Dismiss Notice
Alien Soup is a free community for fans of science-fiction, horror, & fantasy! Everybody is welcome here.

Space Installing a Room With a View

Discussion in 'Tech, Science, and Space' started by Robby, Feb 16, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Robby

Robby The Robot

NASA Picture Of The Day
    Installing a Room With a View

[​IMG]

In the grasp of the Canadarm2, the cupola was relocated from the forward port to the Earth-facing port of the International Space Station's newly installed Tranquility node. The cupola is a robotic control station with six windows around its sides and another in the center that will provide a panoramic view of Earth, celestial objects and visiting spacecrafts. With the installation of Tranquility and cupola, the space station is about 90 percent complete. Image Credit: NASA (More at NASA Picture Of The Day)

2. Tim

Tim Creative Writer

This came up on the newsites here and it was quite interesting to think about the safety factors they needed. The cupola in the picture I've seen has a lid hinged back. I am wondering if that is bolted down for radiation issues? Someone has to space walk to do it or it is powered? For some reason I tend to think windows are less protective against that sort of thing? Or am I going totally wrong here?