Internet Fandom Questionnaire

This questionnaire is for my University dissertation project about internet fandoms and fan culture.

1) Please indicate:

Female
2) Age:

50+

3) Why did you first become involved in the show’s fandom?

Wanted to get to know other fans and

Looking for more analysis/info about the show. Following my interest, I began writing Alias fan fiction.

4) Why do you remain in the show’s fandom?

The Show, Friends from all over the world, and the continuing analysis/info about the show. In fact, I write two columns which are posted on different sites (not this one) after each.
I adore the show and the cast. They are wonderful.

5) How many hours a week do you spend in the fandom?

20hours+ this includes sites and writing fan fiction.

6) In the both online (when outside of the fandom) and offline worlds to you regularly identity yourself as a fan of the show? If so, how?
I talk about my writing for the show. Of course, some automatically think I write scripts, so I have to tell them NO...

7) Do you feel that your fandom has given you a voice? Either through show campaigns/conventions/storyline changed as it was not popular with fans? (Please describe your reasons)
Yes, and I've expressed some of my concerns. I'm also of the opinion that some writers on the show do not check back on the show's characters and their backgrounds. I think it's wrong for them to say a date of birth is a certain year, but the profile at the beginning says different. I sometimes believe they think fans don't know anything.

8) What is or has been your level of involvement within the fandom? Eg. Fan-Fiction (reading and writing), buying merchandise, letter writing, fan art or regular discussions.

My biggest involvement is writing stories (45 including 4 book length serials) and editing other writers whom I've met through this and other sites. I buy some merchandise, but not a lot. I am a huge fan of Lena Olin and have bought almost all of her movies.

9) Are you involved in any other fandoms?

No

Your answers are very much appreciated!
Glad to help.
Lenafan

1) Please indicate:

Female

2) Age:

11-18

Wanted to get to know other fans

Looking for more analysis/info about the show

The Show

12-19hours

6) In the both online (when outside of the fandom) and offline worlds to you regularly identity yourself as a fan of the show? If so, how?

conversation with my friends online and offline about the show---some of my friends are also fans so we talk about it when we can

7) Do you feel that your fandom has given you a voice? Either through show campaigns/conventions/storyline changed as it was not popular with fans?

not really---you can express your opinions the way you want to express them but nothing will be done about it---its more like getting it off your chest online

8) What is or has been your level of involvement within the fandom? Eg. Fan-Fiction (reading and writing), buying merchandise, letter writing, fan art or regular discussions.

FAN FICTION :D

No

ALIAS

1) Please indicate: Female
2) Age: 19-35
3) Why did you first become involved in the show’s fandom? Looking for more analysis/info about the show
Other (Please describe your reasons)

I don't really remain part of the show's fandom, due to the fact that I no longer watch the show. I guess I remain a part of the site here because of (1) investment and my role on the board (moderator), and (2) friendships I've forged here with fellow fans.

0-5hours

6) In the both online (when outside of the fandom) and offline worlds to you regularly identity yourself as a fan of the show? If so, how? Not anymore, but I used to. For example, my roommates knew that I was a fan (as I had to use the TV every Thursday to watch it at 9), and I had some real life people at college who knew me mostly as an Alias fan, since when we first met we found out we had that in common. As for online, at the time when I was most involved with the Alias fandom, the only fandom I was a part of was Alias, so I mostly stuck to this forum, and browsed Alias fansites (many of which no longer exist, alas). It was not until the 3rd season of Alias, when my love for it started to wane that I became more of a "fangirl" and started seeking out other sites that focused on elements of the show I was most interested in (rather than just the show as a whole, which is what I first fell in love with). And I also started a livejournal later on that season, I think, so I would talk about Alias there. My first friends on LJ were people from AA.
7) Do you feel that your fandom has given you a voice? Either through show campaigns/conventions/storyline changed as it was not popular with fans? (Please describe your reasons) Umm.. I would say no simply because my views on the show (even before I stopped watching) were divorced from the most popularly held views about it and thus I was not a part of a big enough group to really influence anyone on the show. For example I detested the character of Michael Vaughn, so when he was written out of the show I was elated, and most fans were distraught and joined the "Save MV Campaign." I of course did not. As for having my voice heard, I suppose I should say that I did very often and strongly voice my (often differing) opinion about characters, storylines, etc. -- this had both negative and positive effects. ^_^ But limited mostly to this board.

I have both read and written fanfiction (not very good ones, sadly), and created numerous pieces of fan art. Alias actually launched my interest in digital media, and I have been creating it for other fandoms since... And yes I have participated in regular discussions about the show in the past, as well.

Yes

b)If so, which ones? Many, but most active in: Prison Break, Law and Order: SVU, and ER
c) How do they compare?

1 -
More passionate than my current level of passion for Alias, but less than my previous level (during seasons 1 and 2)

2-
More fansites/forums (simply because at AA I found a home, whereas with the other fandoms there isn't really one single place to do everything and all related to the fandom...)

3- Please describe any other differences.

OK...

Prison Break
There is a lot more focus on fanfiction in this fandom but for some reason I have yet been unable to produce a piece for it that I like at all. My participation in the fandom is similar to my former participation in the Alias fandom because in its initial stages (as with PB), my greatest interest is to discuss the show with like-minded individuals. Unfortunately, I've found that as a person who has (through watching the evolution of Alias) come to detest when writers throw a "main couple" together, I have to now seek out individuals and small groups where people agree with me, since with PB, as in Alias, there is a main couple with all sorts of UST that the writers have given them for no apparent reason other than to create a romantic aspect to the show (which is very contrived). Otherwise I'd say that my participation in the PB fandom is extremely similar to my initial love for the Alias fandom (since back then I wasn't as TV-savvy, and bought the "main couple" thing hook, line and sinker).

SVU
Extremely different fandom because of the nature of the episodes (there is an overarching storyline, but it is very weak and the writers feel free to adjust it when necessary, without backing up any changes with canon). This is just how it works; it's not necessarily a bad thing (though everyone, I think, likes continuity). But anyway, it's nothing like Alias. My main interest in SVU is (1) for the stories of law and order (as long as they don't go too far), and (2) my shipper love for a non-canonical couple on the show (Elliot/Olivia). ^_^ Yes, dorky, maybe, but I've loved them since I first caught the show off and on, a few years after it started airing. My obsession with the show doesn't run as deep as it did for Alias, but I do download episodes I've missed, since some things have been happening on the show recently regarding the couple I ship for, and I don't want to miss any "moments." ;)

ER
Very different kind of love for this show in that I don't even like most of the characters. But about three of them I love enough to keep tuning in, and rooting for certain things to happen to them. I allow myself to miss some episodes, as long as I don't read later that I missed a big scene with my favorite characters in it. In that case I will download the episode. But ER is more of a peripheral fandom for me, especially since I only started watching it a couple of years ago when my sister became obsessed with it. With Alias, I watched since the very very beginning. More investment... etc.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Not sure if you count this a major fandom, but here goes...

PRISON BREAK

1) Please indicate: Female
2) Age: 19-35
3) Why did you first become involved in the show’s fandom? Wanted to get to know other fans
(also, secondarily, Looking for more analysis/info about the show)
4) Why do you remain in the show’s fandom?The Show, Friends
5) How many hours a week do you spend in the fandom? 6-11hours
6) In the both online (when outside of the fandom) and offline worlds to you regularly identity yourself as a fan of the show? If so, how? My closest friends (roommates, classmates) know I adore the show, but few others do. As for online, everyone who knows me online knows I adore it, as I write about it all the time on my livejournal and elsewhere (since most all of my participation in the fandom occurs online).
7) Do you feel that your fandom has given you a voice? Either through show campaigns/conventions/storyline changed as it was not popular with fans? (Please describe your reasons) Yes, because the fandom is currently pretty tight-knit, and I know the places online where most of the show's fans go to talk about it, post fiction, etc. So if I chose, I could make sure whatever I wrote about it was read by a very large percentage of the online fanbase for the show. And if I couldn't figure out how to do this myself, I know certain people very active in the fandom who could help me do it.
8) What is or has been your level of involvement within the fandom? Eg. Fan-Fiction (reading and writing), buying merchandise, letter writing, fan art or regular discussions. Just fiction and fanart at this point. Although I am a member of a mailing list, which includes discussions after each episode, and other discussions, most are geared toward the main couple on the show that I dislike and try to ignore as best I can, so lately I have found myself deleting the daily digests I get after I read the titles of the different posts (and the names of the postees) in the header. Unless, of course, I figure out that there might be something actually intersting discussed in that particular digest.

Yes

b)If so, which ones? To be short: Law and Order: SVU and ER
c) How do they compare?

1 -
Less passionate (More passionate for PB, that is)

2-
Less fansites/forums

3- Please describe any other differences. I'm much more interested in PB as a fandom on the whole than I am in the other two. I like almost every aspect of it, rather than a few specific things that I watch the other shows and participate in the other fandoms to enjoy.

1) Please indicate:
Female

2) Age:
19-35 > 20

Looking for more /info about the show

Friends

0-5 hours

I used to be a fan of the show! I am not a fan anymore, I just want to know what is going to happen until the end.

7) Do you feel that your fandom has given you a voice? Either through show campaigns/conventions/storyline changed as it was not popular with fans? (Please describe your reasons)
I would say yes. I tend to think that some people from the tv industry may come here, and read our opinions.

I wrote a fanfiction but I never was able to finish it. And I do many fanarts sometimes related to the show. I boughts one book and the first 2 seasons. Also I sometimes talk with french people about an episode but ti's been a while since I cannot see the last season yet.

Yes, but like Alias so I do not think the results would be different.

b)If so, which ones?
Buffy, Lost, Grey's Anatomy, ER, CSI, 24, Desperate Housewives, etc.

c) How do they compare?
1 -
More passionate

2-
More fansites/forums
Less fansites/forums
^^ I don't really know. For Buffy there are more websites for sure but I don't know for the other tv shows.

The tv shows themselves.

1) Please indicate:

Male

2) Age:

11-18

The Show

Friends

The continuing analysis/info about the show
^^All of the above

6-11hours (that's on average; it depends on how busy I am doing other things during the week.)

6) In the both online (when outside of the fandom) and offline worlds do you regularly identity yourself as a fan of the show? If so, how?

No, if we aren't talking about TV Shows, I usually won't mention anything about Alias or me being a fan.

7) Do you feel that your fandom has given you a voice? Either through show campaigns/conventions/storyline changed as it was not popular with fans?

In certain cases, yes. For example, when the group that I am a member of, SupportAlias.com, sent letters to J.J. Abrams in the hiatus between seasons 3 and 4, he sent letters back aknowledging our opinions. So, while our voices may not change decisions made by the people in charge, it's true that they hear them, and that's important.

I've participated in all of those things, but majorly fan art and fan fiction. I have bought merchandise (shirts, books, magazines, etc.), and I've written letters to J.J. Abrams, and (obviously) visited this forum to discuss recent episodes.

No

For Alias
1) Please indicate:
Female

2) Age:

19-35

both of those and perhaps maybe to check to see if there were other ppl out there like me :lol:

definitely the friends i've made, the show itself and the continuing analysis

20hours+

um, yes, i think so... like, in my AIM profile i usually have a quote and my away messages are quotes... i have an Alias t-shirt, that i dont use THAT much but if people talk about the show i get all overzealous and.. well, scare them really

yea, i'd say the MV campaign is a good example of that

fan fiction - both reading and writing though writing WAY more than reading
fan art, buying some merchandise but not alot, discussions...

Yes

b)If so, which ones?
i used to be involved with alot for the show Friends, but not so much anymore
oh and Harry Potter

c) How do they compare?

1 -
i'd say they're about equally passonate for Friends, but like MORE for harry potter

2-
More fansites/forums - for both Friends and Harry Potter

------------------------------------
For Friends

) Please indicate:
Female

2) Age:

19-35

but then once it was over, i stopped

0-5 hours

yeah, my screenname was FriendsFan... and um i talked about Friends constantly... even tried to get out to LA to see a taping of the show (but as it turned out i was too young at the time)

yea sorta... i think

reading fiction, buying merchandise

Yes

b)If so, which ones?
see previous answer

c) How do they compare?

---------------------------------

Harry Potter....... (does this count? i'll just do it anyway...)
) Please indicate:
Female

2) Age:

19-35

Looking for more analysis/info about the show - or in this case book

and speculation on what's happening next

0-5 hours

not really.... except talk about it with people

no, not really... i just think JKR already knows what shes doing an doesnt really care if the whole world protests

i've read a few fan-fictions.... and bought the books thats about it

Yes

b)If so, which ones?

see previous answer

1) Please indicate:
Female

2) Age:

11-18

The Show

Friends

12-19hours

I've sorta started an "Alias" fellowship at school. :P

yes. Um...projects like SupportAlias and we have been mentioned both on the offical ABC website and in entertainment magazines. ;)

Fan Fics, Fan art, merchandise, regular discussion (both online and offline)

Yes

b)If so, which ones?
House, sorta Grey's Anatomy

c) How do they compare?

1 -
Less passionate - House and Grey's

2-
Less fansites/forums- House and Grey's

The age group for House is generally a little bit older and both House and Grey's fans are a little bit less passionate and obssessive. ;)

--Mandy :angelic:

1) Please indicate:

Female

2) Age:

11-18

Love for the actors/actresses

The Show

The Plot draws me in

12-19hours

Yes, I must admit I am a bit obsessed, and my closest friends know it. When TV in a discussion comes up, it's automatically a battle if they watch CSI over Alias...

Yup...I was a member of a site (supportalias.com) that sent stuff to JJ and supported the show

I do them all...both fan fiction (reading and writing), i have the merchandise, i've written types of letters, had discussions and have done fan art in PSP9 and Paint

Yes

b)If so, which ones?

Media Blvd...it has many different shows I watch. I also used to be involved in SafeSearching for Charmed.

c) How do they compare?

1 -
Less passionate

2-
Less fansites/forums

Media Blvd. is huge...they don't so much focus on one show and all, which means there isn't a lot of discussions compared to AA. Safesearching...was about all shows but it mainly centered in on Charmed, but it wasn't that great. AA is the best I've been a part of.

1) Please indicate:

Female

2) Age:

11-18

The Show

Friends

12-19hours

Absolutely. I talk to others about the show and regularly discuss different aspects of the show with other fans.

I think it has. For instance, through the MV Campaign we managed to tell some people involved with Alias that we wanted Michael Vartan to stay on the show. Also, with the Keep Alias Alive petition we told JJ Abrams that moving Alias to thursday nights wouldn't be the best choice for the show (and we were right!)

Fanfiction, buying merchandise, fanart, and regular discussions.

No

Back