Infinite Skies

M

mystery_chick

My wonderful niece is at work again. :lol: semi-angst... um... nothing much to say about this one other than that it's really well done. And this one she is actually going to continue. so stayed tuned.

Infinite Skies
Part I

Sometimes you need to let go, the thought rolled around Sydney Bristow’s head. She shook her head. Letting go isn’t an option, she told herself. Sometimes letting go would mean facing reality, and facing reality isn’t something anyone really wants to do. Letting go means moving on and that is one thing I can’t do. I’m stuck, my hands are keeping a firm grasp on the past, and for what it’s worth, I’m couldn’t care less. Clinging to the past isn’t that bad actually. It keeps me from thinking about anything else, she muses, glancing down at the tombstone in front of her. Six feet beneath it was her beloved, Vaughn. Tears prick at her eyes, so she tears her gaze away and to the gravestone beside him.

Jonathon Donhue Bristow

At those words, she turned her head away, more tears threatening to spill over. Glancing up at the sky she sees it’s mostly clear. Clouds are dotted here and there. A child may have thought the sky went on forever on a day like this. The child would be wrong, Sydney thought to herself. All things come to an end. Nothing can last forever. Sinking slowly to the ground, she blinks away the water in her eyes. Bowing her head, she takes a moment to contemplate her profoundly messed up life.

Everything bad that could happen in her life seemed to always happen. Why? She often wondered. Of course there was no answer. There never would be. Which was okay to her mostly, she wasn’t sure if she even wanted to know why she was so cursed. But was it so wrong to want a normal life? A life with 2 kids, a house with that white picket fence, those nosy neighbors who pry into your life, all the things normal people complain about. Today isn’t a day to be thinking about you, she told herself; today is a day, the only day, to think about Vaughn and Dad.

Her head snaps up at the sound of crunching leaves. Jumping up, she whips her head around to see Weiss. “What are you doing here?” She snapped, infuriated that someone dared to interrupt her time here.

“Hey to you too,” Weiss called cheerfully, attempting to provoke a smile from her. No such luck. It was amazing what he put up with now a days. He was the only one who could withstand Sydney’s tempers and bad moods. After a few moments of awkward silence and a glare from Sydney, he decides just to get to the point. “Well,” he starts slowly, “Kendall wants you at ops. Center soon. He has a mission and he’s assigned it to you. He asked me to go find you since you weren’t responding to your beeper.”

Sydney’s last nerve was shred and tossed away. “Who the hell does he think he is?” She roars. “This is the only day out of the entire year I take off, all I want is just this day. Screw Kendall and his mission! He can get someone else to do it! In fact, he can get someone to do every new mission that comes up,” she says, suddenly struck with an idea. “Tell him I quit.” With that, she storms off, leaving Weiss standing there, dumbfounded, unsure of whether to follow her on not.

What the hell am I doing? She questions herself as she gets into her truck. Her mind has no answer, and becomes blank as she drives back to her house. Hers and Vaughn’s. Her eyes start welling up again, but she forces herself not to cry. I have to get away, she realizes. Get away from everything and everyone. Pulling into her driveway, she jumps out of her car, and slams the door open. The first thing she sees is her cat, Lorna.

Her name was just so typical and fitting for any pet of hers that she almost laughed at the irony of it all. Lorna. It meant alone and solitude. That practically described her life. Or it was the closest thing to describing it, since she doubted there was a name that meant death. “Hey Lorry,” Sydney greets her cat lovingly. Lorry was the only companion Sydney actually cared about. She remembers the first time she’d seen the cat. Lorry had been only a kitten, abandoned in a box with a note attached.

Hi! My name is Lorna, or Lorry for short.
My owner didn’t want me so they were wondering if someone would be kind enough to take me in! Please take me home! I’m don’t want to be alone any longer!

Sydney hadn’t needed to read any of it, she had scooped the poor kitten into her arms and cast a pleading glance at Vaughn. Vaughn tried saying no, but he just couldn’t resist her puppy face. Lorry ended up coming home. Now she was Sydney’s only friend and confidant, one who would never tell her secrets, her pain, anything. Lorry was the only one Sydney could trust anymore.

Shutting the door, she wanders over to her cat. “How’s that sound huh? A little road trip, just the two of us.” Lorry looks up at her, amber eyes fixated on Sydney. “No, I don’t know where we’re going actually,” Sydney admitted, “I don’t even know how long we’ll be gone for. But I suppose it doesn’t matter anyway.” Her voice drops to a pained whisper. “There’s no one left who cares. No one left who would worry or wonder what happened to us,” her voice wavers so she shuts her mouth. Lorry rubs her head against Sydney’s chin, the way she always did when she sensed her owner’s distress.

Sydney had to smile a bit. No one made her feel better quite as well as her cat. Stroking Lorry’s head, she whispers, “I know. I’m probably exaggerating, there’s probably someone who cares. Somebody somewhere.” Straightening up, she walks down the hall to the bedroom. “Guess it’s time to start packing if we’re gonna leave anytime soon.” Lorry jumps off her spot on the couch and pads after her owner.

Sydney pulls out a suitcase and stares at her closet. “Hmm, well since I don’t know where we’re going we may as well pack a little of everything, right?” Lorry mews in response, climbing onto the bed to watch. Grabbing clothes for any type of weather, she stuffs them into the suitcase, talking to Lorry every now and then about nothing.

Zipping up her suitcase, she turns to survey her room, looking for anything else she might need. “So what do you think? Are we all done packing?” she asks Lorry. Instead of answering, she hikes her tail and takes off down the hallway, back to the living room. Smacking her hand to her forehead, she follows her friend. “How could I forget? I need to pack for you too! I can’t just leave all your-” as she reaches the living room she stops short.

Francie is sitting on a chair and Lorry is sitting not too far away, shooting a death like glare at Francie. It was almost as if she knew the bad terms she and Sydney were on, all the cruel things that have passed from Francie to Sydney. “Why are you here?” Sydney asked angrily. “How did you get in?”

Francie glanced around before answering, fumbling with her words. “You’re door was unlocked and … Well you see, I was in the neighborhood, and um…” she bites her lip uncertainly. Sydney puts on a look of impatience and opens her mouth. “Wait, just hear me out before you say anything.” Sydney closes her mouth and looks at her expectantly. “I know I’ve said some pretty bad stuff to you, and I wanted to apologize. I didn’t mean anything I said, I didn’t even know what I was saying at the time. I had no right to say them, especially since I don’t know even the tiniest bit what you’ve gone through in your life. So I just… was hoping you’d… want to be friends again,” she finished.

You have no idea how wrong you are, Sydney fumed. When someone says something, they have a reason to say it, because that’s how they feel, because that’s what they believe is the truth. Everything you said was lurking in your subconscious, and you know it. You meant every damn word you said, one side of her thought. But she’s really sorry for what she said. She wants to be friends again Sydney… forgive her. You could use a friend right now, another side argued. It was the smaller, more insignificant piece of her.

Confused about what to do, she shrugs indifferently. “Look Francie, I don’t know what to say right now, I’m getting ready to leave for a while. Maybe we can sort this out when I come back.” If I come back, she adds mentally. Francie smiles weakly as Sydney goes to open her door.

“Just remember Syd… we were really good friends… We still can be…” She trails off after seeing no reaction from Sydney. She heads out the door silently. Sydney closes the door silently, thankful she was finally gone. Leaning her back on the door, she slides down, looking up at her ceiling. Lorry hisses once and sneezes, then bounds over to Sydney. For the second time that day, Lorry rubs her head against Sydney’s chin, trying to bring her spirits up. Sydney hugs her cat gently, grateful to have such a wonderful friend. Swiping at her eyes a bit, she scratches Lorry’s ears, listening to the happy purring. “Well, let’s get started on your packing, shall we?” The orange eyes opened and instantly she bounced away towards the kitchen.

Pulling herself up off the floor she laughs slightly. “I’m coming,” she says, trudging to the kitchen to grab the cat food. Hours later, after everything was packed and loaded into her truck, Sydney sat in the middle of the floor, Lorry on her lap. Do I really want to do this? She thinks as she strokes the cat. Should I really leave all this behind? Sydney rolls her eyes as she remembers it was her idea all along. Plus it’s not exactly like I’m leaving forever. It’s just for a while. I think. “Well, I guess it’s time to hit the road girl,” Sydney says, taking Lorry in her arms.

After putting Lorna in the truck, she goes back to lock her door. Standing outside on the front porch, she takes one last glance inside her house before she closes the door. “So long house,” she murmurs as she closes the door. To her house and her memories. Maybe even her past. Locking it, unexpected emotion wells in her chest. She shoves it away as she gets into the drivers seat. Lorry is sitting in the passengers seat, glancing around, ready to take on anything it seemed.

I have Lorry, she tells herself. The best friend anyone could ask for, the only thing that matters to me anymore. That’s all I need, she realizes. Turning the truck on, she pulls out of the driveway. The future is uncertain for now, but she knows she can figure it out once she gets there. Where ever there was.

--Mandy :angelic:

mystery_chick said:
My wonderful niece is at work again. :lol: semi-angst... um... nothing much to say about this one other than that it's really well done. And this one she is actually going to continue. so stayed tuned.
heyyyy... I continue my works :P just not on a regular basis :lol:

Anyways... yup, I'm her neice, writer of the fics. she's been posting :thinking: but that's not the point. I wrote this story as my way of saying a little goodbye to you all, you see, because I'm leaving AA for a while. I'm not sure how long, so I don't know when I'll be back. I didn't want to make a whole topic about me leaving because.. I dunno it just seemed to open, too many people could get to it and a bunch of other stuff. So I thought that maybe I could write a fic. and relate it to my goodbye in a way. Sydney has to leave because she has so much going on in her life, so do I, she doesn't even know when she'll be back, neither do I. I'd go on but I really don't feel like it... :lol:

So anyway, this is my way of saying, I'll see you all later. And YES this will continue, I'll write about her while she's gone, and when I come back, I'll have her come back and it'll be the end. Right, to end this, I'll talk to you all... later :smiley:

Forgot to add, I'll be on to check PM's and so I can PM Mandy the next chapter, so... if you ever want to PM me, don't hold back.

So sad yet so happy... you are such a good writer...

Mommy thank you for being such a good mommy and friend :smiley: I will miss you... :confused: But I know I will eventually get to talk to you, so everything is ok :smiley:

you're leaving :( im glad u and sydney are going 2 come back eventually though!! that was really good angst :smiley: and ur going 2 continue it :D post more soon!!

Jo- you're a wonderful writer and that was really good!

It's so sad that you're leaving for a while... and I'm going to be so happy when you come back! your grand aunt will throw you a party and the whole family will be there! :smiley: I'll miss you so much!

wait nance so you're my mother? or my mother in-law or what???
--Mandy :angelic:

That was wonderful Jo.....and I truly hope everything works out for you. You have been my special rain dancer.....
Best wishes in all that happens.

my ummm...grand-niece?

Jo, I'll miss you sooo much! You are always funny and fun to talk to and be around! I hope that everything in your life will get better andthat you can come back to be with us. Until we meet again....

-Mandi

NO MY SIGN BUDDY IS GOING!!!!!!!!!WAH!!!!!!!! Well thank you for writhing such good stories. They are awesome..and I hope the day will come soon when you come back Jo. Your Daddy will miss you.

i'll miss you, jo. you're an awesome person. i hope you now you get to spend some quality time with your penguins and everything gets sorted out.

Aww! Its so sad to see you go :( Your smiling avatar and signature are always welcoming and it will be weird to not see them around. But, sometimes getting your priorities straight is VERY important. I know how hard it is to leave a forum, and don't worry, you have my support. We'll miss you, but your future is more important than your...Alias obsession? :P Anyways, its sad to see you go, but I hope we'll still see you around a bit. Oh, and thanks for this awesome fan fiction. I think that was really a brilliant way to handle it.

*Missing you already*

-Gigi

I didn't know you were writing these, Jo! They're amazing and I'm so glad you're going to continue. I can't wait to read more. Good job and goodbye.
~kate

Aww, we'll miss you, Jo! Get whatever it is straightened out and come back here to regale us with your latest ideas and drunken things!
~Crazy

Back