In the Wake of Yesterday

this is a really interesting story... it's really different...

but it is really good, please continue soon,

and when you do can you please send me a pm???

thanks,
ABV

A/N: Here's the next chapter and the Sydney/Vaughn fateful meeting. Things may seem off to a bumpy start, but not to worry. People from different sides with different viewpoints usually clash when they first meet ;)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

February 27, 2047
Desanca Desert, Dreas, Contiago

Sand_Dunes.jpg

Climbing from his damaged jet, he walked for a while, trying to find some kind of civilization to rest. Remembering what the Captain had told him about the desert being nothing but ruins now, it looked just about right. Over a large sand dune, he spotted what once looked like a lively city, now crushed and burnt to the ground. It made him feel worse than he already did.

“I need to get out of the sun,” he said, taking his shirt off and using it as a turban. It helped a little bit, but what he really needed was shade and water. If he could just find one or the other, he could wait until the Argyle located his jet. He had sent out a signal, but with such interference in the area, it would take a while for them to pick up anything.

“I think I saw some caves back where my ship crashed,” he remembered, starting to head back.

Continuing to walk and noticing that he wasn’t getting any closer to his ship, he sighed. He must have been lost in the desert, and night would be falling soon.

“I don’t know how much longer I can keep on like this,” he mumbled, dragging his feet in the stand.

They were trained for such conditions, but training was nothing like the real thing. He couldn’t imagine why people would fight so hard for such a useless piece of land. It was hotter than hell, surrounded nothing but sand, not a lot of water, and could be made into a potential battleground. It just didn’t seem worth the fight.

Suddenly, the heavens smiled down upon him as he dragged himself over another sand dune and spotted what looked like a tiny river. The Great River must have reached even the hottest and most secluded provinces. It did flow through both Contiago and Merchadia.

“Thank the Lord!” he said, running over to it.

He reached the edge of the river, splashing cool water on his face and soaking his shirt. It almost seemed to good to be true and he felt much better than before.

“Now, if I could just find some sort of shelter, I’d be set.”

Cupping his hands and gathering water in them, he drank greedily as if he’d never drink again. That was when he opened his eyes and found something very peculiar drifting downstream.

“Is that… a person?” he asked, squinting and trying to get a closer look.

Sure enough, it was a person. I was a girl, coming closer to him with every passing second, “I’ve got you!”

Jumping into the river, he began swimming upstream to get her. The current was strong, pushing against him, but he used all of his energy to fight back. He grabbed the girls arm, swimming over to the edge and pulling her on land.

“Are you all right?” he asked, looking down at her.

She was completely soaked, her wet brown locks sprawled out across her face. She was younger than him, a teenager, but still as beautiful as a grown woman who had fully matured. He looked down at her chest and stomach, noticing they weren’t rising.

“Hey,” he said, listening for her breath, “Hey, come on!”

She wasn’t breathing. He quickly jumped into action, opening her airway and giving her two breaths, before starting compressions of her chest, “You can’t die in a miserable place like this!”

Giving her two more breaths, he continued with his compressions. He hoped she would start breathing soon enough. He pushed harder, more determined than ever to make her breathe.

Giving her one more breath, she started to cough, which meant she was breathing. Coughing up more water, he let out a sigh of relief and fell back next to her to catch his own breath and recover from all the excitement.

“Are you okay?” he asked, leaning over her, as her eyes fluttered open.

A second later, her open hand made connection with his face, slapping him hard. He grunted in pain and rubbed it, as she quickly crawled away from him on her back.

“What was that for?” he asked, still rubbing the red mark.

“Serves you right, you perv! Trying to take advantage of my while I was unconscious, were you? I guess you Contiagian soldiers really are sleaze balls!” she accused him.

“No! No! I wasn’t trying anything! I saved you! You were drowning and then you weren’t breathing and I saved you!” he tried to defend himself.

She glared at him, not knowing whether or not to truth him, “Humph! Stay away from me!”

She got up and started walking away, in no particular direction.

“Jesus, what a self-absorbed little snob,” he thought, standing up, “But… wait! How does she know I’m a soldier? What did she mean?”

Flinging his shirt over his shoulders, he ran after her, “Hey, wait up!”

She stopped, turning to face him, “Do you have a problem?”

“Uh… not that I know of,” he replied, stopping a few feet in front of her.

“Then leave me alone! Its bad enough I’m lost out here, I don’t want to be stuck with a ruthless soldier like you!” she snapped.

“Ruthless? I saved your life and you slapped me! You’re the only ruthless one! What are you doing in a place like this?”

“We were attacked. A jet blasted us and I got knocked out. Next thing I know, you’re on top of me! Imagine my confusion!”

That did seem I little wild and he could understand where she was coming from. Wait… a jet? It must have been him! But he was shooting at the Merchadian unit. Did that mean she was…?

“Hey, how did you know I was a soldier?” he asked.

“Its pretty obvious,” she replied, pointing towards his shirt, “You’re wearing the uniform, you idiot.”

That was right. But, she wasn’t wearing a uniform. Did that mean she wasn’t a Merchadian? Maybe she was a spy, in disguise. Or maybe she was a rebel.

“You seem to hate us Contiagians, from the way you spoke down to me,” he said, becoming much more serious, “Are you a Merchadian?”

“N… no. I’m… neither,” she said, holding back.

He could tell there was more to the story than she was letting on. What was she hiding? Why was she so hostile towards him.

“Then, you’re a rebel?” he asked.

“That’s correct,” she replied.

“Then why do you hate us Contiagians so much? Why not the Merchadians?”

“I do hate them, all right? I hate all of them! They’re both to stupid to see past their guns!” she exclaimed.

He smiled, “That much is probably true.”

This caught her off guard and her mouth opened slightly. He looked more closely at her, her eyes a deep brown and sparkling with surprise and confusion, “Then why are you here?”

He didn’t expect that kind of question, “What do you mean?”

“If you agree that they’re idiots… then why do you fight for them?” she repeated.

“What choice do I have? What choice do any of us have but to fight?” he answered her question with his own.

She was silent. He knew the rebels must have hated both sides for what they did to their land. He wouldn’t blame her being angry with him. She looked towards the sky and he mirrored her action, wondering what they were looking for.

“We’re far from the battle site and I’m assuming nobody’s close at this moment,” she said, “Not to mention, night should fall soon, and it gets significantly colder. We should find shelter.”

“I saw some caves back where my jet crash-landed,” he said, trying to help her out.

“So you were the one who shot at me!” she said, her anger coming back.

“No, I shot at the Merchadian units, which begs the question, what were you doing on them?” he asked, throwing her own skepticism back at her.

“I… I was captured,” she admitted.

“The Merchadians don’t just capture enemies. They kill them. This is a war and they are ruthless, so why did they spare you?” he asked, growing more curious about who she really was.

“That’s not true! The Merchadians… they’re not that bad!”

“Why are you defending them! How can you hold such bitterness towards Contiago, when Merchadia is just as responsible? How can you call us monsters, then try to defend them?” he shouted, his anger now seeping through the surface.

She held back the urge to cry, but to a stranger like him, he would never know the difference, “Lets just drop it, okay? Nothings going to change.”

That was true. Plus, they needed to work together if they wanted to get out of this one, “You say your jet landed by some caves? Judging from the river and the caves you described, I think I have an idea of where we might be. I know the geography of the desert pretty well, so lets go find your jet.”

They walked for an hour in complete silence, not one bothering to bring up the fact that he was a soldier and she was a rebel. She wanted to pretend like it wasn’t true and that she didn’t owe a Contiagian her life, and he wanted to pretend that this girl, this aggressive but beautiful girl, wasn’t really the enemy in disguise.

----------

February 28, 3047
The Merchadian Palace, Merchadia

Merchadian%20Palace.jpg

“Your majesty!” Sloane said, barging into the King’s chambers.

“Any word?” he asked, his hopes still up.

“A Merchadian ground unit disobeyed your orders to retreat and tried to ambush the Contiagian soldiers being transported from Eep in the Desanca Desert!” he explained.

“What? What the hell were they thinking? Who’s in charge of that unit and what’s their position?” the King asked, his rage coming to a boil.

“The unit was eliminated by the rebels, with some help from the Contiagian fleet,” Sloane replied, “But that’s not all. Before they were eliminated, a group of soldiers reported seeing her.”

He stood from his chair, in shock. How the hell did she get to the desert? Why the hell was she in a desert? And why was she out of the country? What was that foolish girl planning?

“They said she was fighting with the rebels,” Sloane added.

“You said that the unit was eliminated,” he said, fear starting to overcome him, “Does that mean…”

“We’re not sure. They said in the attack, they lost track of her and she was blasted away. Nobody knows where she is now, or if she’s alive. If she is, then she’s stranded somewhere in the desert,” Sloane answered.

He started to prey that she was alive and unharmed, giving his next order, “Send our units to the desert to retrieve her!”

“I’m afraid that’s not a good idea, my Lord,” Sloane objected, “If the Contiagians pick up a large movement of Merchadian units in the desert, they’re going to assume we’re planning an attack. They’ll send their soldiers and all hell will break loose. We could lose her if that happens.”

The King let out a frustrated sigh, knowing his advisor was right. But he couldn’t just let her continue in the desert. What if something was wrong with her? She could be killed. He just couldn’t have that.

“I have contacts in the desert,” Sloane suggested, “I can have them keep an eye open and search for her.”

“Do that,” the King replied, before storming out of the room.

As he did, Sloane couldn’t help but smile at the King’s anger. After all, it was him that sent the fleet to the desert to annihilate the Eep soldiers. Finding the girl was an unexpected surprise. If she died, it didn’t really matter, but she was worth far more to him alive.

“I’ll take care of everything.”

sloane is such an evil bastard!

but yay syd and vaughn meet
i bet syd's mom died in the nuke attack all those years ago and thats why she hates the Contiago
update soon!

ok vaughn without a top on :hot:
omg
droolworthy

and sloane evil....like thats a surprise i hate the evil little twirp!

hay are you going to update soon???

because i love this story and i woud hate to see it turn in to one of those fics that just gets forgoten about...

anyway please pm me... i cant remember if you do pm's or not :blush:

thanks,
ABV

Back