad was bringing us to the airport. Before he left, he shook Michael’s hand and hugged me tightly.
“Syd, if you need anything, just call me, okay, Sweetheart?” I nodded. He walked away, also leaving us with a gift.

“What did we get?” Michael asked like a small child.
“Uhh,” I said, opening the envelope. “Oh my god! Well, we got another gift certificate to Babies R Us and he is giving us a $1,000 savings bond for the baby.”
“WHAT?!”

“Yeah. Talk about surprises.” Michael picked me up and swung me in a circle.
“This is so great!” He said, putting me down. “I’m so happy our parents are being so accepting. Maybe we should wear our rings now? I mean, who cares if people know if we’re married or not now. We’re having a baby!”

I smiled. “Sure, why not? But I still want to have a real wedding someday. And…” I paused. “I think we should invite our parents to Las Vegas during the summer so they can meet and see that we are in control. Maybe June? Hopefully we’ll have our two bedroom apartment by then.”
He nodded. “I think that’s a great idea, Sweetheart. I’ll talk to my parents tonight when I get home.”
“I’ll bring it up with my dad. Oh, and I’ll thank him for the gift but since it was so generous, would you mind also giving him a quick call to say thank you?”

“Not at all, but I have a better idea. How about we go check in and then call him together on my cell phone?” I agreed and we checked in and headed to the United Airline’s area in the terminal. Luckily our gates were next to each other and mine only left twenty minutes before Michael’s.
After grabbing seats, Michael handed me his phone and I quickly dialed my dad’s number.

“Jack Bristow,” came the gruff greeting.
“Hi, Daddy. It’s me and Michael.”
“Hello,” I heard the smirk in his voice.
“Dad, thank you so much for your gift. That was really, really generous of you.”
“It’s no problem.”

“Well, it was really nice, Jack. Thank you again,” Michael broke in. “Actually, we had an idea. We thought it might be nice for you to meet my parents and figured sometime in June would be good for everyone to come to Las Vegas?” I smiled at him for being brave and asking my dad and gently pressed a kiss onto his hand.
“That sounds fine, Michael. When you have the dates settled, let me know and I’ll make sure my schedule is cleared.”
“Will do.”
“All right. You two have safe flights.”
“Bye!” We both said and clicked the phone shut.

“Now we should call your parents,” I said. “We may as well get it over with now.” Michael agreed and dialed his parents’ number. We spoke to them and they were excited about the June plans as well. After hanging up with the Vaughn’s, we savored the last hour together and casually started to throw a few baby names around.

“I really think if we have a girl, her name should be Jaclyn,” Michael stated firmly.
“Really?” I gaped at him. “We can just use her middle name to honor my dad.”
“No. He didn’t yell at you or kill me, Syd. He really made an effort to change for you and I really think it should be Jaclyn.”
I smiled. “Okay. But then I think her middle name should be Faith.”
“Jaclyn Faith. I like that. What made you pick it?”
“Because you have so much faith in us that we will be okay.” He leaned over and kissed me.
“Settled. So what about a boy?”
“Ummm…Preston Jack?”
“I’m not crazy about Preston, Syd.”
“Jackson Chase?”
“Hey! I like that!” We smiled at each other and then heard my flight being called. I looked down at my hands.

“I guess I should go.” Michael pulled me up and into a big hug, kissing me a few times.
“I love you, Sweetie. Take care of yourself and the baby.” I felt one of his hands slide onto my stomach, gently caressing it. “If you are up sick in the middle of the night I want you to call me. I’m serious. You wake me up. I want to be there with you. Vomit and all.”
I laughed. He always knew how to make me feel better. “I’ll hold you to that.” I kissed him again. “See you in like, seven weeks, right?”
“You bet.” He kissed my nose.
“Remember, don’t talk about the baby…I want to wait until we’re safely past the three month mark with first pregnancies. So you CAN’T tell Eric.”
“I know. I’m going to tell him right before I leave. He’s going to need to know why I’m not coming back to school.”
“Okay, deal. I really have to go now. I’ll talk to you tonight.”

“Okay. Bye, Baby,” he whispered into my ear. I let go of him and walked to my gate. Part of me couldn’t help but realize that Michael was more excited about our situation than I was. My whole life had changed in the blink of an eye. If I hadn’t booked that Valentine’s Day trip on a whim, I wouldn’t be pregnant. But then again, Michael wouldn’t be moving to Las Vegas either. I guess for every down, there was an up.

>o<

Once back in Las Vegas I was busy with work, classes and a small exercise regimen I got myself into in order to control how much weight I would gain. Luckily, my morning sickness wasn’t too awful and it usually occurred at times when I was at home.
I talked with my leasing office about two bedroom apartments and they said they would have a number of them available in May. I put my name on the list and told them I would definitely be interested. Luckily, since I wasn’t a delinquent resident and always paid the rent on time, I was high priority on the list.

One day in April I was lounging on the couch, reading a textbook, when my cell phone rang.
“Hello?”
“Hi, Sydney. It’s Amelia, Michael’s mother. He gave me your number…I hope that’s all right.” I sat up straight. It was my mother-in-law.
“Oh, yeah, sure. No problem. How are things?”
“Things are fine. How are you feeling?”
“Not bad, actually. Just keeping busy. The doctor said I was doing just fine.”

“Oh, good. So I actually have a few reasons why I am calling…” She trailed off.
I laughed. “Go on.”
“Well, my book club is taking a little trip to Las Vegas, so I wanted to know if we could get together while I am there. I know you are busy, but maybe?”
“Sure. I’d love that. When will you be here?” She told me the dates that were in about two weeks. “No problem. I know I have some time. Do you want to come to my place or meet somewhere?”

“Well, I’d like to see where you live, if you don’t mind.”
“Not at all. That’s fine.” We set a time for her to come over. “Do you want me to make you guys reservations at Emeril’s?”
“Could you, Sydney?”
“Sure. It should be a problem. I’ll check out the schedule later on and make a reservation for you all. Then I’ll let you know what night. How many of there are you?”
“There are eight of us going. Thank you, Sweetie. I’m really glad you want to see me and all.”
“Don’t be silly. I mean you are my mother-in-law. I’m happy to spend time with you. Plus, you can tell me all about Michael as a baby.”

She chuckled. “I definitely have some stories…” After chatting for a while longer, I hung up feeling good. It was nice having a mother figure around again. Then I picked up my phone once more to call Michael.
“Are you okay?” He asked frantically as he picked up his phone.
“Uh, yeah, Honey. I’m fine…”
“Okay, good.” He sighed. “Usually we talk at night so I didn’t expect a call in the middle of the day so I thought you might be sick or something.”
“Aww, Baby. Thanks for worrying but I’m fine. Actually I just got off the phone with your mom…”
“Oh, no.” I laughed and told him about her coming to Vegas and us getting together. “You can’t do that, Syd! She’s gonna tell you… things…about me.”
“That’s the point, Baby.” He whined a bit more as I laughed at his expense. “Okay, I have to go get ready for work. You still want me to call you at like two in the morning?”
“Of course. Go easy on yourself, Sweetie.”

“I’m fine. Plus, I’ve been extra, extra nice and happy with my patrons lately and I’ve been getting these amazing tips. OH. I forgot to tell you. I put the baby’s savings bond in the bank under the name “Baby Vaughn,” which they know will be changed once he or she is born. I also started a “baby account,” which I’ve been putting some of my tips in and I figured we could use that account for the baby things.”
“That’s smart, Syd. I’m going to send a check to you to put in there from my job here, okay? I want to contribute to that too.”
“You sure?”
“Definitely. Since don’t really have as many expenses as you do I’ve saved quite a bit and I want to put some of it toward the baby.”
“Okay. I really do have to go now. Love you.” He replied and I got ready to head off to work.

When I got there I made Amelia’s reservation, making sure it was on a night I would be there to serve them. Then, I hit the mother load. A group of twelve had just been seated in my section. And not just ANY group of twelve. It was some of the cast and crew from Entourage. I just hoped they were decent tippers and not those jerk celebrity types.

I saw Dave standing and talking to them so I joined him. “And this is your waitress tonight, Sydney Bristow. I can confidently say she is my best waitress and I leave you in excellent hands. Have a great meal.” I smiled and welcomed the group and offered the specials. After taking their drink orders. I walked away and returned moments later, expertly placing their drinks in front of them.

They ended up being incredibly nice patrons and ordered incredibly expensive items, which automatically upped my gratuity. After they left, I think I came out of that meal with almost $500 in tips. I was ecstatic and definitely set that aside for “Baby Vaughn.”

“Say thank you to the nice patrons, Baby, for providing us money to care for you,” I mumbled quietly to myself as I helped clear the table. I swore I felt a slight twinge in my stomach as the bus boy was asking me if I said something. I shook my head at him and smiled…hoping the next month would pass quickly so I could finally stop keeping this secret.

A few people knew I was married because they actually inquired about the ring I had started wearing since spring break. Surprisingly, Chris and Kelly hadn’t caught on yet, and I wasn’t too anxious to bring it up either knowing that Chris would pitch a fit. The rest of my night went quickly and I hurried home to call my husband and tell him how much I made tonight.

“Shut up, seriously?” He mumbled into the phone. Poor guy, I knew he had been sleeping.
“Yeah. We’re doing pretty well over here, Honey.”
“Good, good. You okay?”
“I’m fine. Go back to sleep. I really didn’t need to call you now. I feel bad waking you up.”
“No…can’t sleep well without hearing your voice at night,” he mumbled again. I wondered if he realized he said that out loud. Regardless, it was so sweet and all the hormones floating around my body caused me to tear up. “Syd?”
“Yeah, sorry. I’m here. I love you, Baby. I’ll talk to you tomorrow.”
“Love you, sweet dreams. Sweet dreams to the little baby too.” We hung up. I loved my new family.

Two weeks went by and Amelia was due to arrive at my apartment any minute. I had cleaned and straightened up for days, making sure everything was perfect.
Finally the doorbell rang and I ran to open it. “Hi!” I squealed, hugging her.
“Hi, Honey.” She picked up a duffle bag and walked in. I looked at her, confused. She laughed.
“Don’t worry, Honey. I’m not staying here. I brought you some baby things.”
“Really?” She nodded and opened the bag as we sat on the couch.

“I know you don’t know if it is a boy or girl, but I figured I’d bring it anyway and you could use it because honestly, they outgrow everything in like, a matter of weeks and it is ridiculous to buy all new things.” I agreed. “Plus, most of the stuff can be unisex. Blue is a girl color too!” I laughed and agreed again, admitting it was my favorite color. She started pulling out clothes and toys and a few books on parenting. I thanked her and we repacked everything to set aside.

“This is an adorable apartment, Sydney. Will you two be staying here?”
“In the complex, possibly. I’ve been looking into two bedrooms. Do you want a tour?”
“Sure.”
“Great, come I’ll take you to the leasing office.” We walked over and Maura, the leasing manager, greeted me. I explained that I wanted to show my mother-in-law the model two bedroom but Maura said one was being renovated right now and gave me the keys to go look at it.
“I trust you, Sydney. Just lock up and bring the keys back when you are done.”
“Thanks!” We headed over to the apartment that was being renovated and I explained if I liked it, it was most likely going to be the one Michael and I would rent. It would be furnished in the master bedroom and living room but the rest would be up to us. Renovation meant new furniture as well.

We walked into the spacious apartment and Amelia nodded in approval. “This is very nice, Sydney. I like the complex too. Very safe, and there is a pool. I can see you and Michael starting your family here very easily.”
“I’m glad you like it.” We walked through the apartment. “I guess this would be the baby’s room.”
“It’s pretty big!” We walked through the rest of the apartment, discovering how much more it had than my current one. After locking up and bringing the key back to Maura, we retreated to my apartment and had a light lunch while talking about everything and anything. She gave me advice on what to expect with the pregnancy but added that since I was exercising, it would help immensely with energy levels.

“Well, I am determined not to gain too much weight. I’d like to get back into my lifestyle as quickly as I can after the baby is born so losing more weight than necessary would just add to the hassle.” Amelia nodded in understanding. She left around two and I got ready for work, knowing I’d be seeing her at dinner later.

~~~

“Welcome to Emeril’s, my name is Sydney and I’ll be your waitress this evening,” I said to the book club as they sat down in my section. I saw Amelia chuckle.
“What’s so funny, Amelia?” One of her friends inquired.

“Oh, this waitress…” she said, laughing again and receiving odd looks from the rest of her friends.
“You know, it’s really not nice to laugh at your waiter, Amelia, she might just spit in your food.” That woman’s comment made her laugh harder as I stood there grinning.

“If she decides to taint my food in any way, I’m sure my son will have a big problem with that,” Amelia managed to get out while still laughing. I went around to stand next to her.
“Can I get you some water?” I asked nicely. She stood up and quickly kissed my cheek.

“Sweetie, this is a surprise. You should have told me earlier that I’d see you tonight.” I shrugged in response. Finally Amelia noticed her friends staring at her and remembered her manners. “Everyone, I’d like you to meet the love of my son’s life, Sydney.” I smiled and said hello to her friends. As soon as I took everyone’s drink orders and disappeared, they all started asking Amelia questions.

“I didn’t know Michael was dating anyone.”
“How do you know her so well?”
“Was that a wedding ring I saw on her finger?”
“Michael got married? Amelia! And you didn’t invite me?”

“Ladies! Calm down.” Before she got a chance to explain any further, I returned with the drinks and handed them out, asking if anyone was ready to order. “We’ll need a few more minutes, Syd.”
“Okay, no problem.” Before I got to walk away, one of the women grabbed my hand.
“It IS a wedding ring! Amelia Vaughn. I can NOT believe you didn’t invite us to the wedding.” Amelia sighed and I noticed she was obviously flustered. I immediately felt bad.

I coughed. “Ladies, please, before accusing Amelia of anything, I’ll be up front and admit that she wasn’t even at the wedding.” Everyone sat in silence and Amelia nodded for me to continue if I wanted to. I nodded back. “Michael and I behaved like crazy college students back in January and got married without anyone else knowing. Amelia only found out last month when we went to visit her during spring break. For Michael and I, it was a way for us to remember our love over the distance. While be it impulsive, we didn’t care, and eventually we’re going to do it right when we are a little older.” After blushing for a minute, I told them I’d be back to take their orders.

“I can’t believe you didn’t set this right, Amelia. They should have gotten an annulment or something.”
“Why?” She shot back. “Look, I know it wasn’t the smartest thing for Michael and Sydney to do but they truly love each other. I saw it. Michael’s even going to transfer here to UNLV next year to be with Sydney. That is how much he loves her. You all know how badly he was dying to be in Seattle.”

Unfortunately I heard the last sentence as I was coming back. “Michael is giving up his dream school for me?” I thought as I shakily asked for their orders. After giving their orders to the chef, I told Dave I’d be back in a few moments and rushed to the bathroom.

TBC...hopefully Tuesday night my time (Eastern Standard)

PM List:

xMountineer02300844x
farliieansds225
oooRevesDouxooo
Kate_14
AliasSydney502
mnkdance963
texasalias2004
SpygirlAmy
Prediction 47
LittleNicky
Angel
NadiaSantosFan
Tubby
Mallory
Jen-Jen
Jadeygirl
sand2604
syd-157
fire*N*ice

first! finished as the pm went out. i wonder what the end bit will mean for them... the drama. haha jk, i like. thanx for the pm

Oh, Syd. Of course he'd rather be with you! Thanks for the PM, and I can't tell you how happy I am over how frequently you've been updating this. Love it!!!

I was going to complain because it would be Tuesday night, but tomorrow is Tuesday. Haha. I can't wait. I hope that Ameilla talks to her and tells her that everything is okay.

texasalias

YA I'm glad Jack was so calm and gave them such a generous amount of money!!!!
-But I really hope Syd doesn't do anything stupid becasue she thinks Vaughn is giving up his dream for her!!! She should know that Vaughn would do anything for her!!
-Can't wait for more!! I LOVE this fic!! Thanks for the pm!!

Hee hee...the name Jackson Chase reminds me of some super-suave, melodramatic movie star :P
It's still a nice name though! :blush: But I'm hoping it's a girl...I like the name Jaclyn. French names are cool. :cool:

Back