injury transfers and healing

part of what made empaths fun in gsIII was transferring the wound from player 'B' to player 'A' (the empath) who then had to heal it with spells, herbs, and time invested. It wasn't "oh no, I've had my leg chopped off! No worries, I'll cast "healing level 3" and magically the leg is back and the HP is full, with the bleeding immediately staunched.

Also, in gsIII you could very well have full health but a mangled leg. If it was not healed properly (say with herbs found on the ground instead of an empath) the leg remained healthy, but mangled. This affected skills like hiding, ambushing, climbing, etc. Hopefully HJ will follow parts of this system as well.

Any thoughts on this?

I think it was said that healers transfer wounds, and stuff like that in the latest Q&A at MMORPG.com I'll have to double check, but if not that would be an awsome idea.

Opposite, they do not transfer wounds.

I wish because I loooove that system, but it would be rather horrible to be in a fight and your healer can't heal because if they do their head will fall apart and they die.

It would be more realistic (if healing by magic COULD be realistic) for the wound transfers. The system worked well, and I see a need for it.

I'm just curious why you feel it would be more realistic for the healer to transfer your wounds to themselves than it is for them to transfer their hitpoints to you?

I have to say I have trouble seeing what the difference is. If I'm transferring your wounds to me I can only transfer as many as I have hit points - or to some fixed percentage of my total health depending on how it's coded. If I'm giving you my HP then I can only give you as much as I have - or again a percentage depending on how its coded. So what's the difference? I mean you could roleplay it as I'm taking on your wounds that's why your health is going up and mine is going down right? The only difference I see is a simple change in terminology and behind the scenes mechanics but I've never played GS or DR so maybe I'm missing something.

From the descriptions I've seen so far it sounds like the healer class is going to be one of the most interesting "cleric" types I've ever seen in an MMO. You throw up your heal aura to keep people in the area regening pretty quickly while getting involved in the fight and doing the whole health transfer as needed. If you combine those spells with the teamwork stuff shown in the movie from last years E3 I can see the healer being the one directing the fight, and being the guy that does the kneel down so the tank can do that special vaulting/flipping attack. Much more entertaining than typical healer sittiing in the corner and tossing out the occasional heal on the main tank.

Name of the class I think.... to empathize you must share the pain in someway. Guess that's where he's getting it from.

I almost always play a healer type so this concept is rather interesting. Not unlike a simple transfer spell though... the necro gives you health but loses some of his in exchange.

Originally posted by Seeria@May 7 2006, 08:49 PM
Name of the class I think.... to empathize you must share the pain in someway. Guess that's where he's getting it from.

I almost always play a healer type so this concept is rather interesting. Not unlike a simple transfer spell though... the necro gives you health but loses some of his in exchange.
Yea Guild Wars had an idea like that with Necromancers. It worked out very well, and was very viable for certain team builds.

Originally posted by Xhar@May 8 2006, 01:05 PM
The question is moot, as there are clerics and healers, and no mention of Empaths at all (so far)
True, but they could have just took the empath build and changed the name to something a little less obscure...like "Healer". Who knows. Either way, results are all the same: Healers will help someone live one way or the other. Also, as far as there not being any Empaths...that remains to be seen, seeing as there are many class combos that include clerics and healers. Maybe the Cleric + Healer combo will = Empath? Or Healer + Necro might...who knows.

Here's a thought - adding permanent scars to characters who die.

Since death isn't THAT common, the average capped fighter would only have about half his body covered in scars. =P

Back