Indy 4 might not please the fans?

Tim

Creative Writer
You could come into this story with no memory of who is directing it, read it then see the directors name and say, "why am I not surprised?"

It's going to be different, that's the summary. Not like the first three, like something different. Will we like it? Will we go into it predetermined by 19 years of imagining what the new film must be like?

Lucas: 'Fans may not like 'Indy 4''

Friday, March 21 2008, 18:54 GMT
By Simon Reynolds, Entertainment Reporter
160x120_new_indiana_jones_logo.jpg

George Lucas has revealed that Indiana Jones fans may get "bent out of shape" over upcoming movie Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

Speaking to Entertainment Weekly, Lucas said: "We know that for the fans it won't be the movie that they have been making in their minds for the last 19 years, so they all get bent out of shape.

"It's funny. I think it's funnier than the other ones, and it's exciting. So it's got all the stuff that all the other ones have. And Harrison's great in it."

The producer added that critics may round on the movie for not being the "Second Coming".

However, the Star Wars creator claimed he wasn't nervous about the film failing financially, but expressed doubts about whether or not it could beat Batman's box office success.

"Will it beat [The Dark Knight]? I don't know. But we'll certainly give Batman a run for their money."

Lucas admitted he didn't know if the Indiana Jones series of films would continue after this summer's franchise entry because director Steven Spielberg has got several other films lined up for the next few years.

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull opens on May 22.

Ugh... this is just confirming my fears. It's gonna be impossible to go into this thing without incredibly high expectations - how can it possibly live up to them?

Back