International Baccalaureate (IB) Program

I'm not in the IB program but I do know about it. My best friend's older brother was in it and absolutely hated it. You only have like 4 really long periods a day and like tons of work. He was your average teen and like his grades just like :blowup: Honestly, I don't want to enter it. And it's supposed to be like uber hard and like only worth it if you're like really into school...which i'm not. So that's my opinion. Hope it helps.

--Riley--

totally what rileylovesalias wrote. I was considering doing it a year or two back. Its really time consuming and some classes like IB English and Chem are two year classes, plus you have to pass all of the IB tests to get the credit and for it to say you took IB on your transcripts (if you don't take the test it looks like you just took general courses on the transcripts). But, I do have friends that are taking one or two IB classes, not the full program and are doing fine. Whatever works for you...hope that helps! ~Lauren

We have the IB program at my school, and there seems to be two opinions: people either hate it, or it's a necessary evil that is just there.

The people who seem to hate it are full IB (all classes except one are IB), because they see it as lots of work with no real gratification, and it has pretty much consumed their lives for the past two years. A couple of my best friends are full IB, and are absolutely sick of it. I only take four (English, History, Biology, and Calculus), but I understand what they are saying. You do a lot of work over a two year period, take the exams, and most colleges in the US do not know how to recognize them so a lot of schools do not give class credit for them. Also, you don't get your exam scores until after you have already entered college, so sometimes it seem pretty pointless.

I enjoy a few classes I take, and if you really enjoy a subject then it is worth taking the course in that class. If you enjoy the class as much as you think you do, then it is totally worth the time and effort, and usually your grades do not suffer. But don't just do it because it looks good on a college transcript -- I was pretty good at English and Biology and liked them well enough, but now I cannot wait until May to get out of those classes! ;)

Rambling over. :P Hope this helped a bit!

I was about to start a new thread about the IB, good that I found this :smiley:

Well I'm in the IB and here we have the pre-IB first and then the actuall IB. I already had to chose classes for next year and I'm so scared of those, cause right after I mad the decisions I started thinking did I make the right choise, but it's not that big deal anyway so I decided not to stress about it
:D

So what subjects are you IBers taking? Do you have the U(nited)W(orld)C(olleges) scolarship in your country?

Well this is the debate I am currently going through myself at this very moment.

See, people I know who do IB say that it's a lot of work, but it sort of makes first year of Uni seem like Kindergarten. But the impression I get is that there's really not any point doing it unless you plan on going studying overseas (I live in Australia). But say you go to a Uni in Australia but decide to go do your Master's degree in say, London or wherever... IB doesn't matter for that.

I did once hear this theory about how if you are above average intelligence, IB is easier for you since it's more intelligence based rather than work based... but... :blink: Somehow, I find that very hard to believe.

*shrug* I honestly have no clue what I want to do next year... Can anyone who does IB fill me in on the plus and minus points of it?

Well I you are already living in English speaking coutry so it wount make much difference to you if you go to the IB or not. But if you are planing to go to college in Europe people know the IB there.

For you the language isn't an issue so it wount go to the plus sides so basically the plusses are that you study only 6-8 subjects so that you can consentrate better to those and have possibly better groung for college or uni. There is the CAS programme so you can experience new things and well if you wanna come to europe the IB might help you. Then you can choose what level you want to take in the subjects so there isn't the mandatory ammout of what you have to take.

Minus sides are that there is quite lot of work, coz there are the practicals in many subjects and in the matriculation examination (I dunno if you even have those in there) you have 6-8 subjects that you have to write(I dunno the system in there, but in here "regular" only has to write 4) and it sucks if you suddenly want to become a engineer and you didn't take physics, chemistry or HL math.

I'm doing the full IB Diploma, it could be hell at times but I think the result (nice transcripts, guaranteed admission to many universities e.g. U of Melbourne (32 or higher)) pays off for the hard work. But if you're in the US, the IB doesn't really make much of a difference to you since most American colleges do not take it in consideration. The annoying thing about it is the TOK lessons we all have to endure. It is probably the most pointless thing you will ever do in school, aside from the stupid CAS evaluation forms.

I agree about the TOK thing. Even though we are not in the actuall IB yet we still have to do the lessons and do some exercises and all that, and so far I've learned nothing. I have to have some extra lessons so that I can get CAS from those, but it's really hard to know now how I'm going to do those next year...

Back