Internet Fandom Questionnaire

This questionnaire is for my University dissertation project about internet fandoms and fan culture. I would appreciate it if you could spend a couple of minutes filling it out. Please, tell any online friends in this fandom or other fandoms. I am trying to get a large sample.

PS. If you are involved in another fandom (Buffyverse, Star Trek, Firefly, BSG, Farscape, The OC, Lost etc) please could you take this survey twice I would like to see if there are any differences between fandoms. Just mark the top of the quesionnaire with the name of the fandom. Thanks.

If you have any problems please PM me or leave a reply here.

1) Please indicate:

Male
Female

2) Age:

11-18
19-35
36-50
50+

3) Why did you first become involved in the show’s fandom?

Wanted to get to know other fans

Looking for more analysis/info about the show

Other (Please describe your reasons)

4) Why do you remain in the show’s fandom?

The Show

Friends

The continuing analysis/info about the show

5) How many hours a week do you spend in the fandom?

0-5 hours
6-11hours
12-19hours
20hours+

6) In the both online (when outside of the fandom) and offline worlds to you regularly identity yourself as a fan of the show? If so, how?

7) Do you feel that your fandom has given you a voice? Either through show campaigns/conventions/storyline changed as it was not popular with fans? (Please describe your reasons)

8) What is or has been your level of involvement within the fandom? Eg. Fan-Fiction (reading and writing), buying merchandise, letter writing, fan art or regular discussions.

9) Are you involved in any other fandoms?

Yes
No

b)If so, which ones?

c) How do they compare?

1 -
More passionate
Less passionate

2-
More fansites/forums
Less fansites/forums

3- Please describe any other differences.

Your answers are very much appreciated!

1) Please indicate:

Female

2) Age:

11-18

Other (Please describe your reasons) - to post/read fan fiction

The Show

Friends

Other (Please describe your reasons) - fan art/fiction

0-5 hours

6) In the both online (when outside of the fandom) and offline worlds to you regularly identity yourself as a fan of the show? If so, how? yes, i love the shows

7) Do you feel that your fandom has given you a voice? Either through show campaigns/conventions/storyline changed as it was not popular with fans? (Please describe your reasons) - yes, not sure how to elaborate

8) What is or has been your level of involvement within the fandom? Eg. Fan-Fiction (reading and writing), buying merchandise, letter writing, fan art or regular discussions. --- fan fiction, fan art, etc.

No

1) Please indicate:

Female
2) Age:

19-35

Other (Please describe your reasons) - to read fanfic and to look at fanart

The Show

Friends

0-5 hours

6) In the both online (when outside of the fandom) and offline worlds to you regularly identity yourself as a fan of the show? If so, how? - yep, its a common question to be asked what type of shows do i like and i always say alias.
7) Do you feel that your fandom has given you a voice? Either through show campaigns/conventions/storyline changed as it was not popular with fans? (Please describe your reasons) not sure

8) What is or has been your level of involvement within the fandom? Eg. Fan-Fiction (reading and writing), buying merchandise, letter writing, fan art or regular discussions.
- fanfic, fan art, buying merchandise

No

1) Please indicate:

Female

2) Age:

11-18

6-11hours

6) In the both online (when outside of the fandom) and offline worlds to you regularly identity yourself as a fan of the show? If so, how?

Yes. I talk to my friends about Alias, I have posters in my room and pics and wallpapers, people ask. Of course..

7) Do you feel that your fandom has given you a voice? Either through show campaigns/conventions/storyline changed as it was not popular with fans? (Please describe your reasons)

Yes. Don't know how to describe.

Reading and writing fan fiction is the best, I think.

Yes

b)If so, which ones?
c) How do they compare?

1 -
Less passionate

2-
Less fansites/forums

1) Please indicate:
Female

2) Age:
19-35

Other (Please describe your reasons) read fanfiction, look at fan art

The Show

6-11hours

6) In the both online (when outside of the fandom) and offline worlds to you regularly identity yourself as a fan of the show? If so, how? Yes. I talk about the show with friends and with others when asked.

7) Do you feel that your fandom has given you a voice? Either through show campaigns/conventions/storyline changed as it was not popular with fans? (Please describe your reasons) Yes. Not sure how to describe.

Reading fanfiction, looking at and learning how to create fan art, and discussions.

No

1) Please indicate:

Female

2) Age:

19-35

0-5 hours

Yes, mostly just to friends in conversation. "My favorite show is..." and so on.

I don't know if I can answer that yet for certain. But yes, I think the answer is yes. The fan uproar over the killing off and firing of one lead character/actor has definitely gotten attention within the entertainment/media community both online and in print. It was not always the kind of attention that we wanted but in the end the collective cry of outrage was heard and now we are waiting to see how that effects the storyline.

mostly just letter writing, discussions and some fan-fiction involvement. I have also bought DVD's but that is about it.

only Slightly

b)If so, which ones?

Buffyverse

c) How do they compare?

1 -

Less passionate

2-

Less fansites/forums

3- Please describe any other differences

Buffy has already been off the air for a few years so it is hard to compare. Generally I would guess the fan base is larger just because it was on the air for so long, but lately the fan sites are pretty quiet.

1) Please indicate:
Female

2) Age:
11-18

Other (Please describe your reasons) - I also just wanted to have general discussion about the fandom

The Show
Friends

6-11hours

6) In the both online (when outside of the fandom) and offline worlds do you regularly identity yourself as a fan of the show? If so, how?
Well, offline, I have a lot of merchandise regarding the fandom... I also talk about it a lot and I write fan-fiction for it, too.

A little bit... but I still think I would have the same voice without the fandom.

Reading and writing fan-fiction, a little bit of fan art and many regular discussions

No

b)If so, which ones?

N/A

c) How do they compare?

1 -
N/A

2-
N/A

N/A

1) Please indicate:

Female

2) Age:

11-18

My sister did it first. I followed her. ^_^

Because of AllAlias.

0-5 hours

Yes. But more as a fan of Alias season 1-2 (3), not 4/5.

confused.

some fan fiction writing, discussions; used to read alias prequel books.

Yes

b)If so, which ones?

Lost, HP

c) How do they compare?

1 -
More passionate

2-
More fansites/forums

3- I still spend the most time on AllAlias, though.

1) Please indicate:

Female

2) Age:

11-18

The Show

Friends

0-5 hours

Generally, it's just talking to friends about the show.

Not particularly, no.

Reading and writing fanfiction, buying merchandise, discussion.

No

b)If so, which ones?

N/A

c) How do they compare?

N/A

1) Male

2) Age: 11-18

3) Looking for more analysis/info about the show

4) Friends

5) 12-19hours (varies depending on how much else is going on in my life)

On profiles at MySpace, Facebook, LiveJournal, etc. I list in my interests section (or TV show section if there is one). In real life I often bring it up in conversation.

Yes, I feel like the Alias team really does listen to fans. Will's character changed because during the first season fans hated him so much (PM me if you need more details about this), and the same could very well be true of Lauren and Vaughn's "return" this season.

And ABC people definitely do visit this forum.

I founded this site and have been very active in its development. I've written back and forth with people at ABC as well as reporters and others writing about Alias or developing some book/something else for Alias fans. I also buy lots of Alias stuff, etc.

Yes

b)If so, which ones?

Harry Potter, His Dark Materials, Jack & Bobby

c) How do they compare?

1 -
More passionate (Harry Potter)
Less passionate (His Dark Materials, Jack & Bobby)

2-
More fansites/forums (Harry Potter)
Less fansites/forums (His Dark Materials, Jack & Bobby)

1) Please indicate:

Male

2) Age:

19-35

Other: because of the show, but also because of the people who come here to talk about the show, analyze every details and randomly chat ...

0-5 hours

Yes, I always talk about the show with my friends (some don't even know the show exists) ... I have the Alias Cast Crew Pic framed from all 5 seasons ... my computer has an Alias background, Alias desktop item and Alias screensaver ...

I think so ... just look at what happened to Vaughn this season, his apparent "death" and "return" ... same can be said about Lena Olin's character ...

Just regular discussion

Not involved, but I do visit other sites about Alias

b)If so, which ones?
Alias-Media and SD-1

c) How do they compare?
1 & 2 -> Don't really know, I just go there for the news section and don't visit the forums

3. I am mostly addicted to this site, which I visit every day of the year ... (y) ;up:

1) Please indicate:

Female

2) Age:

11-18

Wanted to get to know other fans (because at that point I knew zero people who watched Alias, now thankfully I have convinced some of my RL friends to watch too :P) & Looking for more analysis/info about the show.

The Show & Friends

Usually 6-11 hours, but it varies depending on my work load any given week.

Usually I talk about the show with my other friends (some often tease me for being an avid fan ;)) and I also list the show as an interest of mine in other places that I frequent online, such as AIM, livejournal, and MySpace.

I certainly feel that the Alias fandom has a voice. Although JJ and co obviously don't answer to our every whim (nor would I want them to, necessarily) they certainly are aware of our voice and do make changes in story lines if there is a major fandom problem concerning any of the characters - i.e. Will in Season 1, Lauren in Season 3, and Vaughn's return in in the most recent episode this season. In fact, the internet movement to keep Vaughn on the show that took place over this summer is a great example of the "voice of the fandom", because it got national media recognition. The power of our fandom is why Alias has earned its reputation as a "cult hit", for while it lacks power in the ratings, it certainly has a passionate and loyal fan base that draws from viewers all over the world. However, that being siad, I don't particularly feel that the fandom has given me a unique voice, per say, because my position on characters and "ships" aren't necessarily the same as the majority of fan's opinions. I am also, frankly, not the kind of person who would become upset enough at the direction of a TV show to do something drastic such as writing JJ Abrams or ABC.

Fan-fiction, fan-art, general discussion, and buying merchandise.

Yes

b)If so, which ones?

Harry Potter, Gilmore Girls, Numb3rs

c) How do they compare?

1 -
More passionate - Harry Potter
Equally passionate - Gilmore Girls
Less passionate - Numb3rs

2-
More fansites/forums - Harry Potter
Less fansites/forums - Gilmore Girls, Numb3rs

Alias was my first fandom, and still is certainly the one I am most heavily involved in. Even though Season 5 will be Alias' final season, I still plan to stay active within the fandom and on the boards for a long time. :smiley:

1)Please indicate:

Female

2) Age:

11-18

The Show and the Friends

12-18 hours

Talking to friends who like the show and things like my msn screen picture as well as picutres of the alias cast on my walls and sometimes on school books.

I think so, because places like this give fans the oppunity to voice their opions and talk to other people about what they think.

Mainly reading fan fiction and talking to other fans

No

1) Please indicate:

Female

2) Age:

11-18

Wanted to get to know other fans and Looking for more analysis/info about the show

The Show, mostly but the friends Friends, too.

12-19hours

yes, i always talk about alias. for example, if i hear a song on the radio i might say ' that song would be good for an alias music video.'

i mostly just read the fiction nothing else.

No

b)If so, which ones?

c) How do they compare?

1 -
More passionate
Less passionate

2-
More fansites/forums
Less fansites/forums

1) Please indicate:

Female

2) Age:

11-18

The Show

Friends

0-5 hours

Not really, my friends known that I am a fan, as are they.

No, because most people don't know who is saying what, and it doesnt usally really go that far.

I read Fan-Fiction and I enjoy discussions

No

1) Please indicate:

Female

2) Age:

11-18

Other (Please describe your reasons) - just looking around the internet for stuff about the show and happened to find a great website

Friends

Other (Please describe your reasons) - i have been for so long, it would be weird to not talk about it and talk to all these people and watch it every week and all that jazz. i don't even like the show that much anymore, but i'm still active here.

12-19hours

if people are discussing the show, i talk about it, and sometimes i randomly bring it up. when i adored the show -- in the first two seasons -- i talked about it all the time; i quoted it, i discussed it with my friends. now, even when i tell people i watch it every week, i also say it's a bad show.

not really, but i haven't attempted to make it. i think that giving the fans exactly what they want cuts down on the creative license of the creator and the writers and such. i'd rather just take what they have to give me than force what i want to happen on the show. that's what fanfics are for.

reading and writing fanfiction, lots of discussions

No

b)If so, which ones?

looking for grey's anatomy fansites, but the only reason i'm not a part of any is because i haven't found any websites as good as this

c) How do they compare?

i've only looked for grey's anatomy fansites, and from what i've seen, less passionate and less forums. but it's a new show, so give it time and i'm sure it will be huge too.

1) Please indicate:

Female

2) Age:

19-35

The Show

Friends

Other (Please describe your reasons): fanfiction

0-5 hours

i stopped talking about the show, when i noticed my friends weren't interested, so i kinda gave up lol. they know i watch the show and love it, that's it.

no- haven't noticed anything ;)

reading fanfiction, discussions

No

1) Please indicate:

Female

2) Age:

19-35

Looking for more analysis/info about the show (after I saw Phase One of Alias, I wanted to talk to people to get their reactions to the episode).

The Show

Friends

(All of the above. Also, being a moderator I now have responsibilities to maintain on this site.)

6-10 hours (it depends on what's going on. If I'm running a contest, I'm here for at least an hour a day).

I do, usually just by saying that I like the show. Close friends would call me obsessed because I try to convert them.

No, I've never expected a show to cater to what fans demand. What a fan wants isn't always best for the show.

I write fanfiction, read it, and run the contests for it ^_^

Yes

b)If so, which ones?

Harry Potter
Various Anime (I volunteer and an anime site--www.animeforum.com--and it discusses many shows.

c) How do they compare?

1 -
More passionate (Harry Potter is more so)
Less passionate (Anime is less)

2-
More fansites/forums (for both)

1) Please indicate:

Female

2) Age:

11-18

The Show

6-11hours

Yes, i tell people its one of my greatest interests and also wear show merchandise.ie. t-shirts and bags

no

^ all of the above

No

Back