Infinite Skies

Wow......That was really powerful Jo. Really powerful. I almost cried!! And you know me. I like NEVER cry. That left some feeling in my chest.I duno how to explain it. I'll miss you Jo. You deal with a lot of things in your life and you are a strong person. You are funny and kind and just a great person. I'll miss you girl, I'll miss you.

Your friend,
Erika

Awwww! Jo, your leaving! its sad to see you go but good 2 know that its not forever. i think this is a great idea writing a story, and your a great writer, i think i told you that before! hope you're back soon,
All the best, Loz ^_^

woah this was on the fourth page i think. btw i like the title of the fic even though it doesnt really fit in with the fic yet.

(FINALLLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY) ^_^

Infinite Skies
Part II

Why must life be so hard? Why do I have to get pushed down just after I get up? Why do I have to get up? I feel like I’m going no where in my life. It’s like I take two baby steps forwards and 5 adult steps backwards. Will anything go right for me? These thoughts whirl through Sydney’s head as she stares at the open road. A sidelong glance assures her that her ever faithful cat Lorna, a.k.a Lorry, was sound asleep on the towel next to her.

It’d only been a few days since she’d left LA. Where she was now was anyone’s guess, she’d seen so many signs go by she’d thought they may as well be the crosses you see on those little dirt roads in the middle of no where. If she knew one thing though, it was that she was glad to be away from her old life, to finally take a break. She’d left her cell phone at her house so no one could reach her. She left behind all links to her past so she could forget it for a while.

Sydney figures she’s out of California by now, maybe in Arizona, maybe in Nevada, she wasn’t sure. All that mattered was that she had Lorry and they were alone. Her lips curve upwards a bit at the thought of her companion. With Vaughn and her father dead, Lorry was her favorite person, okay living being, in the entire world. At the thought of Vaughn her spirits darkened. Her mood changed and her eyes had the look of absolute grief and desolation.

Sometimes things just have to get so damned hard for me, I just don’t get it, her mind screamed. What the hell did I do? she wonders, grilling herself for answers. Then there’s always the question, will I go back? Sydney honestly had no idea. When she first had the impulse to leave it was just for a little while. But now as time passes she just wants to stay away forever. Bad things seemed to hang around that L.A. It wasn’t like she wanted to stay away... but she didn’t exactly feel like going back. Ugh, why do things have to be so hard? If only Vaughn were here... everything would be better.

Tears start to prick at her eyes, her vision blurs. The car swerves a bit from her lack of clarity, in both eyesight and in mind, nearly running off the road. The sharp turns wake Lorry up and she hops onto Sydney’s lap, pawing frantically at her. Pulling over to the side of the road, she stops the car. Dropping her head in her hands, she moans. “What am I doing out here?” She wonders aloud, knowing the answer. It was her idea in the first place. Sort of the spur of the moment thing really. For a moment she keeps her face buried into the palm of her hands, not thinking, not breathing, not even moving.

Lorna looks up from her position on Sydney’s lap. Seeing her owner in such distress, she puts her two front paws on her chest and rubs her head against Sydney’s chin, the way she always did. And as she always did, Sydney looked into her cat’s eyes, wondering just how intelligent Lorry really was and temporarily putting her pain and memories aside. “You’re right girl,” she said, stroking her kitty’s head. “We can’t just stop out here in the middle of no where, can we?” Starting up the car, she pulls back onto the road, this time with Lorry right beside her.

More signs go by, the sun begins to start it’s descent into the mountains. Sydney takes no notice and continues driving, flipping turn signals randomly when she reached a stop sign. It wasn’t until two hours after the sun went down that she finally realizes she needs to find a hotel or something, somewhere she and Lorry can stay for the night. As if on cue, a small inn rolls into view. “Hey, just our luck,” she muses. “For once it’s not our bad luck,” she adds, muttering. “Okay you, get in there,” she tells Lorry. Lorry gives her a pleading look in return. “I swear if you were a dog I’d give in every time I got that look. I know you don’t want to go in your carrier, but it’s just for a bit.” Propping the crate door open, she gives Lorry a little push in.

Taking a moment to look the place over before getting out, she sees it’s just one building. The kind of motel that only has 3 or 4 guests at a time. A Bed and Breakfast or whatever they’re called. It was a rustic place, with a quaint charm to it. There was literally nothing surrounding the place, the miles just stretched out before her, an infinite amount of ground. Not infinite, she reminds herself. Everything has an end. Looking back at the house, she saw a light on and decided she may as well go in now instead of sitting around in her truck.

After securing the enclose, she walks into the office. There’s only two people in there. One was a little dark haired boy, sleeping on a chair, blanket thrown over him. The other was an elderly woman, her skin hung loosely on her frame, her graying, almost white hair was pulled back. She pretty much looked like the grandma everyone wished was in their family. The older lady looked up from the front desk and smiled warmly. “Welcome to Liber Inn,” she said. “Gettin’ pretty dark out there, isn’t it?”

Sydney stared blankly for a few seconds. Is she trying to have a conversation with me? Duh Syd, she rolled her eyes at herself. “Yeah. I barely noticed it though.” The old woman smiled knowingly.

“Got a lot on you mind?” She asked, smiling kindly. Sydney just nodded wordlessly, her voice was too thick to reply. “Well,” she said, clapping her hands together, “Are you looking for a room?”

Clearing her throat, she puts on a mask. “Yes, I am. Do you have any rooms available?”

“Plenty,” she answers. “Well, just two actually, the other one is occupied. Anyhow, I’m sure you don’t want to hear me start babbling on far into the morning,” she says laughing slightly. “How many people?” she inquires, a pen poised to write the information on her bill.

Sydney’s heart falls a bit. “Just... just one,” she answers softly. Do not do this, she warns herself. That was a perfectly reasonable question, there’s no reason to get all moony about it. Of course, there wasn’t. There wasn’t if she was getting a room for two. Her heart clenches.

Surprised, the lady looks up. “Just one?” A look at Sydney’s pained face has comprehension running her over. “Oh, I see,” she says quietly. Trying to muster herself back together, she plows through the rest of the questions and then some. “Any pets? How long will you be staying? Would you like anything in the mornings? I make breakfast for the guests,” she realizes she must be rambling. Sydney’s still mute, looking down at her hands. “Oh, dear,” the woman mutters. “I’m terribly sorry about your loss. I know what it’s like.”

Sydney’s head snaps up, and angry retort on the tip of her tongue. Before any words fly from her mouth, she sees the woman is actually sincere. Sydney can see the pain registering on her face, the misery in her eyes. Her furious temper vanishes. She wants to ask, but they both know within these few moments that neither want to talk about it. “One,” she says suddenly. The woman looks up, confused. “One pet,” she repeats. The lady starts scribbling away on her pad. “I’m not sure how long I’ll stay. Maybe a few days, maybe. . .” she trails off.

Silence swallows the air around them once more. “May I have your name please?” the woman asks. “By the way, my name is Becca,” she adds, a warm smile flashing across her face.

Sydney briefly considers using an alias, but she finds herself saying, “Sydney. Sydney Bristow.” Bristow. The last bit made her feel like she had been run over by a truck. Twice. When did I become Sydney Bristow? she wondered desperately. I was always, and will always be Sydney Vaughn. The thought of using her maiden name saddened her so much, she felt disturbed at what a simple thing could do. Lost in her thoughts for a few moments, she looks up to see that Becca is watching her quite intently. She must have asked a question. “I’m sorry?” Sydney asks.

“I was saying dear,” she said quickly, “that if you waned to go get your bags and your pet, I’d show you to your room.” Disconcerted between the dreams and reality, she nodded and strode out the door, back to her truck. Muttering to herself quietly, she watches the ground roll underneath her as she walks on. Everything seems to keep rolling along no matter what. Even if she stopped walking, the world would keep rolling. And yet, it would roll even when she was walking. Was there any difference? Did she really need to keep going? Certainly nothing needed her around to help them roll along. Realizing how ridiculous these thoughts were, she pushes them out of her mind.

Looking up, she sees Lorry, escaped from her carrier and watching her intently. Smiling, Sydney opens her truck door and pulls a few bags out. “Back in there you,” she tells her cat affectionately. “We’ll have our talks later, I have other things to take care of.” She gives Lorry a small push back in. Picking her cage up by the handle, she loads the bags into her arms and starts back into the office.

She’s lead upstairs to her room, Becca tells her breakfast will be at 8 tomorrow morning. Sydney just nods mindlessly, her mind on other things. She barely even notices when Becca leaves, jumping when the door shuts. Coming back to her senses, she drops her things, she opens the door to Lorry’s carrier to let her out. The cat immediately bounds over to the bed and flops down, ready for sleep. Not wanting to disturb her cat, Sydney goes to her window, staring out at the blackness covering the world.

Random thoughts and feelings enter her mind, and she just lets them come. There’s no bother trying to stay with one and answer it. She wouldn’t be able to figure it out anyway. So she just leans against the wall and continues staring out at the infinite nothing. For once she doesn’t correct herself, because nothing is infinite.

Her eyes remain motionless as the feeling of despair and melancholy sweep over her, accompanied by the blanket of loneliness. Barely breathing, she stays there for hours, just letting herself think, letting herself be completely alone.

:shocked: That was wonderful, sad, great, depressing! Ohhhhh man, that was more interesting than my HP book :D Sydney Vaughn... :😭:

Repetitive :rolleyes: Yeaaah... suuuure. :P :lol:

Keep writing. For yourself. ;) :smiley:

Oooh my, thats amazing, it's so powerful, so good! Your a great writer. I wish I could have gotten 2 know u better before u left!!!!! GREAT story, just wow. WOW :woot:

Infinite Skies
Part III

She had no idea how she ended up back in bed, but here she was, snuggled under a warm comforter and Lorry curled in a small ball near the pillow. For a few moments, she felt content. At least until she looked and saw no one beside her. This is how it was almost every morning. She was trapped in the past for a few precious moments until reality came back and hit her hard. Sighing, she stretches, and the past washes from her memory.

She listens to birds twittering outside her window for some time, wondering what she should do next. “It’s not like I planned anything,” she said out loud, almost asking for a sign on what to do. Lorry just stirred a bit, but still slept. She stayed silent a few minutes longer, waiting for something, but nothing at the same time. Waiting, but not expecting. Giving up, she hears a soft knock at the door. “Yes?” She calls, dragging herself out of bed, stumbling to the door.

Opening the door, she sees Becca standing there. “Good morning Sydney,” she greets. “I hope I’m not disturbing you?” Sydney shakes her head vigorously. If anything, Becca had saved her from self torment. Sydney had been on the verge of criticizing herself. “No, not at all! I was just getting up,” Sydney assured her.

Smiling, Becca tells her breakfast will be served in 20 minutes if she wanted some. After some small talk, Becca goes downstairs, probably to finish making breakfast. Sydney shuts the door and flops back down on the bed, and stares up at the ceiling. Well... I guess I’ll have to find something to do after breakfast then. If I can find anything, she adds, remembering there was practically no other building around.

She lays there for a few more minutes, her minds starts to bicker with itself, somehow it had gotten on the topic of going back or staying. Ugh, she thought. Shut up, shut up, shut up! I’m sick of thinking about that. Besides, she was already pretty much leaning towards one, and she was sure that was the way she’d go. She’s deep in thought when the smell of bacon and eggs wafts up and reaches her nose. Her stomach rumbles and she can feel a small ripple of hunger go through it. Getting up off the bed, she
grabs a pair of clothes and changes. She can take a shower later.

Giving Lorry her breakfast before going down, Sydney takes the time to pet her cat. She apologizes for having to leave her stuck in the room for a while and gets a look in return. Promising she’ll be back, Sydney slips out the door and heads down the stairs, stomach still grumbling loudly.

Stepping into the dining area, she sees the dark haired boy from last night and a woman sitting at the table. The boy looks down quickly when she enters, and the woman smiles at her. Nodding in return, Sydney smiles politely, her stomach churning in discomfort at having to make a conversation. Chewing on her lip, she takes the seat farthest from where the other two were sitting. She was curious about who the boy was, but not curious enough to make a conversation.

Taking the time to look around, she figures this must have been a home before. Seeing movement out of the corner of her eye, her stomach tenses. The woman had gotten up out of her seat to come talk to her. Reminding herself to be polite and friendly, she takes a deep breath. Pasting on a
smile, she turns to greet the woman. “Hello,” the lady greets. “My name is Macy.” She looks expectantly at Sydney for a similar gesture.

She thinks of just nodding and brushing her off, but she has a feeling there was something more to this woman then met the eye. Chances are she’d never find out, but she figured there was no hurt in making friends, was there? “Hi Macy, I’m Sydney. Nice to meet you,” She tells Macy, putting
on a smile. Macy takes a seat beside Sydney, so she tries to initiate a conversation. “So, what brings you here?” Sydney finds herself asking.

Macy just shakes her head a bit, looking a bit lost whatever memories going through her mind. “Nothing really,” she replied absently. “Just... you know... the parents thought I could use a bit of a vacation, so they sent me here. I told them I didn’t need a little time away from home but you know how parents are, even when you’re old enough to make these decisions for yourself,” she says chuckling a bit. No I don’t, Sydney thinks. I was never really given that chance. She keeps her thoughts to herself though. “So, what are you doing here?”

Sydney tenses once more. I should have expected that question, she told herself. “I just took a drive and ended up here,” she says honestly, not wanting to share her entire dilemma. Macy seemed to accept this and nodded knowingly. Sydney was curious about her. She didn’t know what made the woman so appealing, but Sydney caught herself wondering about Macy all the same. It was the way she talked, the way she acted. There just seemed to be the real her lurking beneath the shield she’d put up. Or maybe you’re just weird, Sydney told herself. Or paranoid. Can’t she just stop second
guessing people’s character?

“I know how that is,” Macy jokes. “Done that a lot of times.” Sydney relaxes again as the conversation drifts from topic to topic. First from favorite books, to favorite animals, then on to music and the usual. I could like this woman, Sydney thinks. They talk more over breakfast and Sydney can feel any worry about her future slowly melting away.

Becca watched them for a bit before turning her attention back to the boy. Sydney sees them out of the corner of her eye, and feels a bit guilty for leaving her out. Shrugging away the feeling she turns her thoughts back to Macy. She doesn’t know exactly why, but as the conversation she suddenly feels a spark of happiness ignite for the first time in a while. A genuine smile flashes across her face when Macy tells her of when she’d gotten in a mud fight with her friends as a child, how it’d raged on for hours, died
down, and started up again. She finds herself wishing she’d had a normal child hood. I wonder, would I have had mud fights? She thinks wistfully. “So how about you? Any wild stories to share?” Macy asks, grinning mischievously.

Hesitating, she wracks her brain for something. There were faint memories of the time before her mother died, but none were ‘wild’. “Nope,” She finally answers, sighing. “I had the kind of life where the parent was either too overprotective, or just didn’t want to see you have fun.” Macy rolls her eyes, shaking her head.

“I could never understand parents who were like that. Come to think of it, mine were too,” Macy says, laughing. “I guess I just didn’t care most of them,” she adds at Sydney’s questioning gaze. “Anways, what kind of job do you have?” She asks.

Once again she has a brain freeze. “Well, I don’t really have a job currently,” she says at last. “At least, I don’t think I do anymore.” Macy gives her a quizzical look. “It’s complicated really. Basically I quit, but I don’t know if that’s completely... legit.” Unsure of how to continue, Sydney grows desperate for a change of subject. This is getting a little too personal now, she says silently.

Macy seemed to understand though. “Well, that’s certainly interesting. I’ve got to get back to my room and take a shower, but if you want to meet up later. . .” she trails off there, not wanting to make Sydney feel obligated.

“Uh, yeah sure,” she says. She didn’t know why, but being around Macy helped her forget everything. Everything seemed to have never happened. Crazy, she knew, but that was how she felt all the same. “I have some stuff I need to take care of though,” she added. As much as she wanted to
get to know Macy more, she wasn’t sure she should. Shaking her head to clear her thoughts until she got back to her room, Sydney agreed to meet Macy back here in an hour.

Climbing up the stairs, her thoughts race. The thing was, she wasn’t sure if she wanted to get close to Macy after all that had happened. She wasn’t sure if she wanted to risk losing another person she was close to. She didn’t know if she could handle that. Plus, she felt a little guilty. Making friends with her so soon after… after Vaughn and her Dad died just didn’t seem right. Oh shut up, she thinks angrily. It’s been over a year.

Opening the door, she looks around for Lorry. A little concerned, Sydney calls for her. Odd, she thought. Ignoring a feeling in her stomach, she goes to take a shower, the wars still waging in her mind.

My wonderful niece. isn't she just perfect!
--Mandy

no is something wrong? whered her cat go? aww its so sad cuz syds scared to meet someone new. even a friend.. great chap tho.

Back