Internet Friends

I was just wondering if any other AA members get weird looks from their friends and family when they mention that they have friends online?

My sister gave me the strangest look when i tell her things about Joyie (Yes you are famous in my house hun), but usually its things like "...and then i said this and joyie said that and oh you really had to be there.." She doesnt get it at all and is totally convinced that Joyie is a 40 year old man, (which is not strictly untrue, but i digress) :rolleyes:

My parents just smile and say thats nice dear and when i told a friend at work that i was part of a forum she went "me too!! except this guy i talks to keeps trying to convince my boyfriend and i to come around for a threesome". At this point i go "NO NO thats NOT the kind of forum im a member of" (then runs swiftly off in the other direction). :confused:

So induldge an ill, and extremly bored AA member and tell me any funny story's you have :D

lol, night before i went to Alias convention, i was talking to my friend, and he was like, "i hope you're not planning on meeting any people off the internet there, steph." i was like, "well yes actually i am." and he went: "Steph, thats so stupid, they're all going to be paedofiles! i can't believe you are being so stupid!" i just replied, "uhh. no, they're not all paedofiles, and they're not going to kill me. if they try to, i'll call the police, and if you think about it, theres gonna be like 200 people there. not exactly a good place to kill someone, is it?!" he still remains unconvinced.... :lol:

I was just wondering if any other AA members get weird looks from their friends and family when they mention that they have friends online?

I think my mum would probably be scared if she knew I was actually talking to people! She know I come here, and she knows it's a forum, but she doesn't know what a forum is! But I'm on the Internet 8 hours+ some days(Goodness, that sounds sick!). Meg can have a conversation with me about here...cause she comes here...but I haven't seen her around here lately. I think tearchers just blank everything I say out though!

Jai

YES! i get this all the time from my friends
they think im like going to be violently murdered or something!!!!!!!!!
I talk to tons of ppl from this board and other boards.
My friends are like "do you know how dangerous this is blah blah blah these people may say they are 20 but you know thye are 50 year old men sitting in their basement blah blah blah"
ok serioulsy - thats a little conspiricy theory even for me
whatever...
and dont even get my started on what my mom says - she yells at me like every day....
whatever :rolleyes:

Yeah, all my friends are pretty much convinced everyone I talk to are ax murderers trying to kill me...my parents would freak too if they knew about it... but some of my best friends are on the internet!

My friends are like "do you know how dangerous this is blah blah blah these people may say they are 20 but you know thye are 50 year old men sitting in their basement blah blah blah"
ok serioulsy - thats a little conspiricy theory even for me

Ha ha! But y'know, of all the millions of people on the internet, I don't think that they can all be 50 year old perverts and axe murderers!

Jai

lol, my mum is always like, "are you sure that [someone's name], 16, isn't actually Brian, 42 from London?"
so i'm like, "no... but i don't plan on going to meet anyone anytime soon, so i'm sure i'll be fine.." :rolleyes:

My mom had a phase like that too. But you can't really blame them for being ultra vigilant. Yes you are right not everyone on the web is a 50 year old (or 47) pedophile. But the problem is that it only takes 1 to seriously screw you up for life. And as a parent, that's the worst thing they could possibly imagine.

a few of my internet friends have turned into real life friends.

like Katie!!!!!!! ehhe we met on here then we met in person :D

uhhhh yea my parents are just like "be careful" and they don't like it when i talk about the possibility of meeting lots of internet friends in person and they don't really know how many forums i belong to. but katie and i were really careful about meeting and it worked out really well so my parents were happy about that.
my friends think it's weird that i have friends on the internet but they don't really know what it's like because they don't belogn to lots of forums so they are missing out! :P

Well, my mom would definitely freak if she knew how many people I talk to online, & my dad sort of knows I talk to people I don't know & stuff, & I don't think he really minds.

My friends are always like, 'be careful' & 'watch, you're talking to some 50 year old man instead of a 16 year old girl!' I'm just sort of like, I'll be fine, don't worry, I doubt I'd meet any of these people in real life anyways.

<span style='font-size:9pt;line-height:100%'>Yeah I know everyone's so over protect these days, it's not like they know exactly where you live and aren't probably ever gonna meet you! </span>

Good question! Maybe that's the prime of most internet perverts lives? But shouldn't Alias-perverts be 47?

<span style='font-size:9pt;line-height:100%'>Yeah I thinks so, lol :lol: </span>

My parents are kind of clueless. They kind of have the idea that I have internet friends, but they don't really look into it. My sister on the other hand....She'll practically spy on me! She'll go into my AIM account and see who I have on my buddy list. When she sees 'Aliasbabe' or 'Aliasmaniac', she knows I met them online. Sometimes I lie and say they go to my school, but unfornately, I'm a bad liar. I minimize the windows all the time, so of course they get suspicious, but what should I do? So I told her that they are webdesigners. I say that I ask them how to do stuff, and that's why I IM them. That's partially true, because most of them are webdesigners. She seemed okay with that, but not really. But yeah, I get the usual "they could be Osama Bin Laden" thing, but would a terrorist really waste his time posting 1000000 posts on a message board? I dont think so.

My mom used to get worried...but I explained to her that it's not like I'm giving out any provate information...its just Alias talk, or stuff abt other tv shows or movies, or just plain randomness....so now she's a bit less concerned...I guess...

and my dad's sorta clueless :lol:

Good question! Maybe that's the prime of most internet perverts lives? But shouldn't Alias-perverts be 47?

:lol:

Back